Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Canned Sunshine posted:

Besides it apparently running in the family, my comment still stands, just also applicable to his father.

No idea about how kinky Camilla or this other woman is, but I don't think Diana was boring compared to your baseline royal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, it was just a joke anyway. I do think in Charles' case, he had a lot of history with Camilla long before he met Diana, so it just ends up seeming like it was just like Dune: Diana was the "wife", but Camilla was his true love/concubine.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Air Skwirl posted:

His dad cheated on Princess Diana with Camilla.

Wasn't it the case that Charles always wanted to be with Camilla, but Elizabeth and the royal family didn't like her and pushed Charles towards anyone else and that's how he ended up with Diana?

EDIT:

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, it was just a joke anyway. I do think in Charles' case, he had a lot of history with Camilla long before he met Diana, so it just ends up seeming like it was just like Dune: Diana was the "wife", but Camilla was his true love/concubine.

Yeah, that's how I understood it

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BlindSite posted:

My favourite deep dives is the dumb ideas to deploy nuclear weapons in the 50s and 60s. Gimme my nuclear mortars.
What if we extended the Mediterranean Sea into Africa to a low lying basin to make a hydro-electric plant from water flowing down into said basin? And used nukes to clear the path?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qattara_Depression_Project

quote:

The core problem of the project was the cost and technical difficulty of diverting seawater to the depression. Calculations showed that digging a canal or tunnel would be too expensive. Demining would be needed to remove some of the millions of unexploded ordnance left from World War II in Northern Egypt. Consequently, use of nuclear explosives to excavate the canal was another proposal by Bassler. This plan called for the detonation in boreholes of 213 nuclear devices, each yielding 1.5 megatons (i.e. 100 times that of the atomic bomb used against Hiroshima). This fit within the Atoms for Peace program proposed by President Dwight Eisenhower in 1953. Evacuation plans cited numbers of at least 25,000 evacuees. The shock waves from the explosion might also affect the tectonically unstable Red Sea Rift located just 450 km away from the blast site. Another danger was increased coast erosion because sea currents could change in such a way that even very remote coastal areas would erode. Because of the concerns about using a nuclear solution the Egyptian government turned down the plan,[12] and the project's stakeholders gave up on the project.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shinji2015 posted:

Wasn't it the case that Charles always wanted to be with Camilla, but Elizabeth and the royal family didn't like her and pushed Charles towards anyone else and that's how he ended up with Diana?

EDIT:

Yeah, that's how I understood it

Yeah, I don't really understand royalty, but Camilla was never really called "Princess" while her mother in law was alive, but now she's Queen when Liz's husband was never called King.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Canned Sunshine posted:

Also, the woman that they claim William cheated on Kate with, seems to be not nearly as attractive as Kate.

Many such cases!

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

LeeMajors posted:

Equally disqualifying to the webtoed royal freaks.

Unless the weight is in the butt

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I don't really understand royalty, but Camilla was never really called "Princess" while her mother in law was alive, but now she's Queen when Liz's husband was never called King.

Camilla is Queen Consort though, not Queen.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Canned Sunshine posted:

Also, the woman that they claim William cheated on Kate with, seems to be not nearly as attractive as Kate.

So either Kate is a boring gently caress or that other woman is loving kinky as hell. Or both!

Being a powerful dude means you can use said power to sleep with more people who are willing to suck up to power / are prone to it, and/or William could want to just add more to his total count. Attraction doesn't matter in those cases.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

Camilla is the Queen Consort, which is basically a polite way of saying she's the king's current piece but isn't granted the title of Queen. But she still carries the attendant rank in terms of process for social events etc. In other words you bow to chuckles, then to camilla then to the next in rank. She only achieves that rank because her husband is now King. Its generally the title given to someone not of previous rank / title when their husband becomes King. Kate is already a princess by Marriage so she would be just "Queen".

Philip couldn't have been made King because King will always reign above a Queen but he was technically the heir to throne of Greece and Denmark which is why he was a Prince in the first place - and at the time of their marriage though he had to renounce several titles in order to marry. He was given the title of Duke by the Queen's decree so he had a British title to go with his now renounced birth ones since his whole family and most of their attendant incomes was wiped out around the 1900s. This afforded him greater social standing in rankings and function and gave him some actual power he could do things with without having to get his wife to sign off. While also avoiding some kind of weirdness in post ww2 where Denmark and Greece could potentially have had factions seeking to install him as King. Others would suggest it was to distance himself from I think his sisters, or cousins? I forget my history a little here who married German royalty when the Nazis were ascending to power.

Basically unless you're born into the Royal family you get the best title they can gin up from the history books without upsetting any of the traditionalists because, I dunno... reasons.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I would make fun but we have a council of unelected oracles who anointed Bush presidency and set off the end of history.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BlindSite posted:

Camilla is the Queen Consort, which is basically a polite way of saying she's the king's current piece but isn't granted the title of Queen. But she still carries the attendant rank in terms of process for social events etc. In other words you bow to chuckles, then to camilla then to the next in rank. She only achieves that rank because her husband is now King. Its generally the title given to someone not of previous rank / title when their husband becomes King. Kate is already a princess by Marriage so she would be just "Queen".

Philip couldn't have been made King because King will always reign above a Queen but he was technically the heir to throne of Greece and Denmark which is why he was a Prince in the first place - and at the time of their marriage though he had to renounce several titles in order to marry. He was given the title of Duke by the Queen's decree so he had a British title to go with his now renounced birth ones since his whole family and most of their attendant incomes was wiped out around the 1900s. This afforded him greater social standing in rankings and function and gave him some actual power he could do things with without having to get his wife to sign off. While also avoiding some kind of weirdness in post ww2 where Denmark and Greece could potentially have had factions seeking to install him as King. Others would suggest it was to distance himself from I think his sisters, or cousins? I forget my history a little here who married German royalty when the Nazis were ascending to power.

Basically unless you're born into the Royal family you get the best title they can gin up from the history books without upsetting any of the traditionalists because, I dunno... reasons.

Greece AND Denmark? What a weird combo

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Greece AND Denmark? What a weird combo

Play more CK3 and it won't seem so weird.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Canned Sunshine posted:

oh my god is that why Irulan discourse is suddenly a huge thing?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
The tooth fairy forgot to visit my 7 year old last night and it is a Thing, though at least it is solvable with french toast.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

When I would forget to leave tooth fairy money, in the morning I'd just palm some cash and slip into their bedroom to check "just in case they missed it", reach my hand under the pillow and pretend I found the money and it was there all along.

I been gaslighting since day one, bruh.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Braksgirl posted:

When I would forget to leave tooth fairy money, in the morning I'd just palm some cash and slip into their bedroom to check "just in case they missed it", reach my hand under the pillow and pretend I found the money and it was there all along.

I been gaslighting since day one, bruh.

I've had my kids lose a tooth without telling me and put it under the pillow, then complain the tooth fairy didn't come so I had to very quickly on the sly do a quickswap and say "of course she did!" and say they must have been half asleep and not noticed

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
The worst was that stupid goddamn Elf on a Shelf, I didn’t even get a say in it because my kid’s kindergarten teacher had one in the classroom so she came home full of demands about why we didn’t have one, idiot me figured sure why not, but for a whole month it needs to be in a new spot every single morning? And I’m supposed to remember that poo poo right before I go to bed? There were lots of mornings where she came down and immediately wanted to know why Buddy didn’t move, sometimes the excuse was “I dunno hon he must’ve been tired” but sometimes it was also “he totally did, you must be misremembering!”

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I never did elf on a shelf and am glad of it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
My parents told us that the tooth fairy didn’t want to wake up our siblings, and thus our fallen teeth ended up by the kitchen sink in a glass and the next morning money was there instead.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Intruder posted:

Yeah we figured the impending knowledge of the surveillance state was enough to give our kid anxiety, didn’t need to get ahead of the curve on it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah we figured the impending knowledge of the surveillance state was enough to give our kid anxiety, didn’t need to get ahead of the curve on it.

My cousins daughter went to a friends house who had Elf on a Shelf. When she asked her parents about it they explained the whole thing and her reaction was "so he's a snitch". Which was both a huge point of pride but also a reminder to periodically evaluate your kids streaming history.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bought a pork butt last week because it was on deep sale (less than a buck a pound), starting smoking it today because it was almost a week old need to poo poo or get off the pot and of course it starts raining so I had to set up a cover for the top vent

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Intruder posted:

Yeah very early on in kid-having we agreed we were not getting involved in that poo poo for the reasons Thaddius and Lee said. My buddy’s wife loves to create elaborate scenes for their elf every night and post them on Instagram and I’m like, good for you girl, but I do NOT have that kind of energy at 10pm.

Sometimes the kids ask why their friends have one and we don’t but we just kind of shrug and move on

Mr. Nice! posted:

My parents told us that the tooth fairy didn’t want to wake up our siblings, and thus our fallen teeth ended up by the kitchen sink in a glass and the next morning money was there instead.

This is a big brain play

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/HowardMortman/status/1767908520865738869

lmfao

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I would give a dumb amount of money to hear her explain what she thinks tik tok is

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Intruder posted:

Elf on the shelf is honestly creepy as gently caress and a psyop by the government to raise a generation that accepts constant surveillance .

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Pokémon go to the polls.
:polls:
:abuela:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I never even heard of elf on the shelf until I was in my 20s and it gives me the willies.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://x.com/joe_sheehan/status/1767910205713682703?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

legit thought she had died already. i might be confusing her with someone else..

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I mean, when it comes to baseball, at least she's over 18.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

3 DONG HORSE posted:

legit thought she had died already. i might be confusing her with someone else..

probably Feinstein

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

If she was Republican that Tic-Tac-Toe would've been the opposite direction

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

me and my older sister understood our parents were liars by the time I was about six, but we conspired to let them continue the charade, mostly so we'd still get money for teeth and presents in stockings. When my younger sib was around five or six, she loudly announced to the parents that obviously santa didn't exist, but then negotiated that we continue to have stockings "in the spirit of christmas" so we could keep having fun and the family basically agreed to that.

I don't know what age is normal but nowadays with access to the internet I bet most kids are perfectly well aware it's all just a game of let's pretend by the time they're like 8 at the latest? Maybe? But sometimes kids humor their parents, especially when there's loot to be had for it.

As an aside, figuring out that santa was obviously not real coincided with also figuring out that god, jesus, and the whole christian rigamarole was similarly implausible, but I was never brave enough to tell my stepmom that I thought her faith was absurd and foolish and that I didn't want to go to church with her any more. Her youngest daughter announced she was a pagan witch by the time she was 14 and that was when she stopped going to church. It was, apparently, fine.

I went along to keep the peace and not get in trouble (and get presents & money), but I had some braver siblings willing to be honest and I was rather surprised both times that my parents turned out to actually be adaptable and tolerant.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Start telling your kids about the Reverse Tooth Fairy. They leave cash under the pillow, they wake up in the morning and there's teeth there. Quarter per tooth. All you can teeth.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

one way video interviews are weird. feels like the world's most boring monologue.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I never even heard of elf on the shelf until I was in my 20s and it gives me the willies.

Same, it's very bizarre coming at it with fresh adult eyes. Then again I convinced my son to leave his toy chicken at home today by positioning it on the stairs and telling him that the chicken would keep an eye on his other toys while he was at daycare, so ???

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

one way video interviews are weird. feels like the world's most boring monologue.

The interviewer on video, or just you? That seems exceptionally odd to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Our nephew had to be told about Santa and all that when he was 13 because he very earnestly still believed in the elf and all that. He was devastated but it was time.