Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://x.com/WrestlePurists/status/1767734624073945289?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Peak storytelling.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

👀👀👀👀

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I don't see how the skull emojis relate to the context of the clip.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

It's the only correct reaction to a WWE clip tbh. The alternative is the official account going "WHAT. JUST. HAPPENED" or Public Enemies Podcast-style hyperbolic tweet calling the lamest WWE poo poo a movie.

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

I just can't connect with this without knowing who these characters are and why them kissing is such a big deal. WWE could really learn a thing or two from AEW about storytelling.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pillowpants posted:

Yet you’ve got the Brooklyn Brawlerr 2.0 as the continental champion - having won a tournament with a dozen people more talented than he is, feuding with people he doesn’t hold a candle to.

At least Roman has a whole faction to help him win.

Bryan - I thought Eddie earned your respect finally. Sad to see you not accept that he is the KING of the bums and not just a bum. Can’t wait for your match versus Ospreay!

I love it Maggle!

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

the cornette listeners on here are always failing stealth mode by eventually slipping and using his lines

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This is a cinema clap clap clapclapclap

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

rotinaj posted:

I have a faint amount of nostalgia for how wcw would put snickers or Reese’s or slim jim on stuff

I feel like the tech to make that stuff can’t be as slippy and hard to wrestle on as it was 25 years ago

The quote I remember about it being slippy/dangerous was someone, (forgive me I dunno who), said to Lance Storm "If this poo poo can make you look clumsy, imagine how it makes the rest of us look."

Lance Storm was a good wrestler.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

super macho dude posted:

Wrestling should only be shot using the tenets of Dogme 95, filmed with academy 35mm

I would be on board with this. Festen is a masterpiece and actually extremely relevant to WWE now that I think about it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I have seen every movie ever made and I can honestly say this is better than any of them. Superlative work, Paul Levesque! Huzzah to you, sir!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Next, Pillowpants is going to post a topless photo of Eddie and ask us if this is what a wrestler should look like.

The answer is “yes” though

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Long-Time Lurker posted:

It's the only correct reaction to a WWE clip tbh. The alternative is the official account going "WHAT. JUST. HAPPENED" or Public Enemies Podcast-style hyperbolic tweet calling the lamest WWE poo poo a movie.

skull emoji skull emoji whatjusthappened

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1767722393542299895

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I just remembered another Lance Storm story that is barely related to discussion about storylines/cinematic stuff in wrestling.

Lance was wandering backstage and came across Vince Russo. Russo was complaining about how hard it was to have to write X amount of stories to fill the Y amount of TV hours he put out.

Lance said that if he gave them the opportunity, the wrestlers themselves could tell those stories in the ring, and probably more entertainingly.

Lance Storm is good people. I apologize if my last two stories about him have been stupid and/or boring

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Yeah sure, Lance could put on a great match, but where would you have the miscarriages, the forced haircuts and wrestlers complaining about how wrestling was fake??

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i hope jade cargill is making good progress on learning to wrestle

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Oh my God it's somehow so much worse in video form. And the crowd is silent.

Must be utterly captivated by the ~*cinema*~

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

I just remembered another Lance Storm story that is barely related to discussion about storylines/cinematic stuff in wrestling.

Lance was wandering backstage and came across Vince Russo. Russo was complaining about how hard it was to have to write X amount of stories to fill the Y amount of TV hours he put out.

Lance said that if he gave them the opportunity, the wrestlers themselves could tell those stories in the ring, and probably more entertainingly.

Lance Storm is good people. I apologize if my last two stories about him have been stupid and/or boring

Ugh gently caress Vince russo. He wrote maybe what 500 lines for an episode of raw? When I produced the morning show for kplc I had to write for a daily 2 and a half hour show somewhere around 3000 lines an episode. And I would have killed for the ability to just give my talent 30 minutes to do their own thing

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

This is incredibly stupid and extremely bad

Good job hbk, you have trained up two people to be able to do something as bad and as dumb as the Shelly Martinez “my vag” spot

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

JUNGLE BOY posted:

i hope jade cargill is making good progress on learning to wrestle

She’s got a long long way to go before she can get to this:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Shard posted:

Ugh gently caress Vince russo. He wrote maybe what 500 lines for an episode of raw? When I produced the morning show for kplc I had to write for a daily 2 and a half hour show somewhere around 3000 lines an episode. And I would have killed for the ability to just give my talent 30 minutes to do their own thing

got his rear end

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

Every time I participate in making GBS threads on these WWE clips in these threads, my Fedpilled friend would never fail to sincerely share them in our chat group like they're truly cinema. I feel like I'm living in two realities.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Every time I participate in making GBS threads on these WWE clips in these threads, my Fedpilled friend would never fail to sincerely share them in our chat group like they're truly cinema. I feel like I'm living in two realities.

Just think of any other television show you hold in low esteem that was inexplicably popular

Two and a half men was one of the biggest shows on tv for nearly a decade

Some people just have bad taste

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

If you are going to watch WWE in TYOOL 2024 you need to have taste bad enough to say Eddie Kingston is Brooklyn Brawler 2.0.

Women praised Eddie during Speaking Out for making creepy guys gently caress off and stop annoying them, it makes sense that fans of WWE would see nothing to like about him.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I have said it multiple times but NXT really is Nickelodeon wrestling. I also want to tell whoever has gassed NXT up as the best weekly show to gently caress themselves because every clip that I see of it that isn't Ilja matches make me embarassed to be a wrestling fan.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Selling a low blow by going cross eyed is cool and good, actually.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Goblin Queen posted:

I just can't connect with this without knowing who these characters are and why them kissing is such a big deal. WWE could really learn a thing or two from AEW about storytelling.

I actually regularly watch NXT for the yuks and can tell you that these two characters have never before interacted at all

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

rotinaj posted:

Just think of any other television show you hold in low esteem that was inexplicably popular

Two and a half men was one of the biggest shows on tv for nearly a decade

Some people just have bad taste

It's how I feel about Friends and Seinfeld.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://x.com/WrestleTalk_TV/status/1767891063895671219?s=20

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Testekill posted:

I have said it multiple times but NXT really is Nickelodeon wrestling. I also want to tell whoever has gassed NXT up as the best weekly show to gently caress themselves because every clip that I see of it that isn't Ilja matches make me embarassed to be a wrestling fan.

I feel particularly bad for Gigi because she was decent to good on the indies and has gotten much, much worse since signing with the fed.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

They better have some video packages in the game for all these assholes.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I truly believe wrestling suffered when it went widescreen. Bring back 4:3 framing.

wrestlers and wrestling rings looked bigger in 4:3

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

STING 64 posted:

wrestlers and wrestling rings looked bigger in 4:3

That's right :hai:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wrestling and fighting games were both ruined by widescreen

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Because it takes so much longer to walk to the other side of the screen?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

we aren't bringing it back Erin! Embrace the future!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
WWE's actual wrestling was arguably at its all-time worst the last time it was a genuine pop culture phenomenon!

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

(at the barcade sipping a $9 IPA and mashing in kof’96 on an mvs with a sticky d button while the ‘93 rumble plays overhead on wall-mounted crts, house speakers vacillating between Now Thats What I Call The 80s 2 and the hottest vaporwave tracks of 2012) poo poo was so much better then…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Hedgehog Pie posted:

WWE's actual wrestling was arguably at its all-time worst the last time it was a genuine pop culture phenomenon!

drat kids today wouldn't know how to appreciate a mideon v al snow 5 minute undercard garbage match if it hit em on the face with a stop sign