Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The best Trek was Babylon 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

The best Trek was Babylon 5.

:haibrower:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Babylon 2 was good with londo and g'kar, but it would have been better without the babylon 3 worth of self-insert character lord of the rings stuff

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Grendels Dad posted:

If I remember correctly, his character was supposed to be more overtly high as gently caress. They scrapped that to make the movie more family friendly, but he's still pretty obviously high.
My head-cannon was always that he got high making out with the alien chick (pheromones or toxins or whatever, I don't know). Or shock. There was definitely something way too chill about his demeanor, but without the context, it does came across as odd.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ommin posted:

My head-cannon was always that he got high making out with the alien chick (pheromones or toxins or whatever, I don't know). Or shock. There was definitely something way too chill about his demeanor, but without the context, it does came across as odd.

It definitely was odd and he was like that right from the start. There were so many signifiers like him wandering off to get snacks and they just never made it explicit.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Cowslips Warren posted:

everyone in this movie is so perfect but i have a hard time believing Tony Shalhoub just didn't wander onto set high and improv everything.
Like he's actually doing what Tim Allen is only pretending to be doing.

In any similar situation I can only hope I'd be able to just go with it similarly.

stringless has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Mar 11, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jen heir rick posted:

I don't know, I feel like I remember a lot of ds9. Maybe I watched the first season? I remember all the characters and their backstories pretty vividly. I liked the characters, but it just seemed like nothing happens. I want to get to the part where something happens. I just really don't want to watch season 1 again.

I think it's the second season when they start dropping hints of the Dominion and the third is when things start to escalate quickly. But yeah, the first season is a bit dull and felt more like "TNG but on a station" than it's own thing.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ommin posted:

Maybe the alien chick just made it stronger later, but I remember him being pretty calm about almost everything before that too. Remember the transport scene where veryone else was freaking out screaming and he lands a little bit after them and just looks around and says huh, that was a hell of a thing and just smiles.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Cowslips Warren posted:

Maybe the alien chick just made it stronger later, but I remember him being pretty calm about almost everything before that too. Remember the transport scene where veryone else was freaking out screaming and he lands a little bit after them and just looks around and says huh, that was a hell of a thing and just smiles.

Just watched this yesterday cause I'd never seen it before. This is correct; he's obviously gonked out from the beginning. The reason he's transported after them is he's trying to get snacks from the vending machine.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Cowslips Warren posted:

This is why I also thought maybe it was shock.

Diet Poison posted:

Just watched this yesterday cause I'd never seen it before. This is correct; he's obviously gonked out from the beginning. The reason he's transported after them is he's trying to get snacks from the vending machine.
Time for a rewatch!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I rewatched yesterday and yeah, Guy even says "are you stoned??" at one point

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I kinda assumed he was just like that, to be honest.

Like this guy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

He hotboxed the transporter beam crystal thing, there's smoke coming out of his but not the others.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Tunicate posted:

He hotboxed the transporter beam crystal thing, there's smoke coming out of his but not the others.

I read this as "there's smoke coming out of his butt" and thought well I missed THAT.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Oh, that's there, too, did you miss that?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've been watching The Sopranos lately, and this scene is playing and I find it extremely distracting

The focus is so soft that I'm convinced this is a death dream or hallucination

Every scene in this season is this way. Every background looks like a dreamy matte filter

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

credburn posted:

I've been watching The Sopranos lately, and this scene is playing and I find it extremely distracting

Every scene in this season is this way. Every background looks like a dreamy matte filter

Maybe they're using too wide an aperture cause they forgot how to light stuff?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

credburn posted:

Might be the void of pure light outside the windows?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Lighting by the same people who did the stained glass hospital rooms in Scrubs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that annoys me about the 90s X-Men cartoon is Beast's refusal to wear clothes. They make clothes for big guys, Hank. Hairy guys wear clothes too, Hank.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Something that annoys me about the 90s X-Men cartoon is Beast's refusal to wear clothes. They make clothes for big guys, Hank. Hairy guys wear clothes too, Hank.

If you can walk around naked why wouldn't you? There's a reason people consider him a genius.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Ugh, imagine wearing a fur coat under a leotard. If I were Hank, they'd be lucky I was wearing briefs.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
was it this thread or another that had some comic panels of Beast being a massive a-hole?

like pretending to be gay to hurt his ex, or having a council of clones of himself, but he made the clones shortsighted so original had a "greater vision"? (also i dont get why the clones dont just do lasik on each other)

e: there's been plenty of full furry humanoids that are technically naked, i mean yeah 99.9999....99999% of them are female, but there's a non zero amount of males.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
In the Age of Apocalypse storyline where an alternate universe pops up due to Professor X being assassinated, Beast goes full heel. When the timeline resets itself "Dark Beast" finds a way to the regular 616 universe.

There are other instances where regular 616 Hank McCoy is revealed to be an rear end in a top hat too but those instances are also escaping my mind.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Being a mastermind behind a ton of the X-Men stuff, including killing wolverine plus brainwashing his clones into killing people for him, plus doing some seriously dark poo poo to follow his new vision, kinda makes the regular beast way darker than the"dark" one from aoa.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think that came up before and it's real dumb poo poo given the whole charm of Beast being a gentle soft spoken intellectual who's also a huge hairy monster. The cartoons had him be basically the nicest of the X-Men.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Jen heir rick posted:

Maybe they're using too wide an aperture cause they forgot how to light stuff?

lots of early 2000s tv has a similar problem.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It was one thing for Xavier to have secretly been a monster, but Beast? That idea was just stupid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Android Apocalypse posted:

There are other instances where regular 616 Hank McCoy is revealed to be an rear end in a top hat too but those instances are also escaping my mind.

He's a massive coffee snob. You don't really need more.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Jedit posted:

He's a massive coffee snob. You don't really need more.

(Spittakes fine single origin Ethiopian Wolenso Dabessa)

"Wait a minute… I'm Dr. Hank McCoy?!?"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i watched Titane recently and it seems like nearly every single scene is designed to make the viewer more uncomfortable than the last in fresh and exciting ways

but the grossest and most irritating part is that multiple characters put alexia’s hairpin in their mouths over the course of the movie, often immediately after it is in someone’s loving brain, loving blechhhhh

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Barry

Cousineau told his son that he had a new phone number, how did Sally know it?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In the Age of Apocalypse storyline where an alternate universe pops up due to Professor X being assassinated, Beast goes full heel. When the timeline resets itself "Dark Beast" finds a way to the regular 616 universe.

The Watcher paid him a special visit just to call him an rear end in a top hat:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"I saw you trying to clean yourself cat-style. Please never do that again."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I just finished watching the entire series of The Sopranos.

It was a good show but it was so directionless. Tony Soprano works as a good central character for everything going on, but he is a terrible character to be the focus of the show. Nobody in this show has any arc at all, except his nephew Chris, his wife Carmella and kids Meadow and AJ. But the kids never get enough time for that arc to develop, and though Chris and the wife briefly have their couple episodes of having agency, that sort of just fizzles away and they just return to orbit around Tony. It's a show that is frustrating in how much better it could have been. If you watch an episode from Season 1 and an episode from Season 6, nobody has changed. Some characters have died, and others have taken their place, but nobody is any different. Nobody evolves, nobody learns anything, there is no character development at all. There's no storyline that goes anywhere. Every season has maybe or two interesting characters that are introduced, but there's never really a setup or resolution about what the seasons are about. It's just barely a step above Law and Order in terms of continuity; there IS continuity, but to what end?

I get why the final scene is really significant, though, and I think not only a well-done scene but also sort of addresses the issue of same-ness throughout the series. The final scene of the series famously cuts to black, with no resolution. But because the scene repeats the same beats as the show has has throughout the series to show when someone is about to get killed, you know what happens next. The guy looking over his shoulder, the constant ringing of the bell as strangers enter the diner, the camera following the guy to the bathroom, the tension of Meadow unable to properly parallel park. The show expects that you're by now familiar with its editing and cinematography moreso than its bland and unchanging characters with their singular mindsets and motivations. I can't really imagine a conclusion to The Sopranos that has a better ending, because anything else suggests a conclusion to a storyline or arc that was never there to begin with.

credburn has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Mar 20, 2024

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I'm trying to think, has there ever been a series that was remade as a series, like a movie being remade? Maybe the next time someone makes the Sopranos, they can fix those issues.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ommin posted:

I'm trying to think, has there ever been a series that was remade as a series, like a movie being remade? Maybe the next time someone makes the Sopranos, they can fix those issues.

Battlestar Galactica comes to mind.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ommin posted:

I mean, if you look at stuff remade in another country, you get a lot of stuff, like Sanford and Son or The Office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006

Battlestar Galactica comes to mind.
Wow, yeah, that's probably the best example.