Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

facialimpediment posted:

strategem called STEEL RAIN that's just a kamikaze pilot yelling MY LIFE FOR DEMOCRACY as he flies between the legs and crashes into a tree, doing no damage

Tell ya one thing for sure. Never loving allowed to call in an exosuit. EVER. Those things would last all of 2 seconds in his hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jeez bad start today. First match and game goes nuts, letting two players enter in the same mech, and then it seems we were stuck and unable to move. It seemed some server issue and we were kinda disconnected from the other players, I believe.
Second game and a level 50 player (in a mech) starts complaining by voice chat because we were too slow in closing holes (I actually was able to do it 5 seconds later), and starts TK'ing people. Not by accident.
Third game and the loadout ui goes crazy i cannot select my stratagems, when I click it swaps to the equipment panel.
Fourth game and I use quick join, it joins me to a lobby with a level 1 player??, but 10 seconds later I'm kicked.

At least the fifth game was fine.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

https://youtu.be/WeCfod1XT7E?si=0D8RtmaI9HtjUZ_h

I'm surprised that the game is still super turbo popular enough to have queues

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sindai posted:

Someone did a lot of interesting research on what influences how frequently patrols spawn:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1bdudf3/lets_talk_about_patrols_an_in_depth_analysis_of/

Notably, both loading screen tips about it seem to be lies: mission time has no influence, and destroying outposts slightly increases global spawn rate, but greatly reduces spawn rate near where the outpost was.

Completing all primary objectives massively increases it, and being near the evac point (whether it's possible to evac or not) also massively increases it. Using a reinforce point sometimes massively increases it, but the effect seems very random.

This is some interesting stuff. So I guess the number of players in game does make some sort of difference, and also splitting up your team increases the number of spawns.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
had a fun lvl 7 run of missions with the same pubbie group, the TCS map was a rough start and then we all started coordinating our emplacements and turrets, smooth sailing after that. then it was just efficient helldivering murder on the next two mission sets

it is not ours to wonder why
it is ours to helldive or die

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Huh, just had to fail a campaign because we did the first mission and then... there were no more missions? Just no more mission icons in the campaign area. That's interesting.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Sindai posted:

Someone did a lot of interesting research on what influences how frequently patrols spawn:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1bdudf3/lets_talk_about_patrols_an_in_depth_analysis_of/

Notably, both loading screen tips about it seem to be lies: mission time has no influence, and destroying outposts slightly increases global spawn rate, but greatly reduces spawn rate near where the outpost was.

Completing all primary objectives massively increases it, and being near the evac point (whether it's possible to evac or not) also massively increases it. Using a reinforce point sometimes massively increases it, but the effect seems very random.

The biggest and funniest takeaway of this for me is that calling in player reinforcements after a death shoves a random bunch of bug points into the Spawner Bucket, which might help to explain somewhat the simultaneous existence of "Helldive is too easy"/"Helldive is impossible" opinions.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Quicksilver6 posted:

This game has surprising amounts of realism in some respects. I’m still pleasantly amazed it uses ammo measured by magazine (AS GOD AND DEMOCRACY INTENDED) rather than the puerile “unlimited mags as long as you have spare bullets” that even the Ghost Recon games use now , to my consternation.

I like to think that my character is a master of planning and keeps a large collection of partially-filled magazines so every time I reload after firing three bullets, it's because I knew I would want a reload right now and only put three bullets in the mag.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sindai posted:

Bolded is very unsurprising but nice to see explained semi-concretely. Enemy spawns often seem quite relentless once primary objectives are done.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Bugs feel perfect and fun after the patch but bots just feel a little too BS sometimes. Maybe it's because the only bot planet people are active on is a foggy gross shithole, but getting randomly 1-shot by rockets and cannons out of the mist gets really old. It'd be one thing if the fog ruined their vision and aim too like smoke, but as it is you can't see anything half the time while they still have pinpoint accuracy with rockets and a normal detection range.

Oh well, right back to bugs after the daily

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Where is my “summon a squad of NPC idiots” stratagem, I want to summon a squad of morons to back me up while I heroically call in an anti-personnel minefield and hide in a corner

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's called quickplay.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Realtalk. I have not actually played the new update since I got distracted being bad at Elden Ring (Hello, bird farm).

Cranking up helldivers today also caused a blue screen "oops something has gone wrong" reboot while the anticheat was loading up :stare:

At least the second attempt, only seems to have the Z and C "personal orders and effects" menu buttons greyed out (I wish you could scroll down on ESC menu, I THINK my second personal order aside from mines is charger kills?) But YEESH. My paranoia around lowest bidder anticheats is already bad enough as it is.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

jokes posted:

Where is my “summon a squad of NPC idiots” stratagem, I want to summon a squad of morons to back me up while I heroically call in an anti-personnel minefield and hide in a corner

coming in a later update

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

turn off the TV posted:

coming in a later update

They fuckin better

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

jokes posted:

I hope when we get it its just rookie SEAF dorks with liberators and double barrels.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Dyz posted:

Forget flamethrower dog, give me smoke launcher dog for a different kind of freedom.

The snoop dog

Quicksilver6 posted:

This game has surprising amounts of realism in some respects. I’m still pleasantly amazed it uses ammo measured by magazine (AS GOD AND DEMOCRACY INTENDED) rather than the puerile “unlimited mags as long as you have spare bullets” that even the Ghost Recon games use now , to my consternation.

The devs being swedes all have military experience via conscription.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Does anyone else on PC have the Friend Requests category just straight up missing? I don't know if it's ever worked but I simply don't have it there after confirming a request has been sent to me.

I have to turn cross play on to see it.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Hakarne posted:

Bugs feel perfect and fun after the patch but bots just feel a little too BS sometimes. Maybe it's because the only bot planet people are active on is a foggy gross shithole, but getting randomly 1-shot by rockets and cannons out of the mist gets really old. It'd be one thing if the fog ruined their vision and aim too like smoke, but as it is you can't see anything half the time while they still have pinpoint accuracy with rockets and a normal detection range.

Oh well, right back to bugs after the daily

I view like that environmental effects affecting robot detection range/accuracy is the only change to bots that I would like to see. Bots feel pretty good to me, by which I mean on 7+ they're very hectic and a lot of matches end up being a barely survive sort of situation. A small group of bots is pretty easily dealt with, you can airstrike or otherwise use a stratagem to take them out super quickly, a single devastator can be staggered into oblivion or one/two shot somewhat easily, walkers are incredibly easy to deal with solo but they're also really good at staying on top of you if you're running and scrambling, catching a tank or turret without any support makes them pretty easy to take out solo and much easier with any coordinated effort but are hyper deadly from range, hulks are scary but if you have the space you can simply circle strafe them and take them out with primaries, etc. But in any large group their range and variety means they're always on top of you and any single unit simply must be dealt with asap or you're toast, it really makes their awkward clumsy terminator style go from bumbling to deadly real fuckin fast. It makes for a lot of fun situations where you're either decimating everything in front of you or you have to scramble to get objectives done and barely survive and extract with very little in between.

Basically I like that they play radically different than bugs and can't wait for the Illuminate to make it into the game in the hope that they also play radically different than both factions we have now.

E: someone screwed up my ancient user icon and I don't even care, gang tag rules

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Mode 7 posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: HELLDIVERS 2 THREAD GANG TAGS :siren: :siren: :siren:

If you want this gangtag:

Notes/Rules:

1) Quote this post within the next 24 hours or so, cutoff time will be 14/03/24 9am UTC (you can of course buy the gang tag for yourself at any point, this is just for the freebies)

2) If you already have the max amount of gang tags (3) please tell me which one to remove to make room in your quote post.

3) Desire for this gang tag was way higher than I expected. If your only post in this thread is asking for the gang tag I am probably not going to queue one for free, apologies. I queue these up but admins still have to sign off on em and we're apparently discouraged from handing them out like candy :v:

I’d love this as a gang tag replacement if they are still out there it looks great!

I love that you can find super credits in the game. I’m level 35 or so and I have 1800 super credits without ever paying for them. Going to buy the new war bond once it comes out the current one doesn’t speak to me too much.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You should buy the current premium war bond too it gives you 300 SC (unlocked with medals)

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

FunkyFjord posted:

I view like that environmental effects affecting robot detection range/accuracy is the only change to bots that I would like to see. Bots feel pretty good to me, by which I mean on 7+ they're very hectic and a lot of matches end up being a barely survive sort of situation. A small group of bots is pretty easily dealt with, you can airstrike or otherwise use a stratagem to take them out super quickly, a single devastator can be staggered into oblivion or one/two shot somewhat easily, walkers are incredibly easy to deal with solo but they're also really good at staying on top of you if you're running and scrambling, catching a tank or turret without any support makes them pretty easy to take out solo and much easier with any coordinated effort but are hyper deadly from range, hulks are scary but if you have the space you can simply circle strafe them and take them out with primaries, etc. But in any large group their range and variety means they're always on top of you and any single unit simply must be dealt with asap or you're toast, it really makes their awkward clumsy terminator style go from bumbling to deadly real fuckin fast. It makes for a lot of fun situations where you're either decimating everything in front of you or you have to scramble to get objectives done and barely survive and extract with very little in between.

Basically I like that they play radically different than bugs and can't wait for the Illuminate to make it into the game in the hope that they also play radically different than both factions we have now.

E: someone screwed up my ancient user icon and I don't even care, gang tag rules

I like the bots better solo too, it's easier to have a fun jack-of-all-trades load out for them because they both have less enemies where you have to break through heavy armor with no other choice and less hordes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why is armor pen not a 1-10 bar stat like damage, capacity, recoil, & fire rate

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Hwurmp posted:

it is but it's not shown

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

LazyMaybe posted:

Bolded is very unsurprising but nice to see explained semi-concretely. Enemy spawns often seem quite relentless once primary objectives are done.

interesting, but it makes sense in simulating what happens if a commando unit starts making a lot of noise. seems like the biggest takeaway is run away from a big fight that is spiraling, and maybe hold off on finishing an objective if things are sketchy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mode 7 posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: HELLDIVERS 2 THREAD GANG TAGS :siren: :siren: :siren:

If you want this gangtag:

Notes/Rules:

1) Quote this post within the next 24 hours or so, cutoff time will be 14/03/24 9am UTC (you can of course buy the gang tag for yourself at any point, this is just for the freebies)

2) If you already have the max amount of gang tags (3) please tell me which one to remove to make room in your quote post.

3) Desire for this gang tag was way higher than I expected. If your only post in this thread is asking for the gang tag I am probably not going to queue one for free, apologies. I queue these up but admins still have to sign off on em and we're apparently discouraged from handing them out like candy :v:

If I did not ask to rock this gang tag I would expect the democracy officer to summarily execute me, same as I would any of my men in the same situation.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Hwurmp posted:

It effectively is, they just hide the bar from you. The CEO I think said there are about 50 stats overall for each gun, but they massively simplified the gun stats menu because they felt the old one was too confusing I guess.

How does one just buy a gang tag? I was thinking I'd just pay for this one since I'm overdue for an avatar change anyway, but I might be too dumb to figure it out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

IMO if you abandon a mech without destroying it you should be penalized for allowing the enemies of democracy to capture it [yes this includes the bugs]

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Bandire posted:

It effectively is, they just hide the bar from you. The CEO I think said there are about 50 stats overall for each gun, but they massively simplified the gun stats menu because they felt the old one was too confusing I guess.

How does one just buy a gang tag? I was thinking I'd just pay for this one since I'm overdue for an avatar change anyway, but I might be too dumb to figure it out.

when you change your avatar you can also change your gangtag. so its $5

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

WoodrowSkillson posted:

interesting, but it makes sense in simulating what happens if a commando unit starts making a lot of noise. seems like the biggest takeaway is run away from a big fight that is spiraling, and maybe hold off on finishing an objective if things are sketchy.

Also spend as little time fighting on top of objectives as possible. The longer you’re taking to clear out a medium/large hive the more you’re increasing the patrol spawn rate, which leads to a cyclical problem. If you’re getting bogged down it seems like the correct play is to almost always kite away from the objective until you have gotten stuff under control - this will both bait new patrols away from where you need to eventually go as well as mitigate the “heat” buildup from being near a POI.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 13, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bandire posted:

idk if this is still true but when i did mine i just threw [img] tags into my avatar text

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ran into a funky bug earlier today. Moving the mouse too far or in a wrong direction just caused my view to shoot up/down and spin like mad. Didn't have a controller plugged in or anything, and outside of the game the mouse behaved as normal.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...c5d1e427da68b2&

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

causticBeet posted:

Also spend as little time fighting on top of objectives as possible. The longer you’re taking to clear out a medium/large hive the more you’re increasing the patrol spawn rate, which leads to a cyclical problem.
does the game still spawn patrols after all outposts are destroyed?

actually, what does destroying outposts really do, mechanically?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Ciaphas posted:

does the game still spawn patrols after all outposts are destroyed?

actually, what does destroying outposts really do, mechanically?

According to the testing destroying outposts increases the rate of patrols.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Jerkface posted:

There are 3 specific reload related bugs/interactions that have been driving me crazy:

1. As above, reload and go through the full animation but then you fire 1 shot and have to reload again. I don't know if this desync issue with the host but it happens semi-frequently.
2. Reloading and going through the entire animation but something interrupts it without on screen feedback and the gun remains unloaded, I end up having to hit reload again and usually my helldiver slams the charging handle/slide/whatever so clearly something interrupted the final bit. This happens a lot, and sometimes its from things like getting ragdolled/accidentally picking something up/interacting with an object, but I swear to god half the time I am just running around not doing anything and it happens
3. Interrupting a reload ON PURPOSE and then having to hit reload twice to get the gun reloaded. This happens: Press Reload -> oh poo poo bugs pull out secondary hose em down -> get primary/support back out -> hit reload -> helldiver "readies" gun but doesn't actually reload -> JESUS CHRIST RELOAD THE GUN SLAM RELOAD AGAIN -> helldiver begins reload animation where it left off finally

This and hitting stim and my helldiver stabbing himself but not actually stimming are my biggest pet peeves, but I figure its probably related to anytime I do play with buddies they're on the east coast and im on the west so its latency/desync related but I dunno...

I've definitely seen #1 a lot while solo, and I think 2 and 3 as well, so I don't think it's a latency thing. I've also a couple times had a reload interrupted in a way that makes it just refuse to reload again no matter how much I mash the button until I swap to another weapon and back. Another thing that generally drives me nuts even though it's not a bug is my guy insisting on climbing onto everything while I'm running around, which of course interrupts reloading. Like yeah dude, smart idea to clamber onto that barrel and then up on top of that chain link fence while I'm trying to sprint away from rocket devastators, that's definitely what I wanted to do.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jerkface posted:

wait, increases??? :psyduck:

(e) ah forgot to scroll up. seems i have some reading to do

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyone run into the fliers yet?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Jerkface posted:

Which kind of makes sense if you think about it from both a lore and gameplay perspective. If you’re in the mission area loving poo poo up, the enemy would view you as more of a threat. It makes sense to respond more aggressively to the group of dudes hanging out and killing barracks. It would also be boring if by the time you cleared out a few outposts the number of spawns was drastically reduced and you just kinda ran through the rest of the map.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i guess then my question is, why destroy them at all? the rewards aren't much to cheer about IIRC, right (haven't played in a few days)?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

wait, increases??? :psyduck:

After you destroy enough of them it starts to increase. But destroying a particular outpost also removes the "heat map" of patrol spawn likelihood in its vicinity. So if it's an area you need to pass through it helps to remove the outpost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Hwurmp posted:

It is

For grenades