Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
True, how could I have been so foolish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess you can watch it legally soon in US/CA, though it's a little expensive of course https://www.reddit.com/r/Sumo/comme...erm=1&rdt=60472. But hell some posters were probably spending that much on bits in midnight

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

No Mods No Masters posted:

I guess you can watch it legally now in US/CA, it's a little expensive of course https://www.reddit.com/r/Sumo/comme...erm=1&rdt=60472. But hell some posters were probably spending that much on bits in midnight

I just used my Prime subscription every time a basho rolled around :shobon:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Kick dot com slash dondondondon

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I guess you can watch it legally soon in US/CA, though it's a little expensive of course https://www.reddit.com/r/Sumo/comme...erm=1&rdt=60472. But hell some posters were probably spending that much on bits in midnight
Jme.tv only covers top division and has no VOD replays. :(

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

Banana Canada posted:

Prior to goonzuke publication, I'll post the tracker without Makuuchi - Juryo divisions. Will revise with the divisions later and tweak the colours and formatting a bit mroe.

After Day 03:

Very handy, wish I hadn't seen it. Please take this extremely personally Robviously, my only goal this basho is to stay ahead of you.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Trade request

Daieisho for Wakamotoharu

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

This post says that starts March 20th, which is...near the end of the basho? Also I've seen no proper on-the-site confirmation that they will actually show full (Juryo/Makuuchi) sumo action every day, I've just seen reddit posts about it that claim the website says it (I couldn't find it).

I expressed concern about this previously and it went unaddressed.

Brut posted:

People are getting really excited but this says "NHK World" which I believe is not the channel we want.

I'm not totally sure about "NHK World Premium", but here is the schedule of it's programming:

https://nhkworldpremium.com/en/schedules

Unfortunately it only shows 1 week at a time and none of the snapshots I can pull up on the wayback machine overlap with basho dates so I can't figure out if they actually show the sumo or not, but I'm guessing they do not.

So like, I'm hoping it's a viable option, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh, right. I just read my own quote and remembered the schedule page I found, so now that I'm actually looking at it during a basho, yes the NHK World Premium channel appears to show Sumo however they go live at 4 PM and end at 6, in other words they only show the top division, no Juryo. I am assuming since this is still under the "world" branding the entire broadcast will have English audio (though now that I think about it, they probably won't let you switch to the Japanese audio, but we'll see).

Brut fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 13, 2024

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Day 4: SHODAI

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022
Day 4: at 0-4 I am honestly worried about Kirishima carrying an undisclosed injury or something. Also, I wonder if Teru will be around in week 2, feels like shades of July last year when he went win loss loss out. Nishikigi and Meisei both have decent records against him, as in they don't get blasted out every time, but he doesn't look like he's exhibiting yusho-winning sumo out there. He definitely has no problem withdrawing early to save his knees for next time, knowing there's no one in any solid running to replace him.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This basho is bananas and it's only day 4.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I haven't been posting (I'm sure everyone has noticed the lack of posts purely consisting of SHODAI) but that's because I'm in Japan!

I did Ryogoku with my friends a couple of days ago, and I'll be at the basho tomorrow and the day after now that we're in Osaka. If we show up on the gaijin cam I'll be the smaller goony guy next to the big goony guy wearing an "I'm Kenough" sweater.

We did try to go to Meatland, but my friend who was navigating somehow got the wrong meatland, so we ended up eating at an admittedly tasty "Niku bar" Meatland.

Can't wait to buy a Shodai towel tomorrow.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Requesting to trade Kirishima for Kotonowaka for Day 5 onwards.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

anakha posted:

Requesting to trade Kirishima for Kotonowaka for Day 5 onwards.

Yeah, can I do the same? I hate trading but I am going to do a rare trade.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
What the gently caress is happening in this basho? Day 4 was completely nuts

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I would like to trade Ichiyamamoto for Takerufuji or Shonannouni please

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Hoshoryu is the only rikishi on my team that's above .500 right now. Oof.

But I still believe in Team Good Boys. No trades.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

first & foremost trade Shimazuumi based on his injury. I think draftwise I was Nishikifuji & then Shonannoumi but I throw myself upon the mercy of the goonzuke for who I end up with.

day 4:
best wishes to Tsurugisho for a quick & full recovery, that knee buckle looked real bad. :smith:

Couple real quick tsukidashi victories today; deadlifting a 300+lb wrestler up & out has always been my favorite technique (miss you Tochinoshin) but there's something really artistic about just standing up, leaning forward & palm striking somebody in the face so powerfully that they lose balance & momentum and go flying out!

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Day 04:

No divisions between Makuuchi and Juryo in my tracker until the Goonzuke for this basho is official.

Kenning - you probably didn't see Taffy Torpedo's late entry so I'm using Tiny Bug Child's list, and made an educated guess at what the draft would have been for them based on which rikishi looked over-subscribed already. Totally unofficial and I'll change it up to your draft if you decide to give him a team starting on Day 02.

Y/O: Kotonowaka
S/K: Abi
M1-5: Hiradoumi
M6-10: Takayasu
M11+: Shimazuumi
Juryo: Takarafuji

Kuros - not sure if your Day 04 trade request of Daieisho for Wakamotoharu would have gone through as Wakamotoharu is the most subscribed S/K rikishi. So I'll assume the trade doesn't go through for now. Will adjust if Kenning confirms otherwise.

Kenning - for you convenience, trade requests up to this post:

code:
Kuros			Day 04: Daieisho for Wakamotoharu

anakha			Day 05: Kirishima for Kotonowaka
bessantj		Day 05: Kirishima for Kotonowaka
Nativity In Black	Day 05: Ichiyamamoto for Takerufuji or Shonannouni
StupidSexyMothman	Day 05: (kyujo auto-trade) Shimazuumi for Nishikifuji or Shonannoumi
Shimazuumi's kyujo would impact:

Gaghskull
Iron Chef Nex
Liquid Communism
StupidSexyMothman
Taffy Torpedo (assuming my unofficial pick stands)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Log082 posted:

We did try to go to Meatland, but my friend who was navigating somehow got the wrong meatland, so we ended up eating at an admittedly tasty "Niku bar" Meatland.

This is loving hilarious, you got any pictures from fake meatland? Have they heard of Chiyotairyu? Is there a fierce rivalry forming?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

it sucks having lost out on the hot rookie everyone wanted ofc and now having to root for ryuden

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ok i've seen enough:

requesting to trade kirishima for Kotonowaka, Horshoryu, or terunofuji in pref order

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My stable is clearly suffering from post-yusho strain, but I will persevere and display hinkaku by NOT trading Kirishima. This is going to be a wide open tournament even with the upper ranks collapsing.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Brut posted:

This is loving hilarious, you got any pictures from fake meatland? Have they heard of Chiyotairyu? Is there a fierce rivalry forming?

I have one pic of the signboard, our first clue that something was wrong. There was zero sumo anything (our second clue) in Other Meatland so I doubt they knew who Chiyotairyu was.

We did get absolutely fantastic chanko nabe in Ryohoku, though.

I can't figure out embedding from imgur on my phone, so I'm just going to link a gallery with Other Meatland, Ryogoku pics, and chanko.

https://imgur.com/a/R6NHkyx

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Single Tight Female posted:

Please take this extremely personally Robviously, my only goal this basho is to stay ahead of you.

Just for this, I will not trade out my rikishi this basho. I will approach this with a yokogoona mindset and gambarize my team to victory. :hayter:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kinbozan and Tsurugisho kyujo.
Kinbozan suffered a sprained cervical vertebrae
https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202403140000333.html

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Log082 posted:

I did Ryogoku with my friends a couple of days ago, and I'll be at the basho tomorrow and the day after now that we're in Osaka. If we show up on the gaijin cam I'll be the smaller goony guy next to the big goony guy wearing an "I'm Kenough" sweater.
We saw your goony friend.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Running behind, alas. I've got Day 4 standings and I'll make a proper goonzuke post tomorrow.

Day 4 standings

Makuuchi
code:
15	Lid
15	pseudodragon
14	Ice Phisherman
14	Kenning
14	Teddybear
13	Average Lettuce
13	Chinook
13	Khizan
13	MalarkeyToboggan
12	FART BOSS
12	MyChemicalImbalance
12	Tiny Bug Child
11	Banana Canada
11	bessantj
11	Dead Goon
11	Helianthus Annuus
11	Kennedy
11	Pakled
11	Samuel L. Hacksaw
11	whats for dinner
10	Everyones Favorite Poster
10	Nativity In Black
10	Saturnine Aberrance
10	Thauros
9	Boogalo
9	Communist Thoughts
9	Marching Powder
9	NTRabbit
9	ullerrm
8	anakha
8	Ben Nerevarine
8	Fearless
8	Liquid Communism
8	Vargatron
7	Brut
6	Iron Chef Nex
6	Robviously
Juryo
code:
17	Beexoffel
13	Fluffdaddy
13	Xerzes
12	bartolimu
12	Flinger
12	Kuros
12	PJ
12	Takuan
11	Greekonomics
10	Crusty Nutsack
10	Gaghskull
10	Nick Soapdish
10	QuasiQuack
10	StupidSexyMothman
9	Bentai
9	Eldoop
9	ImplicitAssembler
9	Kerrzhe
9	Medenmath
9	Single Tight Female
8	captainblastum
7	CodFishBalls
7	rare Magic card l00k

Kuros posted:

Trade request

Daieisho for Wakamotoharu

You got him for Day 4 (and, in classic fashion, lost a point for it).

Banana Canada posted:

Kenning - for you convenience, trade requests up to this post:

code:
Kuros			Day 04: Daieisho for Wakamotoharu

anakha			Day 05: Kirishima for Kotonowaka
bessantj		Day 05: Kirishima for Kotonowaka
Nativity In Black	Day 05: Ichiyamamoto for Takerufuji or Shonannouni
StupidSexyMothman	Day 05: (kyujo auto-trade) Shimazuumi for Nishikifuji or Shonannoumi
Shimazuumi's kyujo would impact:

Gaghskull
Iron Chef Nex
Liquid Communism
StupidSexyMothman
Taffy Torpedo (assuming my unofficial pick stands)

You're a gentleman and a scholar. I need to get to sleep, so I'll process Day 5 trades + auto-trades tomorrow. Cheers all!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Can i trade kinbo for shodai for day 5?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I am all about ganbarizing, but with an injury like that I hope he stays home and heals up.

Can I please trade Shimazuumi for Ichiyamamoto and Kinbozan for Tsurugisho for Day 5 due to their kyujo.

Can't lie, it's looking like tough times in Liquid-beya.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 14, 2024

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Liquid, you might want to reconsider your request for Tsurugisho since he's now kyujo as well.

Also, I think you can only do one trade per day max so you might want to ask for which one you want to do first.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Log082 posted:

I can't figure out embedding from imgur on my phone, so I'm just going to link a gallery with Other Meatland, Ryogoku pics, and chanko.

https://imgur.com/a/R6NHkyx

That does look like good chanko, hope you got plenty of sumo-tat as well- the fans and stuff are great little mementos and I honestly could've spent more on all the bits and pieces.

Really bummed for Tsurugisho, if he's done an ACL I don't know if he'll climb the mountain again at his age :( stay strong Sumo-Meatball

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Banana Canada posted:

Liquid, you might want to reconsider your request for Tsurugisho since he's now kyujo as well.

Also, I think you can only do one trade per day max so you might want to ask for which one you want to do first.

To that end, kyujo trades are supposed to be processed automatically based on one's original draft. So if you really want the other trade, I think you'll automatically get a replacement for Kinbozan?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Sumo in person was incredible. The fans get really into it, and it was great fun clapping along and waving my Shodai towel. There was a family with two small children behind us who got really into cheering for their favorite rikishi, and it was adorable - especially when they split between Abi and Nishikigi and tried to out cheer each other. The tachias sound even louder in person, as do the slaps.

I got a Shodai towel and cheered for him and it was excellent.

My friends and I are going back tomorrow but we'll be in the seats instead of a box because there's more of us.

Shodai.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Kenning posted:

You got him for Day 4 (and, in classic fashion, lost a point for it).

Two points :negative:

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Hi Kenning - from Day 04 results, all points matching vs mine except for StupidSexyMothman who should have 11 points instead of 10. Something to do with Shimazuumi?

Three new goonzeki are absent from your summary: Dr.Tree, Netsky and Paying2Lurk. Probably because they aren't ranked on the goonzuke?

Taffy Torpedo is also missing but let me know if your decision is to not accept their late draft entry.

And for your reference, I think these are all trade requests and kyujo impacts so far:

code:
Kuros			Day 04 (requested): Daieisho for Wakamotoharu

Liquid Communism	Day 05 (kyujo & requested): Shimazuumi for Ichiyamamoto
StupidSexyMothman	Day 05 (kyujo & requested): Shimazuumi > Nishikifuji & then Shonannoumi
Gaghskull		Day 05 (kyujo): Shimazuumi > auto-trade
Iron Chef Nex		Day 05 (kyujo): Shimazuumi > auto-trade
Taffy Torpedo		Day 05 (kyujo): Shimazuumi > auto-trade

anakha			Day 06 (requested): Kirishima for Kotonowaka
bessantj		Day 06 (requested): Kirishima for Kotonowaka
Nativity In Black	Day 06 (requested): Ichiyamamoto for Takerufuji or Shonannouni
Thauros			Day 06 (requested): Kirishima for Kotonowaka, Horshoryu, or Terunofuji in pref order
Boogalo			Day 06 (kyujo & requested): Kinbozan for Shodai
Liquid Communism	Day 06 (kyujo & requested): Kinbozan for Tsurugisho (NOTE: as it is, this is kyujo for another kyujo)
Brut			Day 06 (kyujo): Kinbozan > auto-trade
Flinger			Day 06 (kyujo): Tsurugisho > auto-trade
ImplicitAssembler	Day 06 (kyujo): Kinbozan > auto-trade
Nick Soapdish		Day 06 (kyujo): Tsurugisho > auto-trade
Robviously		Day 06 (kyujo): Kinbozan > auto-trade
whats for dinner	Day 06 (kyujo): Kinbozan > auto-trade
No tracker update from me until kyujo and trade stuff gets finalised.

Banana Canada fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 14, 2024

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Remind me how auto-trades work? Do I pick one, or do I get one of the alternates I originally listed?

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Wrestlers can be traded out during the first week.
No trades are accepted after middle Sunday, or nakabi.
Players can trade once per day.
Trades must be submitted before the top-division bouts start that day.

If a wrestler goes kyujo Week 1:
1) Any player with that wrestler can request a trade on the day of the kyujo announcement, which will be registered for the next day as a normal trade.
2) Any player with that wrestler who does not request a trade on the day of the kyujo announcement will get an auto-trade down their initial draft picks, registered for the day after the fusen loss.
3) Any player whose draft picks and wire position mean they cannot get an auto-replacement is boned until they request a specific alternative.
4) Any player who does not wish to make an auto-trade must request so before the auto-trade is made.
5) Any trades (normal or auto-) still result in losing position in the draft wire.
6) In the event of multiple simultaneous kyujo on a single day on a single team, auto-trades will be processed on subsequent days for ranks in descending order, unless otherwise requested by the player.

If a wrestler goes kyujo Week 2:
1) All auto-trades will use the initial draft wire, but will suffer the fusen penalty first. No trade requests are available in week 2. If a given wrestler on the wire is unavailable the player is, alas, boned.
2) If a player made week 1 trade requests that differ from the initial draft picks these will be followed instead of the initial draft request, if possible.
3) If a kyujo wrestler returns to action after the auto-trades have gone through, a player can request to return to their original wrestler, which will count as a trading, including all trading penalties (point deductions, loss of wire position, etc. apply). The auto-traded rikishi remains as having been on the team for purposes of registering a MK (if applicable). This rule is not applicable if the wrestler went kyujo in week 1 and was actively traded away, only for auto-trades.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Day 5 was pretty unremarkable compared to yesterday until the last handful of matches and holy moly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Heartwarming to see Atamifuji finally get his win over Takakeisho :smith: