Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It turns out that replacing your worst defenseman with an extremely good defenseman helps a lot! It sucks that Mitts is gone but Byram appears to be just as good and now they can play Krebs more minutes in a more offensive role. Also playing Girgensens with Thompson and Tuch has worked somehow? And Greenway-Cozens-Benson have done really well. Crazy things are happening in Buffalo.

Is the "meaningless late season run" really that crazy for Buffalo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It turns out that replacing your worst defenseman with an extremely good defenseman helps a lot! It sucks that Mitts is gone but Byram appears to be just as good and now they can play Krebs more minutes in a more offensive role. Also playing Girgensens with Thompson and Tuch has worked somehow? And Greenway-Cozens-Benson have done really well. Crazy things are happening in Buffalo.

Girgensons has always shown flashes of being more than shutdown 4th liner (always scoring against the Pens)
He's never come close to it but he'd be like the least surprising player to come out of nowhere and put up 40 points one year, at least to me

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

Canucks are a tragic/heartbreaking franchise worthy of many laughs over the years, but in a six-team league I'm sure they'd have won at least a few by accident.

Both the Bruins and the Rangers didn't win a cup during the Original Six era so I'm not so sure about that

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Is the "meaningless late season run" really that crazy for Buffalo?

Excuse me sir, you are clearly not familiar with THE CHART

https://x.com/cmdedominicis/status/1767726014409400549?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: Detroit hasn’t won a game in two weeks, they’re 0-6-0 in that time. Seems bad!

Red Wings fans begging to get off the PDO Pendulum sponsored by Priority

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/26DEWAR/status/1767699198617571793

Hell ya

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
:siren: goalie scrap goalie scrap

https://x.com/producerdrew_/status/1767746433937965309?s=46&t=M1v0104mu8Y4ldpII8R_rQ

pars
Sep 7, 2011
I have to say the Wings picked a perfect time to add a trash company to their jerseys.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Bard Maddox posted:

literally more a conversation than a fight, Gibson just wanted to hit the showers early

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Lots of Canadians root for whoever’s still in from Canada, but they’re all filthy casuals and you’ll never see those opinions from posters who are naturally antagonistic

Vancouver fans will remember a lot of things about 2011, but not least of which was the "Canada's team" bullshit that plagued the rest of the country during the finals.

gently caress every other canadian team to varying degrees. Except habs, you're still cool.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Jehde posted:

Vancouver fans will remember a lot of things about 2011, but not least of which was the "Canada's team" bullshit that plagued the rest of the country during the finals.

I remember Mike Works made a really heartfelt effort post before Game 7 that year about how much he loved the Canucks and how much a win would mean to him. Really putting his heart in to it and expressing what we as fans feel. Legitimately good stuff.

And then mennoknight replied something like, "hey, man that was great. you really captured the spirit of the thing and changed how I feel about Vancouver lol jk gently caress the Canucks forever."

A perfect one two punch of heart and then snark.

Probably my favorite posts in the 15+ years I've been reading these NHL threads.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bard Maddox posted:

Wow. Such passion and teamwork, these must be two of the top teams in the league.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

DancingMachine posted:

It's weird to me that Canadian teams root against each other. Shouldn't they stand in solidarity against teams winning the cup in places where it's 80 degrees in December?

I'd rather see covid shut the league down again then cheer for another Canadian team :canada:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Somehow this is also Jacob Trouba's fault

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

pars posted:

I have to say the Wings picked a perfect time to add a trash company to their jerseys.

The Curse of the Trash Patch is real

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I hope for nothing but failure for Patrick Kane.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/DimFilipovic/status/1767728909666373947?t=TVMt8yyTLrViGyQKGED8Sw&s=19

:stonklol:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

For the last 15 years, i thought the hockey Gods were Gods of vengeance and spite and ignore my prayers.

Now I see it just took 15 years for my prayers to be processed.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

gently caress the Penguins. But goddamn, not like this.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

gently caress the Penguins. But goddamn, not like this.

The rivalries aren't fun if everyone sucks brutal amounts of rear end :(

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I am perfectly ok with the Penguins sucking massive amounts of rear end now that the playoffs are off the table.

Bring on Celebrini baby

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The fanbase of whatever Canadian team actually wins will be completely insufferable. Anyone cheering for a Canadian team other than their own hasn't thought through the consequences of having to live with other Canadians.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

pseudodragon posted:

The fanbase of whatever Canadian team actually wins will be completely insufferable. Anyone cheering for a Canadian team other than their own hasn't thought through the consequences of having to live with other Canadians.

What Canadian team will actually win though? All the Oilers and Leafs do is choke and the Jets are the Jets.

fake edit: Lol I forgot the Canucks were even in the playoffs and also really good apparently. I'm so checked out this season with how poo poo the Pens are. Maybe the Canucks will make the finals and riot again

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I realize they aren't what they were at the height of their powers, but holy hell that's kind of impressive

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

how/why did this even escalate

there was nothing here

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

:laffo: good

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Canucks are awesome and definitely not riding unsustainable sh% and sh% against and everything's gonna be awesome forever. There is absolutely no way they'll follow the Devils' lead and go right back to being the Canucks next year.

The Penguins have quit on the season. Even Crosby's just floating around out there and that's something I never thought I'd see from him. I dunno why they don't just shut him and EK down for the rest of the year at this point. They're already fully into the tank for this year and intend to try to contend again next year, why risk serious injury to them?

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 13, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

how/why did this even escalate

there was nothing here

It feels like one of those cases where poo poo just built up across the entire game and one minor hit in the third (like here) caused everyone to drop the gloves. I didn't actually watch the game so I can't confirm that, but usually it's foreshadowed by a real chippy second and guys starting to get into it in the third (and indeed there's already people in the angry men box in that clip).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Canucks are awesome and definitely not riding unsustainable sh% and sh% against and everything's gonna be awesome forever. There is absolutely no way they'll follow the Devils' lead and go right back to being the Canucks next year.

Regression to the mean takes too loving long.

Anywau I predict that the Cup winner will be the team riding the hottest goalie(s).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Regression to the mean takes too loving long.

Anywau I predict that the Cup winner will be the team riding the hottest goalie(s).

The team riding a hot goalie is almost always the Cup Finals loser

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
God drat Mackinnon is an absolute beast this year... also the Avs dropped 5 on the Flames in the second period and I think they were literally packing up before the 3rd period even started.

The Pens/Flames battle for top 8 will be dull and uninteresting and I'm here for it. Was also hoping Montreal could go on a little bit of a tear, but -46 goal differential probably indicates otherwise

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Powershift posted:

Wow. Such passion and teamwork, these must be two of the top teams in the league.
Can you imagine if they meet in the playoffs?!?!!?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Yeah the Flames look like a team who's in for a rough few years. They have a handful of contracts that aren't bad for a team looking to win right now, and doesn't care what they look like a few years from now. But they are miles away from competing and their prospect pool seems kind of middling.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Everyone always says this but the last few cup winners have ranged from every white guy at the grocery store to ugly as sin.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Alright where's the brawl

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Yeah it owns. Sullivan has basically recreated a worse version of Carolina and Dubas has stocked the team with some incredibly bad finishers. Also they refuse to let EK just do EK things and play EK sportsball. Dreary grinding hockey that doesn't score. One of the worst possibilities out of this season would be doing well on the draft lotto and holding onto the first they owe SJS.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Misanthrope posted:

The Pens/Flames battle for top 8 will be dull and uninteresting and I'm here for it. Was also hoping Montreal could go on a little bit of a tear, but -46 goal differential probably indicates otherwise

Also Huberdeau still has time to continue his streak of scoring double digit goals on the season, a remarkable feat.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Simplex posted:

Yeah the Flames look like a team who's in for a rough few years. They have a handful of contracts that aren't bad for a team looking to win right now, and doesn't care what they look like a few years from now. But they are miles away from competing and their prospect pool seems kind of middling.

Yup, I think the goal is to have a somewhat competitive team on the upswing for when the new arena opens in 3 or 4 years... Management keeps saying "retool" as opposed to rebuild because rebuild is a forbidden word in most Canadian markets, but I think they're going to be really bad next year, especially if Markstrom is dealt in the offseason.

Carver posted:

Also Huberdeau still has time to continue his streak of scoring double digit goals on the season, a remarkable feat.

:sigh: ... he's been "better" in 2024, but I don't know that there's a worse contract in the league... maybe PLD? loving Treliving...

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Load bearing Guentzel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Misanthrope posted:

:sigh: ... he's been "better" in 2024, but I don't know that there's a worse contract in the league... maybe PLD? loving Treliving...

PLD is the worst contract, but Huberdeau was the worst trade.

Vlasic's is in contention, but he "only" has 2 seasons after this one.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 13, 2024