Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Finally getting around to building the P-Bandai Cucuruz Doan's Island High Mobility Zaku I bought before moving. The physical design is very nice (slight modification of the usual Origin Zakus) but christ, these water-slides are awful.

My previous experience with waterslide decals was 10+ year old MG designs where they were lovely to work with, especially compared to stickers, but these feel... Thick? And on this kit they're expected to fit onto curved and cornered surfaces all over the drat thing, so it's just awful. They don't handle being 'curved' very well and look and feel super plasticky. Debating just peeling them off and painting the camo on instead. Are modern waterslides all this poo poo or is it just a P-Bandai quality thing?

Actually now that I think about it I think most of the ones I liked on older MGs were water transfer decals. Which presumably they don't even do anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I've also got the high mobility zaku waiting in the log, which I bought the delpi decals for

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Cerebulon posted:

Are modern waterslides all this poo poo or is it just a P-Bandai quality thing?
Most Bandai waterslides feel thick and rubbery and I always just get Delpi/SIMP/Evo if I can, or Aliexpress knock-offs if I can't.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Pierson posted:

Most Bandai waterslides feel thick and rubbery and I always just get Delpi/SIMP/Evo if I can, or Aliexpress knock-offs if I can't.

I’ve heard this before and always wondered if the waterslides included in the Ver Ka kits fall into this bucket? Not sure if they use the same process as the ones that are packaged separately that I see on the wall of the hobby shop, in other words.

Really trying to figure out if I should buy 3rd party waterslides for any Ver Ka kits I guess.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Will probably vary between kits and age but the ones for the Zeta Ka were thick as hell.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
How do yall handle aftermarket decals for kits that didn't come with them?
I'm using like photo references where I can but it's been a challenge lol.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

w00tazn posted:

Yeah, the best I’ve got is that sometimes there’s numbered photos on the website that don’t come with the sheet. Running into a similar issue with the metal detail parts on the Sazabi Ver Ka I rescued from work.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

w00tazn posted:

Do you mean in general or for a specific kit? Maybe I'm misinterpreting your question but if you've got extra decals for a kit I think your best bet is photo references (either official or other peoples' builds). If you're talking more in general decal placement there's no hard and fast rule, some people have their own ideology but usually it's "place it where it looks good". I can expand on what I do if that's the angle of your question

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/hobby_magazine/status/1767333938656383235

More P Bandai ffs.

Bandai, please. I want to buy your WFM kits but come on, give me the means. We're not so lucky to have P-Bandai in Canada. This isn't something like the Llfrith Jiu or the Anavata, I understand making those ones P-Bandai, but this is from the show itself.

I'm really annoyed by this, tbh. Recolors, sure. Some parts variation, sure. But there's whole bespoke designs like the Llfrith Pre Production, the Heingra and now the Gundnode that are getting thrown into P-Bandai jail. Or you have baffling decisions like the Expansion Parts kit being P Bandai while the Aerial's flight pack gets retail, or all of the grunt suit designs getting a retail version except for the Demi Garrison. There's no rhyme or reason to it at all and any time a new WFM kit gets shown my enthusiasm dies when I see that goddamn PB tag next to it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 12, 2024

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Arc Hammer posted:

More P Bandai ffs.

Bandai, please. I want to buy your WFM kits but come on, give me the means. We're not so lucky to have P-Bandai in Canada. This isn't something like the Llfrith Jiu or the Anavata, I understand making those ones P-Bandai, but this is from the show itself.

I'm really annoyed by this, tbh. Recolors, sure. Some parts variation, sure. But there's whole bespoke designs like the Llfrith Pre Production, the Heingra and now the Gundnode that are getting thrown into P-Bandai jail. Or you have baffling decisions like the Expansion Parts kit being P Bandai while the Aerial's flight pack gets retail, or all of the grunt suit designs getting a retail version except for the Demi Garrison. There's no rhyme or reason to it at all and any time a new WFM kit gets shown my enthusiasm dies when I see that goddamn PB tag next to it.

Please understand. They can't possibly cater to small third-world countries like Canada. :nallears:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/hobby_magazine/status/1767333938656383235

More P Bandai ffs.

Do they really not ship to canada? That's loving wild

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

I feel like this has to be like half of what I post in this thread.

But once again,

gently caress P-Bandai.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The really weird thing for me is how many Kyoukai Senki kits they've announced that aren't P-Bandai. There are seven kits for the web anime, and all of them are mass retail, while a lot of other things announced recently (even things without a P-Bandai marker on sites) seem to be P-Bandai only. It's odd.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Nuebot posted:

I had to use a third party shipping company that specifically does cross-border stuff just to get my PG Phenex.

e: Also I remember setting up a P Bandai account and it has an option to set your country as Canada, but using it will just throw an error in your face with no explanation why.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So to make the Gund-Node's hexagonal array you'd need one for each point and then one in the center, so seven total.

Now imagine that P-Bandai puts a six per customer limit on orders.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

So to make the Gund-Node's hexagonal array you'd need one for each point and then one in the center, so seven total.

Now imagine that P-Bandai puts a six per customer limit on orders.

pretty sure they limit you to 3 normally lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nuebot posted:

No Canada, no Australia, be surprised if they serviced the UK at all.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

be surprised if they serviced the UK at all.

They do not.

Europe P-Bandai launched last year in France only and has had the same half-dozen Wing/UC spin-off kits on sale since launch.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BisbyWorl posted:

I had to use a third party shipping company that specifically does cross-border stuff just to get my PG Phenex.

e: Also I remember setting up a P Bandai account and it has an option to set your country as Canada, but using it will just throw an error in your face with no explanation why.

Man, if I wasn't so tight on money right now I'd try to help out people who couldn't get it shipped directly to them or something because that's lame as hell

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lemon-Lime posted:

They do not.

Europe P-Bandai launched last year in France only and has had the same half-dozen Wing/UC spin-off kits on sale since launch.

Amazing.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

No Canada, no Australia, be surprised if they serviced the UK at all.

We literally only just started getting Gunpla officially in the UK, let alone P-Bandai. There was a small handful of stores where you could buy Gunpla, and everything you brought would have a sticker for a company called Cosmic Group, a French(?) distributor. So any UK stores were importing from Europe.
Bandai has started official distribution in the UK now, but it's still only a very small number of stores. In fact, the only new place that I know of that's selling Gunpla now that wasn't before is Hamleys, a really big toy store in London. The Forbidden Planet megastore in London had a small amount of Gunpla before, but now that they're getting stuff from Bandai they're selling a good amount more (though it's still only one small wall in the corner).

Maybe it'll spread out more eventually, but it's still hard to find places that sell Gunpla, it's not in any major chain hobby or toy shops. I only know of four stores in London that sell Gunpla, and one of those is in Croydon so that barely counts.

Digihazard
Nov 2, 2010

If you place the milk in before the bag, I will kill you and your family while they sleep.

Veotax posted:

We literally only just started getting Gunpla officially in the UK, let alone P-Bandai. There was a small handful of stores where you could buy Gunpla, and everything you brought would have a sticker for a company called Cosmic Group, a French(?) distributor. So any UK stores were importing from Europe.
Bandai has started official distribution in the UK now, but it's still only a very small number of stores. In fact, the only new place that I know of that's selling Gunpla now that wasn't before is Hamleys, a really big toy store in London. The Forbidden Planet megastore in London had a small amount of Gunpla before, but now that they're getting stuff from Bandai they're selling a good amount more (though it's still only one small wall in the corner).

Maybe it'll spread out more eventually, but it's still hard to find places that sell Gunpla, it's not in any major chain hobby or toy shops. I only know of four stores in London that sell Gunpla, and one of those is in Croydon so that barely counts.

GunplaUK are official partners with Bandai, they get freebies for contests and stuff. I think a lot of the online stores (ilovegunpla etc) still just use their own contacts and work through resellers?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oh yeah, there's plenty of online shops (I mostly use https://www.kikatek.com/ lately, they have an HLJ style private warehouse, so you don't need to ship immediately!), I was mostly talking about retail stores.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Pierson posted:

Was going to go for one of those, but shipping from the manufacturers is fifty five US Dollars. For what would presumably be a small envelope. And none of the UK resellers that resell G-rework or Delphi decals (who both make sheets for these Southern Cross Ground Type Zakus) stock it, so it looks like this is going back on the backlog pile until US-UK shipping stops sucking (lol).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/lynxpoopoo/status/1767469156927209855?t=vz_bcG4LFXR3qYgSIlImRw&s=19

Who could have seen that coming.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Why do they even have a stock limit on this? If the p-bandai stuff is supposed to be a one-off run why not size that run off of how many people preordered?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

brand engager posted:

Why do they even have a stock limit on this? If the p-bandai stuff is supposed to be a one-off run why not size that run off of how many people preordered?

They usually add more runs for sold out items, depending on expected demand. I remember the Barbatos MG armor got a bunch of refreshes when it first went up.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

They usually add more runs for sold out items, depending on expected demand. I remember the Barbatos MG armor got a bunch of refreshes when it first went up.

Sure, but I think the question is "Why not open orders for a set period of time, tally up the orders you get in that time frame, and allocate production based on absolute demand?"

I suspect the answer is "so they can accurately commit to a deliverable timetable" or something similar. Since it might be difficult to schedule for 50,000 orders deliverable in 6 months when you were expecting 20,000.

edit: See also the fact that P-Bandai will put up reissues with a later delivery date as their way of extending a run. I think they did this with the GM Spartan because I remember when I first went looking for it, I found the old lot and didn't realize a new lot had been posted.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
drat, the Calibarn is such an amazing little HG kit. Looks so clean, goes together like a dream, poses great. They even packed in a stand. And it’s cheap to boot! I slapped it in some basic pose with the bits on and the boosters open on the broom and it looks so dynamic and cool.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Tanon posted:

drat, the Calibarn is such an amazing little HG kit. Looks so clean, goes together like a dream, poses great. They even packed in a stand. And it’s cheap to boot! I slapped it in some basic pose with the bits on and the boosters open on the broom and it looks so dynamic and cool.

It is extremely rad. Pop a little panel lining on it too and it really pops. I was worried about the smoky translucent pieces but they worked out great

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

the mg tallgeese 3 had like four cycles of immediately selling out and getting put back up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do wonder if Bandai ever stops to consider if a PB release wasn't the best move based on overwhelming demand.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How well do Gundam Markers work? I normally only use panel liner pens and they tend to wipe off pretty easily even when supposedly dry. Are gundam markers more like paint pens where the color will bond to the plastic after drying? I bought an Origin Guncannon and I want to try a mix of metallic marker under the visor and then panel line the recessed parts of the visor too.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

brand engager posted:

They probably have only a limited amount of slack in the manufacturing schedule. If that one-off p-bandai run hogs the machines for too too long they might have to push around and reschedule some of their retail stuff. So they set the limit low enough that that doesn't happen. Then if something is really popular someone can manually look through the schedules and find a way to make space for a second run without missing their ship dates for the new HG that needs to be on shelves by March 23rd or whatever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They probably have only a limited amount of slack in the manufacturing schedule. If that one-off p-bandai run hogs the machines for too too long they might have to push around and reschedule some of their retail stuff.

Yeah, like four years ago the limited edition starter box for the new edition of Warhammer sold out instantly due to unexpected demand from everybody stuck at home from Covid needing something to do. So they did a two week made-to-order guaranteed preorder window, and that hosed them up real bad. They basically didn’t release any other new models for like four months, and for a couple years after that at any given time a minimum of 1/3 of their whole product line was out of stock.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

How well do Gundam Markers work? I normally only use panel liner pens and they tend to wipe off pretty easily even when supposedly dry. Are gundam markers more like paint pens where the color will bond to the plastic after drying? I bought an Origin Guncannon and I want to try a mix of metallic marker under the visor and then panel line the recessed parts of the visor too.

I use the standard black/grey/brown combo and they're swell. I just run a qtip over it to take off the excess and the rest gets into the lines and stays there no problem so long as I'm careful where I put my fingers

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Buck Wildman posted:

I use the standard black/grey/brown combo and they're swell. I just run a qtip over it to take off the excess and the rest gets into the lines and stays there no problem so long as I'm careful where I put my fingers

Are those the fill pens or the markers? I'm talking about the ones that you use to color in surfaces, not recesses. Like these ones

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

I actually used one for doing some colour correction on the IBO Gundam Bael the other day, was really impressed with how it came out.

The edges of the V-fin are supposed to be blue, but the part is only moulded in white, so there's stickers. I used the blue marker I happened to have and gave it a try, perfect match for the blue plastic on the kit, and it came out really smoothly.
I don't have any pictures, but I did the same for a larger area on the back of the legs, and that worked, but not as well, there are some small bits where the paint came out darker, but you really need to be looking to see it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The only color I don't really like for the markers is white, although that might just be me not applying it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

It's real paint in them although I don't know what type like water-based etc. I've used the metallic gold and matte clearcoat marker, the tip is plastic with some tiny openings for paint to get pulled through.