Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How does he feel about being a race car driver, airplane pilot or space pirate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Not military and he right now has no idea what he wants to do which is why my sister was wondering.

I showed him my drone over the weekend and there was just no interest.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

How about thief simulator :ninja:

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Good news. Theres heaps of training apps for VR!

Bad news! They're all gated behind paywalls and places like viveport where you have to have specific access to them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Not military and he right now has no idea what he wants to do which is why my sister was wondering.

I showed him my drone over the weekend and there was just no interest.

cooking simulator!!!! it's nothing like working in a real kitchen of course but it might attract interest. it's got upgrades and things to buy to keep interest

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Get a productivity app and do some spreadsheets

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My nephew got a Quest 2 recently and his mom was wondering if there are any career exploration apps that can showcase certain careers.

I could not think of anything other than the game Job Simulator but I do not think that is what she is asking for.

These are free and neat:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/970800/Short_Circuit_VR/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2125820/Shortcuit/

But the devs seem like they kinda left the projects unfinished.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

These are free and neat:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/970800/Short_Circuit_VR/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2125820/Shortcuit/

But the devs seem like they kinda left the projects unfinished.

I'm disappointed at the lack of Johnny Five that title promises. :colbert:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

My nephew got a Quest 2 recently and his mom was wondering if there are any career exploration apps that can showcase certain careers.

I could not think of anything other than the game Job Simulator but I do not think that is what she is asking for.

For the mom:

Look, most careers at this point are about sitting on a chair in front of a computer for 8 hours, be programming, or designing, or writing emails, or writing planning or training documents, or doing SEO, or using a spreadsheet, or using a custom app for whatever department of a big company. So you can simulate those perfectly without a VR headset, just with a laptop. Just make sure that 5-6 of the 8 hours is just menial work and useless meetings.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 12, 2024

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Just make sure that 5-6 of the 8 hours is just menial work and useless meetings poo poo-posting on SA.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
SkyrimVR is $12 on GMG so I figured I'd take the plunge.. getting the recommended mod pack installed has been quite the venture though -- go ahead and factor in $5 for a month of Nexus Premium into that purchase price, because otherwise you're going to have to manually confirm downloads for 387 different files lol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly I think I'd still rather do that then give Nexus mods a dime.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Buddy and I played some Walkabout Mini Golf last night and it was great. Perfect VR activity, much like poker.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Some more Quest 3 impressions:

I didn't get it for the AR capabilities but I've been impressed with it. The last headset I had was a Quest 1 and it's wild that the passthrough is actually usable now. I can walk right into the kitchen and get a beer if I want, no problem. Being able to do all the main home menu stuff with the passthrough on feels way less isolating than pure VR. I'm sure the Apple Vision Pro's passthrough is even better, but this is a hell of a device for $500.

Only done a little bit of hand controls but they are markedly improved from the last time I tried it and at this point the only limitation is that the pointers are still fiddly. Actually using your hand to manipulate menus like a touch screen works great.

The strap that it comes with is so bad that I'm shocked they even ship with it. A lot of work went into this thing, and yet people will be turned off because it is legitimately PAINFUL with the stock strap. Not only that but it weighs down so heavily on my brow that it makes the screen blurry. I don't get it, it's like they got to the finish line and tripped. I have a 3rd party halo-style strap coming that I hope solves my issues.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I got the ALVR facial interface and I'm liking that just fine. The cotton material is really nice on the face and while the vents do cause a bit of light bleed, it's really only noticeable at startup.

Also got the INIU charging cable, which works a treat - after a bit of experimenting it seems like the Quest 3 needs 18W to maintain a charge and it gets 20W during gameplay resulting in a slow trickle charge, which is absolutely fine.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

-snip-

Qubee fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 13, 2024

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

sounds like a great way to get some more social interaction in your life.

I enjoy the social aspect of VR Poker - I guess it's called "Vegas Infinite" now? It's not as zany as VR Chat but you can meet some cool people and plus you're all sitting around playing poker so there's something to do.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the comments on seeing double on my Q3. It was indeed an old prescription, that plus lens inserts from Zenni got me fixed pretty good. Is there any use at all to a tracked keyboard? I borrowed a Logitech K375s and it works just fine in the native quest startup room but seems useless everywhere else.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I got a tracked keyboard a while ago to try experimenting with and I have basically no use for it tbqh. Maybe things are different nowadays.

I played with attempting to set up a virtual workspace / virtual workstation with e.g. the Immersed application, but that went nowhere in a lot of weird directions. If the keyboard is "attached" to the headset then there's only so much it supports and not everything treats it right (or at all). The Immersed app in particular was set up assuming you're physically at your workstation or laptop (not sure what the loving point of that is) so it isn't prepared to handle a keyboard-on-headset properly, and in short lots of ways it goes strange without a specific use case.

That was a year or more ago though, maybe things are different now and in particular I think Meta has their own "desktop" application, which I haven't tried.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

AndrewP posted:

Buddy and I played some Walkabout Mini Golf last night and it was great. Perfect VR activity, much like poker.

The new course is incredibly cursed. Trying to putt/chip ice cubes while being gangstalked and judged by a bunch of puffins.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I tried the UEVR injector on my kid's Poppy Playtime games and they're scary as gently caress. Most scared I've been in VR yet, and I didn't find the games to be particularly scary on a screen. The injector works pretty well for a quick and dirty VR mod.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

You know what, sure, I'll go minigolfing in Wallace and Gromit's house:

https://www.mightycoconut.com/wallaceandgromit

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got an email from Meta this morning, they found an issue with the q3 elite battery strap charging. They are sending out replacements after you verify you have an affected serial number, don't even have to send the old one back in.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Leal posted:

Why don't they just get Daft Punk already I need my fix after Alive 2017 never happened.

I feel like this isn't getting talked about enough:

It's rad as hell and I spent a whole hour on just these tracks the other day.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Enos Cabell posted:

Got an email from Meta this morning, they found an issue with the q3 elite battery strap charging. They are sending out replacements after you verify you have an affected serial number, don't even have to send the old one back in.

Mine actually seems to be working okay but I'm eligible so sure, I'll take a free spare

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wintermutant posted:

Mine actually seems to be working okay but I'm eligible so sure, I'll take a free spare

Yeah same, haven't noticed any issues with it at all.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm surprised at how much I prefer the "mixed reality" options in games that offer it (and the home menu). The Quest 3 passthrough isn't good enough to, like, work in, but it's clear enough to be convincing in your peripheral vision when you're focused on AR stuff.

But now I realize why Apple has the "eyes" on the front of the AVP, as weird as they may look - I can see people in the room, but to them I'm still in my own VR world. It's still isolating from their perspective.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

One of my index's light house lazers apparently died after three years. Valve is replacing it for free. Good on valve.

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
I'm surprised by the lack of non-realistic VR racers - like Slipstream 5000, Star Wars Pod Racer, Wipeout, stuff like that.

I bought Redout, which looked like VR Wipeout, but it seems they got rid of its VR option? Well, it showed up once and was broken and the second time I played it didn't even try. I saw one project for Pod Racer, good for them and all but I'd have thought some kind of ridiculous sci-fi racer would have been the first thing on anyone's list of stuff to build/buy.

I really don't want to shoot people, so basically I'm just playing mini-golf at the moment. Walkabout is great btw, really good purchase.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Wipeout, AstroBot, and Ace Combat are the only reasons I haven't gotten rid of my psvr.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

AndrewP posted:

But now I realize why Apple has the "eyes" on the front of the AVP, as weird as they may look - I can see people in the room, but to them I'm still in my own VR world. It's still isolating from their perspective.

okay but it still looks horrifying and uncanny as hell

It's like being stared at by an AI generated image.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like it'd be cheaper and more fun for observers if you just got some googely eyes to stick to the front of your headset.

Played 3 hours of Beatsaber the other day - I got a lil thing set up so I could stream it to some discord friends who saw it from a 3rd person camera. With some additional Beatsaber mods I was able to download extra songs in game, so they were making song requests and it ended up leading me to some pretty fun to play songs.

e: I found a Virtual Insanity beatmap that had a "music video" difficulty mode that I assume (and could kinda tell) was going for motions similar to the music video. Very silly, and quite fun. Only complaint is they didn't figure out how to make chairs slide around.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 13, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/CommuterGames/status/1759570521488867526

There are incredibly very few racing games on Quest unlike say, Beat Saber clones and shooters with zombies, and if we refer to actually good ones, the number goes down to 0, so it's nice to see this coming together.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I picked up Underdogs a few days ago, and it is a drat fun game, a good cardio challenge, and I like how I can use it similarly to Thrill of the Fight to practice maintaining a stance and practicing punch combos. Very satisfying to jab a robot coyote in the face and then combo into a right hook at the other robot leaping in the air at you, and I like the roguelike progression elements.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

https://twitter.com/CommuterGames/status/1759570521488867526

There are incredibly very few racing games on Quest unlike say, Beat Saber clones and shooters with zombies, and if we refer to actually good ones, the number goes down to 0, so it's nice to see this coming together.

That looks pretty good, it is weird how few racing games there are like this.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

My one disappointment with VR racing is no one decided to basically just copy initial D. The closest I've gotten is in project cars 3 toning down the sim elements, but it's just not there. I wanna go fast, drift, and listen to eurobeat

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ishikabibble posted:

okay but it still looks horrifying and uncanny as hell

It's like being stared at by an AI generated image.

i like the three eyed cyber monster the quest 3 turns my face into

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I feel like driving / flying is the single most obvious genre for VR, so it's a bit bewildering it doesn't dominate. Reduced motion sickness, best vantage point to take advantage of scale, controllers are less immersion breaking etc.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Snackmar posted:

I picked up the song pack a few days ago, its great fun. I don't really like "Veridis Quo" but I've been trying to finish "Around The World / Harder Better Faster Stronger" on Extreme for a bout 4 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Snackmar posted:

Recently found out you can't use Gamestop trade in for currency gift cards :mad: Have like $18 leftover after buying a FFXIV gametime card.