Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Entropic posted:

Several dozen calls came in this morning...

Apparently all of the Avaya phone systems we support came with 10 years of DST time changes pre-programmed into them. No one ever bothered to really look at this, because why would you? 10 years is basically forever.
That 10 years started counting on 2014.

Was someone banking on DST being a thing of the past in 2024?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Guess he/his boss decided being in general population wasn't a good idea with the lunatics you have loose in your office.

"Where's NewHire?"
"He was moved to solitary."

Meanwhile, Dentist Appt Guy... what fake name did I give him... Sam. Sam Suspect. Sam is back in office, denying everything, and muttering that if they try firing him over this they better lawyer up. He might still be on the good drugs.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Hotel Kpro posted:

Was someone banking on DST being a thing of the past in 2024?

I mean .....it SHOULD be.

(as in we should move to permanent DST)

(if you live in the north I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but darkness ain't one)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why would you have a look up table of DST when you could just do something sane like have a rule that checks if it's the last Sunday of March or whatever.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Because when Congress changed DST in 2007 they phased it in and the day changed by a week for like a decade. A lot of DST had static dates that couldn't be changed and part of that big disaster was adding flexible dates.

It's been so long and I'm still mad at Microsoft for bundling their Exchange DST 2007 fix in with permission changes that hosed Blackberries and caused a bunch of work.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 12, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also that post made me feel very very old.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SyNack Sassimov posted:

(if you live in the north I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but darkness ain't one)
Funny thing is that 49 of the 50 US states are so far south that it completely dodges the problem in Ireland where it's dark at both ends of the school day.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Internet Explorer posted:

Because when Congress changed DST in 2007 they phased it in and the day changed by a week for like a decade. A lot of DST had static dates that couldn't be changed and part of that big disaster was adding flexible dates.

It's been so long and I'm still mad at Microsoft for bundling their Exchange DST 2007 fix in with permission changes that hosed Blackberries and caused a bunch of work.

one of the quieter but most incredibly stupid bush administration moves

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At the risk of making people read about technologies that they thought had been left behind, is there a simple ASP.NET script that I can chuck on an IIS host and get some debug info out of it that would be relevant for Kerberos auth?

The use case is doing a proof-of-concept on deploying Azure Entra Application Proxy to sit in front of some legacy applications so we can remove the need for domain joined clients, remove VPN, and get some conditional access going. The problem I have is that the application is quite complicated and I've never touched Application Proxy before in its Kerberos delegation guise so I am not sure if I'm chasing a problem with the app or with my setup. Ideally I'd have a one pager I can chuck on IIS and when Application Proxy is working you'll browse to the external URL, complete MFA or whatever Conditional Access wants you to do, and then be staring at a debug page that contains your username to prove the login worked.

If there's success logging in Application Proxy that can show the username of the delegation as well then that would be helpful because at the moment it's only writing to the event log when there's a problem.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SyNack Sassimov posted:

DST is stupid.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

dragonshardz posted:

DST is stupid.

I can't tell if you're agreeing with my position that we should not change times twice a year, or disagreeing with setting the permanent time to the shifted-forward-an-hour one. If it's the former, :hfive:, if it's the latter, :wrong:

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I can't tell if you're agreeing with my position that we should not change times twice a year, or disagreeing with setting the permanent time to the shifted-forward-an-hour one. If it's the former, :hfive:, if it's the latter, :wrong:

Are we on DST right now? Cause this poo poo sucks. In the summer it doesn't get dark til like 10 o'clock where I am. Go away sun I'm trying to sleep. I have work in the morning.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The alternative is sunrise at 4:30am and gently caress that noise.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Sunrise could be loving 12 noon for all I care as long as we could stop changing the clocks

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'm all for that. But I want to stay with it forward.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AlexDeGruven posted:

The alternative is sunrise at 4:30am and gently caress that noise.
Move to Ireland. In the middle of summer it technically doesn't get dark at all.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Move to Ireland. In the middle of summer it technically doesn't get dark at all.

There are so many reasons I'd rather be in Ireland.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

grew up in a place that had that, was pretty cool

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Arquinsiel posted:

I've day dreamed about it. I haven't done a ton of research but I guess there is some sort of "Critical Job" list where foreigner workers would have an easier time of moving there and finding work? I'm not sure if IT is on there but Nursing is, and I have a dusty but active license.

How do you say "You have the diabetes" in Irish?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thanks Ants posted:

Why would you have a look up table of DST when you could just do something sane like have a rule that checks if it's the last Sunday of March or whatever.

This is one of many questions I have for Avaya.
Their user interface for setting the time change dates is absolutely abysmal too. You pick the year for the start date, click through a calendar to choose the day, then click to choose the end date and it starts you back at January 2014. Then to enter the time of day it doesn’t let you type I. The time you have to scroll through a clock except tying to numbers has seemingly random results. After doing a bunch the fastest way I found to get to 2:00AM was to click on the time field that starts at 12:00 AM and then type 1 2 1 2 1 which someone gets you to 1:59AM and then you can go up by one.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Arquinsiel posted:

You made the mistake of not moving on before the first of your traps went off.

Well it wasn’t MY trap it was Avaya’s, but also sort of my trap for not noticing that the systems we were deploying did not actually have default configs containing the next ten years of DST changes, they all came with a default config containing ten years of DST changes covering 2014 - 2023 including ones we bought and deployed as recently as a month ago.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Hughmoris posted:

"tá diaibéiteas ort"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Arquinsiel posted:

It still being light at 22:30 in Mayo was cool

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Arquinsiel posted:

Ireland isn’t even close to the arctic circle, what are you on about?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

ssb posted:

It's technically twilight in Ireland (and here in Scotland) through the night around the summer solstice.
Still dark though. Just enough light that you don't get a good view of the stars.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

ssb posted:

Even in Northern Michigan twilight persists well past 1130pm and dawn starts around 230-3am. Ireland is even farther north than the northernmost point of MI.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

DST sucks and I want to stop changing my loving clocks twice a year. I don't care what the clock says when the sun rises or sets, either permanently on or off is fine.

The current 3-week period where the US is on summer time ,while the rest of the world is still on winter time, is the stupidest result of DST ever.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I've somehow missed the dst transition a couple times in a row by being on a trip to someplace that didn't do it. So I just had normal jet lag, and honestly the dst transition is just as bad.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'd much rather have travel related jetlag than the most painfully stupid bullshit related jetlag.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hughmoris posted:

I've day dreamed about it. I haven't done a ton of research but I guess there is some sort of "Critical Job" list where foreigner workers would have an easier time of moving there and finding work? I'm not sure if IT is on there but Nursing is, and I have a dusty but active license.

Have you tried being obscenely rich? Invest a mere €300k in property and you can still get permanent residency in Cyprus (and from there, in the rest of the EU) :eng101:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ssb posted:

civil twilight is awesome

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

what sucks is when the sun hangs on the horizon forever shining right in your eyes

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Time changes have never even slightly bothered me sleep-wise, but then I’ve also never been bothered by jet lag if it’s less than transatlantic. Skill issue IMO. Git gud. Be less sleep deprived in your regular schedule.

Also it takes like 1 to 5 button presses to change the time on most cars, ovens, etc. I swear to god people who complain about that are just projecting their memories of 90s comedy routines about VCRs onto something that has actually been incredibly easy for decades.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

the time change never used to bother me, but as I get older, losing that hour in Spring gets harder and harder. Grandpa Simpson meme.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

My kitchen clock is my only device that doesn't auto adjust for daylight saving and is usually the only reason I know it happened.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Entropic posted:

Also it takes like 1 to 5 button presses to change the time on most cars, ovens, etc. I swear to god people who complain about that are just projecting their memories of 90s comedy routines about VCRs onto something that has actually been incredibly easy for decades.
Some effort is worse than no effort. I think people object to how arbitrary it is. There's literally no reason to have to do that. It's another little thing I have do. throw it on the pile.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
I drive east in the morning and west in the evening on my daily commute. DST sucks rear end because right when the sun is finally high/low enough above/below the horizon to not be directly in my eyes, we change the clocks so I have to deal with it for another month. Stupid.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Jen heir rick posted:

There's literally no reason to have to do that.

I live in San Francisco. If not for DST, dawn would be before 5 am for two months, mid-May to mid-July. If permanent DST, dawn would be after 8 am - after I get to work - for about three months, 11/23 - 2/13.

I'll take four days of mild jetlag over nearly five months of bullshit, please and thank you.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Little kids are greatly effected by DST which can in turn make it awful for their parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

New client bingo card: already checked off 'on-prem exchange,' 'windows server essentials,' 'please activate windows'. lookin good