Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

something seems off about that.. there's no way they got him walking around with those things is there? looking at them I'm surprised the guy can even stand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Would love to see him goose stepping on those things

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Homeless Friend posted:

got legs like a lawn chair

Finest quality prosthetics.

Finest quality.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Kotyn Hyll

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Honky Mao posted:

Would love to see him goose stepping on those things

SS waffen penguin waddle.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Starsfan posted:

something seems off about that.. there's no way they got him walking around with those things is there? looking at them I'm surprised the guy can even stand

its made up OP

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
you wouldn't catch such a soldier dead without their totenkopfs

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

picture looks extremely ai generated lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

picture looks extremely ai generated lol

this one isn't

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

"Planners thought that once the first Russian defense lines were breached, the entire front would collapse [...] These fundamental preliminary phases were conducted without considering the moral forces of the enemy in defense: that is, the will of the Russian soldier to hold onto the terrain".

The thread put more thought into this than NATO staff officers

me, a simple history and dialectics enjoyer, with a cursory reading of Russian military history: so these guys who famously burned down their quasi-sacred capital against Napoleon to keep fighting then much later also held out Leningrad and Stalingrad, mmm seems to me that they aren't the types to go down as chumps

the professionally paid nato military expert/bureaucrat: of course the russians will disintegrate like bad tissue paper against a fire hose, inherent western superiority is undeniable, backhand blow

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
yeah but the Ukraine cannon is that Russia collapsed around Kiev, Kharkiv and Kherson and unfortunately the NATO planners seem like they were reading twitter more than they were reading history books

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I killed fiddy orcs

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Homeless Friend posted:

this one isn't

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dead gay comedy forums posted:

me, a simple history and dialectics enjoyer, with a cursory reading of Russian military history: so these guys who famously burned down their quasi-sacred capital against Napoleon to keep fighting then much later also held out Leningrad and Stalingrad, mmm seems to me that they aren't the types to go down as chumps

the professionally paid nato military expert/bureaucrat: of course the russians will disintegrate like bad tissue paper against a fire hose, inherent western superiority is undeniable, backhand blow

It's almost like they thought it was some kind of rotten structure, perhaps one that would collapse with one swift kick

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It's a bit demoralizing to be ruled by such utter loving morons as we are if I'm completely honest.

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
extra embarrassing for the German elites, making the same mistakes again

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
knowing how many of my people those bastards killed... over time I've realized I'm too level headed. I really should get furious anyone tries to smooth over the nazis and what they did. Canada's government applauding one is just an incredibly black smear on a dark few decades

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

"Planners thought that once the first Russian defense lines were breached, the entire front would collapse [...] These fundamental preliminary phases were conducted without considering the moral forces of the enemy in defense: that is, the will of the Russian soldier to hold onto the terrain".

The thread put more thought into this than NATO staff officers

Could really do with some of that consultant grade salary

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

dead gay comedy forums posted:

Moscow wasn't the capital during Napoleon's invasion, it was St. Petersburg at the time. Moscow became the capital (again) after the Soviets won the revolution.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

yeah but the Ukraine cannon is that Russia collapsed around Kiev, Kharkiv and Kherson and unfortunately the NATO planners seem like they were reading twitter more than they were reading history books

Yeah, you still hear how great those victories were when in reality, Kiev and Kharkiv had fairly minimal fighting before Russian troops withdrew and the Ukrainians actually took heavy casualties around Kherson.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/26509818/ukrainian-soldiers-brit-challenger-2-tanks-russia/

The Sun is reporting half of the 14 Challenger 2s given to Ukraine are out of the fight.

1 has been reserved for training new crews.

1 was destroyed by a Lancet drone.

5 have broken down and there's no spare parts to fix them. In addition some tank crews have been sent to the front to dig trenches for the infantry.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
overengineered tanks falling apart on the eastern front due to lack of spare parts and proper maintenance you say

now where have i heard that one before?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I also remember also seeing a video of a second Challenger 2 being destroyed as well. I wonder how many of the Abrams tanks are still operation at this point as well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

I also remember also seeing a video of a second Challenger 2 being destroyed as well. I wonder how many of the Abrams tanks are still operation at this point as well.

Divisions worth! Of between one tank and a higher number.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Cool. You'd think the drooling morons in Brussels and Washington and Paris, faced with all this overwhelming evidence, would be advising surrender in line with Comrade The Pope in order to stop the killing in this unwinnable war

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Hits too close to home. You have to move heaven and hell for a fellowship that pays like $5000 / mo with $250 / mo for books.

skill issue

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

OhFunny posted:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/26509818/ukrainian-soldiers-brit-challenger-2-tanks-russia/

The Sun is reporting half of the 14 Challenger 2s given to Ukraine are out of the fight.

1 has been reserved for training new crews.

1 was destroyed by a Lancet drone.

5 have broken down and there's no spare parts to fix them. In addition some tank crews have been sent to the front to dig trenches for the infantry.

No wonder its so hard to spot one.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Ardennes posted:

The article states two others were damaged, but have since been repaired.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
someone alert gradenko

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

my bony fealty posted:

so which SS brigade did dear granddad serve in

https://twitter.com/rshereme/status/1625101774020386817

OUN

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
we live in an age of political grandpas

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Homeless Friend posted:

someone alert gradenko

Good news men, you're digging it out by hand.

"We sank it turret deep in mud, but that's a good thing."

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
poo poo it turns out the Russians can shoot back from 4.5 km away

this poo poo is crazy

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Is Case Western Reserve considered a good university? Because it would be loving embarrassing to have someone like this on hand imo.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
Western tanks actually fight well in hulldown positions, dumb tankies don't even realize how smart it is to get stuck in the mud up to the turret.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
they mosaic'd the political bits on the tank lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

January 6 Survivor posted:

Western tanks actually fight well in hulldown positions, dumb tankies don't even realize how smart it is to get stuck in the mud up to the turret.

beat me to this joke

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
the tank is shielded by holy ukrainian soil, and is therefore absolutely invincible

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

January 6 Survivor posted:

The whole hulldown thing was stupid even back in the 80s, one of the key features of a tank is mobility and you sacrifice that in a potential battlefield where there would have been a ton of CAS/artillery/ATGMs flying around. It is even worse now with drones.

I would say the real mistake the Soviets/Russians made with the T-72/90 is reserve speed, which was a result of trying to maximize their forward gears for rapid advances. It is fixable (the Czech put in a different transmission), but it is a doctrinal remnant. The T-80 has a acceptable(ish) reserve speed and perhaps why the Russians are talking about building new models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

British tactics during the Cold War was literally to turn their tanks into bunkers on the North German Plain and either sit still, or drive slowly backwards while shooting at the bazillion T-72s that would be thundering towards them