Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at waking up to the tiktok thing. I thought it was another virtual signaling thing and would "narrowly" fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Won't address literally any of the serious pressing issues that Americans face, and can't hold onto a speaker of the house for more than a week, but a social media app with videos of people eating nachos off their kitchen countertop is the line in the sand that gets both parties actively working together.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Your move, bitchute

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

kazil posted:

lol Boebert's political career is probably dead

:lol: “I’m not leaving the 3rd district (until November, when I’m leaving for the 4th district)!!” :lol:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I said come in! posted:

Won't address literally any of the serious pressing issues that Americans face, and can't hold onto a speaker of the house for more than a week, but a social media app with videos of people eating nachos off their kitchen countertop is the line in the sand that gets both parties actively working together.

Yeah but it's fine

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I love seeing Lauren try and spin this with typical Republican tricks. Baghdad Bob having a hard time...

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
TikTok is fine here in the UK though, so looking forward to enjoy jellied eel, haggis and orange squash content ONLY.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I said come in! posted:

lol

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1767925793328369983

A lot of people that know how these things work are saying that this probably means Willis is going to not be disqualified because the meat of the argument for why she should be is that she brought a more complicated case that she should have to enrich her boyfriend. Judge is saying the case is justified, so that indicates he doesn't buy the argument that Willis was acting inappropriately in her capacity a prosecutor.

McAfee tossed six of the counts in the case. The gist of the ruling is that Willis did not put sufficient specificity in the indictment. A crime has elements. For drunk driving the elements are basically (1) drunk and (2) driving. The elements of murder are (1) you took someone's life, and (2) you did so intentionally. The elements of manslaughter are (1) you took someone's life, and (2) you did so recklessly. The elements of felon in possession are (1) dude's a felon, (2) dude possessed a gun, and (3) dude knew he possessed a gun. Elements of crimes are important, they're what crimes are made of. If the state fails to prove any one element of the crime, they've failed to prove the crime and the jury must enter a not guilty verdict.

In a felony indictment, the state must allege the elements with specificity. They can't just say "dude possessed a gun," they need to charge that on xyz date in abc county, defendant Three Olives, who has a felony mod trolling conviction from 2022, knowingly possessed a Smith and Weston .356 serial number 12345 in his jacket pocket. See how that's much more specific? The purpose of specificity is that the defendant can prepare a defense. Three Olives knows which gun is at issue, which date and place, and can prepare to challenge that. The flip side of the coin is that the government does not want to get too specific. If they allege that the gun was in his left hip pocket, and turns out it was in his right jacket pocket, that's an acquittal. I've seen cases go down in exactly that scenario. I've personally prosecuted cases where I lost counts because I hosed up the charging document's specificity.

So prosecutors try to make the charging document specific enough but not too specific. And defendants almost always challenge the charging document saying it's not specific enough. It's a standard challenge that any prosecutor expects, and defense attorney at least thinks about, and any judge knows how to handle

Turning to this case, it looks like the charging document alleged conspiracy to commit a felony, but didn't then specifically allege the felony in that same sentence. Instead it alleged the felonious acts elsewhere in the document. The defendants said that's not good enough enumeration of the elements, prosecutor said it was good enough, judge ruled for the defendants and tossed six counts of the indictment.

The remedy I would do in this situation is just to recharge the case. If it were a DUI or felon in possession charge, I'd go back to grand jury and reindict with a new and improved indictment, which would use up about half an hour out of my day full of half an hour grand jury presentations. I have no idea what the remedy is in Georgia. Maybe Willis can ask McAfee to amend the indictment or something, which would save another trip to the immense grand jury. Maybe she doesn't recharge it. I have no idea.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 13, 2024

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

kazil posted:

lol Boebert's political career is probably dead

quote:

Gov. Jared Polis (D) is on track to schedule the special election for June 25, the same day as the state’s primary.
The primary is on the same day as the special election but she's only running for one. :thunk: What dimension chess is this?

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
looking forward to the gop actively embracing china in the near future when the taiwan poo poo goes down

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Disco Pope posted:

TikTok is fine here in the UK though, so looking forward to enjoy jellied eel, haggis and orange squash content ONLY.

Never really thought about Americans not having squash/cordial/whatever

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

The primary is on the same day as the special election but she's only running for one. :thunk: What dimension chess is this?

I don't know if GED-on-the-4th-try havers play a lot of chess

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If Boebert did leave would that mean there would have been a second special election for her current district?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Never really thought about Americans not having squash/cordial/whatever

I think they do, but they don't call it that. Kool Aid is a powder, right?

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Aramis posted:

Even if it happens, Vine 3.0 won't be far behind, sadly. The hole in the digital crack market would cause an absolute feeding frenzy.

YouTube shorts and its halfassed attempt to compete turns into a juggernaut overnight. The intern that coded it retires as a billionaire.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Kool-Aid is a powder, no fruit juice at all. Looking at the juice aisle, the way America makes bad juice palatable is apparently mix it with 50%+ apple juice

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Maybe the kids will flip to paying $10 to post on the forums, baby!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Fate Accomplice posted:

to be clear tik tok is an insidious time waster and is bad for humanity, just like instagram, fb, twitter, etc.

ban them all

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Scags McDouglas posted:

YouTube shorts and its halfassed attempt to compete turns into a juggernaut overnight. The intern that coded it retires as a billionaire.

shorts already seems halfassed, also the "recent"(months old) ui change for channels pages mildly annoys me because they removed the "about" tab and some other tab.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Fate Accomplice posted:

to be clear tik tok is an insidious time waster and is bad for humanity, just like instagram, fb, twitter, etc.

ban them all

Waffle House posted:

It's really not a healthy platform. A lot of the stunts on there are specifically harmful.

sure, but this bill is just anti-China

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Waffle House posted:

It's really not a healthy platform. A lot of the stunts on there are specifically harmful.

That has nothing to do with the platform. Half the embedded videos criticizing GOP stupidity in this thread are sourced from TikTok. Banning it is handing a victory to Facebook, who has done the world no favors either.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

kazil posted:

Maybe if they had gone after Tencent as well. Tiktok's main claim to fame in the US IMO is getting some insane CHUD lady elected to the Oklahoma school board and getting a bunch of Kia cars stolen/black kids arrested in the US.

e: VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV Yeah they really should ban tiktok so people go outside

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
even if you ban the apps, people will find things to dissociate with bc it's a natural reaction to being caught in the grinding wheels of late-stage capitalism

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I said come in! posted:

the nachos is a wet and messy fetish thing op

the “satisfying” videos that never seem to actually be satisfying is edging kink

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kazil posted:

Oh no!

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

shorts already seems halfassed, also the "recent"(months old) ui change for channels pages mildly annoys me because they removed the "about" tab and some other tab.

I don't recall saying it isn't half-assed

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Waffle House posted:

Maybe if they had gone after Tencent as well. Tiktok's main claim to fame in the US IMO is getting some insane CHUD lady elected to the Oklahoma school board and getting a bunch of Kia cars stolen/black kids arrested in the US.

Nah, this was a huge push from Meta and Google to block out a competitor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BigHead posted:

The remedy I would do in this situation is just to recharge the case. If it were a DUI or felon in possession charge, I'd go back to grand jury and reindict with a new and improved indictment, which would use up about half an hour out of my day full of half an hour grand jury presentations. I have no idea what the remedy is in Georgia. Maybe Willis can ask McAfee to amend the indictment or something, which would save another trip to the immense grand jury. Maybe she doesn't recharge it. I have no idea.

The judge specifically says that this is correctable in the same manner. The gist of the demur is that the state charged people with soliciting officers to violate their oaths but didn't specifically say how the solicited conduct would have violated the oath. It seems like a pretty easy defect to correct.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Fate Accomplice posted:

ban them all

:hmmyes:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

Maybe the kids will flip to paying $10 to post on the forums, baby!

i like how this is a decade old self deprecating shibboleth when normal people these days burn decent money on a bunch of subscription services or funbux for live streaming tipping. or super(parasocial) fans paying for higher tiers on things to access higher level discords/comms or credit mentions.

also students/kids probably having a thriving local cash exchange for getting digital balances. never mind that 10$ has for most of the 10+ year accounts here have depreciated to coinage/year.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
:lol: Trump tried to generate money not by asking Elon to make a contribution, but by trying to sell him Truth Social.

https://jalopnik.com/donald-trump-begged-elon-musk-to-buy-truth-social-1851331593

quote:

According to the Washington Post’s sources, that call was to gauge the Twitter Chairman’s interest in purchasing Trump-centric social media site Truth Social. A deal wasn’t struck between the two parties, likely because the site has just 600,000 active users and Trump’s 90 percent ownership of the Mastodon-based social site had generated just $200 in income.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/howardmortman/status/1767908520865738869?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Raymond T. Racing posted:

the nachos is a wet and messy fetish thing op

the “satisfying” videos that never seem to actually be satisfying is edging kink

Wait... you're saying I should have been jacking off the whole time?

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

Fate Accomplice posted:

ban them all

Ushering in a glorious new golden age for these forums upon the corpses of social media platforms

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I'm With Her

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Lifespan posted:

:lol: Trump tried to generate money not by asking Elon to make a contribution, but by trying to sell him Truth Social.

https://jalopnik.com/donald-trump-begged-elon-musk-to-buy-truth-social-1851331593

:lol:

Two years too late. Imagine if Trump could’ve convinced Elon to buy Truth instead of Twitter!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

kazil posted:

Nah, this was a huge push from Meta and Google to block out a competitor.

I do not have Twitter or Facebook installed for the same reason I do not have Tiktok installed.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Lifespan posted:

Lol I didn't even realize it was just a Mastadon clone. That's even funnier because all the fediverse stuff is purposely decentralized and I don't see any instances making money beyond what it takes for upkeep, if that (I prefer Lemmy over Reddit though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Lifespan posted:

LMAO that it's made 200 dollars. How is that possible