Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

hallo spacedog posted:

Clifford is an insane movie. My younger sister loved it growing up so I've seen it way too many times

i thought that movie was a fever dream I had.

Drop Dead Fred was similar. watching it as an adult, loving hell it is amazing how insane the mom is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cowslips Warren posted:

i thought that movie was a fever dream I had.

Drop Dead Fred was similar. watching it as an adult, loving hell it is amazing how insane the mom is.

My dad loved both drop dead Fred and young Einstein for some reason too

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

credburn posted:

These are the best "bad movies" I've ever seen. Each one rewatchable again and again. Each one a sort of passion project to someone, each one a complete train wreck. But there's earnestness in it.

I think most of these are on Tubi and worth every minute.

Well, I love the two of these movies that I've seen so I guess I should watch the other three.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

I watched Captain Ron a bunch when I was younger and I guess it's stupid but I like it. Also important lore by explaining what Snake was doing in between New York and LA. Escape From LA is another movie I don't know if I can defend but I love it. Didn't care for the bad 90s CG but I thought some parts were clever subversions of what was done in NY like everyone telling Snake "I'd thought you'd be taller". (a little bit that would be considered transphobic now but was completely common in the 90s and Carpenter seems like a good guy so I assume he wouldn't do it today).

Last Action Hero I liked a lot, a lot of funny parts (the Hamlet scene, all the parodies of action movie tropes). Arnold really has a good knack for comedy and isn't afraid to poke fun at himself sometimes. But I do see some problems with the movie and editing. It's too long for a funny action movie and has the two-climax problem where they solve the problem in the fictional movie within-the-movie which isn't satisfying enough to be a real climax to the movie, but then it slogs on too long in the real world. Don't really care for a scene of Arnold and the kid and his mom eating breakfast but there is some cool real world stuff like the 'realistic' car crash. And I don't really care for what's supposed to be the emotional end with the magic ticket saving him or whatever never got emotionally invested enough in the silly movie to care. The child actor is ok, I've certainly seen worse kid performances in a movie but I don't think he's particularly good either. Also the movie came out right about the same time as Jurassic Park which was not good for it at the box office. Anyway I like it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The Eyes Have It posted:

I was curious and watched it the other night, I did like the way they handled that.

I discovered Amazon Prime video has like, tons of these movies and watched Hunter Prey which had its moments, actually.

Just loads of movies with titles like comic books from the 50s: FUTURE FIGHT, ROBOT WARS, DRONE KILLERS, SCIENCE GONE WRONG, or whatever that were probably pretty fun to make. They all have baller, eye-catching cover art of course.

Grave Encounters 2 is also not terrible and I would say is a good enough sequel to watch.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember watching the movie Orca as a kid, and thought it was pretty badass.

That Scene though is not quite as good as Deep Blue Sea, but as a kid reading about whales, I never understood why the crew was trying to capture an orca alive with a loving harpoon gun. That Scene, btw, was a bloody orca miscarriage with the fetus hosed off the side of the deck and most of the human crew freaking the gently caress out.

I'm a weirdo that buys DVDs and own that. Watched it somewhat recently too. Like after newyears this year recently.

I like it but yeah, its bad. And cheesy and whatever else. I think the reasoning behind capture alive with a harpoon was it just can't really get away without ripping the harpoon out which is painful so it won't do it on purpose blah blah blah, but yeah it was kinda dumb.

I also like Jaws The Revenge. Thought it was better than the 3rd one. Which I also like, but less.

when it came out I though that Judith Barsi was cute. note that I was the same age as her so its less creepy. Yup, I know what ended up happening to her :(

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Vavrek posted:

You have my attention.

Sorry, went on a mental health break from the internet. Neon City is streaming on Tubi if you're interested. I watched it recently and it still holds up. Doesn't over explain anything, just drops hints about the state of the world. The Swiss apparently reign supreme in their Alpine Bunkers subsisting entirely on chocolate stored from before the apocalypse.

https://youtu.be/kq2MsSB0p9g

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I went to the movie theater to see Cats because it was a disaster. drat, I loved that disaster. Even bought the soundtrack.

Care Bears Adventure in Wonderland was one that got bad reviews, but I rented it a bunch as a kid. Still have fond memories of it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Debunk This! posted:

Has anyone said the Popeye movie starring Robin Williams and Shelley Duval? Because that is one meandering, brown rear end movie. Also its a musical for some reason and the songs are all god awful. But the casting is on point, Shelley Duval as Olive Oil was honestly inspired casting and the whole movie is full of these wacky cartoon sight gags. Its baffling and terrible and I love it.

:same:

It's so earnest. They didn't know how to make it into a good movie but they put 110% into being exactly what it is.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
oh yeah, for new content: So I Married An Axe Murderer. Mike Myers sucks and it's a bad movie but I love all of Anthony LaPaglia's bits as the nice guy cop who really wants his life to be a hardass cop movie.

EDIT: does Empire Records count as a bad movie that everyone hates? Anthony LaPaglia was just a lot of fun in general

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Feb 29, 2024

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The Last American Virgin

I haven't heard much in the way of opinions good or bad. It's got low-brow humor and is a bit raunchy in parts, but it's got a great 80s soundtrack. The main character is a decent enough guy, but, goddamn, that ending.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

The Last American Virgin

I haven't heard much in the way of opinions good or bad. It's got low-brow humor and is a bit raunchy in parts, but it's got a great 80s soundtrack. The main character is a decent enough guy, but, goddamn, that ending.

Punch in the gut and a kick in the balls at the same time, then you get to wallow in it while the credits roll. Love it.

the holy poopacy posted:

oh yeah, for new content: So I Married An Axe Murderer. Mike Myers sucks and it's a bad movie but I love all of Anthony LaPaglia's bits as the nice guy cop who really wants his life to be a hardass cop movie.

And the late great Phil Hartman as Vicky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah7mS9H_TOM

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

you broke my grill posted:

I watched Captain Ron a bunch when I was younger and I guess it's stupid but I like it.

Somewhere else on the forum I mentioned Captain Ron as a bad movie I still loved, and was met with a chorus of "what the hell Captain Ron is great", so don't feel too bad

My whole family must have seen it a half dozen times in the 90s and to this day I run the risk of being told "hey swab, bring me another brewski"

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Captain Ron's Guerillas gangtag when

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

widefault posted:

And the late great Phil Hartman as Vicky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah7mS9H_TOM

My sister and I took the Alcatraz tour a while back, and we learned that the park rangers there do not enjoy being referred to as Vicky. It wasn’t us, we learned through observation.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Phy posted:

Somewhere else on the forum I mentioned Captain Ron as a bad movie I still loved, and was met with a chorus of "what the hell Captain Ron is great", so don't feel too bad

My whole family must have seen it a half dozen times in the 90s and to this day I run the risk of being told "hey swab, bring me another brewski"

the "he's dead!" eyepatch gag has lived rent free in my head for decades. if i ever lose an eye i want to pull the same schtick while sleepin

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Care Bears Adventure in Wonderland was one that got bad reviews, but I rented it a bunch as a kid. Still have fond memories of it.

Hack Critics Who Don't Know What The gently caress They're Talking About posted:

In her New York Times review, Caryn James said, "[The] movie is paced so it won't strain the attention span of a 6-month-old, but there is nothing to spark a child's imagination."[67] As noted Hal Hinson of The Washington Post, "Watching [this movie] is like being pelted mercilessly for 75 minutes with Lucky Charms. It's nonfatal (unless you have a sugar problem, in which case you're likely to lapse into a coma), but it's not exactly my idea of fun either."[68] Rick Groen of Toronto's The Globe and Mail expressed disappointment over the way the villain was handled.[69]

Comparing this installment to its predecessors, Newsday's Joseph Gemlis declared that Wonderland "aspires to be more than a merchandising gimmick. It has a story to tell". However, he criticized the plot and treatment of the fictional land's denizens.[70] Film critic Leonard Maltin called it a "typically bland kiddie outing", awarding it two stars out of four.[71] Halliwell's Film Guide called it "Undemanding and uninteresting whimsy for the under-sixes",[4] while London's Time Out referred to it as "Hemlock to Lewis Carroll fans."[72] In a 1988 issue, the Video Librarian labelled it a "dud".[73]

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

I don't know who the movie Nothing But Trouble was made for except me. I love it. It's so stupid.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I don’t know that 1988s “The Blob” remake is considered “bad” but it’s one of my favorite horror movies of that era. It’s got some great gore scenes and they do a good establishing that the monster is dangerous by killing off characters you wouldn’t really expect. It’s a really fun movie (if you think people getting dissolved by a horrifying acidic blob is fun.)

“The Blob” along with “The Fly”, and “The Thing” are are some of the rare remakes that are far better than their originals.

Skratte posted:

I don't know who the movie Nothing But Trouble was made for except me. I love it. It's so stupid.

It’s a weird movie.

They gave Dan Ackroyd a decent budget and you can allllll that money made it’s way on to screen. The sets and props that he had built are bizarre and often stupid, but a ton of effort went into the production. That effort didn’t quite produce a good movie, but there is so much weird poo poo going on it that it’s still an entertaining watch in certain states of mind.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tumble posted:

They gave Dan Ackroyd a decent budget and you can allllll that money made it’s way on to screen. The sets and props that he had built are bizarre and often stupid, but a ton of effort went into the production. That effort didn’t quite produce a good movie, but there is so much weird poo poo going on it that it’s still an entertaining watch in certain states of mind.

Apparently the production crew loved it as Ackroyd was very collaborative and they all had great fun going wild. He also made sure to hire very talented production people, so yeah the sets are amazing, and fantastically weird. It's great.

Other than Chevy chase being his normal rear end in a top hat self, apparently just great set to work on for cast and crew. Glad they all had fun and a chance to go all out!

Pity it didn't -very understandably- do better. Would of been great to see Ackroyd do some more blank check movies during the 90's just to see what bizarreness he could come up with unsupervised.

dr_rat has a new favorite as of 14:06 on Mar 5, 2024

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

the holy poopacy posted:

oh yeah, for new content: So I Married An Axe Murderer. Mike Myers sucks and it's a bad movie

What? No. Come on. It's funny as hell with some memorable, unique crazy poo poo.

The jazz poetry. Woman!
Weekly World News = "the paper"
Head! Orange on a toothpick
Steven Wright
Piper doon!
The kindly, sensible chief
Hard hearted harbinger of haggis
and so on. love it

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chrpno posted:

What? No. Come on. It's funny as hell with some memorable, unique crazy poo poo.

The jazz poetry. Woman!
Weekly World News = "the paper"
Head! Orange on a toothpick
Steven Wright
Piper doon!
The kindly, sensible chief
Hard hearted harbinger of haggis
and so on. love it

Everyone else is great! Someone just made the regrettable decision to put Mike Myers on camera for the entire runtime of the movie, which is generally a mistake.

I guess he's fine as the yelling Scottish dad, he's ok in small doses. That would have been a fine use of Mike Myers if they hadn't also cast him as the main character.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

but 90s mike myers is the only tolerable and sometimes downright good myers! :shrug:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The Nicolas Cage film Next has really poor ratings but I really enjoyed it. It's about a gambler who has the ability to see the future, but only like two minutes at a time. It goes in unexpected directions.

The movie genuinely put work into seriously asking "what if?" Also it wasn't predictable (and not in a "because lolrandom" way) which I always enjoy. I liked it :shrug:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Next has a cool sequence where Nicolas Cage splits off into multiple people, each one representing an exploration of the future, and I thought that was a really well done execution of illustrating the concept.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I liked The Butterfly Effect a lot. Even all the alternate endings.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Narzack posted:

I liked The Butterfly Effect a lot. Even all the alternate endings.

oh yeeeeah. i liked that one too. lotta people hating on Ashton Kutcher at the time but i thought he did well in that film. i dug it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

the holy poopacy posted:

Everyone else is great! Someone just made the regrettable decision to put Mike Myers on camera for the entire runtime of the movie, which is generally a mistake.

I guess he's fine as the yelling Scottish dad, he's ok in small doses. That would have been a fine use of Mike Myers if they hadn't also cast him as the main character.

Mike Myers is notorious for not wanting to give up screen time, and also for not allowing anyone to be funnier than him on screen. Axe Murderer was coming off the heels of the wildly successful and profitable Wayne’s World so Myers had a lot of clout and decision-making power.

Penelope Spheeris, director of Wayne’s World, was basically given the choice: do the film Mike’s way and he will let you direct a sequel if there is one, or make the movie your way and forget about a return. She did it her way, the movie was amazing, and Myers said adios.

Dana Carvey had quit the movie before it even got going because of Myers cutting out most of Garth’s lines, and had to be convinced to come back to the project by being told that he could ad-lib whatever he wanted.

I still love Axe Murderer and WW in spite of and despite Mike Myers.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

If Mike Myers didn’t want anybody to be funnier than him in his movie, then he shouldn’t have cast Alan Arkin and Anthony LaPaglia. That whole subplot is fantastic. “Somebody needs a hug!”

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

hmm. i didnt realize that the only 3 mike myers movies i love were released in 1992 and 1993 haha. they are great because of mike myers not despite of him imo.

i watch a lot of horror movies and i have friends that have a horror movie podcast and they were surprised to hear that one of my favorite horror movies is poltergeist 2 haha. i dont know if everyone hates it (more likely they have never seen it), but i have a weird affinity for that dumbass film. poo poo is creepy

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Penelope Spheeris, director of Wayne’s World, was basically given the choice: do the film Mike’s way and he will let you direct a sequel if there is one, or make the movie your way and forget about a return. She did it her way, the movie was amazing, and Myers said adios.

Well, she made the right call, it's the best Mike Myers has ever been as a movie lead.

I think Myers is (was?) actually pretty legit as a sketch comic and his movie roles succeed or fail based on how much they lean into that. Wayne's World with its frequent fourth wall breaks and goofy random interludes manages to hold onto that energy in a way that his more serious attempts (like Axe Murderer) do not. If he had gone the route of Monty Python and just said "ok, I'm going to do what I do best and just string a bunch of loosely connected but funny 3-5 minute bits into a barely coherent plot" instead of trying to be a serious actor I think everyone would have been a lot happier.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

the holy poopacy posted:

Well, she made the right call, it's the best Mike Myers has ever been as a movie lead.

I think Myers is (was?) actually pretty legit as a sketch comic and his movie roles succeed or fail based on how much they lean into that. Wayne's World with its frequent fourth wall breaks and goofy random interludes manages to hold onto that energy in a way that his more serious attempts (like Axe Murderer) do not. If he had gone the route of Monty Python and just said "ok, I'm going to do what I do best and just string a bunch of loosely connected but funny 3-5 minute bits into a barely coherent plot" instead of trying to be a serious actor I think everyone would have been a lot happier.

I think that's why the first Austin Powers is still pretty funny, it feels like a bunch of small bits cut together

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

1 posted:

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (aka LXG): sure, it throws away everything great about the source, but the production design is fantastic - in particular, the prosthetics work for Mr Hyde is perfect.

I haven’t watched this film since I saw it in the theater (dressed up as Mina Murray no less). I was a huge fan of the comics, problematic aspects aside. I remember it as being a fun adaptation and I was bummed it wasn’t more popular if only because that’s probably the most accurate Captain Nemo we’re ever gonna get, Naseeruddin Shah knocked him out of the park and as a massive 20,000 Leagues fan I wish he was the star instead.

My strongest memory of the film is Mr. Hyde rushing down a corridor of the Nautilus and Dr. Jekyll is reflected in the portholes saying something like “that’s it Henry, you’ve got this!” It was so ridiculous but in retrospect that’s where the film sold me.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I haven’t watched this film since I saw it in the theater (dressed up as Mina Murray no less). I was a huge fan of the comics, problematic aspects aside. I remember it as being a fun adaptation and I was bummed it wasn’t more popular if only because that’s probably the most accurate Captain Nemo we’re ever gonna get, Naseeruddin Shah knocked him out of the park and as a massive 20,000 Leagues fan I wish he was the star instead.

My strongest memory of the film is Mr. Hyde rushing down a corridor of the Nautilus and Dr. Jekyll is reflected in the portholes saying something like “that’s it Henry, you’ve got this!” It was so ridiculous but in retrospect that’s where the film sold me.

Was the Invisible Man a super creepy Bill Cosby fucker in the movie too? I remember something about that, and it turned me off the movie entirely.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Did the film version manage to carry the central theme of Britain's heroes being completely indistinguishable from its monsters?

I know I watched it, but I honestly can't remember any of it. I guess it was a while ago.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Was the Invisible Man a super creepy Bill Cosby fucker in the movie too? I remember something about that, and it turned me off the movie entirely.

Film Invisible Man is a different character. He's a good-natured thief who stole the serum from its inventor (the guy who became the Invisible Man in the original comic), instead of a serial rapist.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Who the hell is besmirching the Altman Popeye, the film that scared the poo poo out of me as a child? The soundtrack owns, it’s Harry fuckin Nilsson.

Anyway, I love dogshit films especially horror. But I do have a soft spot for lovely Lifetime films, Cannon, overly machismo 80s action films, some Troma, Full Moon Features, bad cyberpunk, Mary Woronov appearing as anything ever, it goes on. I’m a massive snob on Letterboxd and the worst person to ask “oh whsts your favorite movie”. I hate that I can’t get Tubi or Shudder here, I need my trash, I love my trash.

I guess for a film to recommend, here’s fiveish?

not horror
- The Hidden
- Stone Cold
- A Talking Cat?!
- Radioactive Dreams (if you like Fallout, run do not walk)
- The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (I’ve met people who think it’s garbage, they exist)

Horror
- Blood Beat
- Sleepaway Camp (a major plot point hasn’t aged well but has also been sorta reclaimed so heads up)
- God Told Me To
- Baby Blood
- Frankenhooker
- bonus: Nightbreed is criminally underrated and I drat near cried at the end of it, I genuinely think if it was released now it’d be a mainstream queer classic

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

teen witch posted:

- The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (I’ve met people who think it’s garbage, they exist)

Writing the Buckaroo Cinematic Universe's equivalent of Infinity War without doing thirteen previous films was a move so bold the font is in Haettenschweiler

I thought it was pretty great

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Film Invisible Man is a different character. He's a good-natured thief who stole the serum from its inventor (the guy who became the Invisible Man in the original comic), instead of a serial rapist.

Wasn't the invisible man being a rapist just the plot to Hollow Man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

credburn posted:

These are the best "bad movies" I've ever seen. Each one rewatchable again and again. Each one a sort of passion project to someone, each one a complete train wreck. But there's earnestness in it.

I think most of these are on Tubi and worth every minute.

I host an annual bad-movie competition for my friends. I might have to research a few of these as possible entries...

My favorite bad movie that I love to hit people with a DESPISER. Randomly found it at a Blockbuster way back when, and it took me years to track down a physical copy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEcgGEExCL8