Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I loved both Knives Out and Glass Onion. They're not really meticulously crafted mysteries, but they embody Johnson's storytelling sense. The man's a magician, and the whole point of a magic act is sleight of hand and misdirection to draw your attention to the right wrong place. People derogatorily say he's all about "subverting expectations" instead of telling the classic story you came to see, but every time he pulls the rug it's with clear purpose.

e: Brothers Bloom is maybe his least film (as in, it's the one I remember the least), but it basically spells this out in the first five minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The “subverting expectations” complaint poo poo is so tiresome. Yet another thing we have RLM to thank for starting.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Alhazred posted:

So is the real life characters it made fun of.

Other than Musk who were those? They seemed pretty generic archetypes like yeah that Hollywood actress fits the bill but so do 3 others.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bautista is very clearly supposed to be a composite of Joe Rogan and Andrew Tate

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arist posted:

They're not really meticulously crafted mysteries, but they embody Johnson's storytelling sense.

Well, nah, I disagree -- in the sense that Rian Johnson can craft a more thorough mystery (Brick) so his storytelling sensibilities are clearly more expansive than a single mode. He's just choosing not to make something more complex here because the goal is to basically make popcorn flicks you watch while half in the bag on Christmas morning. (Certainly so in the case of the second film.)

But yeah, I think we roughly agree about Knives Out / Glass Onion. In the case of those two films they're not traditional murder mystery things. e.g. there aren't really suspects. Other than the recurring detective character there are basically only three characters to pay attention to in either film, everyone else just exists to underline the overall theme.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

With everything else Brick is going for I wouldn't really call it much of a "mystery." I'm not saying Johnson is at all a one-note filmmaker, I'm saying his priority in KO and GO is trying to twist the murder mystery framework by getting the audience to overlook the extraordinarily obvious truth. For me at least, they wildly succeed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alhazred posted:

So is the real life characters it made fun of.

Also I didn't get why all these asholes were friends.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
They had an actual flashback in the movie explaining that though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

They're, like, disruptors, man.

Just so we're clear, I love Glass Onion.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 12, 2024

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rian Johnson makes good movies but I also would 100% believe it if he was a giant smug rear end in a top hat in real life.

It's also kind of funny that he was paid 100 million to do Glass Onion.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Shageletic posted:

Why did Musk marry Grimes? Some things are just a mystery.

I've always assumed people with money and fame simply flock together to spread the prestige cyclically amongst themselves.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
they made the same rokos basilisk joke and had to get married by law

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ymgve posted:

they made the same rokos basilisk joke and had to get married by law

Yeah if they didn't breed a superchild the AI would get mad for their lack of commitment to its apotheosis. All rich people suffer this way.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They had an actual flashback in the movie explaining that though.

Huh must have forgotten that part.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

Huh must have forgotten that part.

They were all friends early on before Norton's character got rich, hanging out at that bar trying to make it big. They were different, but in a way that I bought for the flashback, all brought together by Andi. And they mostly didn't like Norton's character, but tolerated him because of Andi. Then he got stupid rich, and they all became hanger-ons (hangers on?) to him. They wouldn't really be friends with each other any more if they weren't completely dependent on him for their livelihood. They should have moved on from each other, but couldn't, because they needed Norton's character. It's kind of the whole point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_2UvMV1mdY

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pan Dulce posted:

Why did Musk marry Grimes? Some things are just a mystery.

I've always assumed people with money and fame simply flock together to spread the prestige cyclically amongst themselves.

They typically do it because their schedules, demands, and lifestyles are so weird as to make relationships with non-famous people really difficult. Celebrities experience a much sadder, lonelier world than the rest of us.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They never got married.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

Rian Johnson makes good movies but I also would 100% believe it if he was a giant smug rear end in a top hat in real life.

It's also kind of funny that he was paid 100 million to do Glass Onion.

Eh. When it comes to people being jerks, I always look out for collaborators. Like, you can tell Tommy Wiseau is actually both crazy and an rear end in a top hat given that the second he got a few guest gigs on shows he never worked with any of those people again. Vs, say, Wes Anderson who borderline has a troupe of A-listers at this point. It's more complicated than that, but Johnson has enough reoccuring people between film and Poker Face that he's probably an ok guy.

Glass Onion didn't have particularly deep satire, but it was a lot of fun so that can be forgiven.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1767623230922145957

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I met Rian Johnson at Celebration 2017 when he spent a solid 2-3 hours talking to and signing stuff for every single person who wanted to talk to him while waiting in line for the panels. Incredibly gracious and humble dude. My friend and I were near the very end of the line and, even after he’d already talked to hundreds of people over the previous hours, he still took the time to have an actual engaged conversation with both of us about his previous work and took photos with us etc.

Sure, it was a convention and he was promoting a new movie, but I have a very hard time believing he’s actually a secret rear end in a top hat of some kind.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

The Simpsons were on Thursdays for a spell, beating The Cosby Show in the ratings.

I want to say it's been 25-ish years since the last animation prime time fad, and it was dire ( either in quality or viewership).

That must have driven Cosby loving ballistic

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Marvel sez: Hold DeMayo!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Super weird they won't say anything about why and there's not some associated "horrible thing we found out about this dude."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He deleted his personal instagram, which seems like there's a scandal about to drop.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Marvel sez: Hold DeMayo!

Ha.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm starting 5th episode of Season 3 of the 100 which I've been marathoning while being ill. The show is stupid enough on a level for it to be watchable while being ill but still having hooks and plot. I'm definitely getting more of strenuous "haha fanfic/too handy a moment" laughs as the series progresses, it's corny but entertaining.

I believe INTERNET has discussed (general spoilers over all 2 and a change of seasons)

The fact they didn't do any Earth observing is a huge plot hole solely for season 1. If they had bothered to point some cameras Earth-wards to see what's going on, even primitive human civilization using torches should have been visible from space as no other sources of light from modern light pollution should be active. So Earth being "livable" would have not been a surprise. How radiation works in the series makes no sense either but ehh.

I like the fact there's decent amount of character progression in the show for better or worse, and characters that are "good" make bad decisions. A lot of stuff happening seems like RPG-morality choice stuff to a fault though, but I don't mind this. Honestly I feel Abby made the wrong decision in not abandoning camp Jaha. Thelonious has been off the deep end for a long time. I could've sworn it was Murphy who was the "grounder" who blew up the mountain, but then there's still been no appearances by Raven and the mechanic/engineer boss from what I remember after the blast? Maybe I'm misremembering. I expected them to roll the guy and show Murphy.

Murphy's a bad guy but it's surprising they decided to continue on his character progression. He seems like almost your token contrarian/skeptic and I hope he is not actually the grounder guy. Him just going gently caress this poo poo with Thelonious' quasi-religious enlightement to find a different way in the past season.... I hope amounts to something. I am honestly looking forward to more Murphy being like a secondary viewer surrogate of "gently caress this poo poo"-style. Thelonious was off the deep end but the quartz or whatever seems to have...mind controlling capabilities? It's probably related to the trance and seeing the "City of Light". I would guess for some sort of time dilation sort of effect to turn someone but eh the show doesn't seem to suggest the time passes differently in "the City". I can see the AI's plan being making all humans docile with the City of Light, maybe supposedly for good or to ensure every last human is killed by their own power as the AI's fake religion spreads like a cancer. Escapism is a strong force.

I felt like third season's start was a dumb way to reset second season's ending and the betrayal. If I were Clarke/From the Ark I think I would not trust any of the grounders at all and the long game would be to annihilate them all. For revenge and security. That's genocidal speech but man the tribes have been a scourge from the beginning, even if the show has shown individuals in the tribes to be fine they've been an absolute agents of chaos time and time again. People from the Ark should honestly just hope to relocate completely somewhere different but that's not what creates drama.

Oh and the Acid Fog would've realistically been rendered useless by a heavy downpour, right?

edit: Bellamy going out and about to kill the grounders seems like a heel turn that doesn't fit his character at this point. I was honestly kinda expecting him to lure the traitors and turning them in or just dealing with them himself

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 12, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

He deleted his personal instagram, which seems like there's a scandal about to drop.

He was personally censoring Rogue's rear end.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Khanstant posted:

Super weird they won't say anything about why and there's not some associated "horrible thing we found out about this dude."

Clearly it's about the cake removal

e: :argh:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dessel posted:

I'm starting 5th episode of Season 3 of the 100 which I've been marathoning while being ill. The show is stupid enough on a level for it to be watchable while being ill but still having hooks and plot. I'm definitely getting more of strenuous "haha fanfic/too handy a moment" laughs as the series progresses, it's corny but entertaining.

I believe INTERNET has discussed (general spoilers over all 2 and a change of seasons)

:words:

Jaha's wild ride is one of my favorite parts of the show.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nothing about the 100 is remotely realistic or makes sense if you think about it but!!! It’s one hell of a fun ride.

Just wait till you get to the end of season 5 for some lol.

It’s a good show.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dessel posted:

The fact they didn't do any Earth observing is a huge plot hole solely for season 1. If they had bothered to point some cameras Earth-wards to see what's going on, even primitive human civilization using torches should have been visible from space as no other sources of light from modern light pollution should be active. So Earth being "livable" would have not been a surprise. How radiation works in the series makes no sense either but ehh.

I like the fact there's decent amount of character progression in the show for better or worse, and characters that are "good" make bad decisions. A lot of stuff happening seems like RPG-morality choice stuff to a fault though, but I don't mind this. Honestly I feel Abby made the wrong decision in not abandoning camp Jaha. Thelonious has been off the deep end for a long time. I could've sworn it was Murphy who was the "grounder" who blew up the mountain, but then there's still been no appearances by Raven and the mechanic/engineer boss from what I remember after the blast? Maybe I'm misremembering. I expected them to roll the guy and show Murphy.

Murphy's a bad guy but it's surprising they decided to continue on his character progression. He seems like almost your token contrarian/skeptic and I hope he is not actually the grounder guy. Him just going gently caress this poo poo with Thelonious' quasi-religious enlightement to find a different way in the past season.... I hope amounts to something. I am honestly looking forward to more Murphy being like a secondary viewer surrogate of "gently caress this poo poo"-style. Thelonious was off the deep end but the quartz or whatever seems to have...mind controlling capabilities? It's probably related to the trance and seeing the "City of Light". I would guess for some sort of time dilation sort of effect to turn someone but eh the show doesn't seem to suggest the time passes differently in "the City". I can see the AI's plan being making all humans docile with the City of Light, maybe supposedly for good or to ensure every last human is killed by their own power as the AI's fake religion spreads like a cancer. Escapism is a strong force.

I felt like third season's start was a dumb way to reset second season's ending and the betrayal. If I were Clarke/From the Ark I think I would not trust any of the grounders at all and the long game would be to annihilate them all. For revenge and security. That's genocidal speech but man the tribes have been a scourge from the beginning, even if the show has shown individuals in the tribes to be fine they've been an absolute agents of chaos time and time again. People from the Ark should honestly just hope to relocate completely somewhere different but that's not what creates drama.

Oh and the Acid Fog would've realistically been rendered useless by a heavy downpour, right?

edit: Bellamy going out and about to kill the grounders seems like a heel turn that doesn't fit his character at this point. I was honestly kinda expecting him to lure the traitors and turning them in or just dealing with them himself

I'm only going to comment on your face blindness. Murphy has nothing to do with the mountain exploding.

Otherwise, enjoy the ride.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Nothing about the 100 is remotely realistic or makes sense if you think about it but!!! It’s one hell of a fun ride.

Just wait till you get to the end of season 5 for some lol.

It’s a good show.

Surprised at the positive reviews now. I don’t think it was that well received when it aired and was super corny but few years down the line people seem to like it more.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mokotow posted:

Surprised at the positive reviews now. I don’t think it was that well received when it aired and was super corny but few years down the line people seem to like it more.

It was pretty popular when it aired. No one thought it was high art but it was typical CW soap with an interesting sci-fi post collapse conspiracy stuff.

Once it got memed into the "kills all lesbians show" it started to suffer but the first 3 seasons were pretty good, way better then it had any right to be.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The thread in here was pretty good too. Coined the term Genghis Clarke.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Digital Jedi posted:

We don't know. The show never gave a definitive answer.

Because their was a definitive Yes or No, it leaves fans of the show to speculate
A wild fan theory was Spader is actually her mother.

I think a more grounded one was more along the lines that Spader took the identity of Liz's father back in the 80s. Her father being KGB had connections all over and dirt on the right people. Spader basically became him and using the identity created Raymond Reddington 'The Concierge of Crime'.

Liz got killed off. Just gunned down on a street corner and never was on the show again. After that the story of Red faded away for the most part.

Red is 100% confirmed by the showrunners to be Lizzie's Mom not Dad after spending $40 million of stolen loot to turn Lotte Verbeek :allears: into young James Spader :allears: . The show started spilling it around the end of Season 8 when Megan Boone tapped out. It is sort of dumb in lieu of other reveals like Dad or even concerned Uncle or Time Traveling Grandson until you remember that this show had many X-Files type villains and evil scientists and anything is possible.

...like watch the next 20 seconds of this silly fan clip thing where it has the mom saying she had to undergo a "complete transformation" and then shows an operating table and then a young james spader looking person.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1b6OFHxCmw&t=76s

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 13, 2024

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

muscles like this! posted:

He was personally censoring Rogue's rear end.

The what and the what now?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh, those are two pipes. I thought that was a video about The Blacklist 2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aces High posted:

The what and the what now?

People have been complaining about clips from the new show and how Rogue's butt looks flatter than the old show. There were definitely some moments on the old series where some extra attention was paid to Rogue.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thank you providing context for a weird thumbnail I saw either through that link or looking up the dude earlier. It had two images of rogue rear end and some angry text and I'm just at a point in my life where I don't need to hear the ravings of anyone angry about butts. Personally I think butts are good and so long as they aren't removing them completely for weird disconnected torsos like Rayman-- there's no need to get mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Now we know why Roku was changing their TOS and forcing everyone into it.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/3/12/24098398/roku-hackers-breach-credit-card-info