Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Putting the Bing in Boeing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ive been out of the pilot scene since college, but this interesting video popped up about a guy who bought an extremely cheap homebuilt whose propeller fell off. Good perspective on risk from someone who had an "oh poo poo, that could have been much worse" moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5y7ZeIcSo8

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 12, 2024

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

Control Volume posted:

Ive been out of the pilot scene since college, but this interesting video popped up about a guy who bought an extremely cheap homebuilt whose propeller fell off. Good perspective on risk from someone who had an "oh poo poo, that could have been much worse" moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5y7ZeIcSo8

This is yet another example of why I'll never trust helicopters

If the propeller falls off your home built airplane, it merely becomes a glider. With average luck and average skills, you have a decent chance of walking away.

If the blades fall off your helicopter, it becomes a rock and you need a miracle to walk away

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
in terms of critical parts that could fall off a small airplane, the prop is probably the best case

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Boat Stuck posted:

This is yet another example of why I'll never trust helicopters

If the propeller falls off your home built airplane, it merely becomes a glider. With average luck and average skills, you have a decent chance of walking away.

If the blades fall off your helicopter, it becomes a rock and you need a miracle to walk away

And what if the wing falls off your airplane?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

If it's a biplane, you've got a spare.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Do not fly the Christmas Bullet.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
"What sort of standards are these aircraft built to?

"Oh, very rigorous ... aeronautical engineering standards."

"What sort of things?"

"Well the front’s not supposed to fall off, for a start."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Non resin impregnated fiber, that's right out.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Does dope count?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Safety Dance posted:

If it's a biplane, you've got a spare.

There was at least one piece of aeronautical lunacy that would do exactly that, by design: it was a biplane on takeoff, then once at altitude it would jettison the top wing, to reduce drag. (Apparently they tested it and it actually kind of worked, or at least it didn't kill them.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillson_Bi-mono

Wikipedia posted:

Test flights were made both as a monoplane and as a biplane, with the shorter upper wing being chosen.[4] In order to avoid the potential hazards to people on the ground of dropping the wing, wing jettisoning tests were carried out from Squires Gate Airport, Blackpool, with the upper wing being successfully dropped over the Irish Sea on 16 July 1941.[5] The test proved successful, with no great change in trim and a few hundred feet in altitude being lost when the upper wing was jettisoned.[9]

The Bi-mono was subject to further testing by the Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment at Boscombe Down from October 1941. The A&AEE found that the maximum speed of the biplane configuration was slower than the stalling speed of the monoplane configuration. Its landing characteristics were likened to a kangaroo.[10]

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Powered Descent posted:

There was at least one piece of aeronautical lunacy that would do exactly that, by design: it was a biplane on takeoff, then once at altitude it would jettison the top wing, to reduce drag. (Apparently they tested it and it actually kind of worked, or at least it didn't kill them.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillson_Bi-mono

What a wacky concept, I love it.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
this is my favorite bit:

quote:

the maximum speed of the biplane configuration was slower than the stalling speed of the monoplane configuration

love to have a "stall immediately" button on my airplane

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

the milk machine posted:

this is my favorite bit:

love to have a "stall immediately" button on my airplane

Nonchalantly described as "a few hundred feet in altitude being lost when the upper wing was jettisoned."

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
lol it's tiny too

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Doesn't that concept work the wrong way. When I'm taking it's not an issue if the runway is too short, I would just decide not to take off. Or if I'm desperate maybe I would use a towcar as a help.

But when I'm coming in for landing I would absolutely want the runway to be long enough.

How much better a tricycle plane is at braking than acceleration?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Saukkis posted:

Doesn't that concept work the wrong way. When I'm taking it's not an issue if the runway is too short, I would just decide not to take off. Or if I'm desperate maybe I would use a towcar as a help.

But when I'm coming in for landing I would absolutely want the runway to be long enough.

It was meant to be a fighter. Getting an aircraft into the air (where it can fight other aircraft or V-bombs) is more important than getting the aircraft on the ground afterwards. Such extreme short-field takeoff performance meant they could be deployed far forward, from fields and country roads - no runway required. Once they're done, they would fly or glide back to a dedicated airfield (or suitable farm field).

Same line of thinking that lead to people strapping single-use booster rockets onto jet interceptors a decade later.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

How were the wings meant to be recovered?

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

According to the Wikipedia article, the wing was only jettisoned over water - I don't think recovery was intended, like drop-tanks today, and it was wood/fabric so not the most exotic materials.

To be clear, only one was ever made! It wasn't flown more than a handful of times! It was a prototype to test an idea of how to increase takeoff performance as aircraft weights were rising faster than engine performance was being developed. The British government did not ask for a prototype, the company just built it themselves to see what would happen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
JATO before JATO

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Platystemon posted:

JATO before JATO

WATO.

Wing Assisted Take Off

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Wombot posted:

It was meant to be a fighter. Getting an aircraft into the air (where it can fight other aircraft or V-bombs) is more important than getting the aircraft on the ground afterwards. Such extreme short-field takeoff performance meant they could be deployed far forward, from fields and country roads - no runway required. Once they're done, they would fly or glide back to a dedicated airfield (or suitable farm field).

Same line of thinking that lead to people strapping single-use booster rockets onto jet interceptors a decade later.

See also: The Soviet line of Nikitin-Shevchenko polymorphic fighters.

They were conceived in the brief era when monoplane fighters were faster than biplane but had longer takeoff runs and poorer climb performance.

So these were biplane with lower wings that folded up into the underside of the upper wing. So they could takeoff, climb and land as biplanes but cruise, intercept and fight as monoplanes.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Crimson skies rear end airplane.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Wombot posted:

According to the Wikipedia article, the wing was only jettisoned over water - I don't think recovery was intended, like drop-tanks today, and it was wood/fabric so not the most exotic materials.

To be clear, only one was ever made! It wasn't flown more than a handful of times! It was a prototype to test an idea of how to increase takeoff performance as aircraft weights were rising faster than engine performance was being developed. The British government did not ask for a prototype, the company just built it themselves to see what would happen.

Per that article, they also modified a Hurricane to use the disposable wing, which I wish we had pictures of.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

EasilyConfused posted:

Per that article, they also modified a Hurricane to use the disposable wing, which I wish we had pictures of.

Ironic, since the Hurricane is, at heart, a monoplane version of the Fury biplane.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

BalloonFish posted:

Ironic, since the Hurricane is, at heart, a monoplane version of the Fury biplane.

:love:

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Saukkis posted:

There's a ton of variables involved but generally landing distances are a good bit shorter than take off. Landing speeds are slower than take off speeds - the plane is lighter and can use more flaps since the drag is helpful rather than a hindrance - and brakes are (usually) more "powerful" than engines.

Airliner brakes in particular are incredibly powerful; very similar to F1 cars with "packs" of multiple discs and full circle friction surfaces. Most airliners can land in around 1/2 to 2/3rds their takeoff distance under normal operation, shorter than that if they're willing to make the passengers a bit uncomfy, and in a spectacularly short distance if they treat the brakes as disposable and maybe get ARFF involved.

In the bi-mono's case, landing speeds would have been higher since it was missing ~half its takeoff lift, plus conventional gear means it can't brake as hard as a tricycle, so it probably did need a lot more runway for landing than takeoff.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elviscat posted:

WATO.

Wing Assisted Take Off

The F-104 laughs in your face.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Theris posted:

There's a ton of variables involved but generally landing distances are a good bit shorter than take off. Landing speeds are slower than take off speeds - the plane is lighter and can use more flaps since the drag is helpful rather than a hindrance - and brakes are (usually) more "powerful" than engines.

Airliner brakes in particular are incredibly powerful; very similar to F1 cars with "packs" of multiple discs and full circle friction surfaces. Most airliners can land in around 1/2 to 2/3rds their takeoff distance under normal operation, shorter than that if they're willing to make the passengers a bit uncomfy, and in a spectacularly short distance if they treat the brakes as disposable and maybe get ARFF involved.

In the bi-mono's case, landing speeds would have been higher since it was missing ~half its takeoff lift, plus conventional gear means it can't brake as hard as a tricycle, so it probably did need a lot more runway for landing than takeoff.

I am always impressed by this video of the B747-8 doing certification brake tests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g6UswiRCF0

They load it up to maximum weight, machine down the brakes to the minimum allowed amount of friction material, do a hot/high takeoff with the highest ground speeds and reject just before V1 without using reverse thrust. And although the brakes end up smoking and flaming, it stops in a remarkably short distance.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BalloonFish posted:

I am always impressed by this video of the B747-8 doing certification brake tests:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g6UswiRCF0

They load it up to maximum weight, machine down the brakes to the minimum allowed amount of friction material, do a hot/high takeoff with the highest ground speeds and reject just before V1 without using reverse thrust. And although the brakes end up smoking and flaming, it stops in a remarkably short distance.

Here's a rejected takeoff test that went wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irTizOVM-3U

Basically poor planning and communication coupled with wheels that needed to be redesigned. The test requires the plane to just sit there and soak the heat for some period of time after coming to a complete stop, but in this case firefighters saw the initial licks of flame and started to approach to put water on them, and then the wheels started to explode. And in the meantime, the flight crew is freaking out because nobody has bothered to bring the ladder for them to get off the burning airplane.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Hmm, I don't recall seeing this lesson on the PPL syllabus: Student pilot tried to open Alaska Airlines plane cockpit multiple times mid-flight

quote:

Jones told the flight attendants that he was "testing them," according to the affidavit. When the aircraft landed at Dulles International Airport in Virginia, Jones allowed law enforcement to search his luggage, where agents found "multiple notebooks with writings describing how to operate an aircraft, including take-off, in-air, and landing techniques," according to the affidavit. His wallet also contained a student pilot's license, the affidavit said.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
is there something in the water at the Alaska terminals in airports or what :negative:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Apparently Pakistani flight attendants have been going missing in Toronto. The most recently one left her uniform and a thank-you note in her room.

https://nowtoronto.com/news/tenth-flight-attendant-to-go-missing-in-toronto-leaves-thank-you-note-and-uniform-in-hotel/

quote:

According to Arab News, PIA has already conducted investigations into the missing persons, publicly announcing their termination of employment.

They’ve also enforced that flight attendants travelling to these regions must be above the age of fifty years old in order to reduce the number of young air hostesses serving on Europe and Canada flights.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

Apparently Pakistani flight attendants have been going missing in Toronto. The most recently one left her uniform and a thank-you note in her room.

https://nowtoronto.com/news/tenth-flight-attendant-to-go-missing-in-toronto-leaves-thank-you-note-and-uniform-in-hotel/

That is...really bad

Guys, have I told you lately that Canada sucks at natsec?

e: OK reading the article, it sounds like people are vanishing to immigrate. I mean, hopefully.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 13, 2024

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Delta chat bot: so your seats are 25AB, 26EF, 22DE
Me: can we move the 22DE to be a window seat? I'm traveling with a toddler
Chat bot: 22DE is a window seat, sir
Me: uhh
Annoyed chat bot: the A220-100 is ABC DE five abreast
:doh:

Does the A220 slot in between the EJet and the 737 I guess? I've been in regional jets but it was either 2-2 or 2-1

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ask the chat bot about their bereavement policy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Delta chat bot: so your seats are 25AB, 26EF, 22DE
Me: can we move the 22DE to be a window seat? I'm traveling with a toddler
Chat bot: 22DE is a window seat, sir
Me: uhh
Annoyed chat bot: the A220-100 is ABC DE five abreast
:doh:

Does the A220 slot in between the EJet and the 737 I guess? I've been in regional jets but it was either 2-2 or 2-1

It’s an equivalent to the 717 and formerly DC-9-50

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Ask the chat bot about their bereavement policy.

Why else would I be talking to the delta chat bot for a flight out of the west coast