Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(September 13, 1910)

Baron Bean(March 14, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(February 11, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(November 4, 1919)

Us Boys(March 12, 1912)

The Gumps(April 10, 1917)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (September 22-October 3, 2005)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So the thread may or may not know, but Pedro Martin released a graphic novel version of his Mexikid comic:

It's not just a printing of the comic strips he did, but a memoir of when his family went down to Mexico in 1977 so they could bring his grandfather to the US. It does incorporate stories from the strip into the overall narrative, like the time Martin got his hair cut:

Martin also changes the art style when retelling stories about his grandfather:

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Somebody just watched Creepshow!
https://www.comicsbeat.com/kelley-jones-creepshow-2/

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Caption It!

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

Spectickles

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

Parsley in the Corner

quote:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F MInus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXE8LdXzeHM

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Count, wrestling fans at these things consider it lucky if you can stay awake for more than two words at a time.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Plugger

Plugger category: goon.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Kinda surprised by this one, as Andrzej Krasinski is a proper Polish first and last name and it reads like “Crushinski”, too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

Of all the times CAD overstepped, I'm at a loss how that was the example that came to mind.

I mean, loss has almost turned back around into pure art at this point.

And honestly I only remember the ending for the sheer audacity of it. Loss was like Some Things Just Aren't Worth Dying For. They become more than themselves to the point you forget they were a loving comic strip.

Mary, keep chugging this victory lap that you literally did NOTHING FOR.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pancho Jueves posted:

Plugger

Plugger category: goon.

I looked it up: they came out in 1976.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The more years pass since Loss, the more it feels wrong that the CAD miscarriage strip that went viral is the one that's a hamfisted but sincere attempt to depict shock and grief, instead of the much more mortifying subsequent strip where Ethan tearfully puts away a baby-sized Xbox controller

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 7/14-16/52

Archie 10/27-29/49

:stonk:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 4/4-6/77

In this case, I have read ahead, and I am absolutely, 100%, lead-pipe-cinch certain none of you will guess what Herbert's business is.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 13, 2024

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Conan: The Blood Egg Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

CARLOTA! Who is this… wait, she appeared a few pages back. While she is clearly wily, she cannot be as wily as Conan, who was, in his youth, forever sneaking into weird fortresses to seize some artefact like a scantily clad Indiana Jones.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

In this case, I have read ahead, and I am absolutely, 100%, lead-pipe-cinch certain none of you will guess what Herbert's business is.

Unlicensed back-alley CPA.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
He sells textbooks to aspiring podiatrists.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Is it dog heelies?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Boymoding To Save Your Serial Killer Boyfriend From The Families Of His Victims

Awkward Real Life Knowledge Rough Chuckles Comics

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

He's developing a box that plugs into your TV that lets you play your favorite video games at home.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

If I'm not mistaken, your entire civilization was created by birds. Though, I guess nobody in the presented comic knows that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zereth posted:

Unlicensed back-alley CPA.

Certified Pirate Accountant

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Olive & Popeye

Toonerville Folks (July 17-19, 1922)

Dok's Dippy Kaiser (February 19, 1915)

Little Lefty (December 4-6, 1939)

The boarding house falls victim once again to my weird procrastination habits. :shrug:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm pretty sure R.L or other scent-predators would choose death over being deliberately skunk sprayed. I get the feeling it's another for the ever-growing list of Things Holbrook Doesn't Really Understand.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Not saying that the first person she tells has to be Brad, but it certainly shouldn't be TJ.

Does she have any friends?

Gil Thorp

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ms Grundy invoking frontier justice got me.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
My new theory is that when Jules got hired, they told her that newspaper comics sometimes repeat key information a few times for readers who missed a day and she heard "every strip of the week has to reference the same part event, otherwise no one will know you referenced it."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (March 20-22, 1944)

Williams draws most of his people characters somewhat goofy, but he clearly loves drawing animals to the life. He's really good at it.

EasyEW posted:

Even weirder is where the corporation explains the word "Coke". Or maybe this is just them saying "NO, YOUR GROCER ISN'T SELLING COCAINE. Not again, anyway."

Might also have been because coke is an integral fuel for steel manufacturing, something that was very popular at this point in US history

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I know you think you have to keep up kayfabe and all that but my dude, you're roughly 904 years old. I think your fans (all of whom are presumably old as well) understand the concept of aging and injuries.

How old is Count Crushinski here actually supposed to be? It's hard to tell because everyone in Rex Morgan looks ancient.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

The_Other posted:

So the thread may or may not know, but Pedro Martin released a graphic novel version of his Mexikid comic:

It's not just a printing of the comic strips he did, but a memoir of when his family went down to Mexico in 1977 so they could bring his grandfather to the US. It does incorporate stories from the strip into the overall narrative, like the time Martin got his hair cut:

Martin also changes the art style when retelling stories about his grandfather:

Where could one purchase this so the most money goes the author?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

fondue posted:

the link on Pedro's website goes to Penguin Random House, so I'll assume it's there.

book looks really cool, I'm gonna have to pick it up too. mexikid stories rules

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Some Guy TT posted:

The Wandering Culinarian

Was it 8000 won, originally?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Was it 8000 won, originally?

Correct, and twenty years later that's not too far off what it still goes for, despite inflation. Usually, I'm better about using the slang term bucks instead of dollars but welp, tonight I forgot.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze is going to be posted with spoiler tags for the next two weeks, because an arc about parental death is honestly hitting too close to home for me.

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 10, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack
I was going to say that there's no way AI is better at anything than a human but motivational speaking may be a useless enough activity that there's actually no measurable difference in outcome so the AI is better simply because it wastes less time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

fondue posted:

I noticed on someone awful.'s link that it's also available on Apple Books and various other eBook formats, in case people from not-the-USA also want to get it. I got the digital version for my iPad.

FINGERPORI