Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

jokes posted:

change thread title to correctly say RibWorld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

jokes posted:

change thread title to correctly say RimWorld

*RibAorld

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2380740/RimWorld__Anomaly

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

:f5:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://x.com/TynanSylvester/status/1767956811171160491?s=20

Oh hell yeah we're going full SCP

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

my pawns during the last mechanoid drop while waiting for the ship to power up

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yay tentacled monsters! I cannot wait for them to murder all of my colonists.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/294100/view/4160834030793878434
1.5 is going to deprecate a lot of mods, including wall light.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

lunar detritus posted:

and hidden conduits. I am officially jazzed

edit: “Mine vein” command too, nice

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Uhh they've got libraries.

That's dope.

yes, that's what stood out to me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

quote:

“Mine vein” designator:
This command orders colonists to mine out a whole mineral lump in one click.

Yesss. So many QOL improvements in 1.5.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I think this may be why Jecrell went silent for the past couple of years.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Mine Vein sounds good but I definitely know it's going to get pawns killed via roof collapses.

The expansion does sound pretty cool though and performance improvements are always appreciated. If they just slowly start multi-threading everything, that'll be great for larger endgame colonies.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Holy poo poo. I just read the blog post. All those QOL mods baked in. Wall Lights is such a big one. Although with how modular the mod itself became, letting you adjust power draw and radii, it may not be wholly depreciated yet.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Honestly the expansion itself feels Meh but the patch sounds amazing

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yeah, I can see a lot of mods I no longer need. Wall Light, Endless Rimworld, ZITools Object Seeker, CM Color Coded Mood Bar, and that's just the ones I see in the announcement. So much joy about Hidden Conduits, too. It's such a pain providing power to rooms carved out of rock without ruining the prettiness.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, I can see a lot of mods I no longer need. Wall Light, Endless Rimworld, ZITools Object Seeker, CM Color Coded Mood Bar, and that's just the ones I see in the announcement. So much joy about Hidden Conduits, too. It's such a pain providing power to rooms carved out of rock without ruining the prettiness.

Really hoping the new wall light system doesn't require smoothed rock to place. Such a PITA extra step in my mountain bases

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The post says it has more content than any previous expansion. Considering how much stuff was in biotech, that's a wild statement.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
It also says that release will be in only a month.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Huh, not really sure about the premise of the expansion but I said the same thing about Ideology and it ended up being a fundamental pillar of my games so I'll give this a shot.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Yeah, Tynan don't announce these until they're basically at the certification stage and all work is done.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

all those good features so there has to be something in bizarrely pointless detail that nobody ever asked for, like "now you can shoot a dude's nipples off with a crossbow"

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Honestly I'm not a fan of a lot of the horror tropes they talk about but there's enough good stuff in the 1.5 patch I do not mind.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

lunar detritus posted:

But many new possibilities. I eagerly await the human centipede mod.

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

If there isn't a scenario roughly similar to Aliens/Space jockeys I will be sad.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I always play RimWorld as a dollhouse where I plan for everybody to be happy, so it'll be interesting playing it as a horror game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Hellioning posted:

Honestly I'm not a fan of a lot of the horror tropes they talk about but there's enough good stuff in the 1.5 patch I do not mind.

like royalty and biotech, I am betting that most of the event style content is stuff you can choose to engage with or not (and you can still disable selected events by mod anyway if you want)

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I always play RimWorld as a dollhouse where I plan for everybody to be happy, so it'll be interesting playing it as a horror game.

The crawling mechanic is gonna do a lot of work there. You're gonna have to walk after downed folks to put them down now.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

like royalty and biotech, I am betting that most of the event style content is stuff you can choose to engage with or not (and you can still disable selected events by mod anyway if you want)

Yep, if all else fails, mod. It's the Rimworld way.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Okay, so who had their money for "Which major mod will Rimworld turn into DLC" as "VOID, Zombieland, and Rim of Madness," because I sure as gently caress didn't. Honestly not thrilled about it, not because I think the content will be bad, but because they're using a very VOID-esque art style that I find grotesque and unpleasant to look at, and rather jarring compared to everything else in the game. Which, to be fair, I'm sure is the point, but I can't see myself ever enabling those flesh monsters or doing SCP stuff.

That said, patch 1.5 sounds loving great and also like the modpocalypse. Multithreading pawns is absolutely the correct call, but also, holy poo poo so many mods are going to burst into flames. The SOS people are drinking at noon today.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I want to see more of the cube

It's a nice cube

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Don’t understand people who aren’t into the cube, tbh

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
All hail the cube

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
From what it said, it sounds like you make a conscious choice to wake up the 'mad superintelligence' which causes all the horror stuff to kick off. I assume that if you don't make that decision, most of the stuff doesn't occur, same as you can ignore the Imperials and never get involved with a lot of the Royalty stuff.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

quote:

Allow targeting via the colonist bar.
everytime I look at the notes I find another thing that makes me go "loving finally"

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So on the one hand I am always excited for a new expansion, but on the other hand I am unsure how much you are forced to interact with the new content.

Will all the games go spooky horror? Is it toggleable outside of the game versus diagetically inside the game? What are the limits to the horror?

All this stuff is super cool, but it seems like it could railroad runs into spooky-town every time if not carefully managed, or take too much away from player control.

One of the events in the early alpha days was an event that a recruited prisoner suddenly turned into a traitor. No player mitigation, just gently caress you. It was removed because of lack of player control. A lot of this horror stuff seems the same because lack of control is a good horror mechanic.

The team always knocks it out of the park with expansions so I am sure there are good answers to my questions and I just need to wait, this is all just my initial feelings.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
As mentioned upthread, all of the expansions so far have basically let you choose how much you wanted to engage with the content. Don't like the Empire or Psycasts? Ignore their quests and don't use psyformers. Don't like Ideologies? Use a super low-impact one or simply turn them off entirely. Don't like mechanitors? Simply don't get the mechlink. Don't want to do gene tinkering? Don't bother!

It would surprise me to a great degree if they decided that this was going to be the first expansion where you're forced to engage. There will almost 100% definitely be some kind of trigger you have to pull to get Spooky Stuff to start happening.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

quote:

Mechanoids can now emerge from bodies of water to attack your colony.

gently caress that poo poo, mechanoids are already the worst enemy in the game

quote:

Ascetics ignore "Ate without table" thought.

ascetics are superhuman

quote:

Improved construction hauling.

This is an interesting bullet point, I wonder how much better this is getting

quote:

Starting colonists have a chance to spawn with possessions related to their traits.

Seems very cool

quote:

Allow targeting via the colonist bar.

:piss:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

QuarkJets posted:

gently caress that poo poo, mechanoids are already the worst enemy in the game

:piss:

Counterpoint: This hopefully opens up D-day style raid mod options.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Donkringel posted:

So on the one hand I am always excited for a new expansion, but on the other hand I am unsure how much you are forced to interact with the new content.

Will all the games go spooky horror? Is it toggleable outside of the game versus diagetically inside the game? What are the limits to the horror?

All this stuff is super cool, but it seems like it could railroad runs into spooky-town every time if not carefully managed, or take too much away from player control.

One of the events in the early alpha days was an event that a recruited prisoner suddenly turned into a traitor. No player mitigation, just gently caress you. It was removed because of lack of player control. A lot of this horror stuff seems the same because lack of control is a good horror mechanic.

The team always knocks it out of the park with expansions so I am sure there are good answers to my questions and I just need to wait, this is all just my initial feelings.

Kanos posted:

As mentioned upthread, all of the expansions so far have basically let you choose how much you wanted to engage with the content. Don't like the Empire or Psycasts? Ignore their quests and don't use psyformers. Don't like Ideologies? Use a super low-impact one or simply turn them off entirely. Don't like mechanitors? Simply don't get the mechlink. Don't want to do gene tinkering? Don't bother!

It would surprise me to a great degree if they decided that this was going to be the first expansion where you're forced to engage. There will almost 100% definitely be some kind of trigger you have to pull to get Spooky Stuff to start happening.

quote:

The expansion begins when your colonists accidentally provoke a mad superintelligence. From then on, madness manifests
So, yes. Sounds like, as usual, it's a specific event you can choose to ignore. Why would be break tradition now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

quote:

Mechanoids can now emerge from bodies of water to attack your colony.

Really hate this one, because large bodies of water limiting possible approaches was one of the few terrain features that could rival mountain bases for safety. This eliminates that and pigeonholes you even harder into mountain bases being the one optimal way to play.