Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

The hardest part of bidding for anything in games is valuation. Evaluating how much VP to bid for a faction at the start of the game even semi-accurately would be nearly impossible without a reference document with tons of data (to say nothing of the effect of any modular setup). It's a fools errand.

I'm not a TM/TM-like player but I don't see how the auction matters unless it's people that are well versed in the game anyways, who would have a better understanding of the VP value of each race/seating position. If you're not good enough, just draft races (the original rules iirc) and once you get good enough you can do the auction if you feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

taser rates posted:

once you get good enough you can do the auction if you feel like it.

My point is that even if you're good enough at the game for faction balance to matter, knowing how to value factions in terms of VP is incredibly difficult. I don't think anyone suggests VP auctioning factions for casual players.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 12, 2024

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

tbh if my first exposure to TM was through playing with experienced enough players to require a VP auction it'd put me off of it too. I learned those games collectively with my group and none of us are even close to knowing the games enough to warrant such an auction (yet).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

silvergoose posted:

HT *bangs on table* HT!!!

Some people just really don't want to be a German accountant, what a bunch of idiots

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

FulsomFrank posted:

What did they screw up in the expansion?? Also, what's unbalanced in base game or are you referring to the "do one of these two openers or else you will almost certainly lose" situation?

Yeah, but they went a bit further in the expansion and tried to make 3 openers viable, and include signposting in the game that you should do one of the three openers! (Good step forward)

Except one of the openers is definitely unplayable bad (LOL) and one of them is maybe too good.

Encouraging newbies to do 1 of three openers and then making one of them a trap option is awful, awful design.

Aramoro posted:

I give him a pass on Wingspan as they really just published that one, making GBS threads eggs isn't unbalanced just boring.

If Jamie had designed it then it would be asymmetrical and one faction wound be better at egg making GBS threads.

I actually think Jamie is a good designer, (and he's god tier at other things, like selecting designs and pushing them into the market. Does anyone have more evergreen games in their portfolio as a % than him?) he's just an awful developer. You can see how a great developer could take the half baked stuff and bake it a bit longer and get a good game out of it.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 12, 2024

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Pretty sure only Scythe and Wingspan have hit that status, with most of their releases getting mild reception from even the loyal fans that pay for the privilege.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I actually think Jamie is a good designer, (and he's god tier at other things, like selecting designs and pushing them into the market. Does anyone have more evergreen games in their portfolio as a % than him?) he's just an awful developer. You can see how a great developer could take the half baked stuff and bake it a bit longer and get a good game out of it.

I actually had to go look up his back catalogue and it's fine I think. Like most of his games. Scythe is fine, Viticulture is fine, Euphoria is decent. Charterstone and Tapestry are actively bad. He just seems be getting worse as well Red Riding, Smitten and Rolling Realms are poor.

I might be an exception though I just don't like his signature style of a worker placement but random.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Pretty sure only Scythe and Wingspan have hit that status, with most of their releases getting mild reception from even the loyal fans that pay for the privilege.

Here are his published sales figures as of 2022

Viticulture: 234,826 units (BGG rank: 32)
Euphoria: 42,000 units (BGG rank: 529)
Between Two Cities: 52,900 units (BGG rank: 730)
Scythe: 544,102 units (BGG rank: 16)
Charterstone: 97,500 units (BGG rank: 453)
My Little Scythe: 62,500 units (BGG rank: 699)
Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig: 50,000 units (BGG rank: 647)
Wingspan: 1,690,537 units* (BGG rank: 25)
Tapestry: 84,650 units (BGG rank: 260)
Pendulum: 49,200 units (BGG rank: 3076)
Red Rising: 154,800 units (BGG rank: 883)
Rolling Realms: 43,000 units (BGG rank: 1183)
Libertalia: 61,584 units (BGG rank: 630)
Smitten: 10,000 units (BGG rank: 6976)

FWIW, I don't like literally any of these games. But I'd give Viticulture that status too, these are 2022 numbers and that's a pretty great BGG rank - it's sold something like 180k units in the last 6 years, which for a 2013 game is very strong I reckon. If BGG is right and a good royalty is 3-5% of 40% of RRP, and RRP for Viticulture is 60 USD RRP, then Vitilture would have made a 3rd party designer ~170 - 280k USD in royalties, which seems very strong. That's 21.2% evergreen including one of the biggest hits in boardgaming history, so.. overall very strong I reckon.

Aramoro posted:

I actually had to go look up his back catalogue and it's fine I think. Like most of his games. Scythe is fine, Viticulture is fine, Euphoria is decent. Charterstone and Tapestry are actively bad. He just seems be getting worse as well Red Riding, Smitten and Rolling Realms are poor.

I might be an exception though I just don't like his signature style of a worker placement but random.

To me, its crazy that these games are insanely bland and so successful, but I'm not really the target market I don't think. I think thats what makes him some sort of weird powerhouse, to take these B/C tier games and make them huge hits.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I think you can even see it within his games with something like Viticulture. Viticulture EE + Tuscany EE + Rhine Visitors essentially fixes the base game for me and while all that shouldn't have been necessary I find the result quite pleasant and enjoyable to play.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

RabidWeasel posted:

Some people just really don't want to be a German accountant, what a bunch of idiots

This goddamn game. I have played 5 times now and I still have no idea what I’m doing. I can start with 3 actions and still end with being completely clowned on

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Here are his published sales figures as of 2022

Viticulture: 234,826 units (BGG rank: 32)
Euphoria: 42,000 units (BGG rank: 529)
Between Two Cities: 52,900 units (BGG rank: 730)
Scythe: 544,102 units (BGG rank: 16)
Charterstone: 97,500 units (BGG rank: 453)
My Little Scythe: 62,500 units (BGG rank: 699)
Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig: 50,000 units (BGG rank: 647)
Wingspan: 1,690,537 units* (BGG rank: 25)
Tapestry: 84,650 units (BGG rank: 260)
Pendulum: 49,200 units (BGG rank: 3076)
Red Rising: 154,800 units (BGG rank: 883)
Rolling Realms: 43,000 units (BGG rank: 1183)
Libertalia: 61,584 units (BGG rank: 630)
Smitten: 10,000 units (BGG rank: 6976)

FWIW, I don't like literally any of these games.

You don't like Libertalia? It's great, and the SM rework fixed the biggest problem with the original game.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Jedit posted:

You don't like Libertalia? It's great, and the SM rework fixed the biggest problem with the original game.

I've not played the rework, but I didn't love it for sure. I'd play it again if people really wanted to, but wouldn't suggest it. It's better than Tapestry though.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

This is a small detail really, but if you're talking about Jamey as a designer then he didn't design Wingspan, Libertalia, Between two cities etc. His design credits are

Scythe
Viticulture
Charterstone
Tapestry
Red Rising
Smitten
Rolling Realms
Euphoria
Expeditions
Rolling Realms Redux

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
https://gamefound.com/en/projects/gf9/dune
Gale force 9 is doing a premium edition of the best dune game.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Aramoro posted:

This is a small detail really, but if you're talking about Jamey as a designer then he didn't design Wingspan, Libertalia, Between two cities etc. His design credits are

Scythe
Viticulture
Charterstone
Tapestry
Red Rising
Smitten
Rolling Realms
Euphoria
Expeditions
Rolling Realms Redux

Yeah that's my point though, he was the lead developer on Scythe, Wingspan, Viticulture, Tapestry and all those games are underbaked despite not all being designed by him. The Tapestry experience shows that he has very specific weaknesses in playtesting, development etc

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

million dollar mack posted:

This goddamn game. I have played 5 times now and I still have no idea what I’m doing. I can start with 3 actions and still end with being completely clowned on

It's a pretty tough game to do general strategy for because the winning strategy in a given game is along the lines of "do something efficient which the other players are neglecting, while also loving with the other players' strategies, but not so much that you stop doing your thing" and that is obviously very variable depending on game state.

The best advice I could give which is generally useful is: get the first action upgrade as soon as reasonably possible based on game state, but don't worry about getting to 4+ actions unless things work out to make it easy for you. Don't just play your "own strategy" but actively block other players; you want them to displace your traders and give you extra action economy. And don't ignore bonus markers, they're a strong points engine on top of giving great individual bonuses.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I played and really enjoyed Fit to Print. Thematically, you are various funny animals running a newspaper. Mechanically, the game takes Galaxy Trucker's tile-grabbing and arranging mechanic and truncates the resolution phase to turn it into a 20~ minute filler. For three rounds, players get four minutes to grab face-down tiles, all rectangles of various sizes. They bring them to their newsdesk, flip them to reveal articles, photos, and ads. They can throw back unwanted pieces, but have to do so face-up where they may be nabbed by anyone else. After they're satisfied, they use the time left to fit all of their chosen tiles onto the front page of the newspaper (a very large rectangle). Although everything is just rectangles which makes things simpler, there are a few rules about legal placement. Tiles cannot be freely rotated, and cannot be directly adjacent to another tile of the same type. When everything's done, grab a placement tile (1st to 5th).
Afterwards you check for legality and flip illegal tiles down so they do not affect scoring. Scoring is quick, but interesting. You've got about 7 conditions to think about, which is a lot to reckon with in 4 minutes. Articles score points, but are also good news or bad news. Have too much of one sort of news, and you lose points based on the imbalance. Photos score per adjacent article of the correct colour. Ads score nothing but generate $, and the player with the least $ at the end is eliminated. Unfilled space and unused tiles both lose points. Each round gets an editor's memo, players are assigned a unique character and draft a centre-piece each round, all of which adjusts the rules.
The production is really pleasing. I think funny animals is an ever-green theme, and Ian O'Toole can draw a good paparazzi fox. All of the tiles are unique and charming, the articles and ads have a lot of animal puns. The components are nicely chunky, with the newsdesk piece in particular being really solid.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

haddedam posted:

Friends sold separately :chedge::chome:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

You can't buy friends.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Ok well that's not very helpful advice for me. Can you offer me some way of playing this game? lol.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Play it solitaire with your tulpas.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Play it with the inner voices of your predecessors, Abomination!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Admiralty Flag posted:

Play it with the inner voices of your predecessors, Abomination!

lol.

I don't think this got posted yet, apologies if I missed it: ain inside look into Kickstarter's dumbass blockchain move: https://fortune.com/crypto/2024/03/11/kickstarter-blockchain-a16z-crypto-secret-investment-chris-dixon/

edit: Sorry, this wasn't paywalled a few days ago when I opened it but seems to be now.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Aramoro posted:

Red Rising

I just wanted to say I played Red Rising (i like the books) and it involves having a shared set of cards on a central board which everyone needs to be able to see, in the middle of which you're supposed to put the supply container for currency. So it blocks the view of the cards on either side from players across the table. I couldn't believe it.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
My board game group just finished our campaign of The King's Dilemma and I have to say - wow, what a ride. Would highly recommend it.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Trying to decide if I should spend $250 on a new in shrink oop game from a seller on eBay who’s only sold a handful of things or $250 on a nm one from noble knights.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

if you’re going to play it anyway, is there any real difference between them?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

haddedam posted:

I'm hype as gently caress.

Although, I'm really bummed seeing all the comments asking to 'fix' the wonky stuff in the game. The game is good 'because' of the wonky stuff, not in spite of it. It's what makes it so DUNE and not just, a game with Dune theming. What "People" want, and demand, (as seen in the gamefound comments) is the Jaime Stegmeyer version. That's what people ask for. That's why he's so popular, because "People" are idiots. (No one individual is, though.)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

!Klams posted:

Although, I'm really bummed seeing all the comments asking to 'fix' the wonky stuff in the game. The game is good 'because' of the wonky stuff, not in spite of it. It's what makes it so DUNE and not just, a game with Dune theming. What "People" want, and demand, (as seen in the gamefound comments) is the Jaime Stegmeyer version. That's what people ask for. That's why he's so popular, because "People" are idiots. (No one individual is, though.)

Owning a copy of the 2019 copy I can think of a few rules clarifications that are sorely needed. Off the dome is how the Emperor’s alliance ability is phrased. On the player sheet it only says “you share your wealth” and adds that you can pay to ship extra allied warriors to Dune. How and when do you share that wealth? Is it a communal pool of money now? I’m likely spoiled by FFG’s Rex, which explicitly stated that the Emperor (role) got to buy treachery for its allies.

E: I forgot how bad it was, there’s a 9 page FAQ that lays it all out. Dune would seriously benefit from a technical manual like the Law of Root.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 13, 2024

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Worldbreakers is shipping. Another deckbuilder with no one I'd actually want to play with wheeeeeeee

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

!Klams posted:

I checked comments too cause I live getting angry at them but it was mostly stuff I want:
Clear rules on rulebook and components, one way to play with a simplified first game variant, nicely stackable troops, no movie screenshot or movie based art but less bland character art than in the boardgame.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

if it looks good I'll probably upgrade and pass down my 2019 set to a buddy

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Dunc: Imperium PC version out in Steam today, any experiences on if it's a good adaptation of the boardgame?

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Lunsku posted:

Dunc: Imperium PC version out in Steam today, any experiences on if it's a good adaptation of the boardgame?

Also on consoles! Always happy to see more digital board games come to console.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm going to wait for Rise of IX to show up because that expansion improved a lot.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Lunsku posted:

I just bought it for Android, currently scale is off because the top part of the tutorial dialogue is cut off on screen. But if you know how to play seems legit so far.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

I'm going to wait for Rise of IX to show up because that expansion improved a lot.

I thought default imperium was already full of charisma, uniqueness, negotiations and talent. Also according to most fans on bgg, they were happy to see dune boardgame done right the first time.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Triskelli posted:

Owning a copy of the 2019 copy I can think of a few rules clarifications that are sorely needed. Off the dome is how the Emperor’s alliance ability is phrased. On the player sheet it only says “you share your wealth” and adds that you can pay to ship extra allied warriors to Dune. How and when do you share that wealth? Is it a communal pool of money now? I’m likely spoiled by FFG’s Rex, which explicitly stated that the Emperor (role) got to buy treachery for its allies.

E: I forgot how bad it was, there’s a 9 page FAQ that lays it all out. Dune would seriously benefit from a technical manual like the Law of Root.

I think the "share your wealth" is a hold over from the original 79 rules which there was no spice bribing. None of the other factions could transfer spice between each other, besides the Emperor. Spice bribing/dealing was a house rule that got really popular and there's no going back.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

haddedam posted:

I thought default imperium was already full of charisma, uniqueness, negotiations and talent.

Multiples of them, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

My understanding of Dune Impy was that it's been quite aggressively developed post-publication, leading eventually to Uprising.