Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I care so very much about Ukraine

A bicameral group of Democrats pleaded to House Speaker Mike Johnson to put the Senate’s foreign aid bill, which includes Ukraine aid, to a floor vote, emphasizing the war-torn country desperately needs help to fend off the Russian invasion, telling Johnson to "lead, follow or get out of the way."

Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) said TikTok’s China-based parent company ByteDance should be forced to sell the app but argued that the potential for a ban under current legislation is too “extreme.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

SixteenShells posted:

lmao they want $5k in civil penalties for every single user inside the maritime and land borders of the USA who accessed, maintained, or updated the tiktok app

Biden: gets rid of student loan debt
Also Biden: fines zoomers $1 million each for using silly video apps

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

does china even theoretically have penalties like for people who use vpns

i'm sure there's laws on the books for it but I imagine it's the kind of law they only bust out when they already wanted to slap someone down

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Jen heir rick posted:

poo poo sucks yo.

I just try to stay in the moment and not think about what the future holds

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

lol that glenns most technically correct possible counterargument to this is that edward snowden is rich so hes obviously not referring to anything in his own personal experience

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Some Guy TT posted:

lol that glenns most technically correct possible counterargument to this is that edward snowden is rich so hes obviously not referring to anything in his own personal experience

Tbf, this is exactly the argument needed to be made when dealing with libs in their gated community castles.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

comedyblissoption posted:

trump is the free speech anti-war candidate

lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Asproigerosis posted:

Tbf, this is exactly the argument needed to be made when dealing with libs in their gated community castles.

Would you say then, that Glenn is indeed, right?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Get wills rear end, glenn

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
the economy looks great from my posting battlestation /mortgage-free villa, but voters are too stupid (and smelly) to appreciate it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Very much like the word "terrorist", which has come to mean "whichever group the state doesn't like".

Always has been.

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

Uncle Wemus posted:

A bicameral group of Democrats pleaded to House Speaker Mike Johnson to put the Senate’s foreign aid bill, which includes Ukraine aid, to a floor vote [...]

Just aid for Ukraine guys, nothing else to see here! Everybody agrees we need to help Ukraine. What, are you pro-Russia or something?

quote:

By the numbers: The bill includes $47.7 billion in aid to Ukraine, $10.4 billion for Israel and $4.9 billion for U.S. allies in the Indo-Pacific to combat China.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

docbeard posted:

oh poo poo I just realized this is probably going to make (TenCent-owned) Path of Exile illegal or at least I don't really understand why it wouldn't

If China retaliates against a TikTok ban with sanctions of their own it's going to tear gaming apart, seriously.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Tencent save us

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

Asproigerosis posted:

Tencent save us

tencent is next after bytedance

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, they do see it as transactional, but in the same way that taking Holy Communion and receiving forgiven for your sins is a transaction. That exact way.

Yeah. Atonement.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Semisomnum posted:

tencent is next after bytedance

bytedance is a funny name. I think of a dancing 8, like that dancing R.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

looking forward to china's response

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Lol

Lmao

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

HallelujahLee posted:

president xi please send chendu j-20 mighty dragon my country yearns for short videos

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

HallelujahLee posted:

chinese brain lasers

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Eimi posted:

president xi please send chendu j-20 mighty dragon my country yearns for short videos

mr xi its time to ban games

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Eimi posted:

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

mawarannahr posted:

bytedance is a funny name. I think of a dancing 8, like that dancing R.

tencent sounds like 10/7 which is why president Joe Biden has declared them a threat to national security

Backdoor Mayor
May 14, 2007

I got a package for your mother...
Lmao, dawning realization. tencent owns a huge stake in Epic Games.

And the source code bit, goodbye to all the games and software that ever contracted with any programmer in China for a 10 lines of code.

Biden really did ban Fortnite.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

err posted:

Uber and Lyft sent push notifications to try to defeat Prop 22 in California.

No problems with that ofc.

gradenko_2000 posted:

He literally says that's fine because Uber is an American company

But if the American company allows for criticism of the american government, its bad again, right? But only specific governments. the bad government. Our Government is Good, so it doesnt warrant any criticism.

This is me trying to be snarky but halfway through I just got so pissed off at the constant contradictory loops. Massive, pervasive american companies with impenetrable bureaucracies are good. They should be the only ones that draw the boundaries of our lives! But if a state does it, its bad. Unless its our state, but not directly! The best kind of government is a big blue one that lets big private companies do whatever they want. Anything else is literally fascism. "Which we would never do, because that is bad. And we only do good." Facebook was bad, but then it became good when it was decided that actually it was the russians that abused poor facebook...?????????

They insist theyre not republicans, theyre not even right wing, at all. So left in fact. But not too left, thats just psycho. The Big Blue Dream is apparently a quirky July 4th rooftop party held every day, while a bloated police apparatus beats the poo poo out of the critics and illegals on the ground floor. This is Being Left.

These miserable fucks!!

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023
These motherfuckers will fall in and out of love with the police the FBI et al at a moments notice, all based on who their target is. Slimy fucks.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

gradenko_2000 posted:

If China retaliates against a TikTok ban with sanctions of their own it's going to tear gaming apart, seriously.

Oh no

Not that

Won’t someone think of the gamers

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Tsitsikovas posted:

These motherfuckers will fall in and out of love with the police the FBI et al at a moments notice, all based on who their target is. Slimy fucks.

Yeah, it's all getting more blatant and hypocritical as things begin to accelerate.

These same people say Facebook was the driving force for Russian propaganda during the 2016 election, but they are never punished or forced to be sold of or whatever. Instead they get government integration by CIA propagandists:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1685818608205631489

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

comedyblissoption posted:

joe biden bans fortnite

The tune to Buddy Holly is heard…

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I want to see a Harper's Index style list of things that actual historical fascist governments did that were more beneficial / less brutal than the current dem agenda

gauntanamo bae
Mar 11, 2024
balkanize the internet, lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Saraiguma posted:

because Amazon already has 0 quality control and is half drop shipped counterfeit garbage anyways so why pay Amazon premiums

Remember when it turned out that a lot of the N95 masks sold on Amazon were fakes that didn’t work? And then nothing happened?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

HallelujahLee posted:

They're already trying to do a TikTok to Tesla

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

err posted:

Yeah, it's all getting more blatant and hypocritical as things begin to accelerate.

These same people say Facebook was the driving force for Russian propaganda during the 2016 election, but they are never punished or forced to be sold of or whatever. Instead they get government integration by CIA propagandists:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1685818608205631489

Youtube and Facebook and Twitter were real bad guys during the first half of trump's presidency too, because they were responsible for the spread of The Alt-Right, remember. Tiktok if anything was the future because it was the home of the twee quirky new-snarky liberal.

But now thats evil and chinese, meanwhile Twitter suddenly is a okay again. I guess the big move to bluesky was the wet fart everyone knew it would be. Its all just such a loving joke.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

My phone auto corrects TikTok to Tim Tim for some some reason

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Are any of you old enough to remember the 1994 crime bill? The deregulation that occurred under Clinton?

Was that stuff even covered in the news? Were people even upset at the Dems?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

searching TikTok for "hang in there president Xi, you're doing a great job :)" over and over just so he knows he's got stateside fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've been thinking of that ancient Vulcan proverb lately. "Only Nixon could go to China".