Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
powerful, unhinged, or Methode enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah I didn't interpret it as Fern proving to her that humans (or even that specific batch of applicants) are worthy, though admittedly it's been a bit since I read the chapters where she interviews them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

sharkmafia posted:

I mean, i agree generally, but frieren is the exception

she's obviously 'worthy' of being a first class mage, but she's the one person that serie actually is willing to fail out of spite. because frieren, though a powerful mage, is completely uninterested in serie's worldview and is both willing and equipped to directly contradict her on it. which really gets under serie's skin

We allow Frieren on this council, but we do not grant her the rank of Master, just because.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

M_Gargantua posted:

We allow Frieren on this council, but we do not grant her the rank of Master, just because.

More like "we will not allow Frieren on this council, and if I see her in this temple again in the next thousand years, you're all fired."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah I didn't interpret it as Fern proving to her that humans (or even that specific batch of applicants) are worthy, though admittedly it's been a bit since I read the chapters where she interviews them.

I would say that Fern improved her mood drastically which is always a good thing for other people trying to pass.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

TwoPair posted:

More like "we will not allow Frieren on this council, and if I see her in this temple again in the next thousand years, you're all fired."

Some guy 700 years later is handed a very confusing pink slip.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TwoPair posted:

If you want the entire exam (all 3 parts I mean), it's from 37 to 58

Thanks! I tried to find it but kept missing. Now I can read it again.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

New Chapter - Retrieval Mission

New Chapter

Cat ears fern & frrieren

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 12, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
There is no ":allears:" big enough for this chapter.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Okay, there's a lot going on here, but never in a million years would I have expected cat ears Frieren and Fern

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
shoulda figured Stark was into catgirls

between that and Ubel's dress and "romantic" interlude with Land we're gettin all the fanservice this chapter to soften the blow of the month break

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
that was an excellent chapter.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Some shockingly bad OpSec here. Why not speak the name of your deeply embedded spy out loud a few dozen more times in the middle of Highly Advanced Magic Land, guys. :v:

Ah well. At least Ubel has the appropriate skillset to get them out of this mess as discreetly as possible.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The author really liked the dancing scene in the anime, huh

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Ah well. At least Ubel has the appropriate skillset to get them out of this mess as discreetly as possible.
Just going to have to call in the cleaner.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Magic Gear Solid: Tactical Kabedon Action

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

lunar detritus posted:

The author really liked the dancing scene in the anime, huh

If anything I ever made got as sick an adaptation as this series did, I would absolutely make more scenes just to see them animated in the future.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
The kabedon...

This chapter tickled the brain nicely.

I also appreciate that the pattern on Ubel's dress followed her movements and didn't look like it was a flat pattern applied like a halftone with no consideration to what her arms or whatever were doing, which always bugs me.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 13, 2024

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

My prediction, I think a pretty clear one that a lot of us might be thinking:

The mage bodyguarding Serie will turn out to be a demon planted by Grausam, looping us back to the ending of the flashback arc. I saw people speculating it could be Grausam himself, but would it make sense for Frieren to be incorrect when she already stated he was one of the slain Sages of Destruction? I think we'll get a chapter where the shadow warrior is surprisingly close to succeeding, then gets no selled by Serie, but the bodyguard might pull off the assassination.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tosk posted:

My prediction, I think a pretty clear one that a lot of us might be thinking:

The mage bodyguarding Serie will turn out to be a demon planted by Grausam, looping us back to the ending of the flashback arc. I saw people speculating it could be Grausam himself, but would it make sense for Frieren to be incorrect when she already stated he was one of the slain Sages of Destruction? I think we'll get a chapter where the shadow warrior is surprisingly close to succeeding, then gets no selled by Serie, but the bodyguard might pull off the assassination.

Grausam has magic that can easily fool Frieren. So I think he could have faked his death easily if he had future knowledge.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Grausam has magic that can easily fool Frieren. So I think he could have faked his death easily if he had future knowledge.

Particularly given that the Frieren that may have fought Grausam would not have fought him before and therefore rather lacking in information.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Jerkface posted:

New Chapter - Retrieval Mission

New Chapter

Cat ears fern & frrieren

"Frieren will be enjoying this vacation for about a month"

BOOOOOO

HISSSSS

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I am pretty skeptical about Falsch being either Grausam or some other demon, because that would mean that he was capable of maintaining his illusion(s) without being detected for years, possibly decades, right under the nose of dozens of some of the most powerful human mages and Serie, which strikes me as pretty implausible. And Frieren too, come to think of it, considering he was in the same place as her at least once or twice and she didn't notice anything odd about him. And if he was indeed powerful enough to have Serie and however many other mages under permanent illusion without anyone being aware about it, there is absolutely no reason why he would need an imperial plot to assassinate her. That being said, it's entirely possible that he is a well-placed imperial spy, just like Lineal is one for magic association.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Well, I think this chapter made it reasonably clear why the Empire might be in conflict with Serie and other powerful non-Imperial mages, without any need to assume that demons are meddling with things

It also makes clear that the author really likes teasing the Land/Ubel pairing

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don't think Grausam is involved in the current plot. But I do think he is alive.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Vizuyos posted:

Well, I think this chapter made it reasonably clear why the Empire might be in conflict with Serie and other powerful non-Imperial mages, without any need to assume that demons are meddling with things

It also makes clear that the author really likes teasing the Land/Ubel pairing

is it really "teasing" at this point

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

I am pretty skeptical about Falsch being either Grausam or some other demon, because that would mean that he was capable of maintaining his illusion(s) without being detected for years, possibly decades, right under the nose of dozens of some of the most powerful human mages and Serie, which strikes me as pretty implausible. And Frieren too, come to think of it, considering he was in the same place as her at least once or twice and she didn't notice anything odd about him. And if he was indeed powerful enough to have Serie and however many other mages under permanent illusion without anyone being aware about it, there is absolutely no reason why he would need an imperial plot to assassinate her. That being said, it's entirely possible that he is a well-placed imperial spy, just like Lineal is one for magic association.

His illusions are explicitly stated to work better against mages and particularly powerful mages. We know he has future knowledge, and of what has been revealed within the narrative only the existence of the CMA and Serie qualifies as being of interest.

With his power set and the narrative we've had so far, Grausam hiding in plain sight seems like a deliberate setup, but I agree that just an assassination seems like a not enough. It's entirely possible the assassination is a feint, or the specific goal is to start a war by killing Serie. With Schlacht's plan in play it could be a butterfly wing to tornado thing, so who knows.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I was going to wait until after the first season of anime to read ahead in the manga, but I was weak and gave into temptation after last week's episode.

I'm now all caught up and am extremely enthused about Ubel and Land turning up again in the most recent chapters.

Also, I can't wait to see how the anime adapts the final parts of the mage exam arc.

That was just amazing. Some very good payoffs. Serie is soooo petty. Fern is so very her master's student (ch60)...

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
https://x.com/santanaelchan/status/1768245313205059932?s=46&t=Yntt7G3i9J81WH8r8EaHnw

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmao I'm glad that the tradition of Hokuto No Kenning manga featuring women is still going- I saw a few different ones in Japan in 2000 through 2003.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Quinton posted:

I was going to wait until after the first season of anime to read ahead in the manga, but I was weak and gave into temptation after last week's episode.

I'm now all caught up and am extremely enthused about Ubel and Land turning up again in the most recent chapters.

Also, I can't wait to see how the anime adapts the final parts of the mage exam arc.

That was just amazing. Some very good payoffs. Serie is soooo petty. Fern is so very her master's student (ch60)...

Serie has been avoiding laundry for over 1000 years with that spell and now she has to start washing clothes again. We all also know the real reason Sense was made a first class mage was that she was the only person who could do Serie's hair.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

The junk collector posted:

Serie has been avoiding laundry for over 1000 years with that spell and now she has to start washing clothes again. We all also know the real reason Sense was made a first class mage was that she was the only person who could do Serie's hair.

Frieren's like "lol get hosed, Serie"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

serie more like stinky

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I love how we've seen a grand total of three living elves in this world, and two of them are barely on speaking terms with each other

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DaveWoo posted:

I love how we've seen a grand total of three living elves in this world, and two of them are barely on speaking terms with each other

I take it you've never lived in a small town.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

Four, no? Frieren, Kraft, Serie, and Milliarde.

Poor Milliarde, not being remembered for her significant contribution to the world!

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

We only saw Milliarde in a flashback to the distant past, we don't know if she's still around

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I am 100% convinced that if Série and Kraft ever met on-screen their first reaction would be simultaneous "Oh.You." followed by icy silence.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'm going to vote for the comedy option, and predict that Kraft is Series' good-for-nothing son. She disowned him after he showed zero interest in magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
My completely not based on anything prediction is that they're siblings. No idea on which being the younger one would be funnier though.