Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, but the bestiary this time around doesn't include doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

DatonKallandor posted:

That looks like one of those commercial Half Life 1 mods. It's just got that vibe.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Music is very HL1/HL2 also.

I initially thought it was an old, unearthed demo for a game from the 2000's for these same reasons, and was very confused for a few moments.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The console port of the System Shock Remake has been dated for May 21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zct6_8yhQG0

This will presumably coincide with the Very Big Patch on the PC.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
WRATH got patched today:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1000410/view/4141694364930729681?l=english

quote:

Fixed OpenGL corruption on MenuQC entrypoints when steamoverlay is enabled on AMD GPUs
Prioritized dedicated GPU on both Nvidia and AMD
Changed Soul Tether Limit to 3 for Outlander Difficulty
Set Encounter Level to the max of 5 on each map for Outlander Difficulty
Increased Enemy Damage for Outlander Difficulty
Changed Soul Tether Limit to 9 for Hard Difficulty
Changed intro level camera angle
Infinite Saving option now saves after restarting the game
Fixed Shotgun switch bug
Fixed Slagcannon Alt Fire Delay
Fixed red invincible monsters from warp spawner issue with Confounding Attar
Fixed invincible Afflicted
Fixed missing q3 shader for Prowler’s Life Siphon effect
Fixed Keeper updating in the Journal and its Life Siphon effect
Fixed sound entities
Added set_origin and set_angles debug commands
Added scr_nohud cvar
Added cvar m_yaw values seta custom_m_yaw 1
Keybind fixes
Some fixes to high FOV
Updated intro map with texture fixes
Updated E1M3 with texture fixes
Updated E1M5 with item spawning fix
Updated E2M2 with enemy spawn, texture, and item fixes
Updated E2M4 monster clip around center lift
Updated E2M5 for performance fix
Updated E3M1 with clip fixes
Updated E3M3 with steam sounds
Updated E3M4 with clip fixes
Fixed Spanish Localization Graphics in Profile Menu
Updated localization strings
Updated Enemies Shader For Lurker Gibs

koren
Sep 7, 2003

quote:

Changed Soul Tether Limit to 3 for Outlander Difficulty
Changed Soul Tether Limit to 9 for Hard Difficulty
Set Encounter Level to the max of 5 on each map for Outlander Difficulty
Great news! I won't be finishing a run with 137 soul tethers anymore and outlander is functioning properly at last.

quote:

Increased Enemy Damage for Outlander Difficulty
This is a huge drag and will just amplify the all or nothing issues with the combat. Will have to see how it shakes out in practice.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It outlander a difficulty that is unlocked after beating the game?

What does this mean?
"Set Encounter Level to the max of 5 on each map for Outlander Difficulty"

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Yes it is. From what I recall the encounter level determines what enemies are in each map and it increments throughout an episode as you collect the rune things / get geared up. This at least is how it worked in early access, not sure how it affects episodes 2 and 3.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

The console port of the System Shock Remake has been dated for May 21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zct6_8yhQG0

This will presumably coincide with the Very Big Patch on the PC.

I hope this sells like gangbusters and Night Dive get to make a proper sequel :allears:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I would literally commit a murder for Night Dive to do to System Shock 2 what they did for the SS1 Remake. Literally.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I would literally commit a murder for Night Dive to do to System Shock 2 what they did for the SS1 Remake. Literally.

That would, without question, be totally rad and I'd absolutely buy it. But I kinda want them to just make their own from scratch, no restrictions.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I would literally commit a murder

Dramicus posted:

That would, without question, be totally rad

:thunk:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I think I spot a volunteer

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Just give me more Nightdive System Shock. Don't tell me how the sausage is made.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Did the Wrath update broke something? Some hours ago I was playing Boundaries of the Living, and it looked great, moody. Now I load it up again, and it looks like this

I will restart Windows, just in case.

edit: reboot didn't fix it. Gamma/contrast/brightness is at default. Verifying files didn't fix it. This is how it should look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWyfwXsSYZc

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 12, 2024

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

What does this mean?
"Set Encounter Level to the max of 5 on each map for Outlander Difficulty"
What that sounds like - and I can't really be bothered to test - is that the levels within a hub may have some sort of scaling for the order you do them in so you don't get completely hosed over by wondering into the wrong map first.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Did the Wrath update broke something? Some hours ago I was playing Boundaries of the Living, and it looked great, moody. Now I load it up again, and it looks like this:

From the 3d realms discord:

quote:

In WRATH we’ve noted an issue with Boundary of the Living’s lightmaps and some still having issues with main menu flickering, so we are preparing those for a hotfix

If you have any issues while playing today let me know!

Hopefully they'll fix it soon.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

koren posted:

After experimenting with outlander for a bit, my biggest annoyance is getting instantly nailed by a projectile when dodging around a corner at close range against the big frog, coach gun wielding grunt or most dangerously of all, the metal fella with the slag cannon. These enemies seem to know when you're about to peek them and pre-fire accordingly. It disincentivises the kind of aggressive play and dancing around enemies you can do in Quake and makes me want to take much wider angles around obstacles and corners instead. On top of this, the slag cannon guy has an attack that predicts where the player is going to be, rather than firing at their current position (think of chton's lava balls in quake). If you're playing aggressively and try to get in their faces, you run a big risk of eating twin 50 damage projectiles before you can react and change course. Enemy projectiles are extremely fast in general, likely to help counterbalance the player's base speed and acceleration with the blade, which makes close range projectile dodging rough.

I'm just on the act1 boss now, but unless the slag guy means someone different than the guy I know, he doesn't lead his shots? Same with the other blokes. Which is kinda a complaint I have with the game, the turret enemies vomiting out projectiles which aren't hard to dodge, just tedious. Unless of course they actually start leading their shots on outlander, which is awesome and why the hell is it gated behind a difficulty instead of the default setting?!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

koren posted:

From the 3d realms discord:

Ah ok, so it only affects that map. What I feared was that it was a general issue and the remaining maps I have wouldn't look right.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The remake was so goddamn good I hadn't been sucked into a game like that since Elden Ring.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've never been able to get into the original System Shock even with the remaster and I loved the remake; I usually am playing multiple games at once but I pretty much just focused on the remake from beginning to end once I started.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Groovelord Neato posted:

The remake was so goddamn good I hadn't been sucked into a game like that since Elden Ring.

Yep, Steam has clocked my time with the remake at 30 hours, and I feel like I really did marathon that. It's really unusual for a game to captivate me for that amount of time these days.

I hear that big patch that's coming has some Steam Deck optomisation, in addition to the controller improvements for the console release, which will almost certainly be enough to prompt another run for me. It'd be nice to have a release date for SS2 as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I... I think I need to play all of the boomshoots. All of them.

Of this new..... I don't know, platinum age of retro-styled fps games, I've played:

Project Warlock
Dusk
Doom 2016
Doom Eternal (not finished yet)
Cultic (also not done)
Shadow Warrior (the first one of the reboot games)

... and the demos for
Turbo Overkill
Amid Evil
Fallen Aces (does this count?)
Selaco
Project Warlock 2, but I refunded it and will wait until it's done/out of EA. Controls felt not good.

I should mention that I've also played the classics, like:

- all of the Dooms, though I'm not quite finished 64 and 3
- the Quakes
- UT99 and the fps love of my life, UT2k4 :swoon:
- the Half-Lives
- Borderlands 1 & 2
- Duke 3D, a bunch of add-ons, the 64 version, Time to Kill, but not more than the demo for Forever. Bleh.
- the Serious Sams
- Blood
- Shadow Warrior
- Heretic
- a bunch of really older ones, like Catacomb Abyss (my personal favourite), Wolf, Blake Stone, Nitemare 3D :rolleyes:

I'm probably forgetting some (I mean, I love Void Bastards, but that's doesn't really fit what I'm going for).

Once I'm done Cultic, I'll probably wait for the upcoming Steam sale but what bonkers insane fps do y'all recommend I pick up next? Nightmare Reaper looks REALLY fun and I might check that one out. That and Turbo Overkill are currently my main two in the running for 'what's next'.

Edit: ah, I still have to play through Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, so that's actually next.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 13, 2024

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

put HROT on the list

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

put HROT on the list

Is it that good? I see a poo poo load of brown, which is.... fine, but man.... I remember not liking making Forge levels in Halo 3 because of how blue/grey EVERYTHING seemed to be back then.

Is it basically Quake getting the Dusk treatment? Actually, I don't know how that would work, Dusk is already super Quake-like.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is it that good? I see a poo poo load of brown, which is.... fine, but man.... I remember not liking making Forge levels in Halo 3 because of how blue/grey EVERYTHING seemed to be back then.

Is it basically Quake getting the Dusk treatment? Actually, I don't know how that would work, Dusk is already super Quake-like.

HROT is near the top of the FPS renaissance in my rankings - it's DUSK, CULTIC, and HROT as the holy trinity (thus far) for me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

HROT is near the top of the FPS renaissance in my rankings - it's DUSK, CULTIC, and HROT as the holy trinity (thus far) for me.

Alright, well... Sold.

I do enjoy more goofy options, which is probably why I wasn't really looking at HROT and was moving more towards Nightmare Reaper and Turbo Overkill. I consider Cultic and Dusk kind of in the middle of those two extremes.

Anyway, I'll try it, for sure.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I enjoyed HROT quite a bit, and I'm not a diehard Quake fan. It's a solid boomer shooter. The aggressively brown decor never grew on me, however.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

HROT is amazing, please don't judge it by its appearance. Someone posted a cool infodump on Czech lore earlier in the thread which is a pro-read, sadly I can't remember when it was posted tho

Other cool games you didn't already mention:

Platform agnostic:
System Shock Remake
Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengeance of the Slayer
Deus Ex (I like the GMDX mod personally)
Wizordum
Rise of the Triad: Ludicrous Edition
Powerslave Exhumed
Turok (I'd say just play the first, the second is a meandering mess with some really interesting ideas)
Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 (get the mod that reinstates the original FMV briefings, the new ones suck)
STAR WARS: Dark Forces (original through DarkXLThe Force Engine is good, HD remaster also good but more expensive)
STAR WARS: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight (use the OpenJKDF2 source port)
STAR WARS: Dark Forces III: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
STAR WARS: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Strife: Veteran Edition
Terra Nova (like HROT, please do not judge this game by the screenshots)
SiN Gold (use the Dominatrix source port)
Outlaws

Steam only:
Black Mesa (Half-Life 1 remake in the Source engine)

Only on GOG:
Soldier of Fortune 1 (the sequel is ok but not great)
Clive Barker's Undying (use the Renewal mod)
Star Trek: Elite Force 1 & 2
SWAT 4 (not really a boomshooter but it's good)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six (as above)
The Wheel of Time (I haven't actually played this yet but it looks ok)

Not for sale digitally
Prey 2006 (you can find CD copies on ebay, or probably on archive.org)
Wolfenstein 2009 (as above, it's on archive.org)
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (includes a remaster of the first game)
No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 (look for the 'revival' versions online)

Do not play under any circumstances
Witchaven 1 & 2
Soldier of Fortune: Payback
WWII GI
Blood II
Kingpin Remastered (somehow manages to make the original game look like a masterpiece)

Kinsie also maintains a decent list here: https://trello.com/b/UJEhTigw/sector-effectors

Convex fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 13, 2024

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
HROT is so fuckin good, it has a really unique silliness that I really love.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I enjoyed HROT a lot when I played it last year. The brown didn't bother me at all, and it's got a sense of humor to it that is fairly unique as far as boomshoots go.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
DELICIOUS CANNED POULTRY

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

You should play Ultrakill.

It's not a 1:1 fit to either the classic boom shooters or the modern renaissance, but I think it's analogous enough that if you're working your way through this genre, you kinda have to see it.

I've never quite got into it, only ever playing each episode a couple of times, and I'm still yet to even get around to the latest one. But the people who like Ultrakill seem to really loving love it. And it's one of those games that's just.. worth seeing for what it is.

I agree with DUSK and CULTIC being in the top tier (haven't played HROT yet), but I think Ultrakill sits in the next bracket down as a "Required Reading" thing that anyone invested in this genre should at least take a look at. Some would argue it absolutely should be bumped up to GOAT tier.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Convex posted:

HROT is amazing, please don't judge it by its appearance. Someone posted a cool infodump on Czech lore earlier in the thread which is a pro-read, sadly I can't remember when it was posted tho

Platform agnostic:
System Shock Remake
Wizordum
Powerslave Exhumed
Turok (I'd say just play the first, the second is a meandering mess with some really interesting ideas)
Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 (get the mod that reinstates the original FMV briefings, the new ones suck)
STAR WARS: Dark Forces (original through DarkXL engine is good, HD remaster also good but more expensive)

Outlaws

Steam only:

Only on GOG:

Not for sale digitally
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (includes a remaster of the first game)

Thanks! I crossed off the items that I've already played, or at least played most of that "I'm good". I'm really torn on RotT. I love love loved it back in the day, and played the demo of the Ludicrous Edition, but I feel like it's a game that lives much better in my memories than when I attempt to play it again.

One specific reason is the audio and how bullet spongey everyone is. The machine gun sounds like a tap dancer on too much caffeine, while the pistols are just booming. I very much appreciate the fact that the sounds have been updated, but it still doesn't make me enjoy it any more nowadays. I feel like I've had my fill, forever. Maybe not. But maybe.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Thanks! I crossed off the items that I've already played, or at least played most of that "I'm good". I'm really torn on RotT. I love love loved it back in the day, and played the demo of the Ludicrous Edition, but I feel like it's a game that lives much better in my memories than when I attempt to play it again.

One specific reason is the audio and how bullet spongey everyone is. The machine gun sounds like a tap dancer on too much caffeine, while the pistols are just booming. I very much appreciate the fact that the sounds have been updated, but it still doesn't make me enjoy it any more nowadays. I feel like I've had my fill, forever. Maybe not. But maybe.

Yeah that's fair enough! I forgot to add that you should also consider the Death Wish and Marrow mods for BLOOD if you didn't already play those. Also I got the name of the Dark Forces port wrong, it's now called The Force Engine

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna at least namedrop Dread Templar which while nowhere near as amazing as the unholy trinity (whatever its composition may be - Dusk, Cultic and Amid Evil for me) is still a very solid shooter elevated by fun weapon customization and really catchy music. It's been on my mind lately because I'm currently playing Wrath and keep thinking it was a better version of that.

Also really like Blood West but the only thing that's got in common with retroshoots is the aesthetic, it's more of a stealth/immsim type game.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Convex posted:

Platform agnostic:
System Shock Remake
Wizordum
Powerslave Exhumed
STAR WARS: Dark Forces (original through DarkXLThe Force Engine is good, HD remaster also good but more expensive)
Outlaws

Steam only:

Only on GOG:

Not for sale digitally

Witchaven 1 & 2
WWII GI
Blood II
Kingpin Remastered (somehow manages to make the original game look like a masterpiece)

Kinsie also maintains a decent list here: https://trello.com/b/UJEhTigw/sector-effectors

Dear lord, man. This list is rad.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Convex posted:

Platform agnostic:
System Shock Remake
Wizordum
Powerslave Exhumed
Outlaws

Steam only:

Only on GOG:

Not for sale digitally

Witchaven 1 & 2
WWII GI
Blood II

This is Corridor 7 erasure and I won’t stand for it

thank you for the list, I didn’t even know there was an open source recreation of Jedi Knight II’s executable!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I forgot Prodeus. I really want Prodeus. So, right now, my top 3 "next buys" are HROT, Turbo Overkill, and.... Well, I guess it's a toss up between Nightmare Reaper and Prodeus.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I found Prodeus extremely mid, with some questionable decisions made around saving / respawning and a boring bestiary.

Nightmare Reaper has its problems: make sure you turn down a bunch of its graphical bells and whistles as they're just ugly, and its leveling system should never have left the prototype stage. But it also has some real fun guns and satisfying movement, with an arena mode I must have sunk a whole lot of hours into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Prodeus is easily the most "I might as well just be playing more Doom 2" of the more recent boomshoots.