Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1767963629289103855?t=U2JbChzKRPv6-5xxOeRJ0w

Cautious optimism before the gut punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
This is Greg Bird's foot all over again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

1-2 months apparently at a minimum?

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1767961909440164205

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I want Verdugo cut for sac bunting in a spring training game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If a pitcher hurts their pitching arm, I assume they're out for at least the season and will be pleasantly surprised by anything else. Doesn't matter what the actual injury is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looks fine but he's going to go visit the top TJ surgeon in the country?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

zoux posted:

Looks fine but he's going to go visit the top TJ surgeon in the country?

There's a new brace procedure that several pitchers including Ohtani have gotten instead of a "full" TJ.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

more falafel please posted:

There's a new brace procedure that several pitchers including Ohtani have gotten instead of a "full" TJ.

He'd still be out for the season, not 1-2 mos. Also is the brace procedure what Ohtani just got or was that his first TJ?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

zoux posted:

He'd still be out for the season, not 1-2 mos. Also is the brace procedure what Ohtani just got or was that his first TJ?

I think his first one was a regular TJ, he just got the brace this offseason IIRC

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah the brace procedure was his second surgery:

quote:

Dr. Neal ElAttrache would suggest that Ohtani did not require a full reconstruction of the elbow, which is commonly referred to as Tommy John surgery.

“The ultimate plan after deliberation with Shohei, was to repair the issue at hand and to reinforce the healthy ligament in place while adding viable tissue for the longevity of the elbow,” ElAttrache said in the statement released by agent Nez Balelo. “I expect full recovery and he’ll be ready to hit without any restrictions come opening day of 2024 and do both (hit & pitch) come 2025.”

The tear in Ohtani’s ulnar collateral ligament this time was in a different place than the tear in 2018, Balelo had said earlier this month.

The description suggests that ElAttrache used the new “internal brace” technique, in which a thick suture-like material is used to provide strength to the ligament. It attracts collagen, a building block of soft tissue.

Ohtani had a traditional Tommy John surgery in October 2018, with a tendon removed from elsewhere in his body and transplanted as a graft to replace the damaged ligament. ElAttrache stopped short of repeating that procedure this time.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Giolito just had this done, no? Idea would be they can start a throwing program a few months earlier but yeah still missing the season if he gets surgery.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Bregor posted:

Giolito just had this done, no? Idea would be they can start a throwing program a few months earlier but yeah still missing the season if he gets surgery.

Yeah, I think it's the difference between "ready by ST next year" and "ready by the ASB next year"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

This verbatim quote is invariably given by the team about every single pitcher who then gets TJ

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

This verbatim quote is invariably given by the team about every single pitcher who then gets TJ

Lance McCullers where you at

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

Lance McCullers where you at

Who the hell is Lance McCullers

Here's what the NY Post story says

quote:

Several Yankees doctors and ElAttrache have viewed Cole’s preliminary film, and while none has detected a tear in his ulnar collateral ligament, there’s enough concern about the ligament that ElAttrache has suggested an in-person visit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There's definitely not a tear in his UCL, there's just maybe possibly a, um, [Latin words]

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

I want Verdugo cut for sac bunting in a spring training game.

This is how I learned Verdugo is a Yankee now

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Got opening day tickets, gonna take my 5 month old to her first baseball game.

I don’t know how much baseball we’ll get to see, but we’ll be there together, and we’ll definitely get some pictures with the Moose. She’ll be wearing her “Big Dumper” onesie-jersey, naturally.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

That's cool. Suggest to bring some kind of ear protection!

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

mdemone posted:

As compared to a Maddux Inning, which is three weak groundball outs on three pitches.

lol I almost included something to that effect

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I can't find any written reference to it, but Sam Miller used to refer to a 3-pitch complete inning as a "minimum inning" which has a very good mouthfeel

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Sadly the minimum game is drat near impossible :(

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Milovan Drecun posted:

Sadly the minimum game is drat near impossible :(

i think it's theoretically possible for two teams to play a complete 9 inning game without either team throwing a pitch. every batter is IBBd and picked off, except in the bottom of the 9th with 2 outs when you just issue 4 IBBs to end the game

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Cole doesn’t need TJS like Boeing didn’t kill that whistleblower.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
don’t think 2023 All-Star Bryce Elder is gonna be winning his rotation spot back any time soon

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Elders only 24 so maybe he figures it out but it seems like his fundamentals are just average to bad and he was somehow super lucky in the first half last year

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Looks like he's not the fifth starter but he's probably the sixth until at least AJSS passes him so I bet we'll be seeing plenty of him. Especially with Sale and Lopez obviously limited, not to mention injuries etc.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
He’s capable of it but I think his sinker is the type of pitch that either just feels right or it doesn’t and when it doesn’t the rest of his stuff gets exposed in a hurry.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://x.com/JeffPassan/status/1768052828168220831?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ok I’m very curious what that could be

Snelling has to be one of the guys going back

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1768055646057067003

still no news on the return

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol okay dads

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Please not Salas... :ohdear:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
lmao of course it was the Padres

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Pods used a guy the Yankees traded them in the Soto deal to get Cease heh

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1768063923213963590?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

That's the Padres #5 and #8, with Thorpe being #85 overall on MLB Pipeline literally just behind #84 Spencer Jones, who the Yankees reportedly refused to give up when they were trying to get Cease.

lol, lmao.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1768067324819689562?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Ok NOW panic sign Monty please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
A solid-if-not-elite reliever who's MLB established and comes with four seasons of control is a nice sweetener.