Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Towers of power is great but it seems like it fucks with the bugs’ pathing or something. Also they are trying to destroy the tower right? Not us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like I really want a 5th stratagem, what are people bringing to their helldives these days? I'm feeling like I should bum a backpack or weapon off a teammate's extra cooldown to save a slot, if I can trust them to call it down.
bugs: shield, GL, airstrike, 500kg
if team doesn't bring antiarmor swap GL for EAT. if team doesn't bring much to kill titans, swap airstrike for orbital rail
primary/secondary/nade are punisher/senator/impact

robots: shield, AMR or GL, airstrike, laser
if only 3 strats are allowed, drop laser
primary/secondary/nade are slugger or scorcher/redeemer/HE

I briefly returned to using rover instead of shield on bugs but I don't think it's worth, things can spiral so much faster without shield.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

game just crashed so hard it killed steam, too, i've never seen that before

e: nm this was actually due to a housemate picking up the steam deck, not a hd2 issue

Chard fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Mar 13, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

jokes posted:

Towers of power is great but it seems like it fucks with the bugs’ pathing or something. Also they are trying to destroy the tower right? Not us?
Yeah most of them will run up and hit it unless there's a player between them and it. You can see the tower's HP bar under the completion bar on its display.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
What destroys the fuel depot? We threw two 500kg, eagle airstrikes, and two 380 at it and no dice.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

mission strategem hellbombs are available near targets like that

the research station / bot jammers / Sauron eyes all have that option too but can also be destroyed with 500kgs. I think those fuel tanks are the only buildings that require the hellbomb.

Rectal Death Alert fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 13, 2024

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Where do you go to get the mission strategem hellbomb?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The stratagem menu

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

it appears in your list of strategem when you are close to one of the buildings it can destroy

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
welp.

i never really read that menu so much as frantically scan it for the one i need

thanks

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
can you headshot chargers with the mech missile now?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Spookydonut posted:

can you headshot chargers with the mech missile now?

just as well as you could before

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

turn off the TV posted:

just as well as you could before

so no.

the termicide missions basically mandate sentries/mines

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Rectal Death Alert posted:

mission strategem hellbombs are available near targets like that

the research station / bot jammers / Sauron eyes all have that option too but can also be destroyed with 500kgs. I think those fuel tanks are the only buildings that require the hellbomb.

They should appear near targets but don't always. It's a big gently caress you sometimes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can still kill chargers with a single mech missile to the leg and like half a second of minigun fire

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

deep dish peat moss posted:

You can still kill chargers with a single mech missile to the leg and like half a second of minigun fire

Chargers feel balanced to fight now, headshot like in HD1 or leg shot + some extra work. They should begin to re-up the frequency of them. EATs are huge value in this environment.

Mech EMS mortar and both sets of mines are great on the TCS defense missions. If you run mech you don't necessarily need an anti-tank as you use the mech on the first and the 3rd + extract sections and you'll get lots of value. Mines on the chokes are great, theres one spot on a tower that has a pipe choke point on the north side that you can completely shut off with mines. On the map variant that has the towers separated on like "islands".

I do wish they QA'd these missions a bit though theres lots of geometry thats not fully solid, one of the ramps up to the activation buttons especially which is awkward. Also would have liked if activating the tower hindered the bug presence for the end of the mission.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jerkface posted:

They should begin to re-up the frequency of them.

I've seen about as many if not more chargers after the patch so you're in luck.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I feel like chargers with their butts blown off are dying faster too, but it's been so long I'm not sure.

e: also maybe it's a case of the bads but I swear the slugger was better against hunters.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

e: also maybe it's a case of the bads but I swear the slugger was better against hunters.

you've gotta get a solid hit on them and hunters tend to make that difficult

also i'm like 90% sure they stealth buffed their ai a patch or two ago, they're a lot more aggressive than i remember them being closer to launch

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I'm on the EATs bandwagon now, got my first cinematic "kill the charger with a headshot and the corpse skids and stops at your feet" moment and I'm sold. Then I went on to pop a bile titan with two EATs to the face nice and easy like. I agree the chargers feel pretty balanced now, I still find it weird that they decided to make their armored heads more killable than their plump asses that beg for munitions but w/e it's fun! I just need to remember to pick up my other support weapon after using EATs, I almost died twice when trying to switch to my support weapon and realizing it's not there!

Also don't sleep on the Punisher shotgun, it chews up hunters and stalkers easy. It also seems good at finding gaps in the brood commander's armor, and even if it doesn't manage to kill them it can literally push them backwards away from you to at least get them out of your face.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 13, 2024

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I don't know if it's a latency thing or maybe I need to reverify game files, I'm having a lot of strange behaviour from objects when killed / destroyed. It's extremely noticeable with the bot carrier ships, once I land a killing blow on one of their engines, they don't drop down, they teleport offscreen and fly in for a 2nd time and then explode in the sky and clip down to the ground. It's very immersion breaking. Same with bugs or robots, when I kill them, 80% of the time they'll do some weird teleporting antics or stretching.

I'm thinking it's rubberbanding of some sort and I want to force-lock my region so I play in the Middle East rather than connecting to Europe or Asia servers. Is this possible? I read online the game is P2P so I might just start hosting my own games, if that would help?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 13, 2024

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like I really want a 5th stratagem, what are people bringing to their helldives these days? I'm feeling like I should bum a backpack or weapon off a teammate's extra cooldown to save a slot, if I can trust them to call it down.

My default vs bugs:
Slugger (though with the spawn changes I'm considering either breaker or defender again)
Redeemer
HE grenade (the one with the longest fuse, for Kobe-ing bugholes from a distance)
Spear
Gatling sentry
Eagle airstrike
Gas/500/AC sentry/whatever else I'm feeling

Bots:
Scorcher
Redeemer
Impact grenades
Spear
Orbital Laser
380 barrage
AC sentry/Smoke/EMS/nothing if it's blocked

I love the spear, and generally have decent luck avoiding the lock issues. I also really like stealthing around, focusing on objectives while my squadmates are going loud nearby.

Versus bugs, that manifests as sprinting around/through nests closing holes with grenades and airstrikes, then disengaging using terrain. Priority targets are pouncers, hunters, and bile spewers (if they're close to where you need to be, they don't chase very well), the rest can generally be juked and outrun. Gatling sentry is for fighting off swarms of hunters, drawing attention as I retreat, or covering objectives. Spear is usually reserved for bile titans or chargers that are after squadmates who can't deal with them. Try waiting until a breach is triggered elsewhere before going into medium or large nests.

Against bots, the name of the game is avoidance. The spear really shines here: if it feels like cooperating with you, it can lock onto hulks, tanks, cannon towers, and fabricators. You can destroy most bot outposts from 200+ meters away with a clear view without a shot of return fire. Some secondary objectives also have a connected fab and will explode with it, as opposed to fighting your way in, disabling the jammer, then calling down and arming a hellbomb. 380 barrage can wipe a large base out, or at least make it easy pickings for cleanup, while orbital laser can clean up most objectives by itself. I'm warming up on Eagle smoke, it can help a lot with disengaging from a bad fight or covering friends. Scorcher is generally good vs bots (careful of melee enemies, use the machine pistol for them), and two-tapping walker pilots from the front is a godsend. Also, the scorcher and impact nades will both damage most/all vent weakpoints, hulk, tank, tower or secondary objective.

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 13, 2024

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Purchased a cool looking heavy armour out of the store just recently and I think it's the first time I've consistently run something that has a 'increased resistance to explosive damage' perk which I feel has definitely saved me a few times in fights against bots. Shots from enemies who launch rockets tend to almost kill me instead of definitely kill me. I've noticed that you still run a little bit faster when sprinting with zero stamina, and thank god it's not the type of game that makes you stop moving to rest, or prevents you from performing certain actions - I can still stim or reload while diving in heavy armour even without stamina.

I very often bring a supply pack in my loadout, because I find that it's useful to be able to resupply everything for myself whenever I need it. As long as the team brings in good anti armour weapons and stratagems, it's also good to be able to give them more ammo during fights, and I can just drop myself another pack instead of using the normal resupply.

My offensive stratagems are usually eagle airstrike, orbital laser or 500kg bomb, and lately I've been trying the 120mm barrage more since it's been tightened up a bit, then depending on the objective I might bring a sentry turret - So it's usually 1 or 2 bombing/orbital strikes, a weapon + backpack and a sentry of some kind.

Qubee posted:

I don't know if it's a latency thing or maybe I need to reverify game files, I'm having a lot of strange behaviour from objects when killed / destroyed. It's extremely noticeable with the bot carrier ships, once I land a killing blow on one of their engines, they don't drop down, they teleport offscreen and fly in for a 2nd time and then explode in the sky and clip down to the ground.

I've read that the animation for a dead drop ship is actually a completely new one. The first one disappears and drops all of the bots it carries, then a new wreck appears from off screen falling to the ground from where it was killed.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 13, 2024

Qubee
May 31, 2013

TheMostFrench posted:

I've read that the animation for a dead drop ship is actually a completely new one. The first one disappears and drops all of the bots it carries, then a new wreck appears from off screen falling to the ground from where it was killed.

It's really bugging out for me. The wrecked version off screen shows itself flying in and then rubberbands like mad before slamming into the ground and exploding.

I'm going to take a recording cause I just watched some youtube clips and it's so clean and normal compared to my explosions.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Qubee posted:

It's really bugging out for me. The wrecked version off screen shows itself flying in and then rubberbands like mad before slamming into the ground and exploding.

I'm going to take a recording cause I just watched some youtube clips and it's so clean and normal compared to my explosions.

it's a known bug, i think it even got called out specifically in the last patch notes

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
i encourage you all to try the Breaker Spray and Pray on bug missions - my prior criticisms were because it couldn't deal with any armor whatsoever, but since the slider got tweaked and half the chargers were replaced by soft, numerous, winged fucks they're easily torn apart by it. I run the Senator Revolver as a backup against Brood Commanders.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Not at the computer right now, but is there a vision range in the options I'm not aware of? The amount of missions against bots where I have visability > 75m seems low compared to the number of people* saying snipe em from 200m out. Idk, I can't see poo poo, almost every mission is a thick haze that rarely lifts.

*not here on SA specifically.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Eediot Jedi posted:

Not at the computer right now, but is there a vision range in the options I'm not aware of? The amount of missions against bots where I have visability > 75m seems low compared to the number of people* saying snipe em from 200m out. Idk, I can't see poo poo, almost every mission is a thick haze that rarely lifts.

Theres only 3 available bot planets right now and the one 90% of people are on is Draupnir, a particularly drab bit of scottish countryside with constant fog and heavy rain. Not being able to see anything is very common.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I typically go with:

2x Anti-horde stratagems
1x Support weapon
1x Fill what I think the team might need

I find most of the times my team actually dies or has trouble it isn't from chargers or hulks or tanks, its from many devastators scattered 50m away spamming rockets, a wedge of shield devastators covering something else and getting close, or clumps of spitters + medium bugs, so I lean much more on horde clear than anti-armor (because I find most random public players bring 2x anti-armor stratagems, your mileage may vary). I don't find any of the backpacks as impactful as a second anti-horde stratagem so I don't default to bringing them, I'll mooch a 2nd shield or supply pack if someone has one but it isn't a high priority for me.

For anti-horde, I usually choose from orbital airburst / orbital gas / orbital gatling / tesla tower (bugs only, shield devastators can easily tank and destroy it and rocket devastators trivially smash it from a distance) / gatling sentry / HMG emplacement. You could use eagle airstrike or strafing or clusters if you like, I just slightly prefer the orbitals, I feel like the round scatter is better than the wide lines of eagles (and less teamkills).

For support weapon, I like arc thrower, machine gun, laser cannon, grenade launcher against both factions. Flamethrower sometimes against bugs, AMR sometimes against bots, I haven't messed with autocannon much but I know a lot of people like that too. I haven't had problems with the spear and use it against bugs if I feel my team is lacking in anti heavy armor.

Fourth slot I pick anti-heavy if I feel like my team is lacking it, usually eagle rocket pods for bots or EATs for bugs. I also pick some other stuff to combo with my other stratagems here, I like shield pack with flamethrower to not get slowed or light self on fire less, supply pack with grenade launcher for maximum grenade spam (then replace 1x anti-horde with anti-heavy). I'd probably bring the mech here often, I felt like it was pretty good from testing it when it was free. Sometimes I use shield generator against bots, jetpack against bugs, whatever I feel like messing with goes here.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Eediot Jedi posted:

You can set your scope range for first person view on certain weapons, yeah. On PC it's hold reload and use mouse wheel up to change them.

But also yeah the haze can be intentional.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Did a Helldive TCS ignition where for each tower there would be a breach sequence with 3 bile titans spawning. The kicker? Once we activated the TCS there were no bugs spawning anywhere on the map and we simply hugged at extract and looked across the Freedom-blasted wasteland in silence until Pelican-1 came to take us home. Looks like the TCS works, wrap it up Bug-ailures.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Jerkface posted:

Did a Helldive TCS ignition where for each tower there would be a breach sequence with 3 bile titans spawning. The kicker? Once we activated the TCS there were no bugs spawning anywhere on the map and we simply hugged at extract and looked across the Freedom-blasted wasteland in silence until Pelican-1 came to take us home. Looks like the TCS works, wrap it up Bug-ailures.

wow way to jinx it

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

-snip-

Helldivers 2 gang tag giveaway has ended.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 14, 2024

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Mode 7 posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: HELLDIVERS 2 THREAD GANG TAGS :siren: :siren: :siren:

If you want this gangtag:

1) Quote this post within the next 24 hours or so, cutoff time will be 14/03/24 9am UTC (you can of course buy the gang tag for yourself at any point, this is just for the freebies)

2) If you already have the max amount of gang tags (3) please tell me which one to remove to make room in your quote post.

Gang me please :)

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

Mode 7 posted:

1) Quote this post within the next 24 hours or so, cutoff time will be 14/03/24 9am UTC (you can of course buy the gang tag for yourself at any point, this is just for the freebies)

2) If you already have the max amount of gang tags (3) please tell me which one to remove to make room in your quote post.

Brand me with glorious democracy.

Kitty Fantastico
Nov 26, 2005

Mode 7 posted:

Tag me up for liberty.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Mode 7 posted:

I'll take a tag, sure!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Mode 7 posted:

Pls tag me dady

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Mode 7 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

gang gang