Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

Also, it's been a while since we've had a good "dish it out/can't take it" story.

AITA for laughing when my husband embarrassed my mother and father during donner(sic)

Talk poo poo, get hit. Stones/nukes. OP bursting out laughing instead of turning on her husband is a good sign for their marriage. And LOL at mom and dad activating the extended family flying monkey brigade as they drove home from dinner.

enormously satisfying to see some shitheads who get snobby about the ~~*~ivy league~*~~ get completely owned. inject that poo poo directly into my veins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FMguru posted:

Given that OP's initial solution was "I'll just cook him a nice dinner, that should fix this mess" she's probably a long way from coming to grips with her alcoholism and need to get sober.

It's ironic that the person who's almost 30 & still binge drinking for fun has the balls to call anyone a 'loser'. Hope he dumped her, preferably at a landfill.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

FMguru posted:

Per OP, he was trying to break into the film industry. Which is tough to get steady work in (especially in the COVID/post-COVID environment) and got disrupted badly last year with multiple overlapping strikes. After a long bout of no work he realized it wasn't probably ever going to happen, so he put his dreams on the shelf and went and got a job at the post office.

GF badgered him to get a job, and then when he gets a job (with an OK salary and good benefits) she pointedly shits all over him because it isn't a "real" job.

:owned:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

MagusofStars posted:

:same:

The only times I’ve been in a conversation where one of the guys started to make jokes like this, nobody else joined in and everybody was like awkwardly “um is everything okay there buddy? need to talk about something?”

The real fun is talking about how we are laid low by our childrens' demands, especially when they were babies/toddlers. The phrase should be "hell hath no fury like a toddler who got handed an opened pack of string cheese when he wanted to open it himself"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
10 days ago I (28 M) confessed to my wife (28 F) of 3 years that I slept with someone else a couple of months ago. 3 days ago I was served with divorce papers

quote:

I confessed because of the guilt I felt. I honestly regret it more than anything I have ever done in my life. I had already signed up for counseling before I (28 M) told my wife (28 F) because I wanted to figure out my feelings. My regret isn't just because I was found out. I confessed, my wife did not know. It was the stupidest thing I have ever done. My wife left in tears after I told her. I can't believe how much I hurt her. She was happy in our marriage and I ruined it. Her feelings were deep and I hurt her.

3 days ago I was served with divorce papers. My wife wants a divorce. After 3 years of marriage and 6 years together. I didn't think she would want to get divorce. I didn't expect forgiveness and for things to go back to how they were. It is not a pattern for me. I knew we would have to work on it and my wife would probably have to go to counseling on her own and for us as a couple. I know I hurt her and she didn't expect my confession. But I honestly didn't expect to get the divorce papers. I have not seen or talked to her since she left. The note with the papers said for me to talk to her lawyer and not her. She has blocked my number and my email. Now I can't believe she wants a divorce and I don't know what to do next or how to deal with this. I have no idea what to do.

tl;dr: 10 days ago I confessed to my wife of 3 years that I had cheated one time a couple of months ago. My wife left in tears. 3 days ago I was served with divorce papers and my wife won't even talk to me now. I know I messed up. I regret it and I was the one who confessed to her when she had no idea. I didn't think she would file for divorce and I don't know what to do now.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cythereal posted:

10 days ago I (28 M) confessed to my wife (28 F) of 3 years that I slept with someone else a couple of months ago. 3 days ago I was served with divorce papers

:qq:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cythereal posted:

The Spirit of Pete is strong in this woman, good for her.

Always fun to see a story where someone bets that their partner will be upset, but not so upset that they'll get dumped/divorced/fired, and then loses that bet.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

gently caress around and find out (via her lawyer)

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, that's how that can play out

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

there's always the French foreign legion

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

There is a certain type of guy that will complain about "the ol' ball and chain" but if you're a decent person and surround yourself with decent people you don't run into them.

I have frustrations with my partner for sure, but I'd never talk poo poo about her to other people.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I get the sense that his main regret is telling her, rather than having the affair.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Plucky Brit posted:

I get the sense that his main regret is telling her, rather than having the affair.

Oh definitely, he was expecting good boy points for doing the "noble" thing and confessing.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

kdrudy posted:

Oh definitely, he was expecting good boy points for doing the "noble" thing and confessing.

" I knew we would have to work on it ", Wife "Whaddya mean "We"?

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

kdrudy posted:

“Yes I cheated, but you got upset about it and left so we both have flaws to work on” sounded so good in his head.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

FMguru posted:

The Spirit of Pete is strong in this woman, good for her.

Oh yeah, no notes.

codswallop posted:

Something short and sweet from advice columnist Pamela Stephenson Connolly in The Guardian

My wife refuses to end her affair because she enjoys the sex too much. What should I do?

And the answer back:

Alas, they're too much of a coward to open a comments section.

This dude, on the other hand is the anti-Pete. A writhing mass on the floor, unable to stand up due to complete lack of vertebrae.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

kdrudy posted:

Yea, I went looking because I was all ready to poo poo over a dude trying to be a pro streamer for 10 years and getting like half a dozen viewers the whole time but that wasn't he case. She just sucks.

Isn’t trying for a career in film basically the previous generation’s version of trying to be a pro streamer? A tiny number of people who make it big, a small minority that earn a livable wage, and mostly people who give up, live on outside money, or wise up and realize it’s better as a hobby.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PancakeTransmission posted:

But yeah I only eat two meals a day, haven't felt hungry before lunch time in years. Not sure why OP thinks they may be in the wrong,
Because their mom is more or less 50% of the reason they have OCD.

pentyne posted:

Does she think any sort of manual labor or traditional blue collar work isn't 'real jobs'?

FMguru posted:

vvvv She wants a boyfriend who has a cool/interesting/glamorous/lucrative job that she can brag to her friends about, and is embarrassed that all she can say is "He goes into a warehouse and sorts mail into bins for nine hours, and then he goes back the next day to do it again. Good benefits, though."
I think you're overthinking it: she's a mean drunk who has a habit of saying cruel things when someone calls her out on her bad behavior. Boyfriend is hopefully thinking it over and realizing that she's always going to call him a loser when he calls her out.

Edit: To be fair, he has a long way to go before he digs his way out of the hole.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 12, 2024

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cythereal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_dRw62qVLs&t=96s

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Isn’t trying for a career in film basically the previous generation’s version of trying to be a pro streamer? A tiny number of people who make it big, a small minority that earn a livable wage, and mostly people who give up, live on outside money, or wise up and realize it’s better as a hobby.

That depends.

'I want to be an actor!' - Yes. Absolutely.

'I am trained in [something backstage] - special effects, CGI, film editing, sound work, etc., and I want a career doing it' - Not necessarily, but there are a limited number of positions and often you have to know a guy (and have a portfolio/successful projects) to get hired in the first place, so getting in is hard.

I bet if it was something as unrealistic as 'become an actor' she would have said that and not 'a career in film', to make herself look more reasonable.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost
He burned through all his savings and a credit line, borrowed $5k from OP because insurance wouldn’t cover damages from a car accident he got into and they had to put out an additional $800for a junk car because their work schedules didn’t work for using a single car and only just got his post office job in December.

She’s definitely the rear end in a top hat who needs to stop drinking but I get why she might be a little stressed .

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DreamingofRoses posted:

He burned through all his savings and a credit line, borrowed $5k from OP because insurance wouldn’t cover damages from a car accident he got into and they had to put out an additional $800for a junk car because their work schedules didn’t work for using a single car and only just got his post office job in December.

She’s definitely the rear end in a top hat who needs to stop drinking but I get why she might be a little stressed .

People who have a history of getting drunk and then screaming abuse at their loved ones can eat a big heaping bowl of poo poo I do not care what excuses they have.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cythereal posted:

At some point somebody should have explained to this idiot that confessing to cheating places the decision on whether to continue with the relationship entirely in the hands of the person cheated on. They may or may not take the cheating partner's wants into account but you don't get to force anything at that point.

Cheating is lovely, coming clean is better morally than not, but expecting to dictate terms (or really any reaction other than "I accept the consequences of my stupid terrible hurtful decisions") is hosed up on a whole new level.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost

pentyne posted:

People who have a history of getting drunk and then screaming abuse at their loved ones can eat a big heaping bowl of poo poo I do not care what excuses they have.

I don’t know if you meant it this way but I feel like this a post trying to yell at me for making excuses for her being heinous to him when she was drunk which I was absolutely not doing and I don’t appreciate it. I was mostly responding to FMGuru’s and kdrudy’s posts.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 12, 2024

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Still catching up but lol at the hellhound staring you down with fire in its eyes as you attempt to concentrate and stay hard.

Meanwhile the dogs thinking "go ahead... make a sudden move. I'll turn you into confetti"

O

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Plucky Brit posted:

player played himself

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Still catching up but lol at the hellhound staring you down with fire in its eyes as you attempt to concentrate and stay hard.

Meanwhile the dogs thinking "go ahead... make a sudden move. I'll turn you into confetti"

O

I'm not sure what this is responding to and I worry it's in the wrong thread. Hopefully not the Helluva Boss one.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

MagusofStars posted:

:same:

The only times I’ve been in a conversation where one of the guys started to make jokes like this, nobody else joined in and everybody was like awkwardly “um is everything okay there buddy? need to talk about something?”

My girls are finally old enough to start getting invited to parties and fuuuuuccck I've just started avoiding other dads since I've apparently got a face that says come over and start complaining about your wife/kids to me.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Nap Ghost
Teenagers.txt

My (46F) daughter (13F) doesn’t want to do our weekly family tradition anymore. What should I do?

quote:

All names have been changed. My (46F) husband (49M) and I have 3 kids. Kendra (16F), Adam (15M), and Valerie (13F). For years, we have had a little weekly tradition for Sunday dinner. The kids and I spend the late afternoon cooking together. My husband often has to work on Sundays and this tradition started as a way to entertain the kids and help them burn off some energy. Back then, I would have them "help" by doing things like washing veggies, making a table centerpiece, setting the table, loading the dishwasher, etc. Over the years, it has grown into something of a touchstone event for our family, with their abilities and skills expanding. They take turns each week deciding what they want to cook. Sometimes they pick complicated dishes, other times they pick something simple. They research the recipes, figure out what ingredients we need vs. what we have, and choose sides to accompany the main dish. I go to the store and pick up the ingredients, and the four of us cook a delicious meal and clean up the kitchen together.

I love this tradition for so many reasons. It's an opportunity for my kids to learn valuable household skills like cooking and "clean-as-you-go." It also helps them feel a sense of accomplishment when they cook something complicated and it comes out well. Conversely, it also teaches them that it's OK when they make a mistake or they don't achieve what they set out to do. They learn teamwork and project management, having to work together and delegate tasks. It's a chance for them to bond with each other. They also get to discover different types of cuisines they love to cook and eat, which is so cool to watch as a parent. Kendra found out she loves to cook Italian food and experimenting with the instant pot. Adam discovered he likes to cook Asian foods, and he has a talent for rolling sushi. Valerie likes to try trendy TikTok recipes and she's found an interest in nutrition.

Most of all, I love that this opportunity gives me time to learn about my kids. It's hard to explain, but while they're all chopping vegetables or mixing sauces, it's like they forget I'm in the room washing dishes. They start talking about stuff in their personal lives that stereotypically teens never discuss with a parent present. I get to hear about who likes whom at school, the latest Gen Z trends, and the drama of the week. I found out Kendra applied for a summer job at a big makeup retailer, Adam and his friends are trying to start a hockey team at school, and Valerie has aspirations to be a personal trainer one day. These are mild examples to protect the innocent, but I get some serious mom intel from Sunday dinner.

This week, it was Valerie's turn to pick what we cook. I asked her yesterday if she had her grocery list ready for when I ran errands so I could pick up any ingredients we didn't already have. After hesitating, she told me she already made plans to go to a friend's house Sunday evening. I said no problem, I'd pick something to cook with the other 2 and we would catch her the following week. She hesitated again and said, actually, she was wondering if we could stop cooking Sunday dinner together at all. I was floored, as she never expressed a dislike for it before. I asked her why, was everything OK, was it something I or her siblings did, etc. She said "no, it's just kind of lame. My friends' parents don't make them cook." You could have tipped me over with a feather. I never felt I "made" my children cook. It was always a fun thing to do together, and there have been plenty of times where one of them would bow out a day for one reason or another. My feelings were hurt, but I did my best to not show that. I told her she can go to her friend's house on Sunday, and if she needed a break from the Sunday dinners for a while, I understand.

I said "maybe we can find something else to do together, just you and me." She danced around the statement and basically gave a response that boiled down to a very non-committal maybe. I know she is entering the teen phase, but my heart is broken. These dinners mean so much to me, and I like to think they mean a lot to my kids, as well.

So Reddit, I am here to ask: what do you think I should do? I don't want to force my daughter to participate in an activity with us if she'll just resent it. Should I try finding a new weekly tradition? I don't want to take away the Sunday dinner thing if the other 2 genuinely enjoy it, it would seem like I'm favoring the youngest. But I want quality time with all 3 of my kids. What route would you take?

EDIT: Wow, I didn't think I'd get as much feedback as I did on this post! I am new to Reddit and not sure of all the etiquette, but someone told me it is usually expected you respond to comments. I'll respond to as many of you all as I can, but in the meantime, I have some additional details to add from comments repeating the same questions:

1)Up until now, all 3 of my kids had expressed enjoyment with doing Sunday dinner. When my 2 oldest were 12/13, I had prepared myself for them to start to pull away from it. To my shock and happiness, that didn't happen with them. I had expected it less with Valerie because she always seemed to enjoy it even more than they did. She'd spend the most time looking up recipes and she was always the one who wanted to take risks and try new things with each dish. I think a lot of my "heartbreak" came from the fact that it was out of left field.

2)Maybe I didn't explain it well above, but I don't want anyone here to think all 3 of my kids are forced to do this every single Sunday. I get life happens and teenagers will have their own stuff. There have been plenty of times they skipped due to homework obligations, going out with friends, or just not feeling up to it. We're usually short 1 of them at least once a month.

3) I appreciate everyone's concern about Valerie's sudden interest in fitness and nutrition. And I agree, it is something you MUST watch very carefully in adolescents, as I struggled with body image at that age myself. If it quells any concerns, this was not an overnight thing. She has a Life Skills class at school (we used to call it Home Economics but I think it goes by many names now). They just did a nutrition unit and she did a project on how all the vitamins/minerals/proteins etc. are processed in our bodies and the benefits. Also, her dad is way into weight lifting and training for a polar bear run. She's started hanging out with him in his "weight room" (the basement) and has learned about gladiator competitions, so she asked her dad if they could do one together some day. Her focus has always seemed to be more on strength and functional fitness, but you're all right that it's a slippery slope and I'll keep an eye on it.

TL;DR my 3 kids and I have a long-standing tradition of cooking Sunday dinner together. It's fun and I get to spend quality time with them. My youngest told me she doesn't want to do it anymore and she doesn't seem interested in trying any alternative activity as a family. How can I find a way to make sure we spend quality time together without making a moody teenager resent the activity?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

B-Rock452 posted:

My girls are finally old enough to start getting invited to parties and fuuuuuccck I've just started avoiding other dads since I've apparently got a face that says come over and start complaining about your wife/kids to me.

I can’t decide if that’s better or worse than all the other dads assuming that I’m conservative like them since I have a little drawl left and am originally from a southern state.

They get that the rednecks originally dynamited the capital class right?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Seems like super healthy teenager stuff and if she keeps doing it with the other kids I bet the 13 year old will gently gravitate back into it. There’s a chance the tradition loses steam because of it and peters out which sounds like it would be a super bummer for the Mom but the kids are teenagers and there’s nothing you can do about that :shrug:

Just keep making it fun and extending her the invite (key word invite) because forcing it will destroy it. It was bound to fade out into a sometimes thing anyway in a few years time when the kids are at school or out of the home or working full time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

kdrudy posted:

There is a certain type of guy that will complain about "the ol' ball and chain" but if you're a decent person and surround yourself with decent people you don't run into them.

Wow, reading that I just heard that phrase in my Uncle's voice. Though it was always clearly a joke with him; he and my Aunt adored each other and had a whole bunch of adventures (rally car racing, boat racing, running a business) that really required being aware of each others' strengths and relying on trust.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Did the parents get involved for christian reasons or for good reasons? That's the determining factor for me between YTA and ESH.

im going to go ahead and doubt their fundamentalist christians and just christian but if they were fundies they would be up her rear end to reconcile and probably couldnt admit they have a bad son. so my head canon is its good reasons

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There's an official red-letter Scriptural answer: you don't get to divorce except for adultery. So if the particular church applies this to both women and men, the wife is in the clear.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

snergle posted:

im going to go ahead and doubt their fundamentalist christians and just christian but if they were fundies they would be up her rear end to reconcile and probably couldnt admit they have a bad son. so my head canon is its good reasons
Some redditors speculated that OP made sure to claim his parents were FUNDAMENTALIST Christians as a ploy to get people to look on his story more sympathetically

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

FMguru posted:

Some redditors speculated that OP made sure to claim his parents were FUNDAMENTALIST Christians as a ploy to get people to look on his story more sympathetically
It's funny that it did the opposite to me because instead of making me go 'those weird Christians don't understand modern marriage' it made me go 'he's behaved so badly even people in a group that heavily pressures reconciliation and shames divorce think he's a lost cause, and these are the people that said they love him'.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

FMguru posted:

thats basically what i was doing oh god im a redditor.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Shot

AITAH for not defending our relationship more?

quote:

I (44f) live in a small town, population about 2000. I’ve been dating my boyfriend (52m) for 8 years.

We were at a holiday party in December with probably 200 guests. Someone asked when we were planning to get married. Bf said never. People continued to press the subject, so I said that neither of us wanted to get married currently but if it changed we’d be sure to let them know. So bf said, “If you ever change your mind about marriage don’t bother talking to me about it. Just move on and find a man who wants to marry you.”

Everyone was staring. I cried. We went home. He has brought it up a couple of times since then but it’s not really something I see a point in discussing. He’s made it clear from day one that he doesn’t want to get married. I don’t want to either. I wouldn’t have said what he did in public but it’s the truth. The way he said it embarrassed me and it hurt my feelings that he was so flippant about breaking up and going our separate ways after 8 years of being in love but again it’s nothing I didn’t know from private conversations.

Every Tuesday we have dinner with friends at this Mexican restaurant. So last night at dinner a guy that I know socially from living in the same small town walked up and said that he knew I was exclusively dating bf but he just wanted to say that I should call him if I ever decided that I wanted a “serious relationship”. Then he looked at bf and said, nothing personal man. I know we go way back (they are about the same age and hung out in high school and in their early twenties) but if she ever decides she wants more than casual dating, it would be over between you two anyway.

After we got home, bf was upset with me for not making it clear that we have more than a casual relationship. I told him that I wasn’t the one who made our relationship status unclear, and if he felt something was unclear or misunderstood he could have set things straight himself.
Chaser

quote:

After posting I did a lot of reflection on our relationship. One day I just packed what I had at his house and brought it all to my house while he was at work. When he came home, I told him that I had moved my things out and I wasn’t going to be around anymore. I gave him his house key.

Bf feels blindsided by my moving out. He doesn’t understand how we went from happy and peaceful to me moving out and living an hour+ away when essentially nothing changed. I still have feelings for him but it wasn’t nearly as painful as I expected it to be. I have to many hard feelings towards him for the way he treated me and my kids, especially in the beginning of our relationship to try to salvage anything between us. And I most definitely have too much resentment towards his youngest son (24 m) to ever consider working on things and trying to be anything that resembles a family with either of them. 8 years and I packed every thing I had there in 2 hours, like I was never there.

During the first couple of years I did tell him how he made me feel, but his answer was always this is the deal, take it or leave it. It took 8 years but I decided to leave it. I suppose at some point I emotionally checked out of the relationship and just sort of let things be. Many of the issues have just sorted themselves out with time but the underlying hurt is still raw.

My house really doesn’t feel like home to me anymore. I’ve been staying with my children (who are away from home attending college). I’ve completely moved out of my house and I officially put it on the market last Friday. For now I’ll just commute to work until I figure out what I want to do going forward.
BF: If you don't like it, leave!
OP: *leaves*
Ex-BF: [Shocked-Pikachu.png]

It's never too late - not even after eight years - to summon the Spirit Of Pete.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

yup, the rest of the story is massaged so carefully there's no way this isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FMguru posted:

Shot

AITAH for not defending our relationship more?

Chaser

BF: If you don't like it, leave!
OP: *leaves*
Ex-BF: [Shocked-Pikachu.png]

It's never too late - not even after eight years - to summon the Spirit Of Pete.

why the gently caress is she moving out of her own house and selling it!?!