Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Arc Hammer posted:

If you stick an airstrike, orbital strike etc on a charger will it track the bug while it moves or will it only target the area where you first stuck the calldown?

In general blue balls will stick to and drop on targets - like you can stick a charger with an EAT or resupply pod and it'll come down where the target is at

Barring some specific exceptions for strategems that track targets on their own (Orbitcal railcannon, orbital laser, etc), red balls will stick to targets but the actual drop location will be where the ball first "landed". So if your target moved 50m it'll drop in on the original location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

So Angel's Venture was my first planet and over the weekend it was sitting at about 50% liberated. When I logged in last night it was suddenly unavailable for missions and marked as 100% liberated. I feel like the meter telling you how much you contributed to the liberation is probably just a joke by the devs to emphasize how many dead Helldivers it takes to secure a fraction of an inch on a given planet.

And then the map rotation hits and Super Earth declares a planet "liberated". Seems like a funny way to tie in gameplay rotations to the setting.

From my playing over the weekend I'm thinking they just set the database to stop updating liberation progress, in an attempt to prevent more issues during the weekend like they had on Friday when everyone tried to unlock the mech at the same time and the DB had a real sad afternoon, so at least you can get on and play and most likely get your personal rewards at least.

The whole liberation campaign was thrown into a bit of a loop because they ended up with around 100 times their expected player count, and a majority of those players are active in US time zones, so they've had to adjust the numbers a lot to try to compensate around both the huge amount of and fluctuations in active players.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

TLDR its because of FREEDOM

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
ours is not to question, only to dive

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Is the grenade launcher any good on higher difficulties? It's the one calldown weapon besides the break action that I've barely used at all, but I've heard it can be pretty decent at some things. How is it best used?

Arc Hammer posted:

So Angel's Venture was my first planet and over the weekend it was sitting at about 50% liberated. When I logged in last night it was suddenly unavailable for missions and marked as 100% liberated. I feel like the meter telling you how much you contributed to the liberation is probably just a joke by the devs to emphasize how many dead Helldivers it takes to secure a fraction of an inch on a given planet.

And then the map rotation hits and Super Earth declares a planet "liberated". Seems like a funny way to tie in gameplay rotations to the setting.

I'm pretty sure it's real, I've actually been on two separate missions which brought the total up to 100% (probably several other teams who finished at the same time got the same result, but still). I was able to finish the mission series but then the planet closed for missions. Not only that but planets are routinely liberated or defense failed and it seems to correspond quite well to which planets players prefer to do missions on.

The devs have also said it's real, although I'm sure they can and do fudge it plenty depending on what they want to happen and how many people are helping or not.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Third World Reagan posted:

You are getting a drone that has a loud speaker on it, that is it

It will just let you know how great super earth is

Would legit use a stratagem slot for this if that general guy yells out tips from it that everyone is forced to listen to

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Bussamove posted:

So do AC rounds to the face or forelegs do anything at all to chargers? They’re still this weird enigma to me that I’m trying to figure out beyond not just “headshot with EAT”.

Between the armour plate and body there is a leg joint that the AC can hurt but it's a hard shot. You're much more likely to kill it by accidentally abusing the animation vulnerability trying for that shot. As an aside, I've convinced myself that aiming for this joint with the flame thrower is better than aiming direct at the leg plate, they seem to die faster than ever. I've seen people swear up and down AC shots to the lesser armoured back of a legs pops armour and kills it fast, but personally, I've never seen it, or at least when I've seen something like it, the animation bug explained it better, and I'm still waiting for video evidence to prove I'm an idiot. I think the AC would be more used if it was a real, easy shot. I suspect there is a vulnerability just below the mouth underneath but it's an almost impossible shot with the AC, I've just had perfectly cooked grenades exploding in their face sometimes kill way faster than expected, even pre-patch, and shooting a grenade launcher into the ground to bounce up seems to do a lot of damage.

But with the AC you should focus on killing nursery/bile spewers above all, then into hordes or picking out hive guard/brood commanders, it is not an effective use of your time to go after a charger when other stuff can be one/two shotting them. If you have to 1v1 one, kill everything else first, try to put a rock behind you, run at a diagonal towards the charger or perpendicular to it, turn, crouch, aim low and mag dump into its rear end. Try to leave one shot in the gun so it reloads faster. When you've blown out its rear end in a top hat just walk away.

sushibandit posted:

Flamethrower drone and/or flamethrower turret is also acceptable. What I'm trying to say is that there's a criminal freedom-hating lack of ways to apply the cleansing flames of democracy to anything and everything around us, and that's just no good.

I would gladly burn a backpack slot on a boombox that just blasts the SEA on repeat, like the drone on flag-raising missions. Especially if it had an xbox-huge aggro range. Fear not, for the glorious sound of freedom rings loud and true!

There's a leak of an icon for a manned flamethrower turret. It doesn't guarantee one will make it into the game, but they tried something.

Play posted:

Is the grenade launcher any good on higher difficulties? It's the one calldown weapon besides the break action that I've barely used at all, but I've heard it can be pretty decent at some things. How is it best used?

It is amazing at clearing bug holes/fabricators on blitz missions. It is great against nursery/bile spewers. It is pretty good against the strider bots and devastators if you can aim. It is great at clearing hordes or light patrols. I haven't brought it much against high level bots but I imagine it doing ok work against vulnerable spots on the big bot boys. E: GL goes very well with resupply packs so you can spam it without ammo concerns.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 12, 2024

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Play posted:

I think the break action is field-only, you can't call it down.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I think they shouldn't have both made the chargers easy to kill and reduced the number of them at the same time

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Play posted:

It's extremely good, I often run it on 9s.
Vs bugs: it doesn't crack heavy armor, and although it can kill chargers by hitting the underbelly/back it's inconsistent and slow, you shouldn't normally bother. Also not good for bile titans.

But against literally everything else on bug missions, it's amazing. Crushes groups of squishy bugs, blows up nursery/bile spewers very quickly and efficiently(and those enemies make missions way harder when they're in the spawnlist), and it clears bug holes very cheaply and at long range. You can just run a circle around heavy bug nests lobbing grenades into the opposite holes from downtown, making it very fast at clearing maps.
The autocannon also shares many of these traits, but it has a smaller blast radius and requires giving up your backpack slot and can't reload on the run. GL with a shield backpack and a couple of valldowns that can clear heavy armor bugs is probably the single best setup for rambo'ing around the map solo clearing stuff.

Vs bots: not quite as strong but will still do a lot of work. Can wipe most dropship packs before they hit the ground, just gotta be mindful of turrets and tanks when running around the map.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
as far as i can tell the break action exists as a joke to show you how useless the weapons the people inhabiting the planet have access too are

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

quite stretched out posted:

as far as i can tell the break action exists as a joke to show you how useless the weapons the people inhabiting the planet have access too are

Yea it is not good at all

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

flashman posted:

I think they shouldn't have both made the chargers easy to kill and reduced the number of them at the same time

Yeah it's a bit too much of a swing towards easier but I am lovin' the unending swarms. Makes jump packs and flamethrowers way more valuable and rail cannons are relegated to "in case of big bug" status

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

you'd think the grenade launcher would be an anti bug weapon, but its really not. Way too easy to kill yourself against bugs. It is however amazing against bots. There is nothing better for instantly clearing a bot drop or killing a patrol at maximum speed. It can also destroy tanks and cannon turrets with weakpoint shots, and shredder tanks right in the turret. And its great at berserker columns. The only bot unit the GL is bad against is Hulks

My favorite thing to do is to pump grenade shots into the underside of a bot dropship and see bot parts spray everywhere.

It can kill bot fabricators but it takes some practice + a good angle to do so.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 12, 2024

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Eediot Jedi posted:

When you've blown out its rear end in a top hat just walk away.

Blow out the rear end in a top hat, walk away. Blow out the rear end in a top hat, walk away.

Sage advice for a variety of circumstances.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Play posted:

a GL round is an impact grenade with a flatter arc that will ricochet and blow up somewhere else b/c of the minimum arming distance if you try shooting something close enough an impact grenade throw would have reduced you to chunks

if you like impact grenades then congratulations, you get to carry another couple dozen!

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

jokes posted:

Yeah it's a bit too much of a swing towards easier but I am lovin' the unending swarms. Makes jump packs and flamethrowers way more valuable and rail cannons are relegated to "in case of big bug" status

I'm down with more bugs keep the swarms and revert the spawn nerf to the big guns for 9. That will lead to some interesting choices wrt strategem choice that aren't there atm

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

atelier morgan posted:

a GL round is an impact grenade with a flatter arc that will ricochet and blow up somewhere else b/c of the minimum arming distance if you try shooting something close enough an impact grenade throw would have reduced you to chunks

if you like impact grenades then congratulations, you get to carry another couple dozen!

I like impact grenades

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Worf posted:

I like impact grenades

Me too that's all I use since I've unlocked them. Maybe I should give the GL another try, I think I used it like once.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Railguns can also blow a charger's head off with three unsafe shots

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Mortar sentrys are extremely good against bots in all missions, not just eradicate defence. They kill Tanks! They kill everything! It’s a covering fire buddy that doesn’t need line of sight and isn’t exposed to stray rockets.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Darox posted:

Mortar sentrys are extremely good against bots in all missions, not just eradicate defence. They kill Tanks! They kill everything! It’s a covering fire buddy that doesn’t need line of sight and isn’t exposed to stray rockets.

Until you roll the 90% berserkers and jetpack raiders enemy composition.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

LazyMaybe posted:

It's extremely good, I often run it on 9s.
Vs bugs: it doesn't crack heavy armor, and although it can kill chargers by hitting the underbelly/back it's inconsistent and slow, you shouldn't normally bother. Also not good for bile titans.

I actually find it pretty good for neutering them and running off. Though it works best when directly in front of them which isn't a great place to be if you happen to miss.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 13, 2024

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

AcidCat posted:

Me too that's all I use since I've unlocked them. Maybe I should give the GL another try, I think I used it like once.

GL with supply pack is a frankly obscene amount of impact grenades. definitely try it out if you haven't

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

you'd think the grenade launcher would be an anti bug weapon, but its really not. Way too easy to kill yourself against bugs.
no offense meant but this is a skill issue

atelier morgan posted:

Yeah. Impact grenades are very good, and then the GL is like...
Reduce the damage of impact grenades somewhat, but also carry 30 of them at once in your support weapon slot and gain the ability to shoot them like 4x as fast and far.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Didn't you used to be able to kill bile titans with a single well-placed 500kg bomb? Even directly hitting them with the bomb itself doesn't seem to be killing them now.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I like the grenade launcher against bugs because you can reload it while running and the auto cannon against bots because it has better range.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The GL is incredible against bugs because when a patrol aggros you can sweep it across them and wipe them out before the instant reinforcement call.

AC has a bit more utility against bots since it can snipe hulks from the front.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

I like the grenade launcher against bugs because you can reload it while running and the auto cannon against bots because it has better range.

Autocannon is super loving fun against bots, it deletes poo poo.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Comparing the GL to impact grenades is being very generous to the GL, those things bounce if you give them the slightest chance. Even the angle shift of being downhill is enough to let hive commander heads deflect grenades from the GL.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

you'd think the grenade launcher would be an anti bug weapon, but its really not. Way too easy to kill yourself against bugs. It is however amazing against bots. There is nothing better for instantly clearing a bot drop or killing a patrol at maximum speed. It can also destroy tanks and cannon turrets with weakpoint shots, and shredder tanks right in the turret. And its great at berserker columns. The only bot unit the GL is bad against is Hulks

My favorite thing to do is to pump grenade shots into the underside of a bot dropship and see bot parts spray everywhere.

It can kill bot fabricators but it takes some practice + a good angle to do so.

it absolutely is an anti bug weapon. it doesnt arm unless it shoots far enough so if somethings too close it just bounces away. you can take out 2-3 nests depending on size with one mag. it melts the big butt spitter bugs with 2 shots often taking out mutiple of them and easily clears packs of bugs 10 kills per shot.

its ok on bots too. the drop pod clearing is great. scorcher does most of what the GL does against bots though, including taking out canon towers.

Kly fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 13, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Darox posted:

Comparing the GL to impact grenades is being very generous to the GL, those things bounce if you give them the slightest chance. Even the angle shift of being downhill is enough to let hive commander heads deflect grenades from the GL.

If you're close enough to bounce, then bounce before shooting!!

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

We had a bug today where we couldn't get into the shuttle after hitting it with a 500kg and other stuff. Extraction shuttle issues are the top comment on the patch thread on Reddit. People are saying they've seen theirs take damage, smoke and set on fire and bug out.

In our game it was at a funny angle, when we ran out of reinforcements it still took off.

I really hope they don't add mechanics for the shuttle to take damage, it's too much bait for trolls.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

BastardySkull posted:

We had a bug today where we couldn't get into the shuttle after hitting it with a 500kg and other stuff. Extraction shuttle issues are the top comment on the patch thread on Reddit. People are saying they've seen theirs take damage, smoke and set on fire and bug out.

In our game it was at a funny angle, when we ran out of reinforcements it still took off.

I really hope they don't add mechanics for the shuttle to take damage, it's too much bait for trolls.

its been like that before todays patch too. i blasted our pelican with mech rockets and no one could get in after. another time some one dropped 380s right on the evac and the same thing happened. seems if you set it on fire it wont take off.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Darox posted:

In my experience this only happens if they're too close to you.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

yeah and like the other guy mentioned if you want to risk it you bounce it off the ground first into the the bug/chainsawbot

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Triarii posted:

Didn't you used to be able to kill bile titans with a single well-placed 500kg bomb? Even directly hitting them with the bomb itself doesn't seem to be killing them now.

I am unsure of any changes to bile titans but I think Eagle 500 has always been a mysterious result for seemingly no reason. Everything is subjective though so there is no way to know unless the devs released actual data. The way they bounce between lovely and amazing makes me think they have some kind of projectile stats or ability to do critical hits.

I'm not particularly good with them or an expert, I just have a large amount of attempts and the results were, randomly and not related to the health of the titan...

- Relatively undamaged Bile titan's head explodes from the bomb coming in or it hits an Evangelion AT field and the bomb and explosion both do nothing
- Have the titan walk directly over the bomb as it explodes which might not kill it but might kill it and one a fair distance away (???)
- Near-Miss a titan which will either do zero damage or a shitload but rarely kill, unless 3 titans fall down dead like an anime samurai hit them somehow (???)
- Be more than 20 feet away from a direct hit and do zero damage period

I haven't played since they nerfed the bugs but I assume I'd drop it from now on for the mech or something if the map composition is more medium.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

BitBasher posted:

If memory serves the video shows the second RR shot killing the charger, not the first.

I think you’re right and I misremembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm only on 4 difficulty but the GL is amazing for whenever those fat spitting glob bugs show up. Two shots kills them so you can so easily clear the field of them.