Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know a Dr. who goes by "phil" and he becomes enraged if you ever call him "dr phil"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for getting a snack in my pajamas?

quote:

I (18f) have a roommate who recently got a boyfriend. I was taking a nap on my day off, and I woke up and heard them talking. I misheard where they were, and thought they were in a spot where they wouldn't see me getting a snack from the fridge, so I went in my pajamas (a sports bra and booty shorts that say "no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here" on the butt. Her boyfriend saw it, and kind of stared a bit at my rear end and laughed fairly hard.

My roommate got pretty upset when he left, asking why I was so immature and called me a slut (true, but hurtful in the moment)

Unexpected Sandia National Laboratories there...

(If you're not familiar with it, there was a paper trying to communicate a nuclear waste dump 10,000 years in the future where there's no common language, and the concepts that they felt had to be communicated were:
This place is a message... and part of a system of messages... pay attention to it!
Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.
The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
The danger is to the body, and it can kill.
The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.
The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i was with my wife for about 7 years before she crammed a ring on my finger and told me to stop loving about. was very against marriage and kids and all that since i had a few failed marriages before that and didnt want to deal with it.

was a good slap in the face i deserved. it will be like 12 years in august. some guys need an ultimatum. especially stupid ones like me.

I dunno man, maybe OP wasn't interested in marrying someone stupid?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:iceburn:

you arent wrong.....

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

drat I want those booty shorts.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I know a Dr. who goes by "phil" and he becomes enraged if you ever call him "dr phil"

That's just smart branding, imo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hughlander posted:

booty shorts that say "no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here" on the butt

:laffo: Just when I've been feeling the reddit stories are in a bit of a slump

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Hughlander posted:

booty shorts that say "no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here" on the butt

Where'd she get those shorts? I want those for myself.

Also op made a small edit:

OP posted:

Edit Regarding the Dm's: Down boys! Not into online stuff, lol.

Ah, desperate redditors

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
[MA] BANNED FROM SMASH BROS

quote:

I was BANNED from my local super smash bros melee scene. They use the local community college to host this and TOLD ME BY EMAIL IF I CAME THERE THEY WOULD NOT ALLOW ME IN. This was out of nowhere so I immediately called the TO, who told me why. He said it was because I was frequently toxic and angry. He said that I yell at players and make them uncomfortable and scared, and that a girl quit because of me. While I DO sometimes get frustrated and vocalize it, so do many other people I am simply being discriminated against my voice is naturally deeper than most. also the truth is a girl never quit that is a complete lie, she was just butthurt that she was worst than everyone there. I'm so loving irate. I've been a member of this community FOR YEARS and just now I'm a nuisance? I am entitled to a certain level of RESPECT for being a veteran player. I'm looking into finding a lawyer who get me unbanned. There MUST be a law that prevents people from arbitrarily banning others from certain locations without written documents proving it (the TO just SAID I was banned he did not provide any evidence.) The TO isn't rich or anything so I don't think I would have to ask a lot from him, I think he'd break under just pressure of lawsuit.
update to smash situation

quote:

I will be seeking with a legal expert that is well versed in property law and will address these issues.

For the few posters on this board who actually reached out to me and provided legal advice/support and didn't just insult me, thank you.

For members who have openly supported me, thank you I appreciate your support. Justice will be seen soon.

I seek open cooperation with any parties who wish to bridge out to me. Thank you.

To all I have offended, i am sincerely sorry from the bottom of my heart

quote:

If you're not interested in my story you can just scroll down to the bottom where I'm telling you what I'm doing next.

So i wake up to my post last night GOING VIRAL on like 50 different boards all over the internet. im banned from the facebook page now (so on top of everything else now he's interfering with my ability to tell my side of the story to the group), blocked from several members twitter, taken off the email list. I'm getting a ton of texts and emails from everyone in the club and the good news is, a decent amount of people there support me. i think its funny bc even with all his attempts to manipulate everyone into hating me there are still people there that can see the truth. ;)

but the TO says he's actually gonna seek legal action if i show up again because he viewed my post of punching him in the face (you know the one lol) as a LEGIT THREAT when it was OBVIOUSLY just meant to be a joke. lmao just lmao because it's not like I'VE BEEN DEALING WITH ACTUAL DEATH THREATS FROM ALL OVER THE INTERNET ALL MORNING.

I just think its hilarious how far this little bitch has gone in his attempts to get me banned, all the lies and being pussy about fake joke threats. And I think i know the reason, and i'll address you publically bc i know you know this account and you've made it impossible for me to contact you anywhere else.

I JV 3'd you in the october monthly and sent you into losers 2-0 in semis where you got destroyed by Tim and ever since you've been the biggest bitch on the face of the earth. you call me salty bc I react loudly, throw controllers, trash talk players etc. but the truth is I don't have a fraction of the amount of salt you have. you think you're some sort of top player but you're complete poo poo you haven't won ANYTHING in like an entire year. you take it out on me because you were better then me for a while, I admit, but now I'm loving raping you every time we fight and you can't deal with that because your a salty coward. gently caress you and your girlfriend is a fat whore.

honestly just get good ;)

In other news I will be seeking with a legal expert that is well versed in property law and will basically stop this fake "ban" that he has on me. As of now i'd have no issue with just showing up next weekly because there's nothing that makes the ban legally legitimate but I have other stuff to do and i don't want to get involved with the retarded campus police who will probably follow his orders because they don't know actual law.

For the few posters on this board who actually reached out to me and provided legal advice/support and didn't just insult me, thank you. Even though Ive gotten a ton of hatemail from people who aren't getting my side of the story, ive also gotten a lot of support and i am confident things will turn out well in the end. :)

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

BrideOfUglycat posted:

And now we've been married for 20 years (today!).

Congrats!

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cythereal posted:

lmao what property law lol? Here's hoping a dirtbag lawyer will take him on, charge him thousands in fees before dumping him as a client.

Also is the super smash bros community more toxic than other fighting game communities? I know next to nothing about fighting games, but seem to have the impression that super smash bros people are weird. Maybe it's just my prejudice.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for leaving a dinner party after a girl sat on my husband's lap?

quote:

I am still so shook with everything so sorry for my rambling. My husband (Jake) and i have been married for 3 years and from the begining he was very close with his best friend's sister (cindy) (18f). Well my husband would often talk about her and tell how he had seen her grow up throughout the years. Cindy is always very bubbly and seems very fond of Jake as well. I remember when we were dating she would ask to come along on our dates a lot. I never really said anything as i liked spending time with her as well. She was like a little sister to me. When we announced our engagement she asked to my husband to "better not forget her" after being a married man and to still hang out with her.

Well we got married and i even made her my bridesmaid. Soon we moved to a different state and kind of lost contact. Now Jake's best friend came to stay with us for sometime and cindy came along as well. Now the moment she saw us the first thing she said was how hot my husband has gotten and she was glad he didn't look like those boring married men. Then throughout their stay cindy would just ignore my presence and will be way too close with jake. I told jake that it was looking a bit inappropriate and to ask cindy to tone it down, but he said that cindy is just a bit childish and is that way with everybody.

Well at their last day we decided to host a dinner party for everybody. During the party i was with jake when cindy came and told me "oh i need to steal ur husband for a while" and before i could say something she grabbed jake's hand and took him for playing games. I ignored it since it was their last day, but then throughout the dinner she was getting way too close with jake and would just drag him away whenever i would be around while giggling at me. When everybody sat for dinner i sat beside jake and cindy came last. She then said "oh there is no seat" and then just went and sat on my husband's lap. Everybody was surprised and jake's said laughing "cindy stop acting like a kid, u r not a kid anymore". Cindy started laughing saying it was a joke and got up and sat on other seat while giggling at me. Yeah i was so angry with the disrespect, and with the fact that Jake was so cool with it, but i didn't wanna say anything bad so i excused myself took my car and went out. About 1hr later jake called me asking where i was. I told him i am going to my friend's house and i will come after cindy has left. I know what i did was terrible but i was so angry at that time that if i had stayed there any longer i would have probably started fighting or crying. I came the next day and cindy and her family had left.

Jake was very pissed and said i took things too far. I started crying and told him how everything made me feel. He said i was horrible to think such things about cindy and that she was like his siter. I told him that i was not doubting his intentions but i was hurt by how disrespectful cindy's behaviour was and he was enabling her by not saying anything. He started saying that i sound ridiculous and couldn't even take a joke (referring to the sitting on lap incident). I said regardless i don't want her in my house again.

To top it off cindy sent a message saying that she was sorry about making me so insecure in myself, and that she would make sure to make me feel better, but i should not have left as it was pretty childish and kind of spoilt the mood. It felt so backhanded, i didn't reply anything to her.

I just told my husband he needs to maintain a distance with cindy. He asked if i was giving him an ultimatum, i said if he will go as far as disregard and disrespect my feelings for cindy? This really rubbed my husband the wrong way and he said since i have such disgusting thoughts in my mind, and is giving him an ultimatum anyways, then he might as well leave because he cannot leave with such an insecure person who has such disgusting thoughts about him. He packed a bag and left to his mother's place. I have tried apologising numerous times, telling how sorry i am for everything, but he is ignoring my texts and calls.

Later cindy's brother texted me and called me a bunch of names to think like that about his sister saying jake should just leave me and a disgusting person like me deserves to be alone. I could not stop crying after that. Idk how to fix this. Is there a way to even come back? Was i so wrong to deserve this? Idk anymore.

Edit- People who are asking our ages, we are 25 yo, just months apart.

Update- Thank you all for responding and people who gave me good advices in personal messages. I couldn't read all the comments, but now i know my feelings are valid and boundaries were crossed by cindy. Now during the dinner there was cindy, her brother shawn and his gf, and their cousin derek (also a good friend of my husband) with his bf. So i called derek and asked about the situation and what happened after I left. He was sympathetic and said that after I left at first they thought i would come back after sometime however things were really awkward, but when i didn't come, shawn's gf told cindy that she was so disrespectful for doing that. Derek and his bf also said the same thing. To this cindy started crying saying they didn't have to corner her and attack her over a silly joke, that she didn't know it would get so out of hand. She then left the room while crying. Jake didn't know what to say and everybody left early the next day.

Derek also told that cindy has always had issues with boundaries and when he introduced his bf to everybody cindy would get too close and would joke that she was just checking if he was really gay. They were really uncomfortable with it as well so derek confronted her, to which cindy rolled her eyes and said they can't take a joke and eventually stopped. This all sounds so bizarre, idk what's going on with cindy. Shawn's gf also texted me saying she was sorry for what happened. I told him how shawn's message was inappropriate, but she had no idea about the text, so i sent her a screenshot and asked her to tell shawn to not harass me again. She was very apologetic and said she would talk to him.

Now my mil called and asked what was going on as jake didn't tell her and only said we had an argument, i was a bit hesitant to tell but eventually told everything. She was furious at my husband. She said they will be coming to have a talk. So yeah i am just waiting for them to arrive and really nervous. Idk if what i did was right or wrong but we will see. As for people saying my husband is some pedo or they are having an affair, i know this is furthest from the truth. I never questioned his intentions, but what hurt me was the lack of respect from cindy towards me.

UPDATE2- So my mil came with my husband and well the "talk" happened. There were a lot of things but i will try to summarize. Basically jake apologised to me first and tried to explain his pov. He said that he was angry because (a) I left without saying anything for the whole night when he was literally trying to just diffuse the situation and tried to laugh it off because it was so awkward he didn't know what else to do, but instead of communicating i just left him in that weird situation. He was meeting his friends after such a long time, and just wanted the dinner to be peaceful and cindy was going back anyways and we would most likely never meet her again. (B) He acknowledged cindy was indeed overstepping boundaries but he didn't know how to bring it up since he has literally seen her growing up and she is like a little sister to him, also she acts like that with everyone. He thought that it was just for a few days and he wanted no drama during their stay so he would just brush it off. He did acknowledge he was wrong about not saying anything. (C) He was already really worried and sad because how i just left with no explanations. Even after i came not once i asked how he felt. He was also very overwhelmed with everything and felt i was accusing him for not doing anything when he literally pushed her off as politely as possible when she tried to sit. He felt i was attacking his character and even gave the ultimatum, which made him so sad as he felt if i thought that less of him. It wasn't about cindy, but about how easy it was for me to question his sincerity. He said after that dinner he was going to go extremely LC with her anyways. (D) he apologised for not speaking up about the disrespect cindy was showing towards me and for also leaving like that.

Then after jake said everything mil explained jake about the situation from her perspective. She scolded him a lot as well. In short, she told him that as a husband it was his responsibilty to make me feel like i am his priority, and that he disappointed me the moment I had to come to him to ask for establishing boundaries. As a husband it was his duty that i never would have to come to him about this in the first place. She also asked him how he would have felt, had it been a guy on my lap, and he had no answer to it. She told him how what i did was an eruption of suppressed feelings and as a husband it was his duty to go afer me and never let me leave in the first place. There were a lot of things said by her and jake seemed to realise and sincerely apologised for his actions. She told him if he ever pulled such stunt ever again, then to not expect her to take him in.

Later, she took me for a walk. It was just the two of us, and there she explained some things to me as well. She said that she is sorry for everything, but told that even at her house jake was distraught. He didn't tell her because he most likely knew he was wrong too but was overwhelmed about everything as well. She said she in no way excusing her son's behaviour, but would hope that i would forgive him. She also said that in no circumstances i need to leave my house as it was my house and my family. She said i shouldn't be afraid in speaking my mind if anything makes me uncomfortable, and to talk to her if jake does something stupid again and she will "set him straight". She hoped we work it out since she has seen our love for each other, and it would be sad to see us split up due to some disrespectful brat (her words). She said she cannot have a say in our issues, but suggested that we should get counselling to understand each other better. She even bought ice cream for me (i know its a bit childish but she said sweet things work as a charm when people are upset, and well she was right😅)

Well it was awkward at night. Jake came to our room and we didn't know what to say. After a while we talked and both apologised to each other. However i did tell that i was angry at him to tell everything to shawn and was deeply hurt by the text he sent me. He said he didn't know what i was talking about and i showed him the texts. He said he didn't tell shawn about our fight, and only told him that he was at mom's place. He called shawn and well it turns out shawn told cindy and told her how she went too far at the party. Then cindy made a huge sob story about how i was passive agressive with her the whole time, how i would always try to question her character, and act insecure and jealous. She even went on to say that i was always like that with her even when she was a kid and that i never liked her and always tried to manipulate people into thinking i was an angel while she was a sl*t. Well that made him angry to think how i have been treating cindy and he sent those texts. Jake and I were baffled by such accusations and he tried to explain shawn how it wasn't true but then jake just let it be and decided to go no contact with cindy and extremely LC with shawn. Jake apologised again and we just cuddled and slept. Well cindy is out of our lives for good now and we have decided to go counselling for better communication in future. Let's see how everything goes in future but yeah we are not getting divorced. I know a lot of you people wanted me to show jake this post, but he was so sad and got scolded a lot already, so i decided to not show him for now. Maybe in future. Sorry for all this rambling😅. Have a good day people.

EDIT- I read people saying we should be NC with shawn too, and i felt that it would be best to let that friendship go as well, so i talked to my husband about it, and he agreed. So he sent a text to shawn stating we could not be friends with him and then blocked him as well. To clarify, I have somewhat forgiven jake for his action but i told him he needs to rebuilt the trust i had, so i know i can rely on him in situations like that. He agreed and we will get couple's counselling as well. That you all for your advice, u all made me feel less lonely in all of this.

Sorry for the wall of text but:

Holy poo poo husband sucks.
Holy poo poo Cindy knew exactly what she was doing at every step of the way.
Holy poo poo redditors actually communicating and :therapy:

There's a small amount of hope here.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Shanghaied posted:

lmao what property law lol? Here's hoping a dirtbag lawyer will take him on, charge him thousands in fees before dumping him as a client.

Also is the super smash bros community more toxic than other fighting game communities? I know next to nothing about fighting games, but seem to have the impression that super smash bros people are weird. Maybe it's just my prejudice.

from everything I've seen all the fighting games have terrible communities, but I think smash is the smelliest

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

kimbo305 posted:

Making millennia of philosophy students read the Allegory of the Cave? Big heel move.

Every time someone on the internet has talked about the Allegory of the Cave without making jokes about it, they've always been a self-important idiot who thinks they're smart. It sucks but it's good for weeding out assholes.

Mx. posted:

AITB for blocking someone randomly?

quote:

That night we were messaging each other and I called him a misogynist as a joke. He thought I was being serious and sent a full paragraph to explain why and how he wasn’t.

rotinaj posted:

If someone’s default excuse as to why a bunch’a ladies didn’t like him is that all the women were misandrists, the dude may be bundled up and thrown away in a nearby garbage receptacle.
Two problems why they're not the problem

From Slate advice, apparently during 2020:

quote:

This summer, my neighbors have custody of their grandchild. They send the kid over early in the morning, in her swimsuit, and she starts asking if she can swim. I allowed her to hop in with my kids one day, and she used the potty in the pool. Since then, I have been firm that no one but our family can swim; but still they send her over, without invitation, for the day, everyday. My own kids have only been able to swim six times in six weeks at this point because this kid is always here. If I send her home, her grandparents sit on the porch with her and watch my kids swim.

My husband says I’m not being fair, and I should just include the kid. But I don’t want to clean poop from my pool again. I also feel that it is unfair of these virtual strangers to expect me to babysit, lifeguard, and clean up after their grandchild every day. If we are being honest, my own children have been home for well over 115 days in a row, and I am so over the constant child care that I don’t want to watch yet one more kid, swimming pool or not. Am I being unreasonable about this? Do I have a responsibility to open my pool to the neighbors’ grandkid?

quote:

I mean, there are swim diapers that can deal with poop (not the poop germs and bacteria, of course, just … the materials), but I suspect that even if this kid were in an astronaut suit, you quite reasonably do not want to take on the responsibility of lifeguarding and monitoring someone else’s kid.

My sympathy for these grandparents, who I am sure did not envision having to take custody of a child during a pandemic, dried up very quickly when I read that they just keep sending her over every day putting you in the position of being the bad guy for wanting to enjoy the quiet use of your own property. Be nice to her, walk her back, say you’re so sorry but the pool is not available. If they want to sit on their porch and guilt-trip you all day with their eyes, that’s on them. If your husband cannot bear to back you up on this, he can be the lifeguard, and he can disinfect your pool.

I also strongly urge you to get a locking pool cover, as pools are frequently considered “attractive nuisances” in many places, and no one wants the unfathomable tragedy of a neighbor’s child coming to harm on their property.

I am sorry this is happening. You are not an ogre for not wanting a kid who is not potty-trained using your pool, nor for not wanting to have to perp-walk some poor child off your property every morning.
Commenters saying the husband can monitor the children and clean the pool.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

trickybiscuits posted:

Two problems why they're not the problem

Maybe it’s just me but I have no idea what you are trying to say

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Shanghaied posted:

video games turn people into freaks

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hughlander posted:

AITA for leaving a dinner party after a girl sat on my husband's lap?

Sorry for the wall of text but:

Holy poo poo husband sucks.
Holy poo poo Cindy knew exactly what she was doing at every step of the way.
Holy poo poo redditors actually communicating and :therapy:

There's a small amount of hope here.

I feel like the husband telling Cindy she needed to stop acting like a kid was probably extremely cutting and dismissive to her, like that's a clear boundary setting and a public embarrassment to Cindy.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Cythereal posted:

A classic

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Shanghaied posted:

It certainly SEEMS more toxic than other communities around fighting games but I can't help but wonder if part of that is that they're just louder about it, combined with the whole 'isn't smash bros a party game not a fighting game' thing always hovering around the edge. :shrug:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

How old is the kid that the grandparents feel okay letting her walk to another house unsupervised, but still shits in the pool?

I think the easiest solution is just don't answer the door or let the kid in. "Sorry, can't play today." Let the neighbors sulk on the porch, who gives af about them?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Hughlander posted:

lmfao

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
How that snack got in my pajamas I'll never know

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FMguru posted:

Recent story got an update

UPDATE on finding my wife unattractive after her plastic surgery.

Affection, empathy, and communication winning the day?! Not in my r/relationships trainwreck thread!

Good OP. Mom and sis can go gently caress themselves.

The OP of those posts is great if just for his roasts of his inlaws:

quote:

I have never openly commented on her Handsome Squidward relatives

quote:

If my MIL and SIL have much more done on their eyes they are going to look like Quaid before the oxygen reactor kicks in.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Reminds me of that 15-year-old kid who got himself banned from the comic shop game night for trying to seduce the 30-year-old girlfriend of the shop owner. His posts were hilarious too.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Angry Smash Brothers Guy is going to get the cops called on him for trespassing, and from his own posts trying to cast himself in a good light I'd preemptively ban him from any kind of gaming event that I run. The guy running the event already has written documentation that he banned ASBG in the form of an email, and ASBG responded to it proving that he read it, so in a lot of places that's enough to actually press trespassing charges if he shows up (rather than have the police tell him to leave and that he'll be charged next time). And while there are plenty of difficulties with getting cops to enforce more complicated law, in my experience trespassing is one of the things they generally show up for and handle competently.

I'm guessing ASBG is not the type get out to bars and clubs a lot, if you spend some weekend nights going out you'll see firsthand how much discretion the people who events open to the public on private property actually have to eject people they don't want there. Seeing a few obnoxious drunks get bounced, often in a rather physical manner, could be very eye-opening to this guy.

Pantaloon Pontiff fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 13, 2024

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I want you to exit this dork off the premises and I want you to exit him off his feet and use his head to open the fuckin door

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kitfox88 posted:

It certainly SEEMS more toxic than other communities around fighting games but I can't help but wonder if part of that is that they're just louder about it, combined with the whole 'isn't smash bros a party game not a fighting game' thing always hovering around the edge. :shrug:

There's a lot of overlap of play between most other fighting games, but Smash players for the most part only play Smash so they don't have really integrate with the rest of the fighting game scene.

Also Nintendo keeps trying (and succeeding?) to prevent Smash from being a competitive game, even they don't like Smash players.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
r/BORUpdates/ has started doing "Wholesome Wednesdays", where they repost wholesome stories. Here's a recent one:

My husband doesn’t know that I know what he’s up to

quote:

My (33f) husband (34m) and I had our first baby back in June of last year. My husband’s aunt gifted our son a lovely chunky knitted blanket. The blanket is so soft and I have made multiple comments about how I would like to find a full size blanket just like it because it is so cozy and I’m kind of jealous of my baby.

Well, this past weekend my husband snuck off to the store. He refused to tell me where he was going and why, but I later found a plastic bag with the logo of a local crafting store. That evening, DH stated that he would like to have an hour of alone time every night after our son goes to sleep. He stressed that he would not like to be disturbed, but if I needed him then I could call/text him. I agreed to this because we are both adjusting to have very little “me” time since the birth of our son.

Last night, during his alone time our son started crying. I checked the baby monitor and saw that he had simply lost his pacifier and was going back to sleep. However, the baby monitor also shows part of our son’s room, not just his crib. In the corner of his room I saw my husband sitting on the floor with a bunch of chunky yarn in front of him. I turned the volume up and heard that he was watching a YouTube video on how to finger knit. This sweet man is making me a blanket.

He absolutely loves surprising me but is terrible at keeping secrets. I just know that he is going to slip up and accidentally mention something about the blanket at some point. I plan on acting clueless so that I will still be surprised when he gives it to me. I just love him so much and I’m so delighted that he’s learning a new skill so I can have a custom blanket.
Two weeks later...

quote:

My sweet husband broke. He kept on mentioning that he was working on a surprise for me. I would occasionally ask what this mysterious project was and he would get a cheeky smile and say “I can’t tell you!” That eventually evolved into him repeatedly telling me that keeping the surprise was really hard and he wanted to just tell me. I kept saying “no! You’ve kept it a surprise for this long, you can keep going!” But one day after dinner he decided he couldn’t keep it in anymore. He showed it to me. It was only about 1/4 done, but it was lovely. The yarn was really soft and was my favorite color. I could tell he had taken his time because of the consistency of all the loops. Even unfinished it was perfect.

He told me that he kept moving it around to different hiding spots, but since our house is very small it was only a matter of time before I accidentally found it. He said he had run out of yarn and asked if I wanted to pick out another color to add to it. I said yes and we made a little date out of it. We grabbed lunch and then walked around the craft store before I picked out a complimentary color to the one he chose.

He hasn’t had much time to work on it the last few days, but he assured me it will be finished by my birthday. I’ll post a picture of the blanket when it’s finished. For now, I am wildly impressed with how long he kept it a secret and I’m so excited to have my first ever handmade blanket.
:3: D'awww

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

FMguru posted:

r/BORUpdates/ has started doing "Wholesome Wednesdays", where they repost wholesome stories. Here's a recent one:

My husband doesn’t know that I know what he’s up to

Two weeks later...

:3: D'awww

YTA for using the term "DH"

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
daa husband

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

Shanghaied posted:

Hughlander posted:

This place is a message... and part of a system of messages... pay attention to it!
Sending this message was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.
This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.
The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.
The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.
The danger is to the body, and it can kill.
The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.
The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Shanghaied posted:

YTA for using the term "DH"

Deez husbands.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

quantumwell posted:

Reminds me of that 15-year-old kid who got himself banned from the comic shop game night for trying to seduce the 30-year-old girlfriend of the shop owner. His posts were hilarious too.

Do you have a link? I'm not sure I recall this one.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I still think the best "How dare you ban me?!" story is the guy who would go to the American Girl cafe and get drunk off of wine while eating crab cakes.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Shanghaied posted:

I dunno about Smash Ultimate (the newest one) but Smash Melee (the Gamecube one and the one in the post) is absolutely full of the angriest and most insular turbonerds on the planet, and has been for the past 20 years. These are people who are so devoted to playing Smash Bros "the correct way" that Melee tournaments have to be played on huge old CRT TVs, because newer TVs and monitors cause a 1-frame input lag or some poo poo when you connect them to an old-rear end Gamecube.

You can probably guess how often new people join the Melee community from that fact alone, and the game is 23 years old.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed

Kitfox88 posted:

Smash players are obnoxious, smelly weebs who have no social skills. Best fighting game community is King of Fighters, they always have the best food

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

limp_cheese posted:

I still think the best "How dare you ban me?!" story is the guy who would go to the American Girl cafe and get drunk off of wine while eating crab cakes.

rofl

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

yeah that one was really good

so many good ones over the years :911:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I dunno about Smash Ultimate (the newest one) but Smash Melee (the Gamecube one and the one in the post) is absolutely full of the angriest and most insular turbonerds on the planet, and has been for the past 20 years. These are people who are so devoted to playing Smash Bros "the correct way" that Melee tournaments have to be played on huge old CRT TVs, because newer TVs and monitors cause a 1-frame input lag or some poo poo when you connect them to an old-rear end Gamecube.

You can probably guess how often new people join the Melee community from that fact alone, and the game is 23 years old.

Don't forget "half the stages aren't allowed and items off is the only REAL way to play the game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Do you have a link? I'm not sure I recall this one.

I found the first part, including the highly instructive comments. Didn't know there was a followup.

I [17M] am in love with the GM of my weekly D&D group [32F]. How do I tell her?

quote:

Four years ago I started going to a weekly D&D game at my local game shop. The game is run by a 32 year old woman, A. A has been in a relationship with a 27 year old guy, R, the entire time I've known her, but R recently proposed to A.

I don't think R is good for her. He forgot her birthday last year, and I've never seen them do anything romantic together, not even kiss, despite the fact that he has been coming to these games the whole time.

R doesn't have a lucrative career, either. He got his PhD and barely makes ends meet as an adjunct professor, only because he's living off the money A makes.

I'm starting college next year, and I'm majoring in Computer Science. I'll be making way more money, and I'll be able to take way better care of her.

I'm not just talking out of my rear end, either. I'm pretty sure she has some kind of feelings for me, because she's bought me dinner a few times on game night, and she always tells me how smart and funny I am, she seems super interested in my college plans, and she asked me if I had a girlfriend last year.

I know it seems weird, since she's 15 years older than me, but if you saw us together you'd understand.

tl;dr: I'm in love with my GM, and I'm a better choice for her than her boyfriend. How do I get her to understand that?

quote:

She doesn't like you as anything more than a friend, and she is engaged. I'm cringing at your paragraph about going into Comp Sci and being better than her partner because of that.

Dude, I hate to break it to you, but no, this is a terrible idea.

You are 17, you're not even a legal adult and you know nothing about their relationship. This woman is old enough to actually be your mother.

I strongly suggest you pump the breaks on this.

quote:

>I've never seen them do anything romantic together, not even kiss, despite the fact that he has been coming to these games the whole time.

quote:

means nothing, a lot of people aren't comfortable with showing affection in public and to do that in a pnp group wouldn't be very professional

quote:

>R doesn't have a lucrative career, either. He got his PhD and barely makes ends meet as an adjunct professor, only because he's living off the money A makes.

quote:

completely irrelevant

quote:

>I'm starting college next year, and I'm majoring in Computer Science. I'll be making way more money, and I'll be able to take way better care of her.

quote:

she doesn't need someone to take care of her she is a grown woman. not to mention 1) you haven't graduated with your degree yet 2) you don't have a guaranteed job once you graduate with hypothetical degree 3) you don't know if you're going maintain a CS degree

quote:

>I'm pretty sure she has some kind of feelings for me, because she's bought me dinner a few times on game night, and she always tells me how smart and funny I am, she seems super interested in my college plans, and she asked me if I had a girlfriend last year.

quote:

that sounds to me like she's just being motherly and caring for you in a very platonic way

Dude, she's engaged. Even if she wasn't, she isn't going to want to be with a high school student. She will be at least 36 by the time you graduate college. It isn't just the age difference. You are in totally different places in your lives. She's looking to get married and possibly have kids. You are going to be going to parties and studying for finals.

Focus on finding a girl closer to your own age.

This truly, truly will not end well for you.

You don't know what their relationship is like on the inside, and even if you're sure she's making a bad choice, it's her choice to make. It is patronizing of you to assume she doesn't know what she's doing, or to suggest that she needs you to take care of her financially.

She is being nice and showing interest in you because you're friends, not because she has romantic feelings for you. Often, people are extra nice to kids or teenagers in a group of adults; asking if you have a girlfriend is exactly what an adult would do to a teenage boy they share a hobby with, nothing more.

Please don't bring this up to her or anyone. There is a 0% chance of this ending well for you, and it may make your D&D group incredibly awkward.

Just because people don't kiss in front of others doesn't mean that they don't care about each other.

Sounds like she thinks of you as a nice kid. That's how I treat the twelve year olds I babysit. Obviously she isn't going to engage in PDA infringe of children, which you are.

Also, you're just a terrible person for wanting to make a move on an engaged woman. She can do way better than you, and it sounds like she is doing just that.

I totally get why you're into this woman, but I'm afraid to be deserving of the chance that she changes her mind with R, you also have to be the kind of person to wait it out and not make any moves to sabotage her relationship. You might be seeing her behaviors in the wrong light, and the focus on comparing yourself to the person she's with really doesn't make you seem like someone to root for or help.

Waaaait it out - If the feelings become a problem, remove yourself before considering getting between them, and if nothing happens for too long, maybe try to meet other women her age/like her. Both your best shot at her changing her mind about R, and your best shot at coming out of things alright if nothing happens between you.

quote:

>If I wait too long, she'll be married to him, and they'll probably have a kid, and I'm not interested in raising his kids.