Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hed posted:

one of my kid's friends has an iphone 4 (model A1332) that is locked at the "iPhone is disabled connect to iTunes" screen.

This is from an era that's before I even had one so I'm unfamiliar... is there a way to unlock it without just resetting it? He doesn't remember the password but I didn't know being so old if there was something I could exploit.

I looked on the Apple forums, and it's either reset with a computer, or take it to the fruit stand. This doesn't exclude the possibility of there being a way to, like, hack into it or whatever, but that's beyond my knowledge.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Also bigger picture: iPhone 4 is basically unusable today. If the goal is “I want to get photos off” then there’s probably effort involved, but if the goal is “oh sweet an iPhone” it’s not with the squeeze

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Raymond T. Racing posted:

Also bigger picture: iPhone 4 is basically unusable today. If the goal is “I want to get photos off” then there’s probably effort involved, but if the goal is “oh sweet an iPhone” it’s not with the squeeze

Plus using an iPhone 4 risks Apple having the cops come over and basically break down your door to take the prototype you found sitting on a bar stool.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Plus using an iPhone 4 risks Apple having the cops come over and basically break down your door to take the prototype you found sitting on a bar stool.

it will not surprise you to know i used my 4 until it was pretty much dead, then switched to a 5c which i used until it was dead, then the SE where the battery started bulging. i am very good at iphone

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

it will not surprise you to know i used my 4 until it was pretty much dead, then switched to a 5c which i used until it was dead, then the SE where the battery started bulging. i am very good at iphone

Somebody get you an iPhone 6S stat!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Somebody get you an iPhone 6S stat!

that's what i'm on right now!!!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
iPhone: i am very good at iphone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

An iPhone 4 may be old enough that there's an actual hack available for it. I don't know where you'd find it, but it may exist!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You'll almost HAVE to hack it because I cant imagine any apps run on it any longer

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Been with the 14 for a little while now and really like it, much more so than my old 12 Mini (except for the size, obv) but I am very impressed with the battery idle time. At night I have a Shortcut that puts my phone into low power mode, switches to grayscale and turns off notifications and I don't think it even trickles down a few percentage points during a typical night.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't think putting it in grayscale does anything to help battery life. You do you but I would recommend just putting it on a charger at night and turn on the sleep focus. That turns the display completely off while allowing the phone to do things such as run a backup.

Don't janitor your phone.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Mostly it's just to get me off my phone at night, I don't expect it to have any discernible effect on battery life or helping screen longevity or something.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Silly iPhone thing of the day:

Asked Siri to “play some music” in CarPlay after updating to latest OS.

“To access Apple Music, please accept the updated license agreement on your device.”

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think that happens every time they update Music with an iOS update

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My "favourite" Siri thing was being elbows deep in my motorcycle last weekend with a torque wrench and yelling out "Hey siri what is X nm in foot pounds" and hearing "here's what I found on the web" instead of an answer I can use without picking up my phone with dirty rear end gloves to punch numbers into an HTML calculator.

Thanks Tim Apple.

But on the topic of CarPlay, it looks like there's some incompatibility between CarPlay and what I presume to be the new locally-downloaded maps data. feature. If I start a route on maps.app on my phone which has locally downloaded map data for my area, once I get in the car it says something like "turn by turn directions not available for this destination". Honestly not sure if the two are related but anecdotally I only started seeing this after I downloaded the data to my phone so.. iunno.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 13, 2024

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Siri is only good for like setting a timer or something and even then it's pretty stupid at that.

It sucks and gently caress it I hope Apple goes whole hog with the AI crap in iOS 18 like the rumors say.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I feel like Siri has gotten worse with conversions/calculations/lookups. It definitely does more of the "here's a website I found to answer that" more often than before.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know what I did before Apple implemented "let me google that for you"

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

I feel like Siri has gotten worse with conversions/calculations/lookups. It definitely does more of the "here's a website I found to answer that" more often than before.

Absolutely been seeing the same lately. Siri was never really good to begin with but the regression has been so noticeable for me and it sucks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s really frustrating when it’s like a yes / no question too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Skeezy posted:

Absolutely been seeing the same lately. Siri was never really good to begin with but the regression has been so noticeable for me and it sucks.

Yeah Siri was always "bad" but it worked good for very simple instructions, like "Siri what's 69 oz to x" when I'm cooking or "remind me to do x". It always worked perfectly fine but now half the times it says "here's a website" or "I can't find an app for that" like what? Just make a reminder in the reminders app.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Yeah my HomePod frequently gets a false activation and starts babbling some nonsense in response to whatever is playing on the TV. Conversely I’ve completely given up on asking it to add things to my shopping list because it will ask “who is speaking?” and then make me get my phone out to prove it 100% of the time now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
It’s also annoying when Siri decides randomly that the command that has always worked is suddenly outside its wheelhouse.

I only use it to set an alarm or get directions to a friends house/work/home.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

TACD posted:

Yeah my HomePod frequently gets a false activation and starts babbling some nonsense in response to whatever is playing on the TV. Conversely I’ve completely given up on asking it to add things to my shopping list because it will ask “who is speaking?” and then make me get my phone out to prove it 100% of the time now.

I opted to not buy more homepods or subscribe to apple music after my trial ended when my homepod mini's siri integration proved to be total garbage. (Also Apple Music is trash too if you want to run it on a Mac)

I would also like Siri to stop confusing my wife and I; we sound NOTHING alike and it's extremely frustrating pulling out my phone, looking at it, saying "hey siri, <simple command>" and hearing my wife's iphone IN THE NEXT ROOM answer in confusion.

(IDK if Android/Google is any good at any of this either but the fact I'm staring at my loving phone talking to it and it does that is amazingly bad)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

buglord posted:

It’s also annoying when Siri decides randomly that the command that has always worked is suddenly outside its wheelhouse.

I only use it to set an alarm or get directions to a friends house/work/home.

Occasionally i'll use it in to send a text while driving, but otherwise my Siri usage is limited to "set a timer for 15 minutes" when I take a covid test

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Will I ever learn why autocorrect will change half the words in my sentence but let “nevativity” sail through

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Siri is only good for like setting a timer or something and even then it's pretty stupid at that.

It sucks and gently caress it I hope Apple goes whole hog with the AI crap in iOS 18 like the rumors say.
Yeah I historically only use Siri to set timers and alarms.

Except I tend to use Alexa for that instead.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I hate trying to set a time for x hours and y minutes, because if you say "Siri, set a timer for 1 hour 15" it will set a timer for 1 hour and 15 seconds.

You have to say "Siri, set a timer for 1 hour 15 minutes" which is stupid.

(also, if you try to beat the system and say "Siri, set a timer for 75 minutes" it doesn't respond in kind. :woz:)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

What about "one and a quarter hours"?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
You can absolutely say 75 minutes. Also you can just say the duration to save time. "Hey siri 75 minutes"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can’t believe how much time I’ve wasted saying the words “set a timer for”.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

~Coxy posted:

(also, if you try to beat the system and say "Siri, set a timer for 75 minutes" it doesn't respond in kind. :woz:)

Works on my iPhone (15).

astral posted:

Also works.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You can also set alarms by just saying “5 PM” or whatever.

If you tap and hold on the shift or caps key and swipe to the key you want to use, it will automatically switch the keyboard back to qwerty. Tapping and holding on the space bar lets you move the cursor, but I imagine most iPhone users are familiar with that one?

Lots of secret features in iOS.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 14, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Corb3t posted:

If you tap and hold on the shift or caps key and swipe to the key you want to use, it will automatically switch the keyboard back to qwerty. Tapping and holding on the space bar lets you move the cursor, but I imagine most iPhone users are familiar with that one?

Come again? :eyepop:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

astral posted:

Good idea, but 1 hour 15 was just an example, my timers are for the dishwasher and washing machine and usually have an odd number of minutes.

Mister Facetious posted:

Works on my iPhone (15).

It sets the timer correctly, but it doesn't confirm in total minutes, it confirms in hours and minutes.

Magic Underwear posted:

You can absolutely say 75 minutes. Also you can just say the duration to save time. "Hey siri 75 minutes"

Will try this next time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

~Coxy posted:

It sets the timer correctly, but it doesn't confirm in total minutes, it confirms in hours and minutes.

Genuinely curious why you need Siri to show a literal 75 minute timer when the planet uses the hour:minute:second standard

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Also was Siri supposed to wake upon just saying "Siri" newest iOS version? I never got my Siri to consistently wake unless I said "Hey Siri", yet my friend was able to just say "Siri".

Of course I tried it now without the "hey" and it worked this time.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

I opted to not buy more homepods or subscribe to apple music after my trial ended when my homepod mini's siri integration proved to be total garbage. (Also Apple Music is trash too if you want to run it on a Mac)

I would also like Siri to stop confusing my wife and I; we sound NOTHING alike and it's extremely frustrating pulling out my phone, looking at it, saying "hey siri, <simple command>" and hearing my wife's iphone IN THE NEXT ROOM answer in confusion.

(IDK if Android/Google is any good at any of this either but the fact I'm staring at my loving phone talking to it and it does that is amazingly bad)

My home is a mixture of Google Assistant devices and one HomePod. Google Assistant has turned into absolute trash lately. It won't turn lights on/off, it won't answer questions, it won't do timers, it rarely listens for the wake word anymore, and sometimes it just ignores you. My roommate saw something where Google fired a bunch of people or moved them off of GA and over to their Bard AI crap. Whatever it is, Google is as bad as Siri, if not worse.

A least Siri will do timers without fail for me.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Why is all this poo poo getting so much worse all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Genuinely curious why you need Siri to show a literal 75 minute timer when the planet uses the hour:minute:second standard

I don't actually need the timer to show 75 minutes, I just want the verbal response to use the same form as what I asked, so I can easily confirm that it set the correct timer without having to do another conversion.

But I think I'm going to train myself to do "Siri 1 hour 15 minutes" which is probably short enough that I won't complain too much about the redundant "minutes".