Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Monica Bellucci posted:

I only just saw a thing with Hans Zimmer in it last night. I never knew he previously represented the Barksdale gang legally.

Do the Naib know we gonna look like some punk-rear end bitches out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Later for that Fedaykin poo poo.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Monica Bellucci posted:

Nah, Thufir conspired with all the Harkonnens against all the other Harkonnens and everybody else. Just sprinkle three scenes that are basically the same but visually different throughout the movie and have it be a different Harkonnen each time. Ten minutes or less in Toto.

No fight here, I just feel robbed of the Thufir / Paul reunion which I think was a great moment in the novel and at worst a close second to the Gurney / Paul reunion. If they pulled THAT one I'd be throwing a chair.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
*Nods* Gurney Halleck is The Man.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Monica Bellucci posted:

I only just saw a thing with Hans Zimmer in it last night. I never knew he previously represented the Barksdale gang legally.

You've got that wrong, he was Veronica Mars' business teacher.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Have still never watched Veronica Mars. I'll get around to it.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I cannot get Timmy's delivery of "lead them to paradise" out of my head. He is so utterly defeated in victory.

No movie is perfect but at least after one IMAX viewing, this one is up there in terms of sheer joy of the cinema. I am a little bummed that they didn't go into the Guild/CHOAM politics, even simplified - the destruction/control of spice hits so well when they can literally see the end of their prescience. I also wouldn't have hated Mother Gaius giving her "you cannot loose these people upon the universe" line. Alas. Still really good.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Monica Bellucci posted:

*Nods* Gurney Halleck is The Man.

I kinda wish the reunion scene had been longer, at least to the point that Gurney gazed in confusion about a worm approaching, and nobody seeming alarmed.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I wanted him singing Caladanian Girls but I expect Herbert the Lesser would've thrown a strop.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Admiral Bosch posted:

I am a little bummed that they didn't go into the Guild/CHOAM politics, even simplified - the destruction/control of spice hits so well when they can literally see the end of their prescience.

This is the only omission/cut that I think actually hurt the film, rather than just making nerds like me mad their pet moment wasn't in there to geek out over. It would better show the leverage controlling the spice gave Paul.

The film still rules, though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thufir is weird because it seems like they were setting it up in Pt.1.

I think Villeneuve is wary of introducing too many factions at once so Atredies, Harkonnen, Bene Gesserit and the Sardukar are put in the first. And the second has Corrino and Fremen along with a deeper dive into Harkonnen.

Films move a lot faster than novels so the thinking was it would become impossible to keep track of all these factions and their moves in such a short time. It might also be that they're hoping to save some of the CHOAM and guild stuff for Messiah

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

sean10mm posted:

This is the only omission/cut that I think actually hurt the film, rather than just making nerds like me mad their pet moment wasn't in there to geek out over. It would better show the leverage controlling the spice gave Paul.

The film still rules, though.

I think it hurts the film, but only until we get a part 3 that addresses it, and then it will fit right in with the political machinations Dune Messiah centers on, and the trilogy will be stronger for pushing it to the third installment.

As has been mentioned, Dune Messiah is very short compared to Dune, and will need some added content to make it a nearly 3-hour film. The Guild/CHOAM/spice politics and a niceterrifying Fremen Jihad montage are perfect for that content.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Thufir was meant to have more scenes in #1 also. there's a scene where Pitr and Thufir talk and then Pitr chugs some Saphooooooo. both characters needed more time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i may have liked a little bit about what the mentats are because i find them interesting as a concept but eh, the movies were long enough already. if i want that stuff i can just reread the books.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

even worse than missing out on thufir: where the gently caress was the spider mutant?? what's that thing up to?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Anonymous Zebra posted:

It's going to end with Chani stabbing him, bookending with his first complete vision of her in the first movie. He's going to let it happen to free himself from the threads of destiny and allowing a Fremen to rule Arrakis like he promised her.

The above is just speculation, but I think it's where things are going.

Thinking about it both his death and him wandering off could be the ending, either one as a metaphor for the other.

Gaius Marius posted:

Thufir is weird because it seems like they were setting it up in Pt.1.

I think Villeneuve is wary of introducing too many factions at once so Atredies, Harkonnen, Bene Gesserit and the Sardukar are put in the first. And the second has Corrino and Fremen along with a deeper dive into Harkonnen.

Films move a lot faster than novels so the thinking was it would become impossible to keep track of all these factions and their moves in such a short time. It might also be that they're hoping to save some of the CHOAM and guild stuff for Messiah

That seems likely. First movie was also pretty light on the more mystical side of things so it'd make sense he would compartmentalize elements for each movie.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

kalel posted:

even worse than missing out on thufir: where the gently caress was the spider mutant?? what's that thing up to?

Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam never sad, "Come Back!"

Carillon
May 9, 2014

One question, maybe spoilers, but I had to step out of the film when Lady Margot Fenring watches Feyd-Rautha fight. I came back right after the scene ends in his chambers. What if anything did I miss? I don't think it was much, and could infer by context she's pregnant? But is there anything else?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Carillon posted:

One question, maybe spoilers, but I had to step out of the film when Lady Margot Fenring watches Feyd-Rautha fight. I came back right after the scene ends in his chambers. What if anything did I miss? I don't think it was much, and could infer by context she's pregnant? But is there anything else?

She tested him the same way Paul was tested and confirmed he had the same potential as kwisatz haderach but was also able to be controlled more easily by the BG.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thanks!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

kalel posted:

I still choose to believe that it's Yueh's wife.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
It's stuck on a ceiling,

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I still choose to believe that it's Yueh's wife.

gently caress, are you the one I got that from? I swear I saw that somewhere here and could never stop thinking about it.

On another topic, I think in the film it’s reasonable to assume that the Fremen, while not the complete primatives the Harkonnens want to believe they are, don’t know anything about piloting starships.

They are marching up the ramps en masse, to be assault troops, I assume. But are the Harkonnen ship crewmembers just now aligned with Paul?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

MrMojok posted:

gently caress, are you the one I got that from? I swear I saw that somewhere here and could never stop thinking about it.

On another topic, I think in the film it’s reasonable to assume that the Fremen, while not the complete primatives the Harkonnens want to believe they are, don’t know anything about piloting starships.

They are marching up the ramps en masse, to be assault troops, I assume. But are the Harkonnen ship crewmembers just now aligned with Paul?

One of the things left out by sidelining the Spacing Guild in the plot is that basically those ships almost certainly entirely belong to the Guild. There are exceptions but for the most part you're probably not getting into orbit without them, much less going to another world. So in the original, Paul cows the Guild as well as the Emperor with his willingness to destroy the spice, effectively making those ships "his" by power of You Work For Me Now.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam never sad, "Come Back!"

:sadwave:

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

MrMojok posted:

Chani just randomly learned how to pilot an ornithopter somewhere, so who's to say a Fremen can't pilot a starship.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
So does Paul marrying Irulan actually change anything if he's going to war against the rest of the galaxy anyway? Are we assume some third parties stay neutral?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

CBC interview with Denis in case anyone missed it. I listened to a bit and caught the part about him wanting to film with minimal dialogue and little exposition.

https://www.cbc.ca/arts/q/denis-villeneuve-explains-how-quebec-s-history-plays-into-his-sweeping-vision-for-dune-part-two-1.7137979

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

CBC interview with Denis in case anyone missed it. I listened to a bit and caught the part about him wanting to film with minimal dialogue and little exposition.

https://www.cbc.ca/arts/q/denis-villeneuve-explains-how-quebec-s-history-plays-into-his-sweeping-vision-for-dune-part-two-1.7137979

jesus loving christ

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

She tested him the same way Paul was tested and confirmed he had the same potential as kwisatz haderach but was also able to be controlled more easily by the BG.

That was hands-down my favourite addition of Villeneuve's. Such a great and powerful way to demonstrate that the BGs are still meddling and preparing backups. Almost didn't need the conversation afterwards.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Scarabrae posted:

jesus loving christ

The thing of when you get a director that do his stuff without interference, is that you get things done HIS way.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

YaketySass posted:

So does Paul marrying Irulan actually change anything if he's going to war against the rest of the galaxy anyway? Are we assume some third parties stay neutral?

We can only guess so because Paul sees this path as the best future.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Carillon posted:

I just saw it so it's fresh in my memory she sneaks up on him as he is wandering the halls while fireworks are going off. He holds a knife to her throat but she says the right things to get him to release her. using a combination of the Voice and pussy magic, she lures him back to her chambers and makes him kneel. Then she says "put your hand in the box" and the camera swoops over to show she is holding the gom jabbar to his neck.

She spermjacked the dude and you're laughing!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Turpitude posted:

I just saw it so it's fresh in my memory she sneaks up on him as he is wandering the halls while fireworks are going off. He holds a knife to her throat but she says the right things to get him to release her. using a combination of the Voice and pussy magic, she lures him back to her chambers and makes him kneel. Then she says "put your hand in the box" and the camera swoops over to show she is holding the gom jabbar to his neck.

She spermjacked the dude and you're laughing!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DcYXlhRgJ_E&pp=ygUNUHVzc3kgY29udHJvbA%3D%3D

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Instead of killing Yueh in part one I think the Baron should have just given him back the spider.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Scags McDouglas posted:

Instead of killing Yueh in part one I think the Baron should have just given him back the spider.

he should have cut up yueh and frankensteined his parts onto the spider

"I said you could join her... so join her"

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I’ve never read or watched anything related to Dune before these movies, so it’s been interesting reading the last few pages of the thread. In the absence of background knowledge I’ve assumed a bunch of stuff that doesn’t seem to be what people familiar with the source material are thinking.

Like in the ending… the emperor doesn’t call Paul’s bluff, but the Houses do. They refuse to acknowledge him and he doesn’t nuke anything in response. Next they’ll all try to claim the planet for themselves, so Paul wants to take the fight to them instead. Since idk anything about space travel other than there’s a guild and you need spice, I’m assuming there are space pilots working for the emperor who will now take orders from Paul, and Paul has all the spice including control of new production (except whatever stockpiles still exist in backup elsewhere like the Harkonnen had in the first film) so his control of the spice is still a serious threat in the long term even if he doesn’t blow anything up. I’m getting from this thread there are a bunch of logistical problems that were totally glossed over here but it scans okay when I don’t know about them.

I also didn’t think Chani was a jilted lover. What Paul is doing with that marriage is declaring himself emperor within the existing system, dragging the Fremen even further into war and placing himself as the leader, when what Chani wanted was seemingly just to kick everyone else off the planet and be able to self-govern. Even if Paul left to be emperor on his own and “let” the Fremen manage their own planet, he’s still rejecting the Fremen way of life she was welcoming him into. But I take it in the book she’s mad about the marriage and otherwise just cool with this? :confused: You all aren’t kidding about changing her character, then!

After watching part 1 I did have to look one thing up from the book because it was bothering me so much, which was “if the spice enables space travel and people aren’t descended from the Fremen, how did they find out about spice?” So I wish there’d been a line about modern space travel or something to allude to there being previous means. But otherwise things feel like they hang together, from a totally naive perspective. The dots I’m connecting might be wrong compared to the books but nothing feels like it outright doesn’t make sense.

Anyway the movies are cool, I hope they make a third one.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

kaom posted:

I also didn’t think Chani was a jilted lover. What Paul is doing with that marriage is declaring himself emperor within the existing system, dragging the Fremen even further into war and placing himself as the leader, when what Chani wanted was seemingly just to kick everyone else off the planet and be able to self-govern. Even if Paul left to be emperor on his own and “let” the Fremen manage their own planet, he’s still rejecting the Fremen way of life she was welcoming him into. But I take it in the book she’s mad about the marriage and otherwise just cool with this? :confused: You all aren’t kidding about changing her character, then!

Chani isn't mad about anything in the books because she is an incredibly flat and shallow character that just does whatever Paul tells her after they meet up. A lot of people in this thread think that the movie including Paul telling her, "Don't worry babe, you're still the only girl for me." somehow would have changed her decision in the movie, when the real issue was that he broke every promise he made to her over the course of the whole film. He promised her he wasn't the Messiah, that he had no interest being a Duke anymore, and that he just wanted to be her equal. He constantly was asking her to just trust him slowly wiping away her lingering doubts, and then in the end he not only rejected all of that, fooled the Fremen into following a false prophecy, and proclaimed himself Emperor, but he couldn't even keep the simple promise of staying with her. She's a much better character in the movie than the books.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

kaom posted:

I’ve never read or watched anything related to Dune before these movies, so it’s been interesting reading the last few pages of the thread. In the absence of background knowledge I’ve assumed a bunch of stuff that doesn’t seem to be what people familiar with the source material are thinking.

Like in the ending… the emperor doesn’t call Paul’s bluff, but the Houses do. They refuse to acknowledge him and he doesn’t nuke anything in response. Next they’ll all try to claim the planet for themselves, so Paul wants to take the fight to them instead. Since idk anything about space travel other than there’s a guild and you need spice, I’m assuming there are space pilots working for the emperor who will now take orders from Paul, and Paul has all the spice including control of new production (except whatever stockpiles still exist in backup elsewhere like the Harkonnen had in the first film) so his control of the spice is still a serious threat in the long term even if he doesn’t blow anything up. I’m getting from this thread there are a bunch of logistical problems that were totally glossed over here but it scans okay when I don’t know about them.

After watching part 1 I did have to look one thing up from the book because it was bothering me so much, which was “if the spice enables space travel and people aren’t descended from the Fremen, how did they find out about spice?” So I wish there’d been a line about modern space travel or something to allude to there being previous means. But otherwise things feel like they hang together, from a totally naive perspective. The dots I’m connecting might be wrong compared to the books but nothing feels like it outright doesn’t make sense.

Anyway the movies are cool, I hope they make a third one.

Something that probably doesn’t come across in the films that makes exposition a bit difficult is that humanity is in a sort of a dark age where most people are ignorant, yet don’t even know they’re ignorant. A handful of people within secretive groups have a lot of knowledge, and those groups aren’t even sharing with each other. Although Paul and the reader will eventually have the full picture, most of the cast wouldn’t really know to question some things, let alone be able to deliver exposition. Spice and space travel is a big part of it. While everyone knows the guild needs spice for space travel, few outside of the guild could guess that they need the prescience it provides to plot routes through space without advanced computers. The book doesn’t even give the clues for that until surprisingly far in and even then it’s somewhat left to the reader to connect the dots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Spice being used for space travel is literally not something anyone but the Spacing Guild knows. It's an Act 3 major plot twist when Paul finally figures that out, and a major big deal when a Guild Navigator gets jostled and his contact falls out revealing his bright blue spice addict eyes. Everyone uses the Spice because it is a health-improving drug that makes people live incredibly long lives and keeps their minds sharp and clear. The fact that it causes prescience is not something anyone knows but the Guild and maybe the Sisterhood.