Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

chaosapiant posted:

People today still believe the Earth is flat and that evolution is a lie. There’s a wide spectrum of religious beliefs and reasons to adhere to those beliefs.

Gurm’s world isn’t any weirder or more illogical than our own, at least in that regard.

If it was an occasional character's that's one thing, but it's the majority of characters who treat religion as a joke or not something to believe in, and GURM is the one who markets his world as a "realistic depiction of the medieval world". But it's not. That person who tore apart his Dothraki culture also did the same about religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean one of his lines about realism was "what was Aragorn's tax policy" indicating he either just didn't read Return of the King or has a very strange view of what medieval taxes were. Guaranteeing minority land rights, rebuilding infrastructure, and ending slavery in conquered lands has significantly more to do with actual medieval ruleship, than the endless minutiae of overlapping taxes in the modern world.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

What is Joffrey's tax policy lol. How does the bureaucracy of the state function in Westeros. Do septons do everything? Are there judges, sherrifs, baliffs? He's basing this world off late Plantagenet England which had an extensive and thorough bureaucracy but aside from mentioning that, like, tax collectors exist there's no real idea for how anything in Westeros works aside from the military relationship of knight-lord-king

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The tax policy thing wasn't a 'takedown' of Tolkien for not being realistic enough, it's the question of 'what makes a good ruler?'. Gurm doesn't agree that the answer is 'divine right' and exploring that is one of ASOIAF's main themes.

There are many things for which to criticise the fat man, but 'brain not sufficiently ruined with word building disease' isn't one of them.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The most recent thing he wrote was an in-universe history book for world building lol

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

DaysBefore posted:

The most recent thing he wrote was an in-universe history book for world building lol

He's been on a spree of that of late. At this point I wish he'd just write TWoW and ADoS from a maester's perspective. He might actually finish that way.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

DaysBefore posted:

Wasn't this mostly written by his racist sycophants? As in he gave them his notes and outlines and they filled it all in.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
That’s what I remember too

The absolute fucker didn’t write even that

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I don't see any mention of the epic nazi fanwiki freaks on Fire and Blood but it's certainly possible lol

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Wikipedia posted:

In 2014, more than 200,000 words were removed from the manuscript of Martin's companion book The World of Ice & Fire and were incorporated into Fire & Blood.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I saw an alt shift x vid recently and it made me decide to do the books. Rather than reading them, I am audiobooking them and it's going okay.

thoughts so far, about 1/2 through book 1:

A lot of the TV show is really well done, but it's nice having more character motivations.
Ned is even stupider in the book than on the show.
Cat sucks even more.
Ned has just decided to leave Kings Landing. So he still has his head, even if it is full of stupid.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It’s weird looking back on my first read, rooting for Ned and admiring his honor as a character. Every subsequent read is more like “this dude is an idiot and absolutely incapable of doing politics.”

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Arya: Dad, I followed some dudes and they said they were going to kill you.
Ned, after finding out the previous hand was killed: "Arya, shut up and go to your room with your imagination!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The more you think about it the worse it gets.

Ned fought two rebellions at the head of a kingdom. How is he this bad with power?

The last time he was in this very city, it was being sacked by Lannister men.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Platystemon posted:

The more you think about it the worse it gets.

Ned fought two rebellions at the head of a kingdom. How is he this bad with power?

The last time he was in this very city, it was being sacked by Lannister men.

These are people who have to write down and constantly remind themselves that seasons exist — you were expecting them to be savvy?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Littlefinger: it's my dagger but I lost it in a bet with Tyrion.
Dumb and Dumber: it must be Tyrion who did it. He's got to be as stupid as we are. Of course he'd use a weapon that was traceable back to him.
Tyrion: Are you loving stupid?
Dumber: (she just got to the Aerie but is having doubts)

The weird thing about going through these books is waiting for book 4 when there should be a deluge of new stuff. So far almost everything has happened is in the show or was cut for obvious reasons, or merged with other things.

Another thought is that some of the writing is quite good. Except the girl parts, but most men have trouble writing women, so it's not too surprising.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The one thing Gurm doesn’t get too much poo poo for is his writing. Like technically it’s pretty good but it should be since he’s been doing it for so long.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah the man has soooooo many damned faults but the fucker can actually craft a novel, shame it will never happen again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2024/03/11/words-of-wisdom-2/

He's got people on the hopium because the last time he did a post like this, Dance was finished.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ned was lucky the North was almost all houses that are blindly loyal to the Starks as an institution, outside of the Boltons.

I think it was said he was a good battlefield commander but just an okay fighter, which is why people tend to think he beat Arthur Dayne in an unhonorable way and he doesn’t like to think about it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He's got people on the hopium because the last time he did a post like this, Dance was finished.

I thought the post that signalled Dance's arrival was "Kong is Dead."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Arbite posted:

I thought the post that signalled Dance's arrival was "Kong is Dead."

That post was a picture of a dead king kong in a similar way this post is just images.

I don't believe it for a second

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Before I started on this journey I saw that he'd written 1200 pages or so. Why not just release a bunch of it as its own book? Make it an 8 or 9 book series. Just release something and appease your fans. Why release a 1600 page book that is 4 times as long as a normal book? 5 times?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Waltzing Along posted:

Before I started on this journey I saw that he'd written 1200 pages or so.

I dont believe that

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

The one thing Gurm doesn’t get too much poo poo for is his writing. Like technically it’s pretty good but it should be since he’s been doing it for so long.

Martin is pretty good about subject/verb agreement and knows what words mean. But ... fat pink mast, Dany's diarrhea, creepy Mercy poo poo, etc. His spelling is poo poo too judging by his blog. He's a professional writer who is competent. If anything, he doesn't get enough poo poo for his writing.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

bobjr posted:

Ned was lucky the North was almost all houses that are blindly loyal to the Starks as an institution, outside of the Boltons.

I think it was said he was a good battlefield commander but just an okay fighter, which is why people tend to think he beat Arthur Dayne in an unhonorable way and he doesn’t like to think about it.

I thought the whole thing was pretty laid out that Ned was definitively dead against Dayne except Howland Reed (WHERE WAS ANY OF THE REED poo poo IN THE SHOW) did something to save him.

WHERE WAS ALL THE REED poo poo IN THE SHOW.

HOWLAND REED WAS loving ALIVE WHERE THE gently caress WAS HOWLAND REED.

I know he was technically in the flashback but come the gently caress on.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Woodpile posted:

Martin is pretty good about subject/verb agreement and knows what words mean. But ... fat pink mast, Dany's diarrhea, creepy Mercy poo poo, etc. His spelling is poo poo too judging by his blog. He's a professional writer who is competent. If anything, he doesn't get enough poo poo for his writing.

Also his thing where he falls in love with one archaic sounding word per book cf “nuncle”, “jape”, “serjeant”

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lol yeah him discovering a new old word and retroactively making it very common rules. Helps that there are 37 years between each installment of his secen-part trilogy

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

TGG posted:

I thought the whole thing was pretty laid out that Ned was definitively dead against Dayne except Howland Reed (WHERE WAS ANY OF THE REED poo poo IN THE SHOW) did something to save him.

WHERE WAS ALL THE REED poo poo IN THE SHOW.

HOWLAND REED WAS loving ALIVE WHERE THE gently caress WAS HOWLAND REED.

I know he was technically in the flashback but come the gently caress on.

The Reeds got done so dirty in the show. Howland Reed is some sort of tiny guerilla fighter, handy with the old magic and the crannogman blowdarts and perhaps not overburdened with standard morals regarding the honourable warfare, given what other characters say about crannogmen.

An intriguing combination of incredible, decades-spanning loyalty to Ned Stark and his secrets, and 100% avoidance of the world outside his marsh. A man who sends his children into a rapidly escalating warzone to lead a nine-year old paralyzed child up beyond the Wall, and who perhaps holds the key to legitimizing Jon Snow/telling the truth about whatever the hell Rhaegar Targaryean was up to, 20 years ago/letting us in on whatever weird poo poo is on the Isle of Faces at Harrenhall.

In the show you don't get any of that. You just get Jojen getting blown up with bad CGI, and poor Meera Reed dragging Brans' useless, complaining arse up and down a thousand miles of snow, then in her last episode he tells her to gently caress off, he doesn't need her any more, and we never see her again. So dumb. So annoying.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
Honestly, if GURM can redeem the Reeds and make them the focal point I'll at least read the books. Maybe forgive him. Maybe

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's me. I'm hope :sigh:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's never coming out
And if it comes out it will be bad
And if it isn't then we've moved on
And if we haven't then shut up

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It will come out. The book after? That will never come out.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I heard there's a theory that Howland Reed Warged Dayne and is now him, which is why he's so reclusive, but I also like the idea that he just threw a net over him and him and Ned just stabbed him.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Waltzing Along posted:

It will come out. The book after? That will never come out.

This is where I am. I fully expect a giant 6th novel at some point that is pretty decent, offers some good payoffs from books 4 and 5, and most of all, ends on several giant new cliffhangers that never ever get resolved.

Here’s my secret: I still enjoy the books, including 4 and 5, and I also like the show, even the ending. My biggest beef with the show isn’t any of the plot points themselves, but that seasons 7 and 8 are so much shorter, and some of the plot twists don’t feel earned as a result.

But should book 6 come out I’ll gladly read it. I’m not going to pretend like all of a sudden he’s a poo poo author writing poo poo books.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

My theory is that Howland killed seven shades of poo poo out of Dayne fairly but is too much of a recluse to take any credit.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The Howland Reed theorycrafting was strong back in the day when we thought more books were coming out. It's now been replaced by theories about lemon trees, and Khal Drogo warging into his own horse, but back in the day there was some good poo poo out there when discussing Howland Reed.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

bobjr posted:

I heard there's a theory that Howland Reed Warged Dayne and is now him, which is why he's so reclusive, but I also like the idea that he just threw a net over him and him and Ned just stabbed him.

Yeah I always figured he just got him with a poison dart / snare trap / good old backstab like in the show. Just some sort of dishonourable tactic, not bog magic.

Could be bog magic too, though. I wouldn't mind.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

chaosapiant posted:

This is where I am. I fully expect a giant 6th novel at some point that is pretty decent, offers some good payoffs from books 4 and 5, and most of all, ends on several giant new cliffhangers that never ever get resolved.

Here’s my secret: I still enjoy the books, including 4 and 5, and I also like the show, even the ending. My biggest beef with the show isn’t any of the plot points themselves, but that seasons 7 and 8 are so much shorter, and some of the plot twists don’t feel earned as a result.

But should book 6 come out I’ll gladly read it. I’m not going to pretend like all of a sudden he’s a poo poo author writing poo poo books.

It's called Stockholm Syndrome. Stockholm is in Sweden, so that means your as bad of a human as the swedish lore nazis by proxy

Sorry, I don't make the rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The Howland Reed theorycrafting was strong back in the day when we thought more books were coming out. It's now been replaced by theories about lemon trees, and Khal Drogo warging into his own horse, but back in the day there was some good poo poo out there when discussing Howland Reed.

There was a delightful post in Reddit from a guy whose reading comprehension was not up to scratch/was reading in his second language, and was very confused about crannogmen shooting someone (ie with a blowdart/arrow) and took it to mean the folk of the Neck had some sort of primitive gun.

Which of course leads to the memetic theory that Howland Reed was packing heat on the road to the Tower of Joy, and blew away Arthur Dayne with a .22 Valyrian Steel Shotgun, which is genuinely the only theory I will now accept.