Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Get it now, Vanillaware ran out of money making this and their executive put his own personal funds in it to keep it afloat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Centzon Totochtin posted:

The real question is do I get the stupid monarch collector's edition of Unicorn Overlord now, or hope it stays in stock and drops in price

Get it now

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

OK but now I need to decide between switch and PS5

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Switch always

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Switch version runs flawlessly, do it

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
For Switch. You can hook it up to a TV AND take it wherever with you. I am on the fence about Unicorn Overlord. I hate timed stuff, but it is kinda fun otherwise.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
anyone get a chance to see if contra's performance is better than the demo?

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Wintendo at it again.

https://youtu.be/rfJf13A4Uak

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Get it now, Vanillaware ran out of money making this and their executive put his own personal funds in it to keep it afloat

No kidding? That's pretty bold of him/them. I was also hoping to play wait-and-see with the price of that one since I wanted to get it digitally.

E: Was $129 last night but cheapest is $200 today, nevermind

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 13, 2024

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

How does horse use phone?!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
More like my little phony.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

whaley posted:

anyone get a chance to see if contra's performance is better than the demo?

looks like it still sucks!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I have ever been more excited for a demo then let down so hard as UNICORN OVERLORD.

There's just so much paperwork going on. Individual units, characters inside units, gear on characters, gambits on characters. Towns and forts where every town and fort has a different shop selection and requiring a different set of upgrade materials. A combat system that both encourages battle skipping (because you have seen this before and can't control it anyway) and also punishes battle skipping (unless you want your wins and losses to feel like coin flips, you need to actually sit through stuff at least sometimes to get a handle on what your guys do).

It sells itself as a medieval RPG about a deposed prince, but it's actually a game about watchmaking. It's the kind of game I would have put 200 hours into learning at 20 years old, but at 40 leaves me overwhelmed and exhausted. If you designed a game around micromanaging military supply chains across Europe during the 30 Years' War, it would functionally scratch the same itch.

I can see why so many people consider it a masterpiece, because for a certain type of person it's just everything they could ever want in a game like this. Maybe I just got old.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Huxley posted:

I don't think I have ever been more excited for a demo then let down so hard as UNICORN OVERLORD.

There's just so much paperwork going on. Individual units, characters inside units, gear on characters, gambits on characters. Towns and forts where every town and fort has a different shop selection and requiring a different set of upgrade materials. A combat system that both encourages battle skipping (because you have seen this before and can't control it anyway) and also punishes battle skipping (unless you want your wins and losses to feel like coin flips, you need to actually sit through stuff at least sometimes to get a handle on what your guys do).

It sells itself as a medieval RPG about a deposed prince, but it's actually a game about watchmaking. It's the kind of game I would have put 200 hours into learning at 20 years old, but at 40 leaves me overwhelmed and exhausted. If you designed a game around micromanaging military supply chains across Europe during the 30 Years' War, it would functionally scratch the same itch.

I can see why so many people consider it a masterpiece, because for a certain type of person it's just everything they could ever want in a game like this. Maybe I just got old.

That's nice dear. Thanks

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Huxley posted:

A combat system that both encourages battle skipping (because you have seen this before and can't control it anyway) and also punishes battle skipping (unless you want your wins and losses to feel like coin flips, you need to actually sit through stuff at least sometimes to get a handle on what your guys do).

Isn’t that the same as skipping battle animations in Fire Emblem or something? don’t see the issue

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Augus posted:

Isn’t that the same as skipping battle animations in Fire Emblem or something? don’t see the issue

Unicorn Overlord battles can be a little bit more complicated, because characters all have their own FF12 style gambits that play out, so watching fights can let you notice "Oh, my healer is spending all her PP patching up 1 damage scratches, I should add a condition so she only heals once someone's HP is below 75%" or "Oh, the enemy has a guy who blocks ranged attacks, that's why my squad is doing less damage than I expected"

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
If anything the battle system activates the same neurons as trying to manage an army in Dominions, you just have a few perfectly obedient dogs to teach tricks to instead of several buckets of lemmings.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I cant wait to play Unicorn Overlord but I'm also the kind of person that likes Front Mission where setting up your squad is 50% of your playtime and the other half is doing 30 min long missions with way too many units

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This is a bizarre question but...

Are there any decent third party JoyCons that have wireless capability, connect to a PC like a BT device would (They all should, surely, unless some third party ones do weird things?) and maybe are decent for holding one in each hand. I don't care about dpad quality at all. As inexpensive as possible would be a plus. Located in EU.

This all because I've been planning to do a gimmick playthrough the Final Fantasy XIV MMO with Wii Balance Board + JoyCons for like year+ now. (Nah I don't stream or anything). The game has great controller support so it's not an issue, and I know how to connect the Balance Board to the PC and also how to combine several devices into a single virtual joystick if I need it. But I'd rather not spend stupid amount of money on JoyCons. I will probably just test the wiimote + nunchuk at some point but that's quite limiting for inputs at least deeper into the leveling experience.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

You might like Nyxi? I'm not 100% about PC connectivity though

Anyway they should be on Amazon or you can order directly: https://nyxigame.com/pages/wireless-nintendo-switch-controller-nyxi-hyperion-series

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Huxley posted:

There's just so much paperwork going on. Individual units, characters inside units, gear on characters, gambits on characters. Towns and forts where every town and fort has a different shop selection and requiring a different set of upgrade materials.

This part here made me think of playing FF6 for the first time and doing things like running defense at Narshe etc.

It sucks that it didn't click with you, there's really a lot of meat on that bone and it certainly is less fiddly than it appears at first glance. I wasn't sure at first but by the time I finished picking up the archer, Rolff, you'd have an idea about whether or not you'll like what's going on mechanically.

At this point I'm eager to unlock adding a 4th guy to a detachment because the potential looks really great.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
People say "it's like Ogre Battle" and my eyebrows raise a bit in interest and then they say "with FF12-" and I turn around and walk out of the room and the building and into the woods

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bleck posted:

People say "it's like Ogre Battle" and my eyebrows raise a bit in interest and then they say "with FF12-" and I turn around and walk out of the room and the building and into the woods

ok

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish
Even as a OB/TO die hard (I still have my sense cart of OB), I think it's not reasonable to expect something that's a direct successor without them trying new mechanics to modernize and speed up a pretty old and crufty set of mechanics. I think anything that makes it not a tedious non-interactive point and click adventure is a huge improvement.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bleck posted:

You'd prefer...less control over your units?

Because every single game with AI controlled units, imo, should include a gambit-style system. Every single one.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Listen I'm gonna try the UO demo and maybe it'll be good and if I like it that's great. I just think FF12 sucks rear end

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Bleck posted:

Punk, with the way you're talking.. here, in the Nintendo Switch thread..... well, let's just say that you're real reallll lucky this isn't a Nintendo Switch Exclusive.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You don't even need to touch the AI stuff the characters will just default to the basic behavior (like "heal if someone gets injured") if you specify nothing since you can't directly control them anyway, it's like a battle in Civ or Fire Emblem. Weird take.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Hell I think that applies even to the original Ogre Battle.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, OB had units have one action that they would take in combat depending upon whether they were in the front row or the back row (this action could be "Do nothing" if they were e.g. a warrior with a sword in the back row). Like, a dragon in the front row would claw people up, whereas a dragon in the back row would breathe fire.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Huxley posted:

Maybe I just got old.

Sorry for your loss

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Morpheus posted:

You'd prefer...less control over your units?

Dwarf Fortress Tactics :getin:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

you have almost no control over your units in Ogre Battle 64 besides "attack weakest, attack strongest, do whatever" commands and it's still one of the best fuckin strategy rpgs ever made. if you don't have confidence in your army being able to whip rear end on their own then git gud and train them more.

I do understand not liking the tinkering of some of these games but for many people, myself included, it's like catnip.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a bunch of quasi-solo travel coming up

I already own Balarto on Steam but don't have a steam deck yet. So buying that

Also want to buy a first party game of some sort, for when I go cross-eyed playing Balartro; leaning towards Mario stuff

Thinking about

Super Mario Bros Wonder
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
Luigi's Mansion 3 ($20 off, $39.99)
Mario + Rabbids (any, all on sale?)
New Super Mario Bros U deluxe
Mario Tennis/Golf

Already have

Super Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart
Mario Party
Mario Maker 2

Not looking for

Zelda titles

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 14, 2024

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cannot recommend Mario Wonder enough, it’s the best 2d Mario since Mario World and easily worthy of being called its successor

Also Luigi’s Mansion 3 rules

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if you've never played 3 World before absolutely get that

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I have a bunch of quasi-solo travel coming up

I already own Balarto on Steam but don't have a steam deck yet. So buying that

Also want to buy a first party game of some sort, for when I go cross-eyed playing Balartro; leaning towards Mario stuff

Thinking about

Super Mario Bros Wonder
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
Luigi's Mansion 3 ($20 off, $39.99)
Mario + Rabbids (any, all on sale?)
New Super Mario Bros U deluxe
Mario Tennis/Golf

Already have

Super Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart
Mario Party
Mario Maker 2

Not looking for

Zelda titles

wonder and 3d world are both great. you can't go wrong

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

also get kirby and the forgotten land

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
can confirm Luigi's Mansion 3, 3D World, and Mario Rabbids are all fun. of the three i'd recommend 3D World most. drat polished and a lot of charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Balatro's fine on Switch right? Was tempted to get it but at the same time it may eat up the remainder of my life knowing how I get with roguelites and arcady-style games.