Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Strong Sauce posted:

if you're talking programmatically: things that have indeterminate string length have a cost.
if you're just talking about how its written: long words take longer to type and write out

In the Andreesen Horowitz case calling them AHs would be even shorter and the obvious alternate interpretations would be… close enough, if not strictly correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
g4e

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
j4g

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://infosec.exchange/@briankrebs/112077458039064378

quote:

If you bought or sold something on the darknet bazaar Incognito Market, you may be in for a surprise. Apparently Incognito is now extorting all of its former users, saying that depending on their vendor level, not having your info leaked could cost between $100 and $20,000.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They should leak all of it anyway.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LOLOLOL

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I'm assuming that's the plan. No way they'll bother going through their records and whitelisting the ones who pay up. Why bother if you're them?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

before, when we said we'd delete your information, we were lying. we lied so we could extort you later.

but now, this time, we'll definitely delete it once you pay us.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Yeah, I work in IT, or I0T as we say :smug:

Also

Paladinus posted:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I am shocked, SHOCKED, that the site purposefully set up to buy and sell sketching things wasn't fully trustworthy.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i mean yeah i wouldn't bother regardless... pretty sure a lawyer would be able to argue that it's inadmissible because you have no way of verifying that they didn't make up all that. Maybe you'd have to stop dealing though

drk
Jan 16, 2005
lol, they also posted a list of vendors who have and havent paid, some classic names here

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Paladinus posted:

You called it. No way that isn't going to be the final twist.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

But if they leak all of it then that’s the end of it. If they redact the people who paid, then they can blackmail them again next year. If you pay a blackmailer then you are proving that you’ll pay to keep this information suppressed so there’s no reason for them to stop.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

b6n

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
my nickname is moon moon and hunter2

also i wonder if this username algo has ever had interesting tracebacks in the histories of corp. espionage.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the most interesting bit about this kickstarter article is that there's apparently an internal estimate that 18% of their revenue comes from fraud

they publicly deny this, naturally

quote:

Because of Kickstarter’s mechanics, projects can achieve full funding—and Kickstarter will receive its cut—with no intention of ever launching. Some users will also make small pledges on the platform to test out stolen credit cards. As Fortune learned, one internal estimate puts the amount of revenue that comes from fraudulent projects as high as 18%—a concern echoed by past actions from different states’ attorneys general and the Federal Trade Commission, who have targeted Kickstarter scams in their investigations. (Kickstarter itself has not been charged in these lawsuits or complaints.) A spokesperson denied the estimate and said the company has implemented “extensive measures” to address fraud, including new detection software and processes.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

at first I thought you hosed up counting but then it clicked.

b6n indeed.

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

LOL at some of those vendor names

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

AmazonCrime:lol:

And that isn’t even all the “As”

I thought people encrypted their communications on those sites but it sounds like there was a fake native encryption that some people used.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cicero had it wrong, there is no honor among thieves

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nice meltdown

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

AmazonCrime:lol:

And that isn’t even all the “As”

I thought people encrypted their communications on those sites but it sounds like there was a fake native encryption that some people used.

Likely, it was either encrypted with two keys, or more likely, they encrypted it at rest, but kept the private keys for themselves so they could grab messages when they wanted to.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
All this fraud and high level crypto people going to prison recently for fraud seems bullish for bitcoin because that means they got all the the rug pullers, right? Nothing to see here except legitimate market action, I'd imagine!

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
found a song named after our friend who suffers from chronic shitcoin disease https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=speAerD6Ouo

swamp thong fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 13, 2024

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Don't summon him, don't mention him, forget he exists and when he comes back ignore him and report him

Don't give him any more attention than he deserves

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Don't summon him, don't mention him, forget he exists and when he comes back ignore him and report him

That idiot is gonna keep showing up no matter if we ignore them or not because they're a deranged, compulsive lunatic. Acting as if saying his name will give you cooties like this is incredibly dumb. You might just as well order the tides to stop in place.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Must suck to have no friends except for the little digital charts you obsessively follow on your phone as life passes by.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Yeah he'll show up regardless but there's definite lulls to when he does it and he's definitely obsessively stalking this and the YOSPOS thread

I'll stab the sea if need be

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Wait are you talking about the bye bye man? Cos if you are you just got us all killed by the lamest horror movie killer by mentioning his name you jerk!

Edit: Oh just re-read it. Seems I was the only one who actually mentioned the name. Well I'm still blaming you. :colbert:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

:evilbuddy:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Instead of mods holding the monopoly on giving Seraph attention by setting forum policy especially for Seraph can we instead think of this as everybody else in the thread is extremely tired of everyone thinking they are owning the stalker by reverse stalking him. As guilty as I was of this in the past, at least I am tired of that and just want to hear about scams and dumb business decisions. It's just bad posting all around and can be moderated as such instead of treating it like the bye bye man.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

zedprime posted:

Instead of mods holding the monopoly on giving Seraph attention by setting forum policy especially for Seraph can we instead think of this as everybody else in the thread is extremely tired of everyone thinking they are owning the stalker by reverse stalking him. As guilty as I was of this in the past, at least I am tired of that and just want to hear about scams and dumb business decisions. It's just bad posting all around and can be moderated as such instead of treating it like the bye bye man.

Did anyone say buttcoin yet?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
the bye bye coin

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Lammasu posted:

no go ahead

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

LordArgh posted:

the bye bye coin

All my apes, bye-byed

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Lammasu posted:

whoa, suddenly I understand Pham Nuwen's av

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Paladinus posted:

They should will leak sell all of it anyway.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
people who pay's information is worth more since they've shown willingness to participate in extortion