Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for low-odor spray primer? I've been 3d printing a ton of stuff, but since it's been -30 outside a lot, I cant spray outside.

I think your options are "brush on" or "buy an airbrush". Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a non-nasty aerosol propellant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Lumpy posted:

I think your options are "brush on" or "buy an airbrush". Hopefully I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a non-nasty aerosol propellant.

I had a feeling this was the case. I guess that's a good excuse to get the airbrush I've been wanting for a while!

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Professor Shark posted:

I have the Attack Squig arm in my bitz box if you ever get the temptation to return to it and need sn arm! I also had this guy 25 years ago and couldn’t paint it the way I envisioned, so this has been a lot of fun for me!

Oh poo poo, I'll let you know! I appreciate it.
I do really love that old-school Necron skull hanging on this version. OG Necrons don't get enough love imo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This model came with a broken back banner, which these models were notorious for, and I toyed with the idea of doing a bunch of snipping, drilling, and pitting in a stronger pole, but in the end the vintage Ork Dread banner with the old Necron head was cool and the easier option!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Spent some of the weekend on these lads, still need some detail work and basing, and I plan to give them all magma swords. I should probably plan the tilt shield designs ahead of time instead of winging it. Nazdreg Yellow remains delightful to work with.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Oops my dark ivory paint turned black on the wet palette overnight. I’m guessing this is pigment separation but would it still be good

In general how long will paint stay useful on the wet palette anyway?

Nessus fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 11, 2024

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Oops my dark ivory paint turned black on the wet palette overnight. I’m guessing this is pigment separation but would it still be good

Did you try using something to stir it back up again? This happens to me a lot on my wet palette and most of the time they reconstitute just fine. It's actually interesting to see the different separated pigments in the paint, like what constitutes each colour mix.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nessus posted:

Realistically: a few hours

The overnight thing is a magical Christmas land that's not really worth the hassle

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yikes, given my habits I should start cutting sheets in half. I’ll see how well the stuff held up.

I did swizzle it a little with a toothpick and it turned back to about the color I expected

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
Speaking of airbrushes, loving this "Used - Like New" airbrush + compressor I got on Amazon.

The lazy part of me is tempted to say gently caress it because the compressor looks fine and it was 15 bux cheaper than just an equivalent compressor, but the part of me that's not an idiot is like why on earth would you trust anything from a company that sold this as "like new".

Anyways, here's a WIP blight hauler that's close to done. I need to finish the eye, punch up the boils, and redo to the verdigris + a few other touch-ups. Trying to finish it up quickly because I'm excited for the next model in my queue.

I'm going to use the 3d printed model below for my first foray into OSL, and I want to try for a really dramatic lighting effect.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It occurs to me after a night of painstaking basecoating: is that what the broad flat brush was for? :nyoron:

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Nessus posted:

It occurs to me after a night of painstaking basecoating: is that what the broad flat brush was for? :nyoron:

Probably not. Flat brushes are mostly used for dry brushing (or large flat panels on vehicles) in miniature painting. They’re likely to catch raised areas and miss recesses because of their shape + ones marketed for minis are often made of really stiff bristles. That said, do whatever works for you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Probably not. Flat brushes are mostly used for dry brushing (or large flat panels on vehicles) in miniature painting. They’re likely to catch raised areas and miss recesses because of their shape + ones marketed for minis are often made of really stiff bristles. That said, do whatever works for you.
I think I just need to use a smaller brush for touch ups and be merciful to myself for being old, rusty and clumsy. Muhreens would probably have been simpler than battle sisters

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah honestly on the basecoat you can get very lazy with it, you're gonna get the details later so don't worry if you overdo it. Honestly probably better to have a bit over aggressive basecoat than have gaps in the paint

E: also thinning your paint, even just a little, also helps it flow better

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think I overthinned honestly but that was also from having the wet palette out overnight. The red and white did look decent after a while but I think a second pass will help. Also a mecha dendritic arm to hold the brush

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Nessus posted:

I think I overthinned honestly but that was also from having the wet palette out overnight. The red and white did look decent after a while but I think a second pass will help. Also a mecha dendritic arm to hold the brush

If you haven't seen it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBDVPoNXyVI on thinning your paints is really worth a watch because it shows the process of making adjustments to reach their desired consistency and talks about how how different applications require different consistencies. Skip to ~11:30 to just see the mixing process if you don't want to watch a twenty minute video. Appropriately thinned some colors still need more coats than others because of the nature of the pigments.

Nothing helps like practice but if you aren't already, try painting with both elbows on the table and your hands braced together at the wrists with your brush hand on top of the hand holding the model. It might feel a bit awkward at first but should greatly help with stabilizing your brush strokes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oh I loved that video and I was going for a milk like consistency. I think some is the skill rust and also having a black base coat instead of grey or white or whatever

The citadel mini stand/holder gizmo is a real blessing

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

i need to remember to put this in the OP

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Working on some Quar

Yellow was my first test model, Teal is my in-prog. I'm using Reaper paints and I'm not really happy with the metallics on Yellow, so I tried to improvise some kinda-sorta NMM on Teal's helmet and gun. Teal also doesn't have the Nuln Oil yet & I'm kinda thinking of keeping it that way and trying brush highlights and shading. It's a little hard to tell in the photo but the bright areas of Teal's skin and jacket are tone highlights and I think the effect is a little more whimsical than Nuln Oiling my shadows?

Is there a good primer on real basic NMM? I don't wanna go too crazy cause I already take wayyy too long to paint.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Any suggestions for a decent airbrush? I think i wanna give it another try

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
How spendy do you want to be

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
On a scale of a straw filled with nuln oil to a badger patriot or iawata eclipse what's your budget on this incredibly vague question?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a decent airbrush tank combo for $100? Looks like the iwata eclipse is $200 which is a bit much i think

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

B O N E Z O N E

Quick tester model for a skellie squad I want to enter into a competition in September. Happy with the colours, think I can achieve a level of execution that's comp-worthy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Radiation Cow posted:

B O N E Z O N E

Quick tester model for a skellie squad I want to enter into a competition in September. Happy with the colours, think I can achieve a level of execution that's comp-worthy.

:swoon:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a decent airbrush tank combo for $100? Looks like the iwata eclipse is $200 which is a bit much i think

I think a better question is what would you like to do with it? Do you just want to basecoat primers and all-over colors? Or do you want to be able to do really detailed airbrushing?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

GreenBuckanneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mMIQ0CWcbQ

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

I think a better question is what would you like to do with it? Do you just want to basecoat primers and all-over colors? Or do you want to be able to do really detailed airbrushing?

I think prime, then basecoat, zenithal, and OSL effects

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I have one of the NONAME brand rechargeable air compressors and I'm really satisfied with it for priming (zenithal and regular) and basecoating though I did have to buy a better airbrush than the absolute POS that came with it, started with a Badger Patriot which is Fine but has also been kind of a pain in the rear end so I've also bought one of the 2024 H&S Ultras though I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Short answer, no.

Longer answer, a tanked compressor is about a hundred bucks or so by itself, and you probably want a brush that costs about the same to start with. lovely compressors and airbrushes are going to make your life miserable.

Don't buy a $500 Sparmax compressor and an H&S Infinity for your first setup either - those things are nice, but it's not worth it when you're starting out, and you're going to bend a needle or lose a nozzle somewhere along your route to learning to use the tool. Do this with a cheaper brush that's got easy-to-find replacement parts, instead of having to buy a whole new $50 crappy brush.

Those cordless bottle-and-airbrush combos are only good for stuff you'd use a rattlecan for, so if you can't drop something in the $250-ish range right now, just save your pennies a while longer.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Short answer, no.

Longer answer, a tanked compressor is about a hundred bucks or so by itself, and you probably want a brush that costs about the same to start with. lovely compressors and airbrushes are going to make your life miserable.

Don't buy a $500 Sparmax compressor and an H&S Infinity for your first setup either - those things are nice, but it's not worth it when you're starting out, and you're going to bend a needle or lose a nozzle somewhere along your route to learning to use the tool. Do this with a cheaper brush that's got easy-to-find replacement parts, instead of having to buy a whole new $50 crappy brush.

Those cordless bottle-and-airbrush combos are only good for stuff you'd use a rattlecan for, so if you can't drop something in the $250-ish range right now, just save your pennies a while longer.

Uehg. Yeah $250 doesn't really feel worth the value for what I'd get out of it, so I guess I'll just wait.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Radiation Cow posted:

B O N E Z O N E

That not-metal is gorgeous!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The positive thing about tools is that the earlier you get them the more value you get out of them. If it turns out that you really like the airbrush for a lot of things more than just priming, it might be a worthwhile investment. Airbrushes are unfortunately not all that modular, especially the compressor. You are going to want to start with one with a tank, so that makes pretty much any decent combo 200 bucks or so. I got a very decent combo on Amazon for 240.

I always recommend tools as a good investment, perhaps the best investment you can make with your hobby dollars. Especially if it becomes a tool you use quite often or for every miniature. Sure 225 might get you a battleforce box, but 225 in tools might help you get better results or more enjoyment out of the next 10 battleforce boxes you buy. And you are going to buy 10 more, it is just a matter of time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y64YQ3M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I find airbrushing fun, even when it's only applying primer or a basecoat.

And yeah it takes a lot of practice I think to get to a point where you can comfortably paint with it, or at least I haven't gotten there yet.

Wish I could do more with it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

If you have a vehicle heavy army or any army with lots of flat panels, like dreadnaughts and whatnot, it is really easy to get your base coats on, but you can also use contrast paint or washes even sometimes to good effect as well. If you get good with masking you can do quite a bit with vehicles. There are also some paints that only work really well with the airbrush, in particular the color shifter metallic paints. I really like those, I make a lot of geode looking terrain with them.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Lostconfused posted:

I find airbrushing fun, even when it's only applying primer or a basecoat.

And yeah it takes a lot of practice I think to get to a point where you can comfortably paint with it, or at least I haven't gotten there yet.

Wish I could do more with it.

Here's what you do. Go to your local hobby shop and buy the Tamiya 1/35th Panzer II. It'll cost you between ten and fifteen bucks tops, it goes together like magic, and it's a big boxy thing with flat surfaces and stamped-in detail that's great to learn how to shade on. It even comes with some figures you can test out. It's cheap as can be, ubiquitously available, and the best part is, if you gently caress it up, it's a lovely German tank and the only people who will care suck.

Once you're done with the first paint job, repaint it in increasing garish colors, or hack it up to make it into a very cheap terrain piece.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
airbrushing looks pretty for some things, but i have an apartment and cats :(

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
First time getting into paint conversion from Citadel to Vallejo Game Color and I've been using the github sheet, as well as the Hobby Color Convert app.

Is it just me or are the paints totally different? Like not even subtly lighter or darker, but entire colors missing from a mix. I even added Dawnstone to my own pallet and compared it with StoneWall Grey from Vallejo, and they don't compare at all. What makes it worse is how different all of these comparisons are across multiple apps. Very confusing.

A simple leather recipe from Citadel goes Dryad Bark -> Rhinox Hide -> Mournfang Brown -> XV-88/Skrag Brown. The color comparison to Vallejo is just off. I'm also not very good at mixing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sometimes they also change the formula being used, people complain about that periodically on facebook or whatever when someone is like "look these two shades are nothing alike!!" of their pots of citadel paint or whatever.

my ex used to complain when a skein of yarn wasn't from the same batch because the pigment ends up being slightly off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Ominous Jazz posted:

airbrushing looks pretty for some things, but i have an apartment and cats :(

You can get downdraft/spray booths with an exhaust vent going outside a window, so you don't need to worry about it. I also have an apartment