Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I haven't felt a need to bolster the caravans, as recruiting a new one is really cheap and caravans become sorta useless around mid-game as you won't be strapped for cash anymore. Getting the items from each destination is the big thing. After that it's fine to forget they exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Khalida rules

weakest of the tomb kings and that's saying something

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Send your first caravan to the Von Carsteins and get the blade that gives you regen and put it on your dragon.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Thanks everybody, Khalida does in fact rule. Love a starting position with good chokepoints, especially for a faction as slow-starting as TKs.

It is... odd... to me that they'll introduce new factions with improved versions of old faction mechanics, and not update the old faction mechanic at all. Like, Tomb Kings (older) and Thorek (newer) both have mechanics where you want to occupy certain settlements to acquire specific goodies. With Thorek, you can also acquire the goodie by getting an alliance with the settlement holder. But you can't do that with TKs, so I'm faced with war-deccing Karl, Louen and Tyrion to get the trinkets out of Drakenhoff, Mousillon and the White Tower, which was annoying enough, but also having to schlep armies like 10+ turns away from my actual theater to loot those specific settlements. (Or just ignore the Books of Nagash, but if you give me a faction mechanic I WILL use it).

Also funny: TKs have such an insanely detailed long victory condition, requiring you to raise all the old pyramids, which would be a little easier if you could confederate their current owners. Very funny in comparison to the Vamp Coast whose campaign condition was pretty much just "Sack 75 cities! And that's it!!!"

Muscle Tracer fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 12, 2024

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Khatep was one of my first campaigns in WH3 (and one of the few total victory ones), but his victory conditions being the same as the other TKs sucks because, as mentioned, you can't confederate your way to victory and you have to travel from the Pacific Northwest to Africa to achieve any of them, with a ton of hostiles in the way.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Man, settlement pathfinding is still a shitshow. Love to see 4 units of infantry all try and climb the same set of ladders, instead of going through the gates I destroyed.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

Man, settlement pathfinding is still a shitshow. Love to see 4 units of infantry all try and climb the same set of ladders, instead of going through the gates I destroyed.

This is my biggest complaint about the game. I don't even use ladders most of the time due to it.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Thanks everybody, Khalida does in fact rule. Love a starting position with good chokepoints, especially for a faction as slow-starting as TKs.

Also funny: TKs have such an insanely detailed long victory condition, requiring you to raise all the old pyramids, which would be a little easier if you could confederate their current owners. Very funny in comparison to the Vamp Coast whose campaign condition was pretty much just "Sack 75 cities! And that's it!!!"

there's a part of me that kind of thinks it's on purpose, because lorefully the tomb kings are kind of weird, as in they will travel halfway across the world because someone took their random trinket, to hell with whoever is in the way. and the lack of confederation, i mean, these are all thousands of year old dynasties, if they were down for joining up with each and subsuming their primacy, they would have already done it. Like if settra could confederate that would be terrible, since settra doesn't serve.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Mantis42 posted:

Send your first caravan to the Von Carsteins and get the blade that gives you regen and put it on your dragon.

This, the one from Marienburg (+20% income from trade) and the one from Myrmidens (+5% income from all of your buildings) are plain silly.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Ardent Communist posted:

there's a part of me that kind of thinks it's on purpose, because lorefully the tomb kings are kind of weird, as in they will travel halfway across the world because someone took their random trinket, to hell with whoever is in the way. and the lack of confederation, i mean, these are all thousands of year old dynasties, if they were down for joining up with each and subsuming their primacy, they would have already done it. Like if settra could confederate that would be terrible, since settra doesn't serve.

Settra can suck it

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Hot new mod dropped:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3180176459

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

yet another reason ladders pocket dimension ladders ruined the game >:[[[

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Ghosts should be able to go through walls

I don't care if it's blatantly OP, what's the point of having ghosts assault a walled city if they have to climb ladders to get in?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Ghosts should be able to go through walls

I don't care if it's blatantly OP, what's the point of having ghosts assault a walled city if they have to climb ladders to get in?

It was good enough for those guys in LotR, it should be good enough for CA.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cranappleberry posted:

yet another reason ladders pocket dimension ladders ruined the game >:[[[

Shogun 2 had no siege equipment at all and it's still the best

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I think the only time I've used ladders was as delves when I could just send a squad of shades around the back. Even then, with three units, once the gates were opened one unit would invariably beeline for the ladders.

Muscle Tracer posted:

It was good enough for those guys in LotR, it should be good enough for CA.

Or to pull from other cinema, you should be able to build a ramp over the walls using zombie bodies World War Z style.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Bring back the undermining thing from Rome 1

Edit: and honestly I really liked the escalation mechanic from Atilla that gradually wore down walls and towers the longer you maintained the siege. Maybe it's still in the game?? Whatever

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

I try to avoid ever using ladders due to the pathfinding problems of getting everyone through a gate when there is a ladder available, you should only ever consider ladders if you have perfect vigor infantry and a decent chunk of monsters that won't try to use the ladders while smashing the gate defenders.

The game's greatest sin in sieges is forcing you to build a battering ram before sieging a city and then when you get ingame you abandon the ram because it's much faster to have some infantry or dogs chew through the gate long before the battering ram would lumber over.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The game's greatest sin in sieges is forcing you to build a battering ram before sieging a city and then when you get ingame you abandon the ram because it's much faster to have some infantry or dogs chew through the gate long before the battering ram would lumber over.

And the defensive towers that can snipe all of your lords and heroes that have no real counterplay other than hiding in the corner and wasting all of your artillery ammunition. You should have to build those as part of the garrison upgrades on cities for how much damage they can do to an army at zero cost to the defender, worse is that destroying them without being hit still diminishes your balance of power for the ammo used and doesn't even open a hole in the wall

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I feel bad when I load into a beautiful siege or settlement battle and I hate the map immediately because of all the bugs/pathfinding/LoS issue.

Just bring back the WH2 maps, they were more fun when it was a small part of the wall as the engine just simply doesn’t work in sieges. It’s wild that they keep attempting fixes when the engine just doesn’t work for what they want it to do.

Just stop and take the “L” on sieges.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

The Door Frame posted:

And the defensive towers that can snipe all of your lords and heroes that have no real counterplay other than hiding in the corner and wasting all of your artillery ammunition. You should have to build those as part of the garrison upgrades on cities for how much damage they can do to an army at zero cost to the defender, worse is that destroying them without being hit still diminishes your balance of power for the ammo used and doesn't even open a hole in the wall

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2853637689

One of my few forever mods. It bugs me to no end that the game has you setup sieges in range of enemy fire. They really need to come up with a thesis on sieging and develop around it instead of chasing one issue at a time. They just make zero sense.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like long tower ranges, it means you need to immediately attack, rather than you lobbing rocks at towers without a hint of danger and your deployment not mattering at all

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
I never really see defensive towers doing meaningful damage, whether I'm on the attacking side or the defensive side. maybe they'll knock like 10% strength off one unit

If the map allows, I'll usually hide most of my troops behind a bump or rise in the terrain (it doesn't need to be very high to block LoS at a distance)

If I sieged long enough to build a siege tower, I'll send it ahead to soak up fire since the AI tends to preferentially target them. Otherwise I'll just move everything forward to get through the gate and walls as soon as possible. Once I'm past the walls, the AI will pull their troops off the walls to try to defend the gate area, and the towers will stop firing when there's no more enemies on the walls.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Vizuyos posted:

I never really see defensive towers doing meaningful damage, whether I'm on the attacking side or the defensive side. maybe they'll knock like 10% strength off one unit

If the map allows, I'll usually hide most of my troops behind a bump or rise in the terrain (it doesn't need to be very high to block LoS at a distance)

If I sieged long enough to build a siege tower, I'll send it ahead to soak up fire since the AI tends to preferentially target them. Otherwise I'll just move everything forward to get through the gate and walls as soon as possible. Once I'm past the walls, the AI will pull their troops off the walls to try to defend the gate area, and the towers will stop firing when there's no more enemies on the walls.

It depends on the race, some of the towers are insanely good and their absurd range means the AI starts deleting your ranged assets or artillery immediately.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Screwy siege mechanics was key for me weathering the Ultimate Crisis, when a badly outnumbered army defending a dwarven underground fortress won due to the massive enemy reinforcement army bugging out and refusing to advance on the walls at all, they just milled around at maximum tower range and slowly got whittled down. Honestly, I'll take it!

Edit: actually, I wonder if the ladders were to blame? The first enemy army managed to put up ladders on the far side of the fortress before getting wiped out, and due to the design of the underground map there was no way for the reinforcement army to path to those ladders. That shouldn't have been a problem, just raise ladders on the wall they're facing instead, but it did create issues for my army coming back from outside the walls who insisted on using those ladders instead of going through the gate.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 13, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Lord Packinham posted:

the WH2 maps, they were more fun

Ok the 3 maps aren’t great but what

What the gently caress

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

soviet elsa posted:

Ok the 3 maps aren’t great but what

What the gently caress

2’s aren’t great but they weren’t a nonstop micro fest like the current ones are because your archers or gunners are walking into melee or getting the unit spread out entirely around a building or being perpetually stuck in melee.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Just started a Skrolk campaign in IE for nostalgia's sake and drat this poo poo is hard as gently caress. Your only good units are 2x catapults and you get absolutely no super special landmark for early recruitment shenanigans. Of course the maps are filled with forests so the catapults struggle even when they have good targets. Your starting enemy has 4 settlements and their capital has actually insane garrison so you NEED a second army to even have a chance to take them out. Then if one of the Lizard LLs you start right next to declare war on you in the first 10 turns (they will) they are gonna gently caress up any of your armies 1v1 and honestly have a good chance 1v2 as well with how bad clanrats and skavenslave slingers are. Just had Tehenhauin declare on me T8 and he has 1.5 stacks of red crested skinks with Terradon and Salamander support already.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah I cannot stand seige battles now, both as attacker and defender. They weren't great before but imo they just added more complications.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Vizuyos posted:

There are some factions who get extremely powerful towers that can kill a quarter of a unit with a single good shot, like Skaven. It's extremely nasty lol

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
these new kislevite warriors are a great low tier addition but do armored kossars still beat them in terms of meat shield effectiveness? im tempted to run a frontline of greatweapon kossars if i really want that AP damage against chaos warriors or whatever

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Were sieges back in Medieval 2 so bad? My memory is of them being fun, but that was also like 18 years ago and I was young and dumb.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

FeculentWizardTits posted:

Were sieges back in Medieval 2 so bad? My memory is of them being fun, but that was also like 18 years ago and I was young and dumb.

they absolutely were, no fooling. the only thing med 2 garrisons and other games of that era had against modern sieges is that at least the ai would sally out of the gates if they were just getting shot the gently caress up from outside the walls, bypassing the player needing to get in and finish them off.

and also the boiling oil they added in the kingdoms expansion, which simplified defensive sieges to a hilarious degree

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I remember playing Medieval 2 and fighting a desperate defense in depth, eventually retreating to the central keep with a few battered units for a last bloody stand, and then the pathfinding AI bugged out, the attackers refused to move, and I won the battle by putting it on fast forward for ten minutes

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The only total war sieges that felt decent to me were Shogun 2 which imo was the peak of the historical titles despite the nostalgia surrounding Medieval 2

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

toasterwarrior posted:

these new kislevite warriors are a great low tier addition but do armored kossars still beat them in terms of meat shield effectiveness? im tempted to run a frontline of greatweapon kossars if i really want that AP damage against chaos warriors or whatever

i mean, the regular armoured kossars have shields so that's an advantage over the kislevite warriors. i'd probably say replace them as you get better recruitment buildings and cash to support the higher upkeep, but you can keep a couple on your flanks to absorb cavalry charges.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

The only total war sieges that felt decent to me were Shogun 2 which imo was the peak of the historical titles despite the nostalgia surrounding Medieval 2

Shogun 2 sieges were incredible in theory and even sometimes in practice; the AI sucked at them but they've always sucked at sieges so idk. Storming Kyoto was always super fun though, and also I liked that siege timers were short enough they actually mattered on occasion

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
a lot of what made shogun 2 sieges work was the layout of japanese castles being steppe-like, and units being able to just cut past the ladder bullshit by climbing the loving walls directly

Ardent Communist posted:

i mean, the regular armoured kossars have shields so that's an advantage over the kislevite warriors. i'd probably say replace them as you get better recruitment buildings and cash to support the higher upkeep, but you can keep a couple on your flanks to absorb cavalry charges.

ty, im gonna switch out to them i guess.

also as a follow up, akshina ambushers are basically dedicated shooters at this point, i assume? their shooting stats are kinda legit tbh, a good pick in case i cant afford ice guard or something

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

FOTS is the best sieges have ever been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
FOTS was the beginning of the TW battlefield calldown, and man, nothing like smashing a garrison by summoning offmap artillery to destroy them with the full loving might of the industrial revolution