Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mediaphage posted:

they do make antiglare screen protectors but i'd be a little suss as to how good they are. if i were you and you honestly would prefer the mac if it fit your needs, i'd just ask and see if there's a way you can try it. if they say no you can just stick to getting the lenovo like you said.

edit: i'm also assuming your work probably won't let you expense an external display hey

I have two Dell Ultrasharp 4k monitors for home, that's not the issue. I'm only at my desk for 2/3 of the time, the rest of the time I need to be able to use my laptop as a laptop.

I'm remote as well which makes trying them out a general hassle, I can't just walk to the IT desk and swap it out. I've been using Windows on a Lenovo for 6.5 years now, I'll just keep plodding along. The M1/2/3 chip macs are the first time where there was a HUGE difference in performance/batterylife/size where you basically got to "pick all 3 thermodynamics need not apply lol" in a similarly priced laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I started a new job and they hooked me up with a 2022 Mac Studio that has an M1 Ultra. My boss said to let him know what displays I want to use with it, as the ones I have right now are just temporary. Budget isn't really a concern, he just said long as they're not like $800 for each monitor it's fine, lol. Does the M1 Ultra Mac Studio support 4K 144+ Hz displays? I'd only need 2. Reading the spec sheet, I don't think it can do 4K 144+ Hz over HDMI, but would it be possible over the Type-C/Thunderbolt ports? If so, any recommendations? I'll be doing some creative work inside Photoshop/Illustrator and some video editing eventually, so decent color accuracy out the box without having to calibrate much would be nice.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 9, 2024

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

H110Hawk posted:

I have two Dell Ultrasharp 4k monitors for home, that's not the issue. I'm only at my desk for 2/3 of the time, the rest of the time I need to be able to use my laptop as a laptop.

I'm remote as well which makes trying them out a general hassle, I can't just walk to the IT desk and swap it out. I've been using Windows on a Lenovo for 6.5 years now, I'll just keep plodding along. The M1/2/3 chip macs are the first time where there was a HUGE difference in performance/batterylife/size where you basically got to "pick all 3 thermodynamics need not apply lol" in a similarly priced laptop.
Have you got an Apple Store near you? If so it’s probably worth popping in and taking a look at them in person.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

teagone posted:

I started a new job and they hooked me up with a 2022 Mac Studio that has an M1 Ultra. My boss said to let him know what displays I want to use with it, as the ones I have right now are just temporary. Budget isn't really a concern, he just said long as they're not like $800 for each monitor it's fine, lol. Does the M1 Ultra Mac Studio support 4K 144+ Hz displays? I'd only need 2. Reading the spec sheet, I don't think it can do 4K 144+ Hz over HDMI, but would it be possible over the Type-C/Thunderbolt ports? If so, any recommendations? I'll be doing some creative work inside Photoshop/Illustrator and some video editing eventually, so decent color accuracy out the box without having to calibrate much would be nice.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP865?locale=en_US
Video Support
Simultaneously supports up to five displays:

Support for up to four Pro Display XDRs (6K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colors) over USB-C and one 4K display (4K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colors) over HDMI

Thunderbolt 4 digital video output supports

Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
Thunderbolt 2, DVI, and VGA output supported using adapters (sold separately)

HDMI display video output

Support for one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz
DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

According to folks on reddit 4K at up to 240Hz works over the thunderbolt/usb-c to displayport cables. HDMI is fixed to 4K 60Hz though.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 10, 2024

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP865?locale=en_US
Video Support
Simultaneously supports up to five displays:

Support for up to four Pro Display XDRs (6K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colors) over USB-C and one 4K display (4K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colors) over HDMI

Thunderbolt 4 digital video output supports

Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
Thunderbolt 2, DVI, and VGA output supported using adapters (sold separately)

HDMI display video output

Support for one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz
DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

Oh yeah I read that, which is how I figured the HDMI port wasn't cable of supporting anything more than 4K60Hz. I was wondering if anyone ITT has experience using 4K144+ Hz displays with an M1 Ultra Studio. Found this reddit thread though that suggests USB-C/Thunderbolt to displayport can do 144Hz. https://www.reddit.com/r/MacStudio/comments/tibtqu/mac_studio_4k_144hz_support/

[edit] Ahh, haha. Just saw your edit as I posted :3:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I don't have any personal experience with the system, just what I can find online. $4000 base configuration is very much out of my affordability range, and even then I'd never actually be able to put it to good use.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

I don't have any personal experience with the system, just what I can find online. $4000 base configuration is very much out of my affordability range, and even then I'd never actually be able to put it to good use.

They originally were having their Blender/3D render guy use the Mac Studio, but it was too slow for him so they got a PC with a 4090 instead. They didn't have a proper IT guy to tell them Macs aren't super great for Blender I guess, lol. The Mac studio remained unused for a few months until they hired me so now it's mine, heh.

[edit] They also upped the Studio's RAM to 128GB. I've never used a computer this hilariously equipped before.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 10, 2024

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

teagone posted:

144 Hz is often a warning signal for "this is gamertrash". For photoshop/illustrator/other creative media apps, I'd look for something a little more optimized for color accuracy and gamut and viewing angles rather than ultra-high refresh rate.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BobHoward posted:

144 Hz is often a warning signal for "this is gamertrash". For photoshop/illustrator/other creative media apps, I'd look for something a little more optimized for color accuracy and gamut and viewing angles rather than ultra-high refresh rate.

Yeah that's what I normally look for, but since my boss was like "less than $800 per display is fine" I was like, hmm, what are my high end options other than a solid 60Hz 4K display with great color accuracy? Lol.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Kind of funny that they would buy a mac studio but then penny pinch on the displays, but i guess that's the way it is. Probably your best bang-for-buck if you're doing things that need color calibration would be the ASUS ProArt Creator monitors. They're 4K 60Hz, but they should get the job done, and Newegg has them on a slight discount.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-pa279crv-27-uhd/p/N82E16824281253

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

Kind of funny that they would buy a mac studio but then penny pinch on the displays, but i guess that's the way it is.

The monitors I'm using with the Studio atm were originally being used by one of their customer service reps, they're just like these regular rear end 1080p office displays lol. Pretty sure the Blender/3D render guy has some 32" 4K Dell Ultrasharp panels that he was originally using with the Studio that he's now using with the 4090 equipped PC.

quote:

Probably your best bang-for-buck if you're doing things that need color calibration would be the ASUS ProArt Creator monitors. They're 4K 60Hz, but they should get the job done, and Newegg has them on a slight discount.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-pa279crv-27-uhd/p/N82E16824281253

Thanks! That specific model was on my potential list, along with the Dell S2722QC (which doesn't have great out the box calibration, but I could always do that myself I guess). Those are the two I'm considering atm, but figured there could also be a comparable high refresh rate display to those. Cursory searches doesn't seem to suggest as such though.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 10, 2024

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-27-4k-usb-c-hub-monitor-u2723qe/apd/210-bdpf/monitors-monitor-accessories

How are ultrasharps at color? They claim to have decent calibration out of the box, and come with sheets detailing it. I've always been super happy with them, but I'm not a video/photo pro. I'm genuinely curious. They're super reasonably priced for what you get as a non-pro. I've been using various editions of these for nearly 20 years and have a always been happy.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

teagone posted:

I've had my M1 Max Studio hooked up to both 27" and 32" 4K displays that are running anywhere from 144 Hz (LG 27GR95UM) to 240 Hz (Alienware AW3225QF) and have not had any issues with running them.

If it were an M2 Max/Ultra-based Studio, it could do 4K 144 Hz over HDMI, but not the 2022 M1 Max/Ultra-based Studios.

BobHoward posted:

I think this is a bit of an outdated view. Say 3-5 years ago? Sure. But there are plenty of high-refresh displays with good color accuracy that happen to also be intended for gaming or at least list it as an additional benefit/feature, and are not "gamertrash". Which isn't to say that there aren't still monitors that meet that definition, but they tend to reside more in the 1440p space these days, and are usually in the $200-$400 price range, with some exceptions.

Even Dell is pushing into the > 60 Hz area with their recent Ultrasharps, and ASUS' ProArt models take on a very normal/professional-looking appearance, and yet have 144 Hz options that also mention FreeSync/etc. and being used for gaming.

Edit:

teagone posted:

Thanks! That specific model was on my potential list, along with the Dell S2722QC (which doesn't have great out the box calibration, but I could always do that myself I guess). Those are the two I'm considering atm, but figured there could also be a comparable high refresh rate display to those. Cursory searches doesn't seem to suggest as such though.

I'd recommend hitting up displayninja.com and looking at their monitor lists; you can narrow down searches by quite a few options, including 4K monitors by panel type (IPS, OLED, VA, etc.), refresh rates, brand, etc. The nice thing about their lists is that they'll usually have links by your region, which is a easy first glance at whether it's available regionally or not, and it also shows model numbers with brand, so for example, ASUS usually has "PA" at the start of their models to represent ProArt, so you know which of the options listed are going to have more of a subdued look.

But having been using both professional-looking (such as Dell Ultrasharp and LG Ultrafine, for example) and apparently "gamertrash" monitors, such as LG's Ultragear and Dell's Alienware line, I'd argue that the build quality these days tends to be about equal, and in reality, as price goes up, so does the build quality for both, more-so on the gaming side than even the professional-series side.

Anyway, just my $0.02.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 10, 2024

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Canned Sunshine posted:

I've had my M1 Max Studio hooked up to both 27" and 32" 4K displays that are running anywhere from 144 Hz (LG 27GR95UM) to 240 Hz (Alienware AW3225QF) and have not had any issues with running them.

I'd recommend hitting up displayninja.com and looking at their monitor lists; you can narrow down searches by quite a few options, including 4K monitors by panel type (IPS, OLED, VA, etc.), refresh rates, brand, etc. The nice thing about their lists is that they'll usually have links by your region, which is a easy first glance at whether it's available regionally or not, and it also shows model numbers with brand, so for example, ASUS usually has "PA" at the start of their models to represent ProArt, so you know which of the options listed are going to have more of a subdued look.

But having been using both professional-looking (such as Dell Ultrasharp and LG Ultrafine, for example) and apparently "gamertrash" monitors, such as LG's Ultragear and Dell's Alienware line, I'd argue that the build quality these days tends to be about equal, and in reality, as price goes up, so does the build quality for both, more-so on the gaming side than even the professional-series side.

Anyway, just my $0.02.

Thanks so much for all the info! Perusing displayninja, it seems like 4K high refresh displays that don't have the gamer aesthetic are a fair bit over the ~$800 per display budget, lmao. Guess I should have figured as much. Great resource though, thanks again -- maybe I'll find a good one at a reasonable price.

[edit] Oh the Dell G3223Q looks nice. [edit 2] Oh that was the display that was mentioned in the reddit thread I found, lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 10, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

teagone posted:

Thanks so much for all the info! Perusing displayninja, it seems like 4K high refresh displays that don't have the gamer aesthetic are a fair bit over the ~$800 per display budget, lmao. Guess I should have figured as much. Great resource though, thanks again -- maybe I'll find a good one at a reasonable price.

[edit] Oh the Dell G3223Q looks nice. [edit 2] Oh that was the display that was mentioned in the reddit thread I found, lol.

The Dell G3223Q is pretty well universally regarded given its price point; honestly I almost picked one up to use in lieu of the AW3225QF I picked up, and I've been tempted still to just return the AW3225QF and go with the G3223Q for now given my burn-in paranoia (and because of the continued shipping damage issues I'm having with the AW3225QF).

Another benefit of the G3223Q is that it doesn't really have a gamer aesthetic and it's name is generic enough that you could order it without arising suspicion.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

I think this is a bit of an outdated view. Say 3-5 years ago? Sure. But there are plenty of high-refresh displays with good color accuracy that happen to also be intended for gaming or at least list it as an additional benefit/feature, and are not "gamertrash". Which isn't to say that there aren't still monitors that meet that definition, but they tend to reside more in the 1440p space these days, and are usually in the $200-$400 price range, with some exceptions.

Nice if I'm out of date on that, used to be that if you wanted a 144hz monitor you were doomed to horrible color.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Canned Sunshine posted:

The Dell G3223Q is pretty well universally regarded given its price point; honestly I almost picked one up to use in lieu of the AW3225QF I picked up, and I've been tempted still to just return the AW3225QF and go with the G3223Q for now given my burn-in paranoia (and because of the continued shipping damage issues I'm having with the AW3225QF).

Another benefit of the G3223Q is that it doesn't really have a gamer aesthetic and it's name is generic enough that you could order it without arising suspicion.

The G3223Q is what I have my Mac Studio hooked up to and it’s a great monitor. Good color, fast refresh, quiet aesthetic. I recommend it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

smr posted:

The G3223Q is what I have my Mac Studio hooked up to and it’s a great monitor. Good color, fast refresh, quiet aesthetic. I recommend it.

Can I ask which cable you're using to get 4K 144Hz? Pretty sure the G3223Q is the panel I'll go with for my main display, and was looking at getting this USB-C to DP cable https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-USB-C-Supporting/dp/B01J6DT070?th=1

smr
Dec 18, 2002

teagone posted:

Can I ask which cable you're using to get 4K 144Hz? Pretty sure the G3223Q is the panel I'll go with for my main display, and was looking at getting this USB-C to DP cable https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-USB-C-Supporting/dp/B01J6DT070?th=1

That is the exact cable I’m using.

I’ve had to reset the cable once when I wasn’t getting 144hz but only once. It’s been fine otherwise.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

smr posted:

I’ve had to reset the cable once when I wasn’t getting 144hz but only once. It’s been fine otherwise.

What do you mean by "reset the cable"? Just detach it from both ends or?

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

I’m behind the times, I guess. Why do Mac studios come with a HDMI jack when it can’t push high refresh rates over it?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It can.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

The M1-based Studios came with a HDMI 2.0 port, so they could handle 4K 60hz or high-refresh 1440p just fine, but not high-refresh 4K. The M2-based Studios and future iterations have at least an HDMI 2.1 port, so high-refresh 4K is now an option also.

Separately, they can all do high-refresh 4K via the Thunderbolt ports using an appropriate cable/adapter to DisplayPort. I think they’re still limited though when doing Thunderbolt-to-HDMI.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Obviously there's a war raging on the internets about whether or not 8GB of RAM in the base level M3 MacBook Air is "enough." The consensus seems to be "yeah it's enough if all you do is everyday browsing and YouTube and document editing."

However - I remember hearing that same argument when I bought my MacBook Air 1.6gHz i5 in 2018. And it WAS enough for a while, but now 6 years later this machine is slow as poo poo to do most tasks - wake up from sleep, change user, launch Safari or any apps, etc. I even tried a fresh OS install and it's still slow.

If I want a "general use" machine that's going to be smoothly usable for a decade - will doing the upgrade to 24GB of memory help achieve that? Or is that just throwing money away and I'm being a little naive to think that a laptop in this day and age should work smoothly for a decade. If it'll help me squeeze a few extra years of use out of the machine, an extra $400 isn't really that much to spend.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

OldSenileGuy posted:

If I want a "general use" machine that's going to be smoothly usable for a decade - will doing the upgrade to 24GB of memory help achieve that? Or is that just throwing money away and I'm being a little naive to think that a laptop in this day and age should work smoothly for a decade. If it'll help me squeeze a few extra years of use out of the machine, an extra $400 isn't really that much to spend.

That can only help. At work we used a lot of data to support a move to a 5-year lifecycle on laptops and we're sticking with 16GB as a baseline. Our usual workload for those machines is dozens and dozens of Chrome tabs including lots of Google Apps docs, and 1080 video calls.

Always buy as much machine as you can afford.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Obviously there's a war raging on the internets about whether or not 8GB of RAM in the base level M3 MacBook Air is "enough." The consensus seems to be "yeah it's enough if all you do is everyday browsing and YouTube and document editing."

However - I remember hearing that same argument when I bought my MacBook Air 1.6gHz i5 in 2018. And it WAS enough for a while, but now 6 years later this machine is slow as poo poo to do most tasks - wake up from sleep, change user, launch Safari or any apps, etc. I even tried a fresh OS install and it's still slow.

RAM in Apple Silicon Macs is not exactly analogous to RAM in a PC laptop or PC desktop, but not so different as Apple's marketing guy says ("8GB on Mac is like 16GB on PC"). Without rehashing the last few pages, I'd say that if you intend to keep a machine for about a decade then it makes sense to spend some extra money now to increase the specification and avoid having to buy a new machine in half the time. 8GB is "fine," but if you plan to do literally anything beyond watching youtube and looking at twitter or whatever, you're going to want the extra RAM. I haven't watched enough of this guy's stuff to know how full of poo poo he is or isn't, but he talks about video editing on an M3 iMac with 8GB of RAM, and maybe it'll give you an idea of whether it works for you or not. Note that an iMac has active cooling in it though, so the chip in the Air will reach its thermal limit sooner and throttle since it's passively cooled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bPPjAdJr_o

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Branch Nvidian posted:

RAM in Apple Silicon Macs is not exactly analogous to RAM in a PC laptop or PC desktop, but not so different as Apple's marketing guy says ("8GB on Mac is like 16GB on PC"). Without rehashing the last few pages, I'd say that if you intend to keep a machine for about a decade then it makes sense to spend some extra money now to increase the specification and avoid having to buy a new machine in half the time. 8GB is "fine," but if you plan to do literally anything beyond watching youtube and looking at twitter or whatever, you're going to want the extra RAM. I haven't watched enough of this guy's stuff to know how full of poo poo he is or isn't, but he talks about video editing on an M3 iMac with 8GB of RAM, and maybe it'll give you an idea of whether it works for you or not. Note that an iMac has active cooling in it though, so the chip in the Air will reach its thermal limit sooner and throttle since it's passively cooled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bPPjAdJr_o

Every single refresh makes 8GB even less defensible. I advocated for the 8GB M1 Air base config, but I would not buy an M3 air 3.5 years later with that configuration. It really is a sick joke at this point, and sure you might be able to barely tiptoe by with 8GB at this instant, but the coming years will not be kind.

Anybody buying an M3 should be getting 16GB, and if your budget doesn't stretch there you should be getting used / refurb M1 or M2.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Every single refresh makes 8GB even less defensible. I advocated for the 8GB M1 Air base config, but I would not buy an M3 air 3.5 years later with that configuration. It really is a sick joke at this point, and sure you might be able to barely tiptoe by with 8GB at this instant, but the coming years will not be kind.

Anybody buying an M3 should be getting 16GB, and if your budget doesn't stretch there you should be getting used / refurb M1 or M2.

Honestly agreed. It does feel like the 8GB models are still there so Apple can claim a lower "starting at" price even though they really should just start at the 16GB models, even if that means the base prices of everything goes up by $200 (which it shouldn't because an extra 8GB of RAM doesn't cost that much even if it's unified).

There is also the option of a refurbished M2 Pro Macbook Pro for $1600, which is $100 more than a 13" M3 Air w/ 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage, or $100 less than a 15" M3 MacBook Air specced to 16GB of RAM and 512GB of storage.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...-gpu-space-gray

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Bob Howard wrote a good summary on the whole “How RAM is handled on Apple’s SoCs” sometime back, probably 2+ years now, that I’ll try to find when I can, but in general, I think the whole thought process of RAM being used differently in Apple Silicon is a bit of an overstatement/simplification if I remember correctly.

Basically, and I’m probably misremembering and the following is all bunk, but I think a part of it comes from the fact that macOS will much more aggressively swap to the SSD if memory pressure is high or no spare memory is available, but this still comes with a performance hit, although I think macOS is much more well optimized for minimizing this for most day-to-day activities (browsing, email, office suites, etc.) that it won’t be noticeable. Where it’d hurt a lot I assume is someone that is actually using some more significant productivity applications, etc.

So if anything, if someone is looking at 8/256 on a system, and their workflow/use case isn’t too demanding, I would still probably recommend 16/512 as a baseline, but if they could only pick one of the two, maybe a larger SSD over more ram?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The only real push back I'd give about going with SSD over RAM is that you can always add a physically small external SSD of whatever capacity you want, while you can't expand the RAM in any way.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The memory bandwidth is great, and the speed of swap to the internal SSD is faster than ever, so swapping between tasks when you don't have enough memory to keep everything needed for all tasks in RAM is much less of an issue than it was back when people had swap on spinny disks or even early SSDs. However, if you have a workload that needs more memory than you have, there's nothing magical about Apple's architecture that will save you from a bad time.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

jaete posted:

What do you mean by "reset the cable"? Just detach it from both ends or?

Precisely that. Specifically, detaching just the full-width DP end from the monitor. Not sure what goes wrong that allows it to work perfectly at 60hz but not 144hz without doing that but again, only happened once so far, and I’ve been using this setup daily for a few months now.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

smr posted:

Precisely that. Specifically, detaching just the full-width DP end from the monitor. Not sure what goes wrong that allows it to work perfectly at 60hz but not 144hz without doing that but again, only happened once so far, and I’ve been using this setup daily for a few months now.
FWIW I also have to do this on my PC that I have hooked up to an LG OLED from time to time and I assume it's something weird with the handshake. Ironically my Mac Studio has actually been more reliable at maintaining 3 high refresh monitors (1 at 1440p@120 on HDMI and 2 at 1440p@144Hz on USB-C to DisplayPort) than my PC.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

any thoughts on the 15" MBA M3 versus the 14" MBP for light remote dev and zooming?
i have a 13" M1 MBA which is getting a bit crammed both display-wise and storage-wise (256GB).

i'll pop by an apple store but was curious whether people had thoughts about the portability of the 14"/15". i looked at the 14" MBP when i picked up my 13" MBA and the former felt too bulky at the time (not screen size but being fat).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Doesn't the new MBA have the design of the current Pros now? The wedge part is gone. Should be all the same nowadays.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Skeezy posted:

Doesn't the new MBA have the design of the current Pros now? The wedge part is gone. Should be all the same nowadays.

The wedge design may be gone, but the MBA's still a lot thinner than Pros. Lighter, too.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
M3 air not coming till the 26. Ask customer service to hurry up and they said it’s a “ custom order. Bro, I copped the dang thing by pressing button on your website. It’s not exactly bespoke

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Maudib Arakkis posted:

M3 air not coming till the 26. Ask customer service to hurry up and they said it’s a “ custom order. Bro, I copped the dang thing by pressing button on your website. It’s not exactly bespoke

If you changed the amount of storage or Ram from the default then yeah; it's a custom order. Gotta solder that poo poo in.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

If you changed the amount of storage or Ram from the default then yeah; it's a custom order. Gotta solder that poo poo in.

I ordered a Mac 15,8 and got a "custom order" sheet with a complete shipping paper trail from China, they're pretty comprehensive about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
$400 is 30% of the cost of an MBA. Why spend that now when you could use the 8 gb machine for a couple years, trade it in, and use the trade in + $400 to be 90% of the way to a brand new M5 with 16 gb ram standard