Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

redshirt posted:

No doubt. But I assume the only reason Boebert was ever elected is the area is deeply Chud.

She got reelected by like 400 votes in an R+6 district.

Grey Cat posted:

There goes my source of buff lesbian lumberjack videos that were occasionally forwarded to me.

It's okay, Nicole Coenen also posts on Instagram and Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sedgr posted:

Only 30% of respondents under 45? Oh wow if you poll old middle income whites that volunteer for polling Trump seems to do OK for some reason.

On the UK page, the youngest actor in the most popular contemporary actors poll was Tom Hanks.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 13, 2024

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/bidenhq/status/1767730090656301308?t=UKR1TShxVeunp4_vn5gZrw
Pretty funny how at the end he gloats about inflation going up so the fed cant cut interest rates. What a turd.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

someone on joe biden's team knows banning tiktok would be a catastrophe for him right? they have that cool social media manager making tweeters telling him, "joe if you don't veto this bill we won't be able to sell more red eye mugs"

his team seems more in touch with reality then he is, if the constant leaks and insider sources in the news are anything to go by. Its just that he doesn't listen to them.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

https://twitter.com/bidenhq/status/1767730090656301308?t=UKR1TShxVeunp4_vn5gZrw
Pretty funny how at the end he gloats about inflation going up so the fed cant cut interest rates. What a turd.

The party of pulling up the ladder

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

In my fanfic Joe Biden vetoes the bill and announces it by posting a video of him dancing on TikTok to that 'Oh no... OH NO...' song.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

lol won’t someone think of the feelings of the “Taiwan belongs to us” app?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Strong Sauce posted:

someone on joe biden's team knows banning tiktok would be a catastrophe for him right? they have that cool social media manager making tweeters telling him, "joe if you don't veto this bill we won't be able to sell more red eye mugs"

lol he already said he'd sign it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

NoiseAnnoys posted:

lol won’t someone think of the feelings of the “Taiwan belongs to us” app?
Joe Biden has outlawed Taiwan forever now. I heard it on TikTok

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

Not caring about anything as long as it doesn't affect your old person activities. God drat Patriot American. Thank you for saving this country.

Um, sir. If I may.

Losing TikTok is not exactly on the same plane as issues such as losing healthcare, or reproductive rights, or representation.

So yes in this one instance, it's not happening to me and I absolutely do not care.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Catastrophe posted:

lmao

Sorry, sorry, sorry I don't want to derail much more but I can spot that JW artwork that I grew up seeing every single darn day from a mile away, still. That one is from an invitation to The Memorial. A lot of other religions call it Easter. But the JW tradition is to sit around solemnly observing the story of Jesus dying instead of there being a rad egg-laying bunny.

(they still knock at my door and slip hand-written notes and pamphlets like this under my door to this day because my parents gave a local congregation my address in hopes that it'd make me rejoin their cult)

JW are loving nuts. it started as a weird burned over bible study thing but then some nutjob took over and made it awful. they get alot less poo poo and scrutiny because they are as an org nonviolent and nonpolitical(everyone sucks) but its a bunch of gross batshit stuff. a pretty good video from a survivor of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpMjgarN7VQ&t

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Post ITT every time you have a deep rooted sentiment regarding a social media platform

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If they’re jehovas witnesses then why has no one ever taken a photo of him hmmmm ever think about that one smart guy

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Nessus posted:

Post ITT every time you have a deep rooted sentiment regarding a social media platform

Please do not post or surf while driving.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Counted posted:

Yeah, you're right, missed that part in the report about an opt-in panel. This got me was curious so I very quickly and roughly looked up if they had a page about their respondent panels and found this.

Nothing says accuracy like a poll answered by a combination of people who are likely rushing through the answers to get enough points for that sweet, sweet Gamestop gift card and people who go out of their way to fill it out on their website.

So they take a subset skewed to be 'representative' based on a (national?) poll, from a subset of people who want to be paid. Then with the subset that responded (from the previously selected subset) they further weight the responses by demo & voting records to match a perceived population?

Seems like a random sample to me!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Waffle House posted:

Please do not post or surf while driving.
I am always driving

And always live-streaming while driving

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scags McDouglas posted:

Um, sir. If I may.

Losing TikTok is not exactly on the same plane as issues such as losing healthcare, or reproductive rights, or representation.

So yes in this one instance, it's not happening to me and I absolutely do not care.

"I don't care if something is happening as long as it isn't happening to me" is genuinely kind of lovely even if it isn't objectively important.

Like I have no strong opinions on Tik-Tok either way but I don't think it should be objectionable to say "This isn't a useful or meaningful action, it's one grounded in xenophobia and racism and will have no real impact on the actual potential negative parts of Social Media, all it does is upset and demotivate potential younger voters for no actual benefit."

I donno. Mentally this reminds me a lot of the "We need to ban D&D/violent video games/the hip hop" poo poo that was around when I was growing up.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Dapper_Swindler posted:

JW are loving nuts. it started as a weird burned over bible study thing but then some nutjob took over and made it awful. they get alot less poo poo and scrutiny because they are as an org nonviolent and nonpolitical(everyone sucks) but its a bunch of gross batshit stuff. a pretty good video from a survivor of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpMjgarN7VQ&t

An old friend of mine who was a fellow band member of mine is behind Witness Underground and other anti-JW efforts after also experiencing the abuse and hypocrisy rampant in that org's foundation. This isn't the place to get into the grimy details but that cult is rotten and disgusting from head to toe.

E: Also blows my mind that people from that "Christian" religion that I knew as a kid are now staunchly pro-Trump even though that very book that they read 4 days per week that is the basis of their religious beliefs forbids gluttony, adultery, greed, wrath, pride... like every single possible negative trait I was taught to avoid. I can't take hypocrites like that seriously and their faux piousness is bullshit.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 13, 2024

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Watching MTG complain about being banned from twitter, her Facebook posts being “shadowbanned,” and saying “Remember all the bad influence Mark Zuckerberg had on previous elections.”

I sure do remember that Marge, Boomer Facebook was a huge reason why Trump was elected!

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Bizarrely, this flier helped save my mother-in-law's life.

Several years after seeing the Photoshop Phriday of this image, I saw one on the wall of my mother-in-law's boyfriend's apartment. I was so excited to see one in the wild that I took a picture and sent it to a goon friend.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago: My mother-in-law was alone and having a mental health crisis, so we had to call an ambulance to go get her. The problem was that none of us knew the address of the apartment. I remembered taking the picture of the flier and was able to get the location from its metadata.

tldr: Photoshop Phriday saved my mother-in-law's life.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

kazil posted:

lol he already said he'd sign it

lol

Scags McDouglas posted:

Um, sir. If I may.

okay gramps glad you care about all that latter stuff and aren't mad at all that they're wasting time on this poo poo vs doing the poo poo you care about.

ImpAtom posted:

"I don't care if something is happening as long as it isn't happening to me" is genuinely kind of lovely even if it isn't objectively important.

Like I have no strong opinions on Tik-Tok either way but I don't think it should be objectionable to say "This isn't a useful or meaningful action, it's one grounded in xenophobia and racism and will have no real impact on the actual potential negative parts of Social Media, all it does is upset and demotivate potential younger voters for no actual benefit."

I donno. Mentally this reminds me a lot of the "We need to ban D&D/violent video games/the hip hop" poo poo that was around when I was growing up.

ding ding ding. this is basically "ban violent video games and rap" and "hot coffee" poo poo all over again. but now that they're influencing kids to think about genocide and how the US propagates it.. well better ban it now!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Harveygod posted:

Several years after seeing the Photoshop Phriday of this image, I saw one on the wall of my mother-in-law's boyfriend's apartment. I was so excited to see one in the wild that I took a picture and sent it to a goon friend.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago: My mother-in-law was alone and having a mental health crisis, so we had to call an ambulance to go get her. The problem was that none of us knew the address of the apartment. I remembered taking the picture of the flier and was able to get the location from its metadata.

A rare W for these forums

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Bone Crimes posted:

So they take a subset skewed to be 'representative' based on a (national?) poll, from a subset of people who want to be paid. Then with the subset that responded (from the previously selected subset) they further weight the responses by demo & voting records to match a perceived population?

Seems like a random sample to me!

"We finally found the space where TRUMP wins, this will make him tweet"

MrMojok posted:

Watching MTG complain about being banned from twitter, her Facebook posts being “shadowbanned,” and saying “Remember all the bad influence Mark Zuckerberg had on previous elections.”

I sure do remember that Marge, Boomer Facebook was a huge reason why Trump was elected!

I'm not an expert, but if you're shadowbanned, you probably are bad at posting

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I have never once used TikTok, nor do I care about it in particular (because I am an old crusty loser) but I think a nice compromise would be one TikTok per book. If you read a real person book, you can do a fun time TikTok as a treat, thank you.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Harveygod posted:

god reading those is like a time capsal.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Catastrophe posted:

An old friend of mine who was a fellow band member of mine is behind Witness Underground and other anti-JW efforts after also experiencing the abuse and hypocrisy rampant in that org's foundation. This isn't the place to get into the grimy details but that cult is rotten and disgusting from head to toe.

I went to school with a JW. He grew up gayer than a Village People comprising of 5 Freddie Mercurys.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I have never once used TikTok, nor do I care about it in particular (because I am an old crusty loser) but I think a nice compromise would be one TikTok per book. If you read a real person book, you can do a fun time TikTok as a treat, thank you.

What if you can't read like 80% of Trump's base??????

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The JW church in our town got busted for abusing basically all of the children for more than a decade. Super hosed up "religion"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

ding ding ding. this is basically "ban violent video games and rap" and "hot coffee" poo poo all over again. but now that they're influencing kids to think about genocide and how the US propagates it.. well better ban it now!

What could go wrong banning the app popular with youths a couple months before the election? It's not like Biden is already struggling with the youth vote.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Back in my day it was read a book and get a pizza, even the bribing for books wage has gone down!!

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

The JW church in our town got busted for abusing basically all of the children for more than a decade. Super hosed up "religion"

That happened where I lived also. The JW and a lot of the others except for the Presbyterian one. Those cats at the Presbyterian church always seemed like a cool lot.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I am extremely convinced from listening to him speak that former football coach Tommy tubberville is a well read scholar on the topic of climate change

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What's really going to be funny is when TikTok is banned in America, America will be the only country where TikTok is banned, and it will remain insanely popular everywhere else

Here in the land of FREEDOM, we will have voted ourselves into being banned by the government from doing something everyone else does every day and thinks nothing of it.

We're already a backwater in terms of health care and social safety net and even technology, but till now people have been able to say "well it's because we're free to not have government services, we pay less taxes so :911:"

But this will be way harder to spin. We'll just have voluntarily and intentionally made ourselves a shithole

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24479707-trump-bond-3132024

Chubb defends the bond.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

lol we were a shithole before TikTok you gibbering loon.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Does no one have critical thinking or reading comprehension about the Tiktok bill? It's a mandatory divestment bill, not a per se ban bill. The Chinese company is allowed to make as much money as they want from a sale and once they don't own it anymore the app will be back. Frankly, they are likely to sell their stake before it even gets to Biden's desk once they see the writing on the wall.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
imagine defending tiktok. lmao. just LOL!

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

Does no one have critical thinking or reading comprehension about the Tiktok bill? It's a mandatory divestment bill, not a per se ban bill. The Chinese company is allowed to make as much money as they want from a sale and once they don't own it anymore the app will be back. Frankly, they are likely to sell their stake before it even gets to Biden's desk once they see the writing on the wall.

this is bad for Biden because,

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

What's really going to be funny is when TikTok is banned in America, America will be the only country where TikTok is banned, and it will remain insanely popular everywhere else

Here in the land of FREEDOM, we will have voted ourselves into being banned by the government from doing something everyone else does every day and thinks nothing of it.

We're already a backwater in terms of health care and social safety net and even technology, but till now people have been able to say "well it's because we're free to not have government services, we pay less taxes so :911:"

But this will be way harder to spin. We'll just have voluntarily and intentionally made ourselves a shithole
TikTok is even banned in China lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

LifeSunDeath posted:

imagine defending tiktok. lmao. just LOL!

post one person defending tiktok op