Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I will never understand why twin linked is a rule for a gun instead of a twin linked gun just making GBS threads out double the bullets/lasers/rockets/needles for the appropriate points value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Athas posted:

Twin linked makes the gun better, never worse. How doesn't that make sense?

My wave serpents and predator annihilators used to have two guns. Now they have one gun that rerolls wounds. Twin linked takes two guns on the model (which is how it was in 8th and 9th) and turns it into one gun that rerolls wounds in a way I feel makes no sense.

It's not a massive deal, it's just something that annoys me, probably irrationally much :shrug:

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
As someone who has had to fight a Spartan with eight lascannon shots that should be four twin -linked lascannons, everyone who says it should be double shots can go straight to hell

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Geisladisk posted:

It also doesn't help that it's somewhat arbitrarily enforced. Land Raiders have two twin linked lascannons, but whoops, we want Land Raiders to be good, so they get to be special and have their two guns actually fire two shots.

More annoyingly, the Land Raider also has a paired heavy bolter mount which .... does count as a single twin linked gun. They can't even be consistent in implementation on the same damned model.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Deleter posted:

As someone who has had to fight a Spartan with eight lascannon shots that should be four twin -linked lascannons, everyone who says it should be double shots can go straight to hell

bring more antiarmor :getin:

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

JBP posted:

I will never understand why twin linked is a rule for a gun instead of a twin linked gun just making GBS threads out double the bullets/lasers/rockets/needles for the appropriate points value.

Twin-linked makes the damage more reliable, without being more damaging at peak, which it would be by doubling the attacks. I think it's a good niche in the design space, and when I look at the weapons that get twin-linked, I do get a impression of reliability instead of massive damage.

It does seem somewhat random which weapons get twin-linked and which just get more attacks, but I think the rules need both.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

xtothez posted:

There are good cases for why specific units have this applied differently. For example, Dreadnoughts or Chaos Helbrute can pick between a bunch of classic weapon options that all used to have quite different point values*. If the twin lascannon still had two shots then most of the time it would just be straight up better pick than the weaker two-shot multi-melta profile. So instead it's a single shot that rerolls wounds.

Some units also have different access to other abilities that skew things; getting more base shots alongside easy access to lethal/sustained hits results in a much stronger weapon, as does twin-linked in conjunction with dev wounds.

While it's not perfect, it's clear they have put a bit of thought into some of these choices.

*yes they should just bring these back for some wargear options

Free wargear is good (on the stuff that's been balanced for it)

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

JBP posted:

Because as said they’re things like WW2 flak guns or the guns on fighter aircraft. Your Mustang has six machine guns but they are ranged and aimed as one gun. You can’t hit two dudes at once if you’re shooting at a squad. (Until 40k adds bullet penetration I suppose)

Idk what the best rule would be but it’s definitely not just making them double gun. Maybe make them do double damage only to multiwound models?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You got doubled up shots forever but 10e deliberately tries to reduce the insane lethality of 9e.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Twin linked is the way it is to make the game more balanced given the existing model range, just like base sizes. It doesn't have to make any kind of real world sense.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Twin-linked makes sense to me: It's a weapon system with a doubled rate of fire but not separate targeting. The effect is that you're more likely to hit, but it's not as impactful as firing two distinct weapons. The assumption here is that either the twin-linked weapon only hits with one of the two barrels, or else they both hit but cause component overkill (i.e. a robotic limb can only be blown off once).

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 13, 2024

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I’ve been thinking about Some Guys type models and I see a lot of people say the swarmiest, big groups of nobodies type army is the Imperialis Militia for 30k. I looked them up and it seems they don’t have any models at all besides a few vehicles? The 30k subreddit is All Space Marines, too

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
the greatest thread in the history of the Imperium, 'are multimeltas twin-linked?', has been locked after 40,000 pages of intense debate

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Improbable Lobster posted:

the greatest thread in the history of the Imperium, 'are multimeltas twin-linked?', has been locked after 40,000 pages of intense debate
Astropath has been executed for this post

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
not gonna lie though i kinda miss blast templates. especially the big apocalypse ones for titans that was like dinner plate sized.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frog Act posted:

So I’ve been thinking about Some Guys type models and I see a lot of people say the swarmiest, big groups of nobodies type army is the Imperialis Militia for 30k. I looked them up and it seems they don’t have any models at all besides a few vehicles? The 30k subreddit is All Space Marines, too

Use whatever imperial guard models you want, it sounds like they're the exact same thing besides not being an official plot regiment.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

not gonna lie though i kinda miss blast templates. especially the big apocalypse ones for titans that was like dinner plate sized.

They were fun for a few seconds and then you get to splitting hairs on what's underneath it

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Cults and Militias list is totally for scratch builds, conversions, or weird repurposing of existing minis.

You can use it for everything from Ogryn worlds, drugged Beastmen regiments, fanatical cults, or even Squats.

You're allowed two "provinces" to flavor your army, and from that you can build nearly anything that's been presented in the fluff.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Spanish Manlove posted:

They were fun for a few seconds and then you get to splitting hairs on what's underneath it

eh when i was playing it was with a pretty good group and we had a few house rules for scatter and rule of cool. disagreements were settled by a 3rd person not playing and apocalypse games usually had like eh 4-6 people a side and took drat near all day but i can see if you are like super serious tourney player i can see how that would be irritating

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

e: lol slow typing shoots me in the foot once again

Frog Act posted:

vague chance they get some character models some day, but the point of those rules is being able to grab whatever models you can stick the right sort of guns on and use it, and since the rules are fairly recent as well there's not too many people who've done more than dust off their Imperial Guard collections to play them yet. compounds just a bit with 30k being the game for people wanting to paint marines

anyway, rules for them are are just up on the website so just go peruse and see if the format fits the kind of loser nobodies you're after. it does enable taking the some of the largest buckets of maybe the most worthless chaff infantry in any GW game. but there's flexibility, particularly if you're just wanting to make a blob or two of something that're technically valid units just for the sake of doing so

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

How many guard regiments are planetary armies that don't have home world to sit around on anymore? Is it just Tanith and Cadia?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I see, thanks everyone! I was mostly hoping there were a few model sets that used the old convicts/penal legion mobs from old school IG or something. Seems the best route for “buncha fellas with crummy guns” would be the Wargames Atlantic cannon fodder box with extra bits from other boxes stuck on em

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

How many guard regiments are planetary armies that don't have home world to sit around on anymore? Is it just Tanith and Cadia?

Depends, there could be as many as you want there to be. But in terms of established, canon regiment there is only really those two.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

CAD enables objectively lovely miniature design, such as the first wave of Wyrd miniatures plastics.

Which replaced some very cool, very characterful designs with poser models cut into impossibly unmanageably fine fragments of pieces.

Today, nearly the entire 3D print hobby is driven by CAD and it's a goddamn amazing creative wonderland.

I was cleaning up a bunch of 3D printed models recently and got really irritated by 3D artists who flog "28mm" versions of them models which are the same 54mm+ sculpts shrunk down by 50%.

This leads to fingers, weapons and peripheries so thin that just touching it the wrong way snaps them and the bits are so fine they can't be found and can't be reattached properly even if they can be found.

Also having models with tiny, realistically proportioned feet standing on tiptoe. No way that's staying attached to any base.

You don't get any of that with a traditionally sculpted model because the master has to physically exist and be manipulated in reality, not a screen.

In short, do not get White Werewolf Tavern in anything less than 54mm, it doesn't work and it's a pain. The sculptor has no idea how to sculpt in 28-32mm.

In contrast Anvil Industry is always :discourse: and Papsikels is pretty good too.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ahahaha, hell yeah

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
drat hot commissar... :swoon:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cummissar.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

Ahahaha, hell yeah

They also have an STL where he has a !M-16 and if you run it through Blender, you can remove the chest armor to have a barechested commisar

https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/digital-anvils-10th-anniversary-character-bundle

Anvil Industry is one of the patreons I'll hang onto as long as possible, just because they fire out such consistently good poo poo.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Anvil is definitely one of those places I'd love to shop more from. But with import tax added onto any order I usually balk at it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah shipping gets expensive too, there's a few character models I'd love but the price usually more than doubles from it.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Decorus posted:

I hope Leman Russes with and without sponsons are grouped under different datasheets in the IG codex. Twenty or so different LR datasheets should be fine, right? :)

I'm pretty sure 40k Leman Russ sponsons will remain free, because I think I see what GW is doing with 30k. Specifically, they want to discourage people from proxying the new Solar Auxilia 30k Leman Russ as a 40k Astra Militarum Russ, because toy company doctrine is to keep brands distinct to avoid potential sales cannibalization and audience confusion. It's similar to how all the factions that have gotten big line updates for Age of Sigmar are absent from the list of well-supported Old World armies. Skaven are the flagship heels for Sigmar 4th edition so no Old World rats, etc..

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah shipping gets expensive too, there's a few character models I'd love but the price usually more than doubles from it.

Yeah, it's one of those annoying combination of high shipping costs, import tax (thanks Brexit) and the pound still being strong despite everything that nixes any UK purchase for me.
In my case there's a bunch of parts I'd want for one of my many minor projects.

Which is also really annoying when all the interesting stuff is usually made there. I've been chasing around like mad for tank stowage in 1/100, 1/48 or 1/72. the past week and the only european stores I can find for it are all UK based.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Stephenls posted:

Specifically, they want to discourage people from proxying the new Solar Auxilia 30k Leman Russ as a 40k Astra Militarum Russ, because toy company doctrine is to keep brands distinct to avoid potential sales cannibalization and audience confusion.

Good news, the 40K Leman Russ kit comes with a 3rd sprue that gives you a whole 2nd set of sponsons that you have nothing to use for otherwise.

Also a turret, and a hull.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Anvil Industry make extremely good product and they price themselves accordingly. Their casts are consistently clean and defect free with barely any mould lines to speak of. The price of this is their guys all cost more than the equivalent GW dudes.

But if you need that ultra customised squad of extra special boys Anvil is the company for you.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Onager Dunecrawler 90% done.

Only thing I haven't attached is the feet pads since I'm waiting for the base to be delivered. It gives me a bit of time to figure out what other Dark Mechanicum type of aesthetic I can add to it

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I have only positive thing to say about Anvil Industries as well. I got a bunch of arm options to mix with old Cadian and Catachan plastics, they worked great. And that is my favourite commissar. :)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Stephenls posted:

I'm pretty sure 40k Leman Russ sponsons will remain free, because I think I see what GW is doing with 30k. Specifically, they want to discourage people from proxying the new Solar Auxilia 30k Leman Russ as a 40k Astra Militarum Russ, because toy company doctrine is to keep brands distinct to avoid potential sales cannibalization and audience confusion. It's similar to how all the factions that have gotten big line updates for Age of Sigmar are absent from the list of well-supported Old World armies. Skaven are the flagship heels for Sigmar 4th edition so no Old World rats, etc..

They literally encourage you to buy HH preds, rhinos and land raiders for 40k so I don't think this is right.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Instead of thinking of the Twin Las as two concurrent beams, think of it firing them alternating like a left, right, left, right, so you’re putting more shots down range, which means more hits.

Voila, Twin Linked makes sense again.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Decorus posted:

I have only positive thing to say about Anvil Industries as well. I got a bunch of arm options to mix with old Cadian and Catachan plastics, they worked great. And that is my favourite commissar. :)

lol painted looks like daniel craig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Don’t forget lightning claws are twin-linked.