Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

well on Monday the high for Tuesday was forecast to be 60, looks like we topped out at 68 instead, this is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
new chart dropped

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1767578286685864065

i mean, literally dropped. no snow and no ice makes earth a dull boy

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

that reminds me, i need to find some kind of heavy-duty sun hat that'll fit over my enormous head, something that looks cool when i'm a wastelander

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
A noticeable decrease is albedo is normal as you get older.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Mola Yam posted:

new chart dropped

That's dark

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
even the planet is becoming sterile

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Mola Yam posted:

new chart dropped

Blue ocean chew could help?

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I think the temperature is going to keep going continuously up until we hit a new local optimum

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
love to be spitroasted by something the circumference of earth

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
There is a place called Blue Ocean Events on Salisbury Beach and you guys are cheering it's destruction? For shame. That's where thread posters should be gathering for the 1st annual doomin' goonmeet.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

swamp thong posted:

love to be spitroasted by something the circumference of earth

humanity's greatest achievement

a dream realized :unsmith:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the winters have gotten a lot darker now that snow only accumulates for a day or two before melting away

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Earth albedo, my libido

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the winters have gotten a lot darker now that snow only accumulates for a day or two before melting away

this is good for bitcoin

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Mola Yam posted:

new chart dropped

let’s get to work

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

now it's an Event when the Ocean is Blue?

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
im giving the ocean electroconvulsive therapy by throwing my batteries in there as we speak

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Odonata posted:

thread posters should be gathering for the 1st annual doomin' goonmeet.

Oh god
:gooncamp:

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
hello

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

today is the day

one year of global sea temperature highs

https://www.climatecouncil.org.au/resources/unwanted-anniversary-365th-consecutive-day-of-record-breaking-ocean-temperatures/

onward to 730

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

it's fine this is a leap year

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TeenageArchipelago posted:

it's fine this is a leap year

El nino years don't count. Next year is el nino too.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

El nino years don't count. Next year is el nino too.

I see a solution to the crisis

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I've met many goons. Incidents like this are vanishingly rare. Have no fear

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
i wish this niño would let us burn to death in peace

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

when people bring up el nino as the cause for this sudden rise i lose my mind

the last year has been hotter than any point that has sustained human civilization

there have been thousands of el ninos. no year as hot at this one. pretty easy to dismiss el nino as the cause.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I see a solution to the crisis

As the last journalist struggles to type in the rapidly toxifying atmosphere, the headline reads, "Man, this is a long el nino, huh?"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
it's el nino it's supposed to be on fire

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there's a chance of running out of sand suitable for making glass because it has to be sand created via the tides - desert sand, made with the wind, is too sharp and angular to be used in this way

Sand poaching, where some shady outfit will come and hoover up an entire beach, is already a thing in India apparently, and probably a lot of other countries

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Gravid Topiary posted:

that reminds me, i need to find some kind of heavy-duty sun hat that'll fit over my enormous head, something that looks cool when i'm a wastelander

I got one of those waterproof Tilley hats a few years ago and wear it pretty.much daily in all but the dead of winter.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
i just asked my ai how much energy its wasting talking to me and it told me that it consumed four to five times the amount of energy as i would have wasted doing the same thing with google search, so i think everything's gonna be ok

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
ask the AI how to make a better coastal protection sand dune

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Move out of the ocean!

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

Hubbert posted:

ask the AI how to make a better coastal protection sand dune

its answer said i should limit human disturbance so kill the rich i guess

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

there have been thousands of el ninos. no year as hot at this one.
sounds like we’re finally getting good at el niño

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

when people bring up el nino as the cause for this sudden rise i lose my mind

the last year has been hotter than any point that has sustained human civilization

there have been thousands of el ninos. no year as hot at this one. pretty easy to dismiss el nino as the cause.

It's particularly annoying because people who say that are agreeing that things are hosed while arguing with you that everything's fine. Like, yeah, if an el nino is causing an insane record jump in SST that means something is drastically different from even a decade ago and it doesn't loving matter if the temperatures would be slightly lower without el nino's contribution.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I got one of those waterproof Tilley hats a few years ago and wear it pretty.much daily in all but the dead of winter.

I got mine for my birthday in 1998. It's a little ratty, though... I don't think you're supposed to put it in the washing machine.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mags posted:

let’s get to work

gently caress off, Mr. Lomborg.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

That is actually such a big deal if the ocean is just straight up done with absorbing heat

Recalling this excellent post in response to my question: How would the total amount of heat absorbed thus far compare to the global nuclear arsenal at its historic peak?

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Boy

so that means we're adding 7 * 63 * 10^12 J s^-1 of energy to the ocean, 4.41 × 10^14 joules per second.

tsar bomba = 2.25e+17 joules, so roughly one tsar bomba every 500 seconds or 8.5 minutes. that's 1185 tsar bombas per week, or about 61,000 per year.

seems like the total world's first strike capacity was roughly 15,000 megatons at its peak (source https://ourworldindata.org/nuclear-weapons), which is 6.2 x 10^19 J. If we dump 7 Hiroshimas per second into the ocean, then the equivalent energy of the global nuclear arsenal at its peak is released in about 40 hours.

:science:

Absolutely wild! It is probably safe to say we can expect the oceans to get warmer yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

Microplastics posted:

The solution is 3.5% salt and it's coming for your house ahahahaha

lol