Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

recycled calm hitlers

they all ran off when the genocide became even more apparent including noted freaks that claimed israel was not an apartheid state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sancho Banana posted:

tbf there are janitors in the pentagon, too. There's a line between "this act of violence is justified/understandable" and "every person harmed by this act of violence personally deserved it". The former doesn't always necessitate the latter. That's why context is key.

agreed, yeah

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

What I don't understand is the need for me to like or care about Israel? Why is that an expectation? I've never heard an argument for it, it's just assumed that I should sympathize with this foreign country, which, on top of being foreign, is actively evil.

The zionist approach, Gelman is a good example, is being obnoxious and annoying but angry that people don't support - forget oppose - Zionism.

Why should I?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

What I don't understand is the need for me to like or care about Israel? Why is that an expectation? I've never heard an argument for it, it's just assumed that I should sympathize with this foreign country, which, on top of being foreign, is actively evil.

The justification I hear most is, "But they're our ally!", to which I always respond: "We need to pick better, less genocidal friends".

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

as a troop it is kind of expected that when serving the colonial power, you would adhere it its goals

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The zionist approach, Gelman is a good example, is being obnoxious and annoying but angry that people don't support - forget oppose - Zionism.

Why should I?

"The west is next".

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

WoodrowSkillson posted:

as a troop it is kind of expected that when serving the colonial power, you would adhere it its goals

I have 754 reasons not to, plus Major Paeta Hess-Von Krudener.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Sancho Banana posted:

"Citizens in the north are reporting an earthquake"

https://twitter.com/kann_news/status/1767867500547457172?t=u4smG9thLTixdjnM3rqbmg&s=19

Hezbollah earthbending or mass hallucinatory breakdown?

E: lol it was real, magnitude 3.8

https://twitter.com/N12News/status/1767869445349785880?t=vcxSkm-4J4TMpwbjhq2G-Q&s=19

Did any temple curtains split down the middle

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sancho Banana posted:

"The west is next".

oh thank god

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Why should I?

i think the cornerstone of building complicity with genocide is not considering its victims as people,

it often feels like being told a racist joke by a racist who then is puzzled why you aren't laughing at the obvious punchline

e: that is to say, when you are propagandized they are also already assuming you agree, they wish to uncover and assure allies, not convert or persuade

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Sancho Banana posted:

"The west is next".

Good.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Stalin ending the holocaust really pisses a lot of people off to the point of madness, huh?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

mags posted:

i think the cornerstone of building complicity with genocide is not considering its victims as people,

it often feels like being told a racist joke by a racist who then is puzzled why you aren't laughing at the obvious punchline

I think I follow, but as equally foreign countries, all considerations about who is being oppressed and clearly where the injustice lies aside, why should I see the Israelis as people and not the Palestinians?

Wouldn't the assumption be that this is one of those "complex" situations in far away "troubled states" where liberals fret while their countries arm one side or the other, like Guyana, the Congo, etc. ?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Why should I?

The ostensible justification is "B/C the Holocaust."

In reality it's that the west benefits from having a colony in the middle of where all the oil is.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Zionists expect complete impunity and unquestioned loyalty. They haven't been getting it over the past five months and that makes them angry, because they're not used to being questioned by either Jewish or non-Jewish people. Thus, you get situations like Glazer's speech at the Oscars. Glazer being Jewish and opposing the genocide isn't what angered Zionists; it's the fact that Glazer and other celebrities felt comfortable enough to publicly question Israel/Zionism at the Oscars.

Zionism rules by fear - fear of being labeled an "antisemite" or "dishonoring the Holocaust" if you oppose them. The minute people begin to realize that they don't have to fear reprisals, a lot of the Zionist project falls apart. It can't last because you can't maintain an iron grip on people forever. There are more of us who oppose Israel than there are AIPAC types.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Mar 13, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I also think, obviously Finkelstein and Mearsheimer wrote whole books on this, but they actively endanger the memory of the Holocaust. The slogan, for my entire life, when we went on a field trip to a synagogue and then later to the Holocaust museum was "never again".

So, you can see why doing it again is a problem. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Americo-Liberians recreating plantations, segregation, ideas of racial supremacy etc. in Liberia. It doesn't take away from what previous generations had suffered in America, but it makes it clear that sympathy felt for them is not transferable to their descendants who have exchanged roles.

In everything Israel does, not just recently, they obviously are more reminiscent of the perpetrators of the Holocaust than the victims. It seems clear to me that if you asked someone to reflect on the Holocaust, and sympathize with someone in this situation, it would be the Palestinians. How could it be otherwise?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

oct 7th was clearly justified as a political act, regardless of what one thinks of every incident related to it - there was no other plausible answer to israel's gaza policy than mass organised violence (demonstrated clearly by the failure of the great march of return and various UN-based projects), and that kind of thing is necessarily ugly. the israelis were banking on the palestinians not being able to pull off something like this, and based their entire strategy on that assumption; hamas proved them wrong and in so doing refuted the core of israeli strategy.

this refutation has basically shattered the world-view of the israeli state, and that makes it very dangerous and vindictive - to it, an unmanageable gaza is unacceptable, and if a mere siege is not sufficient to make it manageable, then the population has to go somewhere else. if it cannot go to egypt, it may become clear that it has to go to the grave. thus the present campaign of ethnic cleansing could at any time become a campaign of outright extermination.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Why should I?

it's the tip of the imperial spear. a world without israel is one in which the US geopolitical stature is weakened. US gepolitical stature is assumed to be a good thing per se, the absolute good and the measure of all other things, because the alternatives are a more equitable distribution of global power, which would mean reduced purchasing power and much sharpened conflicts in our own societies as imperialist superprofits dry up.

the israelis are like Us. they're Our front-line garrison.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-03-13/uk-defense-chief-grant-shapps-blocks-gaza-aid-drops-over-civilian-risk
Grant Shapps Blocks UK Aid Drops in Gaza Over Risk to Civilians

quote:

Defense Secretary Grant Shapps has prevented British aid drops over the Gaza Strip due to concerns about the risk to civilians, people familiar with the matter said, underscoring the challenges facing allied efforts to get supplies into the war zone.

A plan was drawn up by British officials for the Royal Air Force to parachute aid packages into Gaza, alongside similar efforts by allies including the US, Egypt, France and Jordan, the people said. Increasing the supply of humanitarian aid into Gaza has been a central objective of the UK and other countries who have warned of the risk of famine in the Palestinian territory during the Israel-Hamas war.

However, Shapps refused to sign off on the use of RAF planes to carry out the missions, the people said, speaking on condition of anonymity discussing operational decisions that have not been made public. The defense secretary rejected the idea because of concerns that the air drops were dangerous, a person familiar with his thinking said, citing reports that previous missions carried out by allies had accidentally killed Palestinians.

Five people died when a parachute failed to deploy and a parcel fell on then, the Hamas-run health ministry said last week. US officials have denied that its air drops killed anyone on the ground.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

"Oh darn, we tried giving you aid but you started whining about our food drops killing people so now you get nothing."

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"allied efforts" lmfao

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Al-Saqr posted:

finally got permamently suspended from twitter after months of throwing abuse, insults, slurs and 'death to israel' and 'shut up collaborationist dog fucker' at everyone i can.

finally deleted that stupid waste of time and energy, i never want to look at it ever again. time to be a normal person with a normal intake of social media depression poison.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say the information you were pulling off twitter and posting here was extremely relevant and you deserve a lot of thanks.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Good on South Africa.

https://x.com/haaretzcom/status/1767902179984028085?s=20

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

cool hopefully every country does this naturally demonic western nations wont

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Sancho Banana posted:

tbf there are janitors in the pentagon, too. There's a line between "this act of violence is justified/understandable" and "every person harmed by this act of violence personally deserved it". The former doesn't always necessitate the latter. That's why context is key.

No one gets what they deserve, least of all the architects of the global terror system known as the "rules-based order."

What matters isn't judgments of individual moral worth, but how to dismantle that system.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
to the surprise of no one, the collaborationist Palestinian Authority wants to be included in the 'aid delivery' efforts america is doing and theres reports that the mukhabarat dogs of abbas and the PA are trying to coordinate with the israelis to try and build a local puppet militia.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/2024...31607;&%231575;

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They shouldn’t wait, SA has special forces, go find these criminals.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

oct 7th was clearly justified as a political act, regardless of what one thinks of every incident related to it - there was no other plausible answer to israel's gaza policy than mass organised violence (demonstrated clearly by the failure of the great march of return and various UN-based projects), and that kind of thing is necessarily ugly. the israelis were banking on the palestinians not being able to pull off something like this, and based their entire strategy on that assumption; hamas proved them wrong and in so doing refuted the core of israeli strategy.

this refutation has basically shattered the world-view of the israeli state, and that makes it very dangerous and vindictive - to it, an unmanageable gaza is unacceptable, and if a mere siege is not sufficient to make it manageable, then the population has to go somewhere else. if it cannot go to egypt, it may become clear that it has to go to the grave. thus the present campaign of ethnic cleansing could at any time become a campaign of outright extermination.

it's the tip of the imperial spear. a world without israel is one in which the US geopolitical stature is weakened. US gepolitical stature is assumed to be a good thing per se, the absolute good and the measure of all other things, because the alternatives are a more equitable distribution of global power, which would mean reduced purchasing power and much sharpened conflicts in our own societies as imperialist superprofits dry up.

the israelis are like Us. they're Our front-line garrison.

Yep

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

to the surprise of no one, the collaborationist Palestinian Authority wants to be included in the 'aid delivery' efforts america is doing and theres reports that the mukhabarat dogs of abbas and the PA are trying to coordinate with the israelis to try and build a local puppet militia.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/2024...31607;&%231575;

yeah a 0% approval vichy government that has no control outside a building in ramallah this is sure to work

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

V. Illych L. posted:

the israelis are like Us.

I suppose this is the sticking point for me. Has anyone read The Holocaust Averted: An Alternate History of American Jewry, 1938-1967? I've been meaning to, and it seems pretty relevant. Let me preface by saying this was a very well reviewed book. I say that, because as I write this post, it seems loving crazy. I cannot imagine just coming out and saying some of the things the author does and nobody batting an eye:

Description posted:

The increasingly popular genre of "alternative histories" has captivated audiences by asking questions like "what if the South had won the Civil War?" Such speculation can be instructive, heighten our interest in a topic, and shed light on accepted history. In The Holocaust Averted, Jeffrey Gurock imagines what might have happened to the Jewish community in the United States if the Holocaust had never occurred and forces readers to contemplate how the road to acceptance and empowerment for today's American Jews could have been harder than it actually was.

Based on reasonable alternatives grounded in what is known of the time, places, and participants, Gurock presents a concise narrative of his imagined war-time saga and the events that followed Hitler's military failures. While German Jews did suffer under Nazism, the millions of Jews in Eastern Europe survived and were able to maintain their communities. Since few people were concerned with the safety of European Jews, Zionism never became popular in the United States and social antisemitism kept Jews on the margins of society. By the late 1960s, American Jewish communities were far from vibrant.

This alternate history-where, among many scenarios, Hitler is assassinated, Japan does not bomb Pearl Harbor, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt is succeeded after two terms by Robert A. Taft-does cause us to review and better appreciate history. As Gurock tells his tale, he concludes every chapter with a short section that describes what actually happened and, thus, further educates the reader.

What troubles me is the assumption that the popularity of Zionism is related to the vibrancy of Jewish communities in the diaspora. I'm more troubled that the murder of millions of Jews was worth it for the "acceptance and empowerment" of American Jews.

Some of the passages found at the end of chapters, titled What Really Happened, stating whatever lesson was supposed to be learned through the counterfactual are pretty disturbing. For instance, imagining a Six Day War where the US does not provide military aid for Israel and so the Egyptians and Syrians are able to hold on to Gaza, Jerusalem, the West Bank, Sinai and Golan, the author says:

What Really Happened posted:

For American Jews, the Suez Crisis constituted a real challenge in their relationship with the White House and State Department. Arguably the low point in America’s relationship with the Jewish state, this was the first time that the United States appeared to be siding with Israel’s enemies. Though no strong public protests ensued against U.S. policy, American Jewish leaders who were fully supportive of their brethren in Israel advocated strongly in political and governmental circles, showing no fear of being accused of dual loyalty. In fact, when Dulles intimated that the United States might support sanctions against Israel for its lack of alacrity in withdrawal, there was talk in Jewish ranks in America of a general strike. Such a development never occurred, however, as Congress opposed sanctions deleterious to Israel.

From 1957 to 1967, while the tensions between Israel and its neighbors continued, the Israelis were was always on guard against Nasser making good on his threats of a “final showdown,” and Egypt generally held its fire. In the mid-1960s, the possibility of a multi-front war against Israel increased when the Egyptians united with the Syrians. In May 1967, the threat of war seemed to be imminent when Nasser broke the good-faith agreement brokered by the United Nations a decade earlier and demanded that peacekeepers leave the contested territories between his country and Israel. Nasser boasted that the conquest of Palestine was soon to be realized. Though the United States, under the Johnson administration, advised and cautioned against a preemptive strike, Israel felt that its very existence was threatened and on June 5, 1967, struck against Egyptian airfields and army encampments. The Six Day War had begun. Though the Eshkol government warned the Jordanians against joining the conflict, when King Hussein’s forces—encouraged by the Egyptians—joined the battle, Israel moved into Arab-controlled East Jerusalem and the West Bank. The IDF captured the Jewish holy sites in Jerusalem, setting off a wave of joy in the Jewish world, both among the religious and secular. In addition, Israel overcame Syrian forces to conquer the Golan Heights, protecting its northern reaches, particularly the Galilee, from future Arab attacks.

In the critical weeks before the Six Day War, American Jews feared greatly for the survival of the Jewish state. The term “Never Again” became the byword of community conversation and, more significant, activity. In 1967, more than any time since the end of World War II, American Jews evoked the memory of the murder of the six million as a clarion call for action: to prevent a new catastrophic calamity from befalling their people. Many Jews, previously estranged from community life, found themselves attending mass rallies and opening up their wallets and pocketbooks to support Jerusalem. The sale of Israel Bonds spiked and contributions to the United Jewish Appeal peaked. Many lined up to donate blood to the Israeli Red Cross.

The quickness and decisiveness of the IDF victory caused no negative stir in Washington, even though the Johnson administration had cautioned Israel about proactive measures. The questions that eventually would be raised dealt with the circumstances under which these captured territories might be returned to the Arabs, as well as the status of Jerusalem, a city holy to three faiths. As of 2015, these issues have yet to be resolved.

For American Jews, the Israel victory intensified their connections to the Jewish state, even if very few of them would migrate away from the United States. While they remained loyal Americans, these triumphant days created a strong sense of pride in their heritage, providing linkages to the Jewish past, present, and future.

If the premise of the book is that the Holocaust needed to happen for these outcomes... I mean, Christ. It's like an admission that absent the Holocaust the bolded parts are, to put it mildly, pretty hosed up in a variety of ways.

I saved the best for last, and I am genuinely struggling here:

Conclusion: Alternate History and the Realities of American Jewish Life posted:

This dark, counterfactual vision of American Jewry has shone a bright light on actual history. The somber hues in this portrayal depict a community that from the 1930s through the mid-1960s was far from fully at home in contemporary America, distant from other Jews, disconnected with its past, and uncertain whether it had a future. In my alternate history, the long-term processes of disintegration of Jewish identity among men and women who were generations removed from their parents’ immigrant roots intensified. Dissociation was encouraged in an America that withheld full acceptance while strongly suggesting that strict conformity to its way of life was required for achieving social equality. Unyielding feelings that their neighbors could not be fully trusted persisted, and the feeling was mutual. Weighted down with anxieties and uncertainties, American Jews habitually found themselves looking over their shoulders at the Christians around them, worried that their own political allegiances would be questioned. Such dilemmas—arising from unfavorable domestic governmental policies and social circumstances—precluded them from making statements or acting in ways that might have indicated loyalty to any country other than their adopted American land. Their endemic reticence in a largely intolerant society also deterred them from championing the causes of others, most notably African Americans, who were much further away from full equality than were Jews. Only a minority of the ideologically committed stood apart, at their own substantial risk, in a community where a cadre of leaders made sure that American Jews always were seen as unquestionably patriotic. Frequently, those in charge mounted public demonstrations of how patriotic and acculturated American Jews were. The list of speakers at these “unity gatherings” was monitored carefully to silence those who might articulate any alternate vision of what it meant to be an American and a Jew. When telling the history of American Jews, a standardized, sanitized narrative was the order of the day. The lionized cast of characters included those who made contributions to the growth of the nation. Emphasizing with great defensiveness the inexorable ties between Jews and the United States, every effort was made to avoid mentioning any discouraging words about three hundred years of Jewish life in America.

Even at moments when there was a stand-down from imminent crisis modes, support from American Jewry for the cause of their Palestinian and then Israeli brethren was tepid. Officials in Jerusalem and their Zionist sympathizers in America faced a continual losing battle to galvanize the largely unconnected masses. Advocates for the Jewish national movement often differed with each other over ways and means of promoting the Jewish nationalist agenda. But they were united in their unhappy understanding that the turnabout in Munich had staunched concerns over the refugee crisis, which temporarily had focused a considerable constituency on Zionist aspirations. From 1938 on, the complicated quest for a Jewish commonwealth did not capture widespread and enduring American Jewish interests. Whatever concerns brought this disintegrating group together were decidedly local. They might open their hearts and pocket- books to fund old-age homes, hospitals, or orphan asylums or to build their own country clubs, especially since often they were barred from gentile establishments. Such a narrow-minded, when not intimidated, Diaspora community failed to accord full-hearted support for Israel’s rise in 1948. Over the twenty years that followed, American Jews largely were not contributors to the miracle of the Jewish state’s survival against its enemies amid its wars. In 1956, those with longstanding anti-Zionist pedigrees lined up solidly with an antagonistic State Department. On the question of quick withdrawal from Suez, the Israelis were told to heed American governmental admonitions. By 1967, due to twists in American foreign policy objectives and priorities, fears of dual loyalty declined. Still, during the Six Day War, Israel’s staunchest backers in Washington’s political circles were more demonstrative in their support of Jerusalem than most preternaturally cautious American Jews. When the two Jewish communities—Israeli and American—were not at political loggerheads, tensions arose when Israeli leaders proclaimed that without the power of Zionist identification and influence, there was no future for American Jews. Antagonistic intra-Jewish contretemps were exacerbated when it was asserted from Jerusalem that the saving remnant of a culturally doomed American Jewry would only include those who sought out a new home in their reborn ancient land in Zion.

The early 1960s marked the beginning of a new era of acceptance for American Jews. Most notable, its younger generation was the beneficiary of a new governmental and societal outlook rooted in the quest to defeat the Soviets in the Cold War. To defeat their totalitarian system, it was said, our free society had to train its best minds in scholarship, science, and technology regardless of religious background. Under this mandate, high-achieving Jewish youngsters were defined as part of the American majority. They took their seats at the nation’s most prestigious educational institutions. These were schools that had been off-limits to their parents. But greater integration into the gentile world came at a very high price. Campus life hastened the dissociation of Jewish students from their religious and ethnic roots. Most of them came to schools with little positive inclination toward their heritages. Such was a direct result of their flaccidly Jewish suburban upbringings. Everywhere they turned as undergraduates, they were told that Judaism was a burden that should be unloaded. University officials did not rhapsodize about the beauties of diversity in their midst. Most Jewish faculty members agreed and positioned themselves as role models of those who had successfully broken away from unwanted pasts. While Hillel and Jewish fraternities and sororities were available for those who sought Jewish cultural activities or simply social conviviality, they attracted meager numbers of members or pledges. Zionist groups that made yeoman efforts to connect young people to Jewishness through Israeli cultural activities and travel opportunities largely failed. The opportunity to mix in among the Christian majority on campus was all too compelling. They wanted to show that they were not just great students, but all-around “Big Men on Campus.” Most Jewish women students felt the same way. As for linkage to Israel, its advocates were unable to overcome the legacy of dual-allegiance accusations and the students’ lack of exposure to the significance of the Jewish state. Campuses were, in the end, hubs of unbridled assimilation.

The continuing decline of my mid-century American Jewry was not altered substantially through the influx of new immigration. Close to nine million Jews remained behind a Soviet Iron Curtain in Eastern Europe. Some 50,000 “foreign Orthodox” Jews, as they were dubbed, who hailed from Polish Hasidic enclaves or devout Lithuanian communities, were among the most noticeable fortunate ones who escaped Soviet domination and made it to American shores. While its first generation demonstrated an acute fidelity to the old ways, the children of these immigrants began to fall away from the intensity of their parents’ commitment. Intergeneration tensions roiled families. They lacked the numbers of adherents and the leadership of uncommonly charismatic leaders to build fully insulated enclaves. While their Orthodox communities had not reached proverbial dead ends in the 1960s, their future—comfortably isolated from American ways—was seriously in doubt.

How does this presumed saga help us understand and appreciate the real course of the postwar years for American Jews? Overlaying this dystopian counterfactual vision resides a series of provocative messages about the community’s actual history and ultimately its destiny. Through our foggy mirror of fiction, the legacy of real events is visible. First and foremost, while one-third of world Jewry was destroyed in the Holocaust, during the Second World War a new world of opportunity and responsibility opened for Jews in the United States, along with a chance confidently to affirm their identities. Rising to their obligations to take on important leadership roles, inspired and often intrepid American Jews became fully immersed in the Jewish international issues of their times. For the record, Jacob Rader Marcus and Salo Baron were among the first to foresee and demand this role for their community. Having been just a few years earlier so sanguine about the survival of German Jewry, they surely recognized the error of their predictions and, in 1941–42, during the depths of the Holocaust, called upon rabbis and lay leaders to carry “gallantly” the new leadership roles that had been thrust upon them. For Marcus, the five million Jews in the United States were “the vanguard, the main body and the rear guard of free Diaspora Jewry.”’ Baron asserted explicitly that “the Second World War has placed in [American Jewry’s] hands undisputed leadership of world Jewry with all the challenges and responsibilities which it entails.”

But even without that call to arms, the horrific events that Jews in America were unable to mitigate galvanized concern for the fate of the Jews in Palestine in the critical years 1945–1948. Though the byword underlying Jewish communal activism of our times, “Never Again,” was not yet readily expressed, in 1948 American Jews took to the streets or rallied in arenas, raised money, and in some cases fought for the Jewish homeland. The memory of the Holocaust surely was with them as they stood with Israel throughout its troubled history—especially during the Six Day War. Meanwhile, whether or not David Ben-Gurion believed in his heart of hearts that the ultimate future of the Jewish people lay only in the Land of Israel, Israeli governments—given the enduring close relationship between Israeli and American Jews, and despite occasional disagreements between brethren—have never asserted that there is no future for American Jewry. Indeed, very often, Israeli officials speak of two primary centers of free Jewish life, Israel and the United States. ...

:psyduck:

I'm sorry, but it seems like he's saying the Holocaust was good - like seriously, it was a good thing - because it allowed the US Jewish community to lobby for Israel and to - again, I apologize, but what else can you say? - practice dual loyalty without being accused of it. That's his takeaway of the Holocaust?

He's also pretty loving disturbingly opposed to Jewish people actually becoming American. If dual loyalty is an antisemitic trope, I don't know how to square his disgust at Jewish Americans who are actually American. It appears throughout, from a quick skim, not just those passages. I skipped over the long sections praising the Jewish "refugees" from the USSR, but his praise for them seems to focus on two things: they hated communism, and they rejected mixing with the American population or adopting any American culture. That's pretty hosed up.

I don't know how representative this book is, but as I said it was very well reviewed, and if it represents even a small part of the Zionist ideology, it's some absolute sicko poo poo.

:psypop:

Imagine writing a book where the Holocaust never happened and describing it as dark and dystopian.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 16:10 on Mar 13, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Grem posted:

I think I speak for everyone here when I say the information you were pulling off twitter and posting here was extremely relevant and you deserve a lot of thanks.

hey man thanks i will still post news but im done with twitter, its actively destroying my emotional state and makes me super sad and depressed all the time, its too much.

im glad they suspended me its time to turn off that poison swamp.

i dont regret any insults and death threats i threw at people they deserved it.

from now on ill be posting updates from aljazeeras website. much healthier that way for my state of mind.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 16:15 on Mar 13, 2024

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

finally got permamently suspended from twitter after months of throwing abuse, insults, slurs and 'death to israel' and 'shut up collaborationist dog fucker' at everyone i can.

finally deleted that stupid waste of time and energy, i never want to look at it ever again. time to be a normal person with a normal intake of social media depression poison.

congrats on the normal

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Nonsense posted:

They shouldn’t wait, SA has special forces, go find these criminals.

Nazi Hunters: The Next Generation

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

speng31b posted:

congrats on the normal
🫡

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

speng31b posted:

congrats on the normal

:yeah:

Thanks for the updates and your perspective these past 5 months, Al-Saqr.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
congrats for being rid of x, the everything app

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
but also:

Sancho Banana posted:

:yeah:

Thanks for the updates and your perspective these past 5 months, Al-Saqr.

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

Godlessdonut posted:

Nazi Hunters: The Next Generation

Reboots all the way down these days

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No one that posts on somethingawful can ever truly be normal ever again, but getting off of Twitter is a good start in the right direction.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the nation had it coming, not the janitor in the trade center that got vaporized by an airliner while making minimum wage

You don't know that, he could have been a straight up a hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I said come in! posted:

No one that posts on somethingawful can ever truly be normal ever again, but getting off of Twitter is a good start in the right direction.

If you post more than 7 times you're considered legally insane