Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Volmarias posted:

You can choose to load non flak rounds if there is no air threat, or have a smaller loadout of both flak and standard rounds?

I assume the dedicated AA vehicle will be cheaper, but won't be as useful for assaults.

Also, the whole concept of using Mechs comes apart if you stare too long at it, just accept that you're getting everything in the Stompiest fashion possible and enjoy your 10m death machines

You have to make the decision beforehand and have to slot ammo in full-ton amounts, so yeah, you can load a bunch of tons of ammo, but then you have to carry a bunch of ammo magazines for an AC/2.

Mechs are good at taking hits and traversing wildly varying terrain, but restricting terrain also often protects you from air strikes and you typically want to shoot down fighters without getting shot back, so you aren't really playing to their strengths on the map. In the original feudal metaphor, vehicles were the yeomanry to the battlemech's knight, doing jobs that mechs are "too important" for, like AA fire or being an artillery platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

On the subject of autocannons, why aren't ultras allowed to use special ammo types?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Volmarias posted:

I assume the dedicated AA vehicle will be cheaper, but won't be as useful for assaults.

You can buy two Partisan anti-aircraft vehicles for the price of one Rifleman, and nearly three for the price of a JagerMech. Weirdly though, despite ostensibly being a dedicated anti-air platform, the Partisan does not actually have the Anti-Aircraft Targeting design quirk, so a single Rifleman / JagerMech might actually be a better investment.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
According to TRO 3026 (revised) the partisan has magic bullets that are flak when aiming at air targets and normal when fired at ground targets

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Scintilla posted:

You can buy two Partisan anti-aircraft vehicles for the price of one Rifleman, and nearly three for the price of a JagerMech. Weirdly though, despite ostensibly being a dedicated anti-air platform, the Partisan does not actually have the Anti-Aircraft Targeting design quirk, so a single Rifleman / JagerMech might actually be a better investment.

Ok I guess I must submit an errata request on the BT forums for the Partisan because why would it not have that trait :psyduck:

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Holybat posted:

Ok I guess I must submit an errata request on the BT forums for the Partisan because why would it not have that trait :psyduck:

It's an even bigger :psyduck: than you might think since the description goes on about how it can track 200 aircraft at once and its guns are sensitive enough to potentially shoot down missiles. But the real kicker is the fact that the Partisan's stripped-down successor, the Partisan AA Vehicle, does have the quirk.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheParadigm posted:

On the subject of autocannons, why aren't ultras allowed to use special ammo types?

From a design standpoint, they were added in FM:FS specifically as a buff to standard autocannons. Since the IS already had the fully array of special ACs and got the RAC in the same book, it's clearly an intentional choice.

From a story standpoint, the FS has a boner for standard autocannons and got sad they weren't good, so they spent a bunch of time and money designing special ammo specifically for standard ACs.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Volmarias posted:

Also, the whole concept of using Mechs comes apart if you stare too long at it, just accept that you're getting everything in the Stompiest fashion possible and enjoy your 10m death machines

"It's just a show, I should try to relax."

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

From a design standpoint, they were added in FM:FS specifically as a buff to standard autocannons. Since the IS already had the fully array of special ACs and got the RAC in the same book, it's clearly an intentional choice.

From a story standpoint, the FS has a boner for standard autocannons and got sad they weren't good, so they spent a bunch of time and money designing special ammo specifically for standard ACs.

A more fun explanation would be that the Fedsuns had a lot of military contractors that just didn't want to ever make the Ultracannon switch because that would be expensive so they lobbied for making specialized rounds for their existing stock, kinda like the Excalibur round we have today.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

Scintilla posted:

It's an even bigger :psyduck: than you might think since the description goes on about how it can track 200 aircraft at once and its guns are sensitive enough to potentially shoot down missiles. But the real kicker is the fact that the Partisan's stripped-down successor, the Partisan AA Vehicle, does have the quirk.

Lol that rules

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Scintilla posted:

Sounds like they were working on it and nailed it with the next version

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

painedforever posted:

"It's just a show, I should try to relax."

In that spirit we should trade the black knight for an urbanlord

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheParadigm posted:

UACs don't fire standard shells. They've got weird revolver speedloader shells firing "caseless" rounds.

IIRC an autocannon modified to fire caseless ammo can't use variant ammo types either.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

from what ER 2750 says it development of Ultra AC/5s had a two part system. The rounds themselves were lighter due to SL materials engineering that originated with mega-engineering projects and space based stuff. This lighter weight let the shell have a higher muzzle velocity, increasing range. The case for the rounds were then made of a new iron-based alloy that allowed the system to feed and extract being all magnetic, allowing for a higher rate of fire.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Holybat posted:

from what ER 2750 says it development of Ultra AC/5s had a two part system. The rounds themselves were lighter due to SL materials engineering that originated with mega-engineering projects and space based stuff. This lighter weight let the shell have a higher muzzle velocity, increasing range. The case for the rounds were then made of a new iron-based alloy that allowed the system to feed and extract being all magnetic, allowing for a higher rate of fire.

Uh

That's Steel

Iron alloys are Steel

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe

wiegieman posted:

Uh

That's Steel

Iron alloys are Steel

Nah, there's lots of different iron alloys. Invar isn't a steel but it's an iron alloy. Same with ferroalloys. Though steel's a broad category.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

IIRC an autocannon modified to fire caseless ammo can't use variant ammo types either.

Caseless Ammo is one of those weird ammo types whose trade-offs put them right on the borderline of usefulness. It lets you take twice the ammount of ammo per ton, which sounds great, but you can't use any other ammo type, and if you roll snake eyes the gun jams and takes an automatic crit.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

also make sure to get case for your caseless ammo, just in case

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Alright, Option D has a pretty unassailable lead and the voting seems to have died down, so I'm going to call the vote now. I'll reveal the traded mech at the beginning of the next intermission, but it won't be available until the start of the next contract (the NAIS need time to verify that the salvage is legit after all). In the meantime I'll let you guys decide who is going to pilot the Ostroc. Here's our current roster:

Sable Lance (centre) will be deploying for the next mission, so choose one of them if you want to put it into action right away.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

At a glance, it's got the same weapons as the BJ-1DB but adding on an SRM-4. It's faster, but doesn't jump. Not sure where it should go, but if it's got more armor and a better heat capacity (the Sarna page doesn't specify HS) it might be suitable to replace the BJ-1DB.

It could also replace either the SHD or GLD in Sable Lance as both of them are similar.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'd personally swap it for the SRM Trebuchet in Sable Lance. Neither jump, but the Ostroc is hardier and less dependent on getting in close.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I'd say drop the Blackjack for the Ostroc. It's a straight upgrade in pretty much every way. Same weapons plus an SRM4, more armor, faster speed, plus it has Narrow Profile which we have seen is an absolute god-tier Quirk. The only bad part is the ammo in the CT, but that is hardly a problem that is localized to the Ostroc. The only real advantage the BJ has is Jumpjets, and even then, 4 jump range doesn't really compare to a 5/8.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Replacing the BJ seems logical to me

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
A quick mini-update while I write the next intermission.

As we enter December of 3016 Wolf's Dragoons notch up another series of victories.

Repair work on the Ostroc progresses. Being out in the Periphery made finding a spare 60-ton Gyro and a pair of arms pretty difficult, but Johann was eventually able to source them from a supplier in the Capellan Confederation. The arms in particular take nearly two months to arrive, slowing repairs down significantly.

It's not all bad news, though, since, one of our Green Techs finally gains enough XP to level up and become a Regular Tech! :toot: Well done Vasil Gralho. I may have to assign you a portrait and a proper character bio at some point. Stepan Mrazec, one of our other Green Techs, is also just 1 XP away from becoming a Regular. I can almost taste the unbroken components.

In what is very nearly a Christmas miracle, the Ostroc is fully repaired on December 23rd. The work was pricey, and the company's coffers are now down to 1,536,778 C-Bills.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Scintilla posted:

In what is very nearly a Christmas miracle, the Ostroc is fully repaired on December 23rd. The work was pricey, and the company's coffers are now down to 1,536,778 C-Bills.

Every time I'm reminded of our C-Bills I feel a little bad. Like, our finances are fine because we're not in the red. We're still making money. But we don't have much capacity to replace expensive components or buy new mechs. Granted most of our new mechs will come from salvage and stuff. It's probably fine, but we're still one bad mission away from being semi crippled.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

glwgameplayer posted:

Every time I'm reminded of our C-Bills I feel a little bad. Like, our finances are fine because we're not in the red. We're still making money. But we don't have much capacity to replace expensive components or buy new mechs. Granted most of our new mechs will come from salvage and stuff. It's probably fine, but we're still one bad mission away from being semi crippled.

That's pretty much the default state of most merc companies, as I understand it.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

glwgameplayer posted:

How many Mechs do we have in storage?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That's pretty much the default state of most merc companies, as I understand it.

Indeed. 40% of units don't last six months. Within a year 60% of units are defunct. 83% of mercenaries are killed in action within a ten-year career. There's not a lot of roads to being a successful mercenary unit.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Otter Madness posted:

How many Mechs do we have in storage?

That is fair. We have a pretty decent stock of replacement mechs. But still.

Otter Madness
Jan 4, 2014

glwgameplayer posted:

That is fair. We have a pretty decent stock of replacement mechs. But still.

We are coming close to a full lance right? Maybe time to sell one or two. I can't imagine a situation where replacing 4 damaged or destroyed mechs with reserves is going to happen, or at least if it happens that we still have the rep to get decent contracts.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Indeed. 40% of units don't last six months. Within a year 60% of units are defunct. 83% of mercenaries are killed in action within a ten-year career. There's not a lot of roads to being a successful mercenary unit.

Sounds like most businesses. The first year is always the hardest.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

glwgameplayer posted:

If we could only have found a way to get a few million recently

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I think we'll be ok. The 3-4 units we have as spare is our real rainy day fund. If we lose a few units from each Lance on a botched mission, we can still keep rolling into combat to make up that loss. Having a deep bench in fully operational 'Mechs, pilots and parts is worth more than cash on hand as long as you're not already in debt. Being able to deploy right after a bad drop is what keeps the income incoming. I would like to build up some more spares of the common stuff we need though. Could use a couple PPCs/MLAS and other parts a lot of our units share.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Clients are supposed to cover most of your losses via battle loss compensation, but that assumes your employer agreed to it in the contract, hasn't decided to let you die to avoid paying, and is still around to pay after a rough fight.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Clients are supposed to cover most of your losses via battle loss compensation, but that assumes your employer agreed to it in the contract, hasn't decided to let you die to avoid paying, and is still around to pay after a rough fight.

Yes, but they give you C-Bills as compensation, unless I'm misunderstanding how that works. We can be rich in cash, but if we can't take to the field after a beating, we're useless to our employer. That's why having a deep bench is important. Being able to let the A-team units repair while we send the spares out to play is how we maximize our income.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Amechwarrior posted:

Yes, but they give you C-Bills as compensation, unless I'm misunderstanding how that works. We can be rich in cash, but if we can't take to the field after a beating, we're useless to our employer. That's why having a deep bench is important. Being able to let the A-team units repair while we send the spares out to play is how we maximize our income.

Yup. The worst place a company wants to be is in not earning money, in debt, and having payday hit when people are in the hospital and parts are delayed in shipping, with no hot spares.

We're none of those things!

I'd also like to point out that ostroc2c is worth about 5 mil retail according to sarna, so we actually gained value - its just held up in equity.

Sure, we could have doubled our money, but this is a net gain too!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Azhais posted:

If we could only have found a way to get a few million recently

:emptyquote:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

painedforever posted:

Sounds like most businesses. The first year is always the hardest.

There's a reason that, other than the GDL, large and successful units only have one of two origin stories: army unit gone rogue (ELH, Hansen's, 21st Centauri) or beneficiary of a powerful noble or corporation (Kell Hounds, MAC, Storm's Metal Thunder, Romanov's Crusaders). Or you can be the Dragoons and be both at once. If you don't want to be one of those two things, you can hope to be the next GDL and effectively win the lottery.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

There's a reason that, other than the GDL, large and successful units only have one of two origin stories: army unit gone rogue (ELH, Hansen's, 21st Centauri) or beneficiary of a powerful noble or corporation (Kell Hounds, MAC, Storm's Metal Thunder, Romanov's Crusaders). Or you can be the Dragoons and be both at once. If you don't want to be one of those two things, you can hope to be the next GDL and effectively win the lottery.

Or there's, like, Specter, but he's dubiously canon, is sort of running a franchise of a bigger unit anyway, and is possibly some kind of WoB sleeper agent.

So yeah, you just have to be an unbeatable 0/0 main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wiegieman posted:

Or there's, like, Specter, but he's dubiously canon, is sort of running a franchise of a bigger unit anyway, and is possibly some kind of WoB sleeper agent.

So yeah, you just have to be an unbeatable 0/0 main character.

also be able to respawn and reset missions infinitely lol