Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Most of our documentation consists of video recordings of presentations. I have no idea why anyone would think this is the best way to instruct how to submit a software support request. I just needed the email address, but the one given in the presentation isn't even in use any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I work for the largest company in the world for what they do. I've bitched about the sorry state of their IT dept in this thread before.

Yesterday I go to do a very simple thing, output what a small business has on rent with us. This is out of DOS system and is maybe 30 lines of information, because I didn't want to hamfist two screenshots into an email. I output this to my email at 10:49. Normally I'd see something in my email about 15 seconds later. It shows up at 10:58, the Outlook email timestamp says 06:27, the report itself says 12:24. I quietly gathered everything and sent it to the IT dept in case this was indicative of other problems. This system in the past 5 months has gone down for multiple days at a time, and as of late has gotten noticeably slower to perform things.

IT decided having the Outlook team call me and shrug their shoulders was the best they could do. Can't wait for the program to poo poo the bed again!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Most of our documentation consists of video recordings of presentations. I have no idea why anyone would think this is the best way to instruct how to submit a software support request. I just needed the email address, but the one given in the presentation isn't even in use any more.

Time to invoke the magic word "accessibility" and suggest transcripts

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Imagine being a theoretically functional human being, spending more the five minutes researching how to do something on the internet, encountering a you-tube how-to and thinking 'yes, this is a great format for simple step by step procedures'.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
The thing is that a video is fuckjng easy one you have the hardware. Setup the phone, hit record, upload with little or no editing.

Actual how-to documentation takes things like competent writing, editing, photography, and actually understanding what is going on.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

What does this mean you can't just make up words

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
A video is great if you have to do something physical and concrete, like for example replacing a relay in a car that requires some light disassembly of the surrounding components. It's garbage if the entire content of the video is just a simple article that you could read in a few minutes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
A garbage 0 budget video is instantly useful to someone. Hopefully that someone is technical writer or video editor making a real product, but, well, budgets.

A garbage 0 budget procedure or narrative is useless.

In other news corporate has hot tips for me running a boring meeting about the latest rewording of our corporate values.

quote:

Bring en element of fun into the discussion by gamifying the experience and making it social.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Darkest Auer posted:

A video is great if you have to do something physical and concrete, like for example replacing a relay in a car that requires some light disassembly of the surrounding components. It's garbage if the entire content of the video is just a simple article that you could read in a few minutes.

I'm in a training right now on DPAS ratings and how to handle them and the presenter started recording, announcing that this will be loaded to the Compliance site afterwards for everyone's information. The presentation he's reading verbatim? That will stay on his hard drive. This poo poo keeps happening, like the company decided to pivot to video like we're a website in 2009 and not one of the largest companies in our industry. Any time I need a refresher on something it's "click through the timeline of this video for ten minutes until we get to what you need" experiences.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Loudly interrupt the presenter every minute or so to ask an insane question and ruin the recording.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

The thing is that a video is fuckjng easy one you have the hardware. Setup the phone, hit record, upload with little or no editing.

Actual how-to documentation takes things like competent writing, editing, photography, and actually understanding what is going on.

In this case none of that is necessary because we just touch computers to design stuff other people build. It's easier to write a guide with some screenshots than to prepare a presentation.

Now that I've given it a thought, I realized every time we identify a need for training or documentation, the solution is invariably "Let's have [person who knows stuff] come do a presentation." which is the logical step up from 20 years ago when the company was 1/10 its current size and documentation was "go ask [person who knows stuff]"

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Barudak posted:

I have received now a fourth deck for this tea ceremony. I have more documentation on this than what my company does.

This one is Emergency Responses Guideline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMFFlF0xdI8

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

In non-video presentation as training news, I was about a minute away from telling my boss' boss that I need him to get me off the purchasing beat when he called me earlier today about a different topic. That was supposed to happen at the start of the year, but the logical group that should inherit my responsibilities has pushed back stating that it's not in their interest to take over this sort of thing. I'm a Manager level employee and this should be done by someone fresh out of college to cut their teeth, if not multiple people. I get that it was complete anarchy when I started the task, but I've provided structure, established a formal request and tracking system and created instructions for whoever takes over (likely two to three people taking turns). This should be easy for several full time Buyers to absorb and I was promised I would transition off the task in weeks, not months when the reorg became official. So far this year I've issued 211 purchase orders. In nine months last year I issued 530, extrapolated out that's about 765 orders in a year for 2023. By the same logic, I'm on track for 1,000+ orders for 2024. That's more than any two people in this company would see in a year combined.

The major issue is that I have actual goals. I got involved in a crisis this week and put my stamp on it so hard that a manufacturer shipped material to my vendor with the ATTN: line being my name. I'm more capable of solving difficult scenarios than almost anyone on our team, but I'm relegated to issuing orders and occasionally providing insight on things I didn't know were problems where I should be solving those problems full time so they don't become crisises.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have learned the head boss at my company has a private windowless meeting room that connects only through the back of their office behind their desk.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
What would you bet on actually happens back there

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Reoxygenation posted:

What would you bet on actually happens back there

Farting as loud and often as they like.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lazyfire posted:

The major issue is that I have actual goals. I got involved in a crisis this week and put my stamp on it so hard that a manufacturer shipped material to my vendor with the ATTN: line being my name. I'm more capable of solving difficult scenarios than almost anyone on our team, but I'm relegated to issuing orders and occasionally providing insight on things I didn't know were problems where I should be solving those problems full time so they don't become crisises.

You've become too valuable and non problematic in your current role. You have to make giving in to your demands less work than the status quo.

Send an email to your manager and anyone involved every time you fulfil an order, "FYI this is not supposed to be my job and I am overwhelmed, can we please discuss the timeline for my transition to xxxx", and include a calander invite.

Also straight up tell your manager that you are not happy with the situation, and if it's not resolved soon will they be willing to give you a good reference?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Outrail posted:

and include a calander invite.

That's actually annoying enough that you might get what you want there. Especially if you include the people you're purchasing the stuff for.

Your other option is to just deliver an ultimatum, "As of XXX Date I will be removing my access to the purchasing system, and as such will no longer be able, willing, or available to purchase anything for any reason. For all purchasing requests, please email Boss@conglomco.com and CC Boss' Boss Dave@conglomco.com"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Outrail posted:

Also straight up tell your manager that you are not happy with the situation, and if it's not resolved soon will they be willing to give you a good reference?

This is it right here. Refresh your resume while you’re at it and be ready to jump if they don’t take the hint.

Otherwise congrats you’re the purchasing guy now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Farting as loud and often as they like.

Thats what the private office is for. You dont need two fartatoriums

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Barudak posted:

Thats what the private office is for. You dont need two fartatoriums

I filled up my first one.
:saddumb:
:fart:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Akratic Method posted:

I filled up my first one.
:saddumb:
:fart:

I assume meetings with you are like the negotiation room at the start of The Phantom Menace

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I fart in the elevator, like a gentleman

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Barudak posted:

I have learned the head boss at my company has a private windowless meeting room that connects only through the back of their office behind their desk.

I swear to God, if this whole thing has just been a wind-up for the last couple years...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Videos as tutorials are really annoying a lot of the time and with a video editing program like premiere it's basically unavoidable. Really has kept me from doing anything more than the bare minimum in it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

At an old branch, a VIP office had a hidden door that opened to a private bathroom. There was a coat hook on the wall that lower then normal, and you had to pull and slightly turn it and surprise, bathroom.

That office was in an unused part of the building though, so now used it, and only a few people even knew it was there. When that part of the building was in use, the person who had that office never used it, as it didn't have a very good fan and opening the door would waft right into the office.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My boss has gotten really bad lately about not answering direct questions.

'Employee A needs to temporarily modify his working hours over the next three weeks to accommodate child pickup. I have no objection but would like your consent so I can let him know before I WORK OUT OF COUNTRY ALL NEXT WEEK’

*crickets*

Anyway I go to Canada and never having heard no, Employee A starts coming in 45 minutes later.

I get back from Canada and find one of my go getter peers had run an automated report on attendance and Employee A got flagged for a bunch of attendance violations and boss wants to know why I haven’t written him up. I remind boss what I had previously asked him, he sits on that until today and Finally says 'no accommodation’

Factional politics at work may have him feeling low, his BFF got fired after a very brief investigation. That aside though his failure to make a decision two weeks ago until I reminded him yesterday means he still had to make the decision and now unless I go over his head and get some approval from higher up I’ll have to write this guy up which I deeply don’t want to do.*

Here’s another few direct questions he’s currently not answering:

This CAPA has nothing to do with our department and somehow I got assigned to us, will you pursue getting it reassigned or do you want me to do that?

I see you scheduled our monthly 1v1 on a day I am not scheduled to work. When do you want to reschedule that to?

*I dunno maybe I should do the guy a solid by firing him so he can draw unemployment while he finds someplace that isn’t so chickenshit to work at

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Protect your person, you gotta escalate that this is unacceptable.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Being forced to talk to people whose english is so bad that they don't understand what I am saying and I don't understand what they are writing. I can't believe these people work in sales.

I was also given an attached file with a manual that would explain in detail and answer all my questions. I recognize this, I wrote that manual...

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 13, 2024

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

CitizenKain posted:

At an old branch, a VIP office had a hidden door that opened to a private bathroom. There was a coat hook on the wall that lower then normal, and you had to pull and slightly turn it and surprise, bathroom.

That's not a bathroom, it's a hidden sex dungeon.

Today I got written up for swearing too much at work. I'm not swearing at people, just Microsoft, outlook and a lack of information.

I need to start using some words instead of swear words. So far I've got "Blast", "Ugh", "Curses" and "Drat". I fear these might be too harsh though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

swear in another language, how about PERKELE!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Barudak posted:

Protect your person, you gotta escalate that this is unacceptable.

Yeah what the gently caress, this decision was made retroactively and he thought he had the ok. Your boss is being a petty fuckhead penalizing someone who did absolutely nothing wrong, just because he has the power to do so - all because he's in a bad mood?

This isn't a baby playing with toys and harmlessly letting his emotions out, this is someone's life this guy is loving with. You need to go over your boss's head about this one.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Me cago en la leche de Microsoft.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bartlesnaps is my go to nonsense curse for the office because it sounds like it should be something lurid and offensive to some old time prospector

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

His Divine Shadow posted:

You can’t tabernak say that at work

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Honestly I don't get policing language, seems like the management needs to be brought down to earth.

I called my boss a c-nt* once when things got heated, it's one of the few perks about working here that I can get pissed and yell at my boss.

*equivalent level curse in my language

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lol at people mad at words. id understand it if you were cursing AT someone, but at my office the running gag is pretty much they can tell how bad the screw up by how far they can hear the word gently caress boom from outside my office.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I used to work for an MSP where most staff were working class Scots. The language in the office was... colourful.
This could get awkward when customers could hear the conversations going on behind me.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My boss called me a big dumb loser last week, and this week I said he was a huge fuckin nerd lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I had a boss who once emailed a supplier to complain, verbatim, that their system was less stable than his ex-wife.