Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Kwyndig posted:

People are already trying AI pop stars with very little success. The fact that nobody in this thread seems to be aware of this is reason enough to doubt they'll have any traction in the next decade or so.

The only ones I've seen have been by fly-by-night grifters, not major labels putting the same level of effort behind them as a new pop star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Things are moving fast! The quality of AI images has been pretty frightening to watch. I don't know if it will be so obvious when/how major stars are leveraging A.I. unless there are whistleblowers.

There was that AI Drake song or whoever that was shockingly convincing and just made by a dude. So who knows.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

The Dave posted:

Things are moving fast! The quality of AI images has been pretty frightening to watch. I don't know if it will be so obvious when/how major stars are leveraging A.I. unless there are whistleblowers.

There was that AI Drake song or whoever that was shockingly convincing and just made by a dude. So who knows.

The label of Milli Vanilli was successfully sued over their deception. I don't see why it would play out different legally if it was an AI instead of hidden singers.

Labels can and will dable with this technology but they are going to have to be upfront about it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mega Comrade posted:

The label of Milli Vanilli was successfully sued over their deception. I don't see why it would play out different legally if it was an AI instead of hidden singers.

Labels can and will dable with this technology but they are going to have to be upfront about it.

I'm never one to side with record labels or execs, but that part of the milli-vanilli scandal always confused me. Yes they weren't singing, but what actual claim to "damages" is that? I'd say false advertising fits but that's not what the suits went with.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

They had to pay fines for consumer fraud I know that. For the class actions I'm not quite sure what succeeded and what didn't, they definitely lost one and lots of others for folded into it. There were dozens though and no articles go into much depth.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

They had to pay fines for consumer fraud I know that. For the class actions I'm not quite sure what succeeded and what didn't, they definitely lost one and lots of others for folded into it. There were dozens though and no articles go into much depth.

Yeah Wikipedia only mentions one settlement for refunds in Ohio and Indiana only if you bought an album and went to a concert.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-03-25-fi-4362-story.html

This one is about Chicago that was also successful. But doesn't seem to be on the Wikipedia page. But again doesn't specify exactly in what grounds they won.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 12, 2024

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

SCheeseman posted:

Whether fans would accept an AI-driven popstar? I don't know, but as angry as the backlash is against all this stuff, it doesn't seem to stop the popularity of things like AI chatbots. A lot of people seem to seek out parasocial relationships (absent something better to describe them as) with those.

Gonna need you to give some specifics for the 'Lot' of people forming relationships with AIs.

I think the number of people even downloading those are very small. And I would suspect (but I admit I can't back this up) that most aren't actually forming relationships so much as checking some new thing out.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

SporkChan posted:

Gonna need you to give some specifics for the 'Lot' of people forming relationships with AIs.

I think the number of people even downloading those are very small. And I would suspect (but I admit I can't back this up) that most aren't actually forming relationships so much as checking some new thing out.

You don't have to download anything, there's websites hosting chatbot frontends that either host their own models or integrate with third party APIs.

I don't have numbers but it seems fairly popular last I browsed the communities, though predictably it's mostly people trying to get their rocks off.

e: These are just basic visitor stats that don't indicate engagement, but Similarweb shows character.ai which as far as I can tell the most popular chatbot service, as globally ranking #154 with ~178m visits a month. Admittedly it's hard to trust any data that pops up on a Google search these days, but anecdotally I personally know someone who is addicted to using a chatbot, literally forming a relationship with it (they talk to their therapist about it). Given that and having talked to them about why, I'm a bit more inclined to believe that forming bonds with AI bots is going to be a... problem.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 12, 2024

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

That can happen, but my point is more: why? Justin Bieber gets a lot of money, for sure, but the money he gets is pocket change compared to the money he makes for the industry. And than theres the fact he is a person of flesh and bones and can perform live and make millions for the industry from that too.

And thats a big huge pop star, most artists in the music industry get paid with pennies

edit: the kind music I see being taken by AI is stuff like soundtracks for commercials, small budget games, background music for internet videos etc

Sure, big personalities will still rule (until AI personalities) but, yeah be fearful if you are a working musician.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1767241511522193766
https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1767245911829500341
https://www.wsj.com/business/hospitality/surge-pricing-is-coming-to-more-menus-near-you-66a245f3

quote:

If you are hungry for barbecue on a Saturday night this month, a delivery of a pulled-pork sandwich from Cali BBQ could cost you around $18. Or you could hold off a few days and order the same sandwich delivered on a weekday afternoon for around $12. Restaurants like San Diego-based Cali BBQ are experimenting with a form of the dynamic pricing long used by airlines, hotels and ride-hailing services. Technology providers are pitching services that enable restaurants to change prices weekly or monthly, increasing or slashing the cost of a taco or sandwich between a few quarters to several dollars, depending on demand and sales patterns.
Drew Patterson, co-founder of restaurant dynamic pricing provider Juicer, said restaurants need to reference “happy hour” and other known promotions when explaining variable pricing to customers.
Dozens of restaurant brands use Juicer’s technology to change their prices based on demand trends, with an average swing of up to 15%, Patterson said. Delivery services such as Uber Eats and technology platforms like Tock also allow restaurants to bump prices up or down.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Elias_Maluco posted:

Even if they can make a virtual Justin Bieber, they will hardly profit much more

And that is the point where they stop listening and start daydreaming of giant sacks of cash with "$$$" signs printed on them

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ok, then what's stopping them from using LLM to create music and performances and then paying someone to "be" that performer? Isn't this essentially what the boy/girl bands in kpop are? I've read articles about how they're all fake and that every band has people playing the same persona/trope to sell to an audience.

If they fire all their songwriters and choreographers to replace them with LLMs, then the people writing the prompts and judging the output are going to be business people, who are not nearly as good at songwriting or choreography as they think they are. The performances will end up either written-by-committee or foisted off on some intern with a MBA.

That's an often underappreciated aspect of the LLM boom. It's not just about money, it's about control. Instead of the bosses having to give direction to an artist and then negotiate what they want, the boss runs the art themselves and they can just play with the prompts all they want, without the artist ever getting annoyed with them or telling them an idea is dumb or getting tired of being micromanaged all day or anything like that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BRB, booking ten tables at my favourite restaurant so I can cancel nine of them before I show up to enjoy a heavily discounted meal

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

TACD posted:

BRB, booking ten tables at my favourite restaurant so I can cancel nine of them before I show up to enjoy a heavily discounted meal

This is... a disturbingly good idea.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

If they fire all their songwriters and choreographers to replace them with LLMs, then the people writing the prompts and judging the output are going to be business people, who are not nearly as good at songwriting or choreography as they think they are. The performances will end up either written-by-committee or foisted off on some intern with a MBA.

That's an often underappreciated aspect of the LLM boom. It's not just about money, it's about control. Instead of the bosses having to give direction to an artist and then negotiate what they want, the boss runs the art themselves and they can just play with the prompts all they want, without the artist ever getting annoyed with them or telling them an idea is dumb or getting tired of being micromanaged all day or anything like that.

The important point in this though, that people really really fail to give enough attention to, is that those same business types have nothing but contempt and derision towards the very customers they sell to. People think "well I can vote with my wallet so companies at some level have to appeal to me and what I want!" when really, no. They loving hate customers more than they hate their own workers. MBAs and Exec types don't want "customers", they want a captive entity that simply buys whatever they put out. Anything. With no reservations or judgements about quality, price, ethics, etc.

"They'll buy this garbage because we tell them to" is the fundamental ethos in late stage capitalism and it's part of why becoming a monopoly is so appealing to companies. I don't think they're exactly wrong in thinking that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Restaurants have done surge pricing for decades, it's called "happy hour".

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Restaurants have done surge pricing for decades, it's called "happy hour".

This is the inverse of that though. Happy hour is deals and discounts during a busy time when most people are finally off work and have money and time to spend. This is charging more when they're busy, again, when people have money and time to spend. You can see how people might feel different about this than Happy Hour.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Main Paineframe posted:

I think the appeal of the big names in music like Taylor Swift is as much about the persona and what they represent as the music which is why it's always headline news whenever they do anything. I don't think there's a substitute for that. LLMs by their nature also won't be able to come up with entirely new genres or styles.

It can probably produce a lot of generic and dated stuff though but there's already thousands of noname garage bands doing that. You're not going to make any money with that.

If the corporates can market LLM productions they will try and perhaps there will be some market for I but I really don't see it pushing artists off the billboards.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Crain posted:

This is the inverse of that though. Happy hour is deals and discounts during a busy time when most people are finally off work and have money and time to spend. This is charging more when they're busy, again, when people have money and time to spend. You can see how people might feel different about this than Happy Hour.

This assumes that default behavior for most people right after work is to spend time buying food/booze. That is, is happy hour busy because people want to spend, or is happy hour busy because of rudimentary surge pricing that attracts people to happy hour?

I also see a lot of happy hours going from 3-5 which is typically a dead time for restaurants as it's well past lunch but too early for dinner.

A Brewery near me used to have "tight wad Tuesday" discounts because Tuesday is normally a slow night. If you went there on Tuesday, though, you wouldn't think it was a slow night because it was pretty packed.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zachack posted:

I also see a lot of happy hours going from 3-5 which is typically a dead time for restaurants as it's well past lunch but too early for dinner.

A Brewery near me used to have "tight wad Tuesday" discounts because Tuesday is normally a slow night. If you went there on Tuesday, though, you wouldn't think it was a slow night because it was pretty packed.

I was going to point this out too. Happy hour is there so that no one sees a bar with no one in it and decides "eh, maybe not this one." They're trading reduced profit at happy hour for an even greater one later on, when people are mainly there.

Happy hour also generally has fixed times. "Live" pricing doesn't.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
can't afford a big mac because a little league team just went through the McDonald's drive through and spiked the prices for the next hour

edit: future job perk of lower wages but your time off is between surge times for maximum savings

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Zachack posted:

This assumes that default behavior for most people right after work is to spend time buying food/booze. That is, is happy hour busy because people want to spend, or is happy hour busy because of rudimentary surge pricing that attracts people to happy hour?

Yeah, that's fair, but I'd say it's both. It's trying to attract customers with a discount for any number of reasons, be that drinks, cheaper food, or a limited menu at cheaper prices.

But again, these are set prices at set times that you can plan around and more importantly, it's still a discount, not an increase in price. Also "Happy Hour" has become so ingrained in society and established that it's ubiquitous to people now. It's kinda weird to see places that DONT do a happy hour sometime around 3-7pm. Even fast food places do "happy hours".

People don't have a problem with "sometimes prices are different" or "sometimes prices are different for different systems". Like if you go someplace that does Prix Fixe menus, generally the overall cost of those courses will be cheaper than ordering individually. You're just trading a slightly limited set of choices for a discount.

People are not cool with rolling in to a fast food place and seeing the prices 15% higher because, as Hate Ball said, some big party just rolled through and now a big mac is $30.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Of course employees will receive higher wages during surge hours as well, right?

Right?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

has anybody said 'Unhappy Hour' yet

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
we call it the 'sadness surge'

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Then you hire back all the song writers you fired as prompt writers and judges of music but you pay them way less.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I hope people realize that if/when this becomes accepted and normal that grocery stores are not going to be too far behind unless there are anti-gouging laws in place to prevent it like with gas stations before/during disasters (not that gas stations don't do it anyways and try to get away with it).

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Happy hours aren't surge pricing. Just because a discount is time dependent doesn't make it surge pricing, if you miss out on the discount you just pay regular price, not a premium.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cactrot posted:

Happy hours aren't surge pricing. Just because a discount is time dependent doesn't make it surge pricing, if you miss out on the discount you just pay regular price, not a premium.

it's 5pm. should you go to the restaurant that offers 25% off your meal at 5-6pm, or the restaurant that upcharges people 33% at 6-10?

or: should i shop at the store that charges me a 2% fee for using my credit card, or the one that says that there is a 2% cash discount, also all the posted prices reflect the 2% cash discount

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They’re two sides of the same coin. The difference is happy hours means you pay more most of the time, whereas surge pricing means you pay more some of the time. It’s purely marketing that you think there’s some fundamental difference.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Living up to your username I see

e: like, algorithmically increasing prices as the restaurant gets busier is not only different in fact, it also has an entirely different psychological effect. Surge pricing as described would in fact result in happy hours becoming more expensive as more people pile in.

They are different things no matter how much you insist they aren't

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 12, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

can't afford a big mac because a little league team just went through the McDonald's drive through and spiked the prices for the next hour

Fuckin hell I can't afford one now.

Since were talkin "tech", my rice cooker, air fryer and slow cooker are all game changers for me and I can't remember the last time I ate out besides ordering a pizza or some chinese food. I've learned to save a ton of money on food (out of necessity) just making easy meals with those and also by packing my own lunches.

The lunches kinda suck and are pretty boring but, wellm hey.

And I'm not trying to come off as like "just eliminate the Starbucks and become wealthy" guy either. I've legit had to straighten up my food budget and got all those appliances at Goodwill and such.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I'm just gonna quote This substack on the information cost of ordering a wendys because its smarter than I am.

quote:

hayek's hamburger hell

sir, this is a wendy’s

DAN DAVIES

6 MAR 2024

The other week there was a lovely opportunity to observe the way in which economists inhabit a mental reality which is quite adjacent to, but often very different from, the economy.  An American hamburger chain announced (and then immediately rolled back when people yelled at it) that it was planning to use Artificial Intelligence to implement “dynamic pricing” to charge people more for their food at busy times of the day and less when things were quieter.
Economists, predictably, loved this idea, and many of them wrote opinion pieces and blogs explaining to the consumers that they were wrong.  Marketing people, also quite predictably, and possibly out of some dim memory of an old proverb about telling the customers they are wrong, hated it.

More specifically, someone who has come up through microeconomics is always going to like this sort of scheme, because when the parameters you have to work with are price, quantity and cost, anything which flexes the price to be closer to the marginal cost is going to show up as an efficiency improvement.  The people paying the higher price are the ones who value that particular “burger X at time T” combination the highest; other people who aren’t so stuck on a time slot get some of the benefit of cheaper production costs passed on.  Many of them pointed out that airlines use load-factor management, Uber uses surge pricing and bars have “happy hour” offers and lunchtime specials, and nobody complains about those; this is just a more sophisticated version of the same thing.

And some marketing people pointed out in return that a) people do complain about Ryanair and surge pricing, a hell of a lot, plus b) making it more sophisticated is likely to be worse for the customer.  Because – and this is where economics and marketing occupy parallel and adjacent realities – there is actually a lot more going on in the purchase decision than just quantity and price.

Originally, according to some historians, sticker prices were invented by the Quakers.  Allegedly (I have not checked this), they had a theological belief that it was dishonest to charge someone more than a “fair” price reflecting the cost and trouble of production, and also dishonest to offer someone less than goods were worth.  Consequently, Quaker merchants and industrialists set a price and refused to haggle.

People really liked this invention.  It helped that the Quakers had a reputation for honesty, but even when the practice spread to more pragmatic faiths, it’s a huge saver of time and effort.  A regular theme of this ‘stack has been that, in cognitive terms, “yes/no” is a much cheaper operation than trying to work out a reservation price, allow for strategic behaviour, consider the need for “

In a modern industrial economy, there is a lot of cognitive demand on everyone at any given time.  One of the services that most companies provide is that of deciding on a simple pricing schedule which, on average, covers their variable and overhead costs, and presenting their customers with a “take it or leave it” proposition. 

Implementing any form of dynamic pricing is effectively pushing this cognitive load back onto the customer.  Rather than just thinking “a burger costs four quid, do I want one”, the customer is suddenly hit with a bunch of questions like “what do I think a burger is going to cost if I go into the shop in ten minutes?”, “how hungry am I, and how hungry will I be if I wait an hour?”, “is there a football match or something which might have significantly changed the normal pattern?”, “what’s my implicit price for waiting for lunch or being hungry later in the afternoon?”, “even though I can afford four quid, will I feel like a schmuck if the price goes down to three quid five minutes later?”. 

Translating the marketing intuition into the language of economics, restaurants sell a bundled good-plus-service.  This is more apparent at the high end, but even fast food retail has a significant service component, of which immediacy – the ability to make the decision and conclude the transaction quickly and easily – is a significant component.  The implementation of dynamic pricing is a degradation of part of that service component; it makes the overall product offering worse because you have to spend more of your valuable brainpower thinking about it.  When you look at the cost of beef and bread compared to the price of a hamburger, you can see that the service component is a very significant part of the overall value of the good.  No wonder customers hated this idea.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

quote:

Originally, according to some historians, sticker prices were invented by the Quakers. Allegedly (I have not checked this), they had a theological belief that it was dishonest to charge someone more than a “fair” price reflecting the cost and trouble of production, and also dishonest to offer someone less than goods were worth. Consequently, Quaker merchants and industrialists set a price and refused to haggle.

It is true, although not quite the way (PDF) Max Weber thought it worked. The Friends set a single price for several moral reasons, discussed in the link. At first, Friends lost money because customers preferred to haggle. (See: trying to abolish tips.) Eventually customers realized that you could send a child or an inexperienced servant to a Friend-owned business to do your marketing, and they would not get cheated. So people who enjoyed haggling as a sport continued to stay away from the Friends, but people who liked having a consistent price preferred their stores.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

it’s fine, I’m developing a price comparison app that will reduce this cognitive load by notifying customers about the best value burgers in their area! for only $5.99 a month,

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It is true, although not quite the way (PDF) Max Weber thought it worked. The Friends set a single price for several moral reasons, discussed in the link. At first, Friends lost money because customers preferred to haggle. (See: trying to abolish tips.) Eventually customers realized that you could send a child or an inexperienced servant to a Friend-owned business to do your marketing, and they would not get cheated. So people who enjoyed haggling as a sport continued to stay away from the Friends, but people who liked having a consistent price preferred their stores.
Yet ultimately, the Quaker approach won - at least for low to mid-value transactions (a bucket that Wendy’s certainly falls into). It does not make sense to have big transaction costs on low-value transactions.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 13, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm going to find a way to make fake orders and change the surge baseline so it discounts every normal time of day.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol if the live event ticket bot problem comes to fastfood. it probably already has but in a current subdue form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don’t order from restaurants any more, I order from brokers who placed an order for something I am willing to eat back when demand was low.