Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think the multiplayer map thing is just showing where there is a lot of activity. Theres no way to just tag all effigies, see which ones you have hit, or untag one. When I say this is the best game to sunbro in they've made it's with a bit of an asterisk lol

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If you're in normal game, do you match with NG+ players through effigies?

Yep, it only cares about player and weapon levels. Theres no easy way to confirm it beyond vibes tho, and of course how sometimes you kill a boss wondering if you're just off today and then they give 10x the runes you're used to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ionicpsycho posted:

So, I never played Sekiro. If the DLC copies the leveling scheme from that, what does that actually entail? Do you think that you'll basically unlock ways to lower enemy scaling in regions?

If so, maybe I try this arcane scaling on the Great Stars I keep hearing about.

Sekiro gives you an item to increase your damage when you kill a real boss and 1/4 of an item to increase your health when you kill a mini-boss, and doesn't have a Souls-style stat array, just a bunch of unlockable attacks and passive bonuses to things like item discovery or how stealthy you are. This doesn't really answer your or anyone's questions about the Elden Ring DLC.

I guess the idea is that the DLC will (partially?) adapt to or bypass the player's health / damage values based on their stats and have relatively fixed difficulty despite it being possible to do the DLC very early or very late, and killing bosses in the DLC will improve your health / damage but only in the DLC.

Nobody actually knows though.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 13, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Ionicpsycho posted:

So, I never played Sekiro. If the DLC copies the leveling scheme from that, what does that actually entail? Do you think that you'll basically unlock ways to lower enemy scaling in regions?

If so, maybe I try this arcane scaling on the Great Stars I keep hearing about.

In Sekiro you get an attack power upgrade everytime you beat a major boss. There's some freedom in which order you defeat bosses so in theory a boss and its area can be harder or easier to deal with.

In Elden Ring's open world this sort of freedom would probably have a big effect on the difficulty.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The other alternate power scaling thing would be DS2-style, where the final boss just has crazy high resist that you can lower down to 0 by killing certain bosses. Sekiro style is what I would prefer but it would be very funny if we got to Messmer and hes naked and shambling around completely hollow

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

repugnant posted:

Just "beat" Rennala on seamless coop with two friends. She was kicking our asses in phase 1 because of her extended health made us have to break her shield bubble a lot more. On our fourth attempt in phase 2, one of my buddies got disconnected, and the other got killed. She had about 2/3 of her health. When my buddy died, Rennala's AI glitched out and she just stood holding her staff above her head and never attacked again. It took like 2 more minutes of stabbing her with my two bleed daggers but hey, a victory is a victory!

I'm helping someone through on seamless and the other night I beat Godskin Duo after they died (they're hosting the world and I'm going through with my guy that already beat it on seamless). After the fight finished and the site of grace appeared Godskin Apostle was suddenly over there again but no boss health bar/music so I ran to the previous site of grace to respawn the host. When we went down to the boss room it was like it was cleared but now the Noble was there with the Apostle (no boss health bar/music though) and I ran around so he could hit the site and despawn them.

I will say it's much more consistent than my first seamless trek about a year ago but it is funny when something that like still occurs. They still haven't fixed the invisible horses issue.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 13, 2024

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I am not convinced that they will add a special system for the DLC. They were perfectly happy to let you dip in from the midgame in DS2, DS3 and Bloodborne. If you want to get rocked, that’s on you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I am not convinced that they will add a special system for the DLC. They were perfectly happy to let you dip in from the midgame in DS2, DS3 and Bloodborne. If you want to get rocked, that’s on you.

They already said there is going to be an alternate advancement system in the DLC.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
yeah there's a Famitsu article in Japanese where Miyazaki addresses the subject directly and a bunch of English outlets reported on it, it's not speculation that they're doing something

also the issue is probably less "you'll get rocked", especially considering the whole thing is gated by Mohg, than it is the other end of the scale -- taking some comically overleveled character in on an existing save and now everything's a pushover

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Re: multiplayer effigies:

Once you go into NG+, or just whenever you want, you can use CheatEngine to activate all the effigies. It has no risk to your save at all as long as you do so offline.

If you you're not on PC then you're SOL.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I appreciate all the kabuki theater for a DLC that will likely follow the same model as every prior DLC: enemies start at about 75% of the main game stats mark and steadily rise to kicking your rear end at 125% of the main game end game. There will be at least one optional super boss juiced to 150% and more of a filter than Malenia.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm really curious to see how they make the boss difficult this time. Malenia having lifesteal felt like a cheat that stopped you clutching out a win you'd have got from any other superboss in the series, so I'll be curious if they have a new ultra-punishing gimmick or go back to just really mean movesets and mixups

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Malenia's lifesteal was a pain but it was her moves like waterfowl dance and the scarlet rot bombs that made her the hardest. She also has relatively low poise and some huge weaknesses to certain status effects to the point you can knock her out of her most devastating move. I can see them making the DLC's superboss more relentless with fewer weaknesses.

I know when I finally beat Orphan of Kos or Nameless King or Slave Knight Gael or Sword Saint Isshin the first time I thought how the hell are they going to top that one.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 13, 2024

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Going back and reading it, the Miyazaki Famitsu interview specifically says there is an additional attack power system (he directly compares it to Sekiro) separate from the regular stat system and exclusive to the DLC zones. So it will probably just be a simple damage (+maybe poise damage?) scaling factor that you can increase or not, as you prefer. (This was also the case in Sekiro, you get remembrances for killing bosses but you don’t have to upgrade your attack power with them—they have no other use, but if you WANT to play the whole game with base damage that is a possibility). So if you want a hard-as-nails SOTE experience, just don’t increase your attack power.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

yeah there's a Famitsu article in Japanese where Miyazaki addresses the subject directly and a bunch of English outlets reported on it, it's not speculation that they're doing something

also the issue is probably less "you'll get rocked", especially considering the whole thing is gated by Mohg, than it is the other end of the scale -- taking some comically overleveled character in on an existing save and now everything's a pushover

Oh! My bad. Thought it was just speculation. I mean, Mohg can be glitched from as soon as you get Godrick’s rune, but that’s not really intended progression I guess.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Groovelord Neato posted:

Malenia's lifesteal was a pain but it was her moves like waterfowl dance and the scarlet rot bombs that made her the hardest. She also has relatively low poise and some huge weaknesses to certain status effects to the point you can knock her out of her most devastating move. I can see them making the DLC's superboss more relentless with fewer weaknesses.

I know when I finally beat Orphan of Kos or Nameless King or Slave Knight Gael or Sword Saint Isshin the first time I thought how the hell are they going to top that one.

WFD is such a weird move but it's the best place to see how well we learn how to play the game. It just hosed me up so bad the first hundred or so times I tried her and I eventually got past her with some luck.

The second time I fought her I realized that I could block through it, and then she'd heal some, but I'd be alive and I could just pancake her afterward.

And now I've fought her a bunch of times since then. Someone summoned me against her the other day while I was playing a low-armor sorcery character. My usual strategy is just to stay far away and ping at her with glintblades and/or whatever spell that my gear at the time of summon (then, Ranni's Dark Moon) to provide extra damage while not putting myself at risk, but she went into WFD from long range and I saw her turn to face me - I avoided it all with only running and one (light) roll, and it gave me the best dopamine hit any game has given me in ages.

It turns out that I've made some progress.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Duo boss: shade of the twin prodigies, miquella and malenia. Malenia is malenia and miquella lobs spells at you while buffing her.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

CommonShore posted:

WFD is such a weird move but it's the best place to see how well we learn how to play the game. It just hosed me up so bad the first hundred or so times I tried her and I eventually got past her with some luck.

The second time I fought her I realized that I could block through it, and then she'd heal some, but I'd be alive and I could just pancake her afterward.

And now I've fought her a bunch of times since then. Someone summoned me against her the other day while I was playing a low-armor sorcery character. My usual strategy is just to stay far away and ping at her with glintblades and/or whatever spell that my gear at the time of summon (then, Ranni's Dark Moon) to provide extra damage while not putting myself at risk, but she went into WFD from long range and I saw her turn to face me - I avoided it all with only running and one (light) roll, and it gave me the best dopamine hit any game has given me in ages.

It turns out that I've made some progress.

hell yeah. learning to dodge waterfowl dance is really rewarding.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Really digging the fextralife stance break builds they've put out recently. No faith, no int, no arc just spam.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Posture damage builds rule, the only universal status effect

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A lot of frustration I had with the game early on as a str 2hand weapon purist was not taking advantage of stance breaking. Had been playing the game like the older games dodge rolling everything when the game really wants you to be aggressive and take the risk to put some hurt on the bosses to keep the pressure up.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

A lot of frustration I had with the game early on as a str 2hand weapon purist was not taking advantage of stance breaking. Had been playing the game like the older games dodge rolling everything when the game really wants you to be aggressive and take the risk to put some hurt on the bosses to keep the pressure up.

likewise i was shocked that the uchigatana i started the game with was competitive with every legendary and remembrance weapon i found throughout the game, largely due to unsheathe’s insane posture damage

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

uchi's pretty easily one of the game's best weapons thanks to a combination of diverse moveset, inherent bleed, low stat requirements, and unsheathe having the two things you want in a WA (fast + high stance damage)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah stance damage is just too good. Lots of weapons and spells have great dps on paper, but that doesn't mean anything when the boss is going apeshit on you. And it's just really satisfying to land that one "settle down beavis" charged attack.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

skillful dodges are nice and all but a far more underrated part of getting better at the game is knowing when you can afford to eat a little damage to keep your momentum going and completely overwhelm a boss

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also another reason why spirit ashes are so good, they keep the stance damage building up.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah stance damage is just too good. Lots of weapons and spells have great dps on paper, but that doesn't mean anything when the boss is going apeshit on you. And it's just really satisfying to land that one "settle down beavis" charged attack.

Basically everything about the build is extremely satisfying, from the guard counter SCHINK to the BWOMMM of a boss that just got put in timeout thanks to a charged attack from an 8 foot long hammer

Also teaches people to lean into instead of avoiding trades when they are favorable, which is big because it means they've got an offensive reason to level vigor and wear some heavier armor, and every build with a lot of vigor is fun and effective and every build with zero vigor always feels like you screwed up with it somehow, at least if you haven't already beaten the game like 5 times

The Uchi is probably the better weapon on paper but I've always been partial to straight swords and Square Off, chunks health and posture even harder and the light attack specializes in knocking shields around. Even lighter, even faster, and better powerstance moveset that is apparently a contender for best in the game.

In fact I've been wondering if they overtuned it a bit with Elden Ring, since if you have some idea of what you're doing you can just bulldoze through anything, but then again one of the eternal things about these games is that they're hard as hell right up until they suddenly become easy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Malenia's lifesteal was a pain but it was her moves like waterfowl dance and the scarlet rot bombs that made her the hardest.

:psyduck:

Man, scarlet rot bombs are a godsend from her. It's just free damage for like 15 seconds (assuming you have any sort of ranged attack).

Now watch me get nuked by one as soon as I attempt her for the first time after putting the game down for over a year. :v:

Edit: That reminds me. Is chucking boulders still a good strategy on current patch for the most unga-bunga of us?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

stone of gurranq's still a rock solid option for FTH casters, although lightning spear or frenzied burst with godefroy's talisman probably beats it out in terms of long range damage-per-FP ratio

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have to wonder if the game would be improved by enemies' stance bars being visible to the player. I know there's a mod that does that and it seems interesting.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

I have to wonder if the game would be improved by enemies' stance bars being visible to the player. I know there's a mod that does that and it seems interesting.

I like it not being there since I never know for sure if my gamble will pay off or not.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is perfumer build viable or is that an afterthought they put in the game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Is perfumer build viable or is that an afterthought they put in the game

it's "viable" in the sense that the perfumes are fairly strong in their own right, but actually doing a build with them requires you to cheatengine in the materials to not run out/drive yourself insane farming them, and the only thing the talisman affects are aromatic sparks and, weirdly, the explosive bolts pages drop (which you will, again, have to cheatengine in to not go nuts)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't care for how much to changes the calculus of the fight, if you aren't out way ahead with her you're losing, going blow down to the wire basically won't happen which is how I beat most of those superbosses in other games

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Do crafting materials stay in NG+? I have a ton of materials I never used in this playthrough and was going to try an item heavy build next.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

its generally much more comfortable just to have a build where you focus on consumables generally and rush the recipes than to focus on one specific subtype of them. that way you can craft stuff up based on what you have on hand instead of going out of your way grinding and farming.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I wouldn't recommend a perfumer build specifically unless there's a miranda powder bell bearing in the DLC, but just using a bunch of consumables is actually really great. A lot of the best are super easy to farm and the pots are just a grenade estus you get to customize like the physik. If you do this, remember you can stick your pots in storage and you can then either just craft up some new ones, or it will automatically replenish them from storage when resting

Vermain posted:

stone of gurranq's still a rock solid option for FTH casters, although lightning spear or frenzied burst with godefroy's talisman probably beats it out in terms of long range damage-per-FP ratio

If the enemy is perfectly motionless, honestly your best bet is probably stone. You can chain those together so fast, spear and optic blast take forever in comparison. Spear and burst shine against quick moving stuff because an uncharged spear and any cast of frenzied burst are ignored by the AI, so their damage output in practice far exceeds a lot of other options. Stone is also easier to buff too since its stat stick is as light as a dagger, it has a dedicated seal, and there's so many buffs to physical damage in the game.

I was pretty cold on boulder toss on my pure faith guy, because you do have better options when you're all-in, but it's really quite good

IMHO tho the best go-to for a melee build to damage her after she comes down is one of the frost dragon heads. Bunch of damage AND applies the best debuff in the game, and even easier to get and use than stone

Fister Roboto posted:

It works in Sekiro because there's no other weapons you could use instead, I do think it would massively discourage smaller weapon use, but I'm also of the opinion that once you find out how posture works it should be clear that it's what you should be prioritizing above all else. It could just encourage more players to pick up lighter weapons because it's so much easier to work a charged R2 in with them and you're still richly rewarded.

It's not for nothing that the best dedicated posture annihilation weapon by a country mile is a fist weapon.

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 13, 2024

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I want to like/use the offensive bestial incantations like stone and claws, but I can't seem to get the damage out of the basement with either high strength using the beast talisman or high faith with other talismans. Pocket Sand's damage is so small it's almost insulting.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

a full stack of volcano pots are worth carting around on every build, since they deal good damage, provide a large amount of AoE damage, and punk enemies like hands, slimes, and plants hard even if you've got no other sources of fire damage around

Paracelsus posted:

I want to like/use the offensive bestial incantations like stone and claws, but I can't seem to get the damage out of the basement with either high strength using the beast talisman or high faith with other talismans. Pocket Sand's damage is so small it's almost insulting.

sling's more for the fast poise damage to interrupt someone rather than pure damage. gurranq's damage is a bit mid, but it's spammable and staggers nearly everything, while beast claws only really gets good value if you pair it with godefroy's talisman

i think beast incantations were a good idea that kinda got lost in the scuffle, because the physical dragon communion and aspect attacks largely beat the pants off of them in terms of utility, damage, and flair

Vermain fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 13, 2024

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

OwlFancier posted:

you get a special armour piece if you summon them and then cast rennala's full moon.

What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Paracelsus posted:

Stone is basically perfectly designed to be a long range option for players who are otherwise 100% pure melee. It does everything a player like that wants - gets better the longer the window, damage type is universally good, rock bottom requirements and FP cost, and keeps posture damage going. They're also players who aren't going to care too much if the damage is sub-par because a caveman will never respect a spell more than a big club, unless it's a big club spell, so it being strictly inferior in that respect simply confirms existing biases.

Claw and pocket sand seem more like PvP intended spells