Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm trying to gatekeep it out of the bad genre and into the lucrative "indie bullet hell roguelike" bucket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I'm trying to gatekeep it out of the bad genre and into the lucrative "indie bullet hell roguelike" bucket.

it is 2008. you are trying to argue that spelunky cannot be a roguelike because roguelikes are for smelly grogs and spelunky is too good to be a roguelike.

this is not a battle you can win, friend

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nrook posted:

I was wondering recently. In its structure as a roguelike, TVRUHH is what I might call a “cheevo game”; the player’s goal when playing is typically to pick up various achievements by engaging with the game in a variety of ways. This structure typically coincides with a bunch of metaprogression (so the game has something to reward you with for getting cheevos) but it doesn’t necessarily have to. What are some other roguelikes like this? Isaac is, right?

I'd say Revita, although it's got like a seventh the cheevos of Isaac and TVRUHH

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Drone Incognito posted:

I'm also going to shill a game that isn't really a roguelike, but the developer made One Step from Eden and iterated on it.

"Build a deck"

Yes

"and battle"

YES

"online"

gently caress that poo poo.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I play roguelikes/lites because the only time I have to deal with other people is reading about how much better at the game they are than me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

"Build a deck"

Yes

"and battle"

YES

"online"

gently caress that poo poo.

If you don't want the online pvp just play the game it's based on, One Step from Eden

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm sad to report I am not as good as TVRUHH as I thought, as it turns out I can only beat Torrent Rain mode with the Defect, which is way easier than the other characters because she gets healed after every battle. I finally unlocked the last 2 characters and I can't even get through Heavy Rain with them.

Although I might be getting artificially derailed a bit by charging hard at finishing every monster dream I get offered.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Countblanc posted:

If you don't want the online pvp just play the game it's based on, One Step from Eden

I have, but "iterated on One Step from Eden" sounded like a good thing too.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

No Wave posted:

mad because bad

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

No Wave posted:

Yes, I lack the character to enjoy stage memorization. So does almost everyone else and its why you all only play 15 year old games. This is why I would like to free Void Rains from your sick clutches (you guys dont even like the game).

Is Dezatopia a SHMUP? Stage order isn't randomized, but there are dozens of different routes with different victory conditions that take you through 4 or 5 of the games 30+ stages. The game also has adaptive bullet patters that get easier as you play worse and get harder as you play better, and the items that show up in the shop are randomized, so on any given run your 4 weapons might not always be upgraded the same amount, and your stock of shields and bombs might be different. You get to choose which route you'll play - would it stop being a SHMUP if the game picked one for you at random?

Is Raycrisis a SHMUP? Stage order is somewhat randomized (first and last stage are fixed, middle 3 are chosen randomly from a set of 5, with variants depending on the order they show up), but there's also an "encroachment" system that represents the cyberspace the game takes place in being taken over by viruses, which goes up over time but decreases as you kill enemies. The game changes depending on the encroachment level, including potentially kicking you straight to the final boss if it gets too high.

ZeroRanger was definitely a SHMUP at release, but the devs added a side mode where you play through a bunch of short, one screen segments at random. Is that enough to free it from the SHMUP taint, or does the fact that each individual segment is still handcrafted drag it down?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

the argument is that the defining characteristics of shmups is that they're bad, so yes, star fox is a shmup

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

ZeroRanger was definitely a SHMUP at release, but the devs added a side mode where you play through a bunch of short, one screen segments at random. Is that enough to free it from the SHMUP taint, or does the fact that each individual segment is still handcrafted drag it down?
1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 2-1, and 2-2 are so SHMUP that unfortunately it counts. If the entire game was like 2-4 I would be trying to exempt it. Cant speak to the others, things like dynamic difficulty in arcade modes are in general shmup tells because it leaves score attack and 1CC untouched (the most important/defining modes of a shmup).

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Basically I think you're doing the same thing as when people would try to argue that Persona 4 isn't anime, really, because anime is bad but Persona 4 is good. There's not a clean line to be drawn between TVRUVUVH and other shmups, and there tons of games that are universally considered SHMUPS that have elements you claim are disqualifying. (Is Kokuga a shmup? Is Warning Forever a shmup? Is The Mode In Radiant Silvergun That Adds Permenant Metaprogression a shmup? etc etc)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

no if it has metaprogression it's a roguelike

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Snake Maze posted:

Basically I think you're doing the same thing as when people would try to argue that Persona 4 isn't anime, really, because anime is bad but Persona 4 is good. There's not a clean line to be drawn between TVRUVUVH and other shmups, and there tons of games that are universally considered SHMUPS that have elements you claim are disqualifying. (Is Kokuga a shmup? Is Warning Forever a shmup? Is The Mode In Radiant Silvergun That Adds Permenant Metaprogression a shmup? etc etc)
Even if the line is blurry TVRUHH is on the wrong side of it because the game design is not memorizing levels it is responding to situations. The contention is whether level memorization and routing them for score or 1CC is a mandatory part of shmups and if you look at the behavior of shmup discussion and the thing shmup players like that other people hate for the last 20 years it absolutely is. You can disagree, thats fine, I just wanted to summarize what I mean because I obviously have spoken on this topic too much already.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Genre disagreements are a traditional rogue-like because you continuously restart and it's unlikely anyone will ever win

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Genre disagreements are a traditional rogue-like because you continuously restart and it's unlikely anyone will ever win

Not only that, there's no metaprogression, in the sense that we never loving learn from our mistakes :v:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Roki B posted:

You're a schmup and the only ship I believe in is Theseus'.

SHMUP of Theseus.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

oh cool look at all these new posts something new must've come out

oh genre arguments, lame.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Slotducks posted:

oh cool look at all these new posts something new must've come out

oh genre arguments, lame.

Literally half the time, it’s this.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

madmatt112 posted:

Literally half the time, it’s this.

yep and ill never not poke my head in

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

We should start probating people for this, for our own sakes. Take the bottle away from me mods, don't give it back no matter how much I beg

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Raptor: call of the shadows

It’s not a roguelike but it does rule

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

wait... is that background image... Biomega??

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Talking about genres like they are god given unbreakable mandates and not entirely man made classifications for convenience and ease of sorting will always be so strange to me

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

No Wave posted:

I'm going to throw some poop here but I dont even classify TVRUHH as a shmup.
unfathomably stupid take

No Wave posted:

Almost all of the most admired shmups (like the ~CAVE~ and ikaruga) are games with close to zero randomness
There are lots of shmups with heavily random elements. Frequently including bullet patterns!
Most touhou games include at least some random bullet patterns, some of which have the potential to wall you if you get unlucky on higher difficulties.
Darius Gaiden has randomized score items, making playing for score on the higher end an exercise in RNG.
Gradius II and IV have a lot of randomized stage hazards, like the volcanos and crystals. Also, as you loop, the revenge bullets enemies get are randomized.
Cho Ren Sha 68k, the GOAT, also contains heavily randomized revenge bullets on loop. Honestly a lot of older shmups do, it was a trend for a bit.

Those are just a few examples that come to mind, but you get the point. Everything in your posts on this subject points towards you being someone who doesn't really play shmups or have a great deal of understanding about them, so who the gently caress are you to gatekeep what is and is not a shmup?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Video games aren't Divine in origin? Then what did God do on Sunday hm?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
All this talk about genre definitions prompted me to re-read the Berlin Interpretation, and:

It is WAY WORSE than I remember. It's next to useless, and has probably harmed the genre almost as much as Rogue Legacy.

The lowights, for me are:

1. Grid-based. Nope. While grids are certainly easier to program, I don't see what RLs gain by disavowing non-grid-based environments. Plus that bit at the end about how players and monsters must always occupy one cell of the grid - again, this is just a loss, and I'm glad actual games have felt free to ignore it.
2. Turn-based. If I'm playing Spelunky or Barony or FTL and pause to think out my next move, I'm getting all the same benefits that the author claims turn-based games provide.
3. Non-modal. This is why more classic RLs have you "quaff" potions or "evoke" wands or whatever, and why newer ones forget this stupid requirement and just show you an easy inventory menu.
4. Complexity. Complexity is a good thing in all genres - seems like a waste of space to try to ascribe it to one in particular.
5. Hack-n-slash. They buried a turd here. Read it to the end, especially this part: "there are no monster/monster relations (like enmities, or diplomacy)". Tricking enemies into fighting each other is incredibly fun I think, especially in Shiren, and seeing how they interact naturally in Caves of Qud is also interesting. Trying to legislate it out - as a footnote - is embarassing.
6. Single player character. More than the other items on the list, I do get why they put it here, but I still dislike it. A squad-based roguelike could be great IMO. FTL approaches this idea very nicely.
7. ASCII display. You do not dictate a game's art style as part of a genre definition. The other points are just dumb mostly, this one actually makes me angry.

So I've basically gone from "the Berlin Interpretation was OK for its time" to "it was never good and should be expunged".

A note at the end of the RogueBasin article is helpful: "In the wider gaming community the term roguelike or "with roguelike elements" is more popularly used to describe any game combining permadeath with procedural content." This is gonna be my good-enough definition for the foreseeable future.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

what the gently caress is a roguelike do you guys mean rougelikes? :dva:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tequila Bob posted:

All this talk about genre definitions prompted me to re-read the Berlin Interpretation, and:

It is WAY WORSE than I remember. It's next to useless, and has probably harmed the genre almost as much as Rogue Legacy.
The Berlin interpretation is still just as useful as it ever was when you understand that it does not exist to serve as a way to make value judgements about how good any game is, but instead to literally show how "like" the game Rogue it is.

So your examples like this one-

quote:

5. Hack-n-slash. They buried a turd here. Read it to the end, especially this part: "there are no monster/monster relations (like enmities, or diplomacy)". Tricking enemies into fighting each other is incredibly fun I think, especially in Shiren,
-are missing the point.
It doesn't matter whether monster infighting is good or not, it and other complex relations like it do not exist in Rogue.

So, if a different game also just has simplistic monster relations without diplomacy, that is a similarity it has with the game Rogue. It is, quite literally, like Rogue in that sense. That's the whole point.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

I hope you soon get to choose whether or not to identify your items

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tequila Bob posted:

The lowights, for me are:

1. Grid-based. Nope. While grids are certainly easier to program, I don't see what RLs gain by disavowing non-grid-based environments. Plus that bit at the end about how players and monsters must always occupy one cell of the grid - again, this is just a loss, and I'm glad actual games have felt free to ignore it.
2. Turn-based. If I'm playing Spelunky or Barony or FTL and pause to think out my next move, I'm getting all the same benefits that the author claims turn-based games provide.
3. Non-modal. This is why more classic RLs have you "quaff" potions or "evoke" wands or whatever, and why newer ones forget this stupid requirement and just show you an easy inventory menu.
4. Complexity. Complexity is a good thing in all genres - seems like a waste of space to try to ascribe it to one in particular.
5. Hack-n-slash. They buried a turd here. Read it to the end, especially this part: "there are no monster/monster relations (like enmities, or diplomacy)". Tricking enemies into fighting each other is incredibly fun I think, especially in Shiren, and seeing how they interact naturally in Caves of Qud is also interesting. Trying to legislate it out - as a footnote - is embarassing.
6. Single player character. More than the other items on the list, I do get why they put it here, but I still dislike it. A squad-based roguelike could be great IMO. FTL approaches this idea very nicely.
7. ASCII display. You do not dictate a game's art style as part of a genre definition. The other points are just dumb mostly, this one actually makes me angry.

So I've basically gone from "the Berlin Interpretation was OK for its time" to "it was never good and should be expunged".

A note at the end of the RogueBasin article is helpful: "In the wider gaming community the term roguelike or "with roguelike elements" is more popularly used to describe any game combining permadeath with procedural content." This is gonna be my good-enough definition for the foreseeable future.

I don't especially like the berlin interpretation but this entire post is based on the misunderstanding that it is a list of rules instead of a list of commonly seen features which contribute to how like rogue something is

also I'm pretty sure an inventory screen doesn't count as non-modal, it just means like there's no world map and when fights start you don't get teleported to the Fight Dimension

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

LazyMaybe posted:

The Berlin interpretation is still just as useful as it ever was when you understand that it does not exist to serve as a way to make value judgements about how good any game is, but instead to literally show how "like" the game Rogue it is.

It is actually neither of those. It is a definition of the term "roguelike", and as a definition is is full of arbitrary clauses and needless restrictions.

LazyMaybe posted:

It doesn't matter whether monster infighting is good or not, it and other complex relations like it do not exist in Rogue.

So, if a different game also just has simplistic monster relations without diplomacy, that is a similarity it has with the game Rogue. It is, quite literally, like Rogue in that sense. That's the whole point.

Did you really just say "it and other complex relations like it do not exist in Rogue"? Because "complexity" is highlighted as a requirement for a roguelike elsewhere in the same document. The BI is being weird in encouraging "complexity" in the vaguest terms possible, while forbidding this one source of complexity very specifically.

cock hero flux posted:

I don't especially like the berlin interpretation but this entire post is based on the misunderstanding that it is a list of rules instead of a list of commonly seen features which contribute to how like rogue something is

The BI itself claims to be a definition of "roguelike". So that's how I'm evaluating it.

cock hero flux posted:

also I'm pretty sure an inventory screen doesn't count as non-modal, it just means like there's no world map and when fights start you don't get teleported to the Fight Dimension

I'm not gonna get worked up about it, but I will let you know that the word "modal" actually does apply to inventory screens and the like. Notice that the BI itself calls out Crawl's shops as non-modal.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tequila Bob posted:

The BI itself claims to be a definition of "roguelike". So that's how I'm evaluating it.

to quote directly from it:
"This list can be used to determine how roguelike a game is. Missing
some points does not mean the game is not a roguelike. Likewise,
possessing some points does not mean the game is a roguelike. "

Tequila Bob posted:

I'm not gonna get worked up about it, but I will let you know that the word "modal" actually does apply to inventory screens and the like. Notice that the BI itself calls out Crawl's shops as non-modal.
Crawl shops are modal, yes, but inventory screens are not. Again, to quote: "Every action should be available at any point of the game." When you enter a shop in DCSS, you are sent into the Shop Mode, in which you can select items to buy which will then be added to your inventory. These items do not exist in the standard mode until they are purchased. A non-modal shop would be an actual room you can walk around in with the items for sale physically present in it and a way in which you could trade money for them. This is different from an inventory screen, which is a thing you can access at any time to view items in your possession and choose actions to perform with them. That's not a new mode; it's just a way of selecting specific actions which are then performed in the standard mode.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

the fundamental axiom of roguelikes is "it uses the numpad or hjklyubn for character movement" imo

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

nrook posted:

I hope you soon get to choose whether or not to identify your items

Wow, hoping for my death because I criticized something you like.

Personally, I hope you don't die, and I hope you do get a better definition of Roguelike to defend and don't have to make excuses for.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tequila Bob posted:

It is actually neither of those. It is a definition of the term "roguelike", and as a definition is is full of arbitrary clauses and needless restrictions.
It is defining "roguelike" as, essentially, "like Rogue", and giving a list of similarities to Rogue, the more of which a game has, the more "like Rogue" aka Roguelike it is.
You may disagree but it is a very straightforward and reasonable definition. The only part that is really subjective is the ordering of which aspects are more important and which are less important, but I doubt many people who are truly familiar with RLs would disagree that "Random environment generation" and "Permadeath" belong at the top of the list while "ASCII display", "Dungeons" and "Numbers" are less important to the feel of the genre.

Tequila Bob posted:

Did you really just say "it and other complex relations like it do not exist in Rogue"?
Obviously I am talking about complex monster relations there, given the context(talking about the listed aspect saying "there are no monster/monster relations like enmities, or diplomacy".)
And yes, Rogue does not have these sorts of more complex monster relations. There is no monster infighting, no monster diplomacy, etc. Monsters only exist to be obstacles to the player and cannot be reasoned with and will not fight each other. That's just how the game is, so other games also being like that makes them more like Rogue.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

cock hero flux posted:

to quote directly from it:
"This list can be used to determine how roguelike a game is. Missing
some points does not mean the game is not a roguelike. Likewise,
possessing some points does not mean the game is a roguelike. "

I haven't forgotten it says this. But then, how is it that the BI can claim to be a definition of roguelike (which it does claim) when it's not even definite?

My point is, as a definition of a game genre, it's a failure which has had negative effects on the games in the genre.

If we ignore its claim to be a definition, then sure, it goes from being a very poor definition to just an arbitrary list of some features from some games in 2008.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_(user_interface)

An inventory screen is "modal" specifically because your input changes while you have it open. You can't move or attack while it's open. Rogue and Nethack use "quaff" and "evoke" commands specifically to avoid inventory screens and remain non-modal.

Unlike the term "roguelike", this is actually pretty cut-and-dry already.

Tequila Bob fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 13, 2024