Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Preechr posted:

What? SAD will enable both FAW1 and CSV1 on pets.

I always forget that because whenever you see someone using it, it's all about the cannons. I don't have the 12th bundle anyway so its a moot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Briefly poked around with the Pahvo set because eh I had some upgrades not doing anything. Observations:
  • The omni-beam works with all the standard energy weapon firing modes (CSV/CRF/BO/FAW) kind of like the old dyson proton cannon. Of course nothing on the item or set actually says this anywhere in-game but at least it's not a completely incomprehensible addition to a set with a cannon-focused console.
  • The damage from the beam is... alright? With just the +69% (nice) proton damage from the console it seems to be equivalent to or slightly better than a turret with a full proper energy-type boosting suite of tac consoles. It actually might be useful to equip unlike some of the other recent sets with gimmick weapons (like the atrocious breen cryo beam).
  • The torpedo is incredibly mediocre. Standard firing modes from spread and HYT, no surprise slow-moving targetable stuff or secret giant bio-molecular or delphic style HYT nuke. Not sure if the resonance AOC proc does anything meaningful even if it's guaranteed, but knowing Cryptic it's probably safe to assume "no". It is at least another [Arc]/180-degree one to throw onto the pile if you care about that sort of thing.
  • I'm not sure how useful the reduced cooldown for cannon skills on the console is in practice considering you can keep one up indefinitely with the appropriate traits as is. Firing cycle haste is a pretty rare thing to see but I don't have the interest or knowledge to math out how it compares to vulnerability locators or the lorca console though. :effort:
You know how the set 3pc is supposed to reduce the cooldown on the 2pc beam clicky? It's bugged, and actually cuts the cooldown for all console/set clickies in half. The bugs been around since the event started, but Cryptic hasn't gotten around to fixing it yet.

The Ahwahnee's trait has a similar bug, and it's also still unfixed.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Preechr posted:

What? SAD will enable both FAW1 and CSV1 on pets.

I won't claim to understand the mechanics behind it, but pets with pulse cannons get way more benefit out of SAD than pets with beams. Maybe that's what they were thinking of.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

revtoiletduck posted:

I won't claim to understand the mechanics behind it, but pets with pulse cannons get way more benefit out of SAD than pets with beams. Maybe that's what they were thinking of.

Yeah, even without SAD, the To'duj fighters are one of the best pets and SAD takes them to another level.

I just don't like CSV in general because it slows things to a crawl in ways other firing modes don't.

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

Lifetime subscription sale is up, 50% off.

I'm almost tempted, but I'm hearing a lot of noise about the game essentially being put on maintenance mode, so I'm unsure here.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Logic Probed posted:

Lifetime subscription sale is up, 50% off.

I'm almost tempted, but I'm hearing a lot of noise about the game essentially being put on maintenance mode, so I'm unsure here.

I wouldn't go for it. It takes 2.5 years to pay off in terms of Zen. Most of the developers that have been really good for the game are leaving since the transition to DECA Games, including the new-ish system designer who was doing an amazing job. Honestly if DECA didn't insist these people work German hours, they'd probably stick around.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Lifetime only makes sense if you intend to make a bunch of alts because of the account wide stuff. The zen over time thing should never be a consideration because who knows what anyone will be doing in 2-3 years for their personal entertainment.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Logic Probed posted:

Sort of, but not really? Maintenance mode generally means no new updates/patches, the company just does the bare minimum to keep the game running. DECA doesn't do that in their other games, I don't see why they'd change just for STO. I think that long-term we'll end up in roughly the same place we are now - events running almost constantly, 3 new story missions a year, a handful of z-store and lockbox ships each year, etc.

But it might be painful getting to that point, since they seem dead-set on forcing all the existing employees out. Getting a new team to take over an existing codebase is always painful, even when it's a good, well-documented one.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

g0del posted:

Sort of, but not really? Maintenance mode generally means no new updates/patches, the company just does the bare minimum to keep the game running. DECA doesn't do that in their other games, I don't see why they'd change just for STO. I think that long-term we'll end up in roughly the same place we are now - events running almost constantly, 3 new story missions a year, a handful of z-store and lockbox ships each year, etc.

But it might be painful getting to that point, since they seem dead-set on forcing all the existing employees out. Getting a new team to take over an existing codebase is always painful, even when it's a good, well-documented one.

The new CEO of Cryptic showed up on reddit specifically to address some of the worries people are having. It seems DECA is interested in continuing to produce new content. They're planning to star on a stream later this month, so we'll probably get more details of what's coming up then.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So with this patch today anyone else noticing any what would be described as un-documented changes ? 3 daily things for me today were Kinetic damage (space), Antiproton damage (space) and kill 30 Terran ships. Did all 3 in one run of the space Pahvo daily and when I opened my inventory window all 3 of the endeavor boxes had a little "NEW!" banner on their icons that I've never seen before. The patch that downloaded was something like 1.1gb.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Patch notes on UI stuff was just "Added a variety of minor UI optimizations to improve performance" but that icon is definitely new. And kind of nice considering anyone who's been playing over a decade a while probably has a laughably massive inventory full of crap.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The server performance also seems a lot more stable and less rubber band-y, makes me wonder if they'd been working on a lot of netcode upgrades under the hood.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Red alert starting next week for the usual rewards.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

Patch notes on UI stuff was just "Added a variety of minor UI optimizations to improve performance" but that icon is definitely new. And kind of nice considering anyone who's been playing over a decade a while probably has a laughably massive inventory full of crap.
Note that the "new" tag goes away as soon as your mouse goes over the item - even a quick swipe will clear it, you don't have to wait for the hover text to pop up. But don't worry, for a handful of people on reddit this is the worst change ever and anyone who likes it obviously doesn't know how to handle their inventory.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Doing the event missions after you're done the 14 or whatever progression days for the dil doesn't add to the yearly progression meter does it? I have never thought to ask or check before.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

rizzen posted:

Doing the event missions after you're done the 14 or whatever progression days for the dil doesn't add to the yearly progression meter does it? I have never thought to ask or check before.

It does add to the yearly meter!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yes it does, meaning that if you don't miss anything and all events are 22 days, you can score 1100 points per event and wrap this year up in the fourth event, even if you miss few days.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Technically you can get some more by doing the event every 20 hours with an alarm clock like an Eve Online sicko but I don’t think it’ll provide much of a difference.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Man I picked up the Ahwahnee with one of my T6 coupons, and even the base pets on that thing are insanely powerful debuffers.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

Technically you can get some more by doing the event every 20 hours with an alarm clock like an Eve Online sicko but I don’t think it’ll provide much of a difference.
21 day event, running every 20 hours, you can hit 25 dailies if you no-life it. With the double you can get the day you earn the event reward, that's 1300 points per event, meaning you could finish the meta event 6 days into the 4th event.

People who buy it out on the first day and also run it each day after buying it out will finish the first day of the 3rd event.

Just doing it every single day of each event and you'll finish the meta event on the last day of the 4th event.

There's really not much point in no-lifing it or buying it out early unless you know you'll be missing a bunch of days for other reasons. There's plenty of time to get the meta reward just by doing the event daily.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Part 2 of the event campaign has been announced. Looks like the Vault is being updated to work a bit faster, and hopefuly they've fixed the issue in the Azure Nebula where sometimes not enough points worth of ships spawn in.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Azure Nebula is currently 100% AFKable (ie: just start a private and it eventually autocompletes). Which is admittedly handy for event queues.

I guess we'll have to see if the updates they mention will change this.

Also:

quote:

you'll now be assisted by the I.R.W. Leahval—the flagship of the Romulan Republic.

The Rom Republic Flagship is the RRW Lleiset. The IRW Leahval is Sela's flagship, that was lost after the Iconians took it into subspace when they captured her

Tigey fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 8, 2024

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Tigey posted:

Azure Nebula is currently 100% AFKable (ie: just start a private and it eventually autocompletes). Which is admittedly handy for event queues.

Also:

The Rom Republic Flagship is the RRW Lleiset. The IRW Leahval is Sela's flagship, that was lost after the Iconians took it into subspace when they captured her

If they're updating it at all, it may well be copy-paste because they did update them previously.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

There's also the matter of Azure Nebula taking place really early into the Romulan arc (since it predates the playable faction) so storywise it might be a valid choice anyway. Even if it's almost certainly due to a lazy cut and paste yes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tigey posted:

Also:

The mission still specifies you are helping the romulan star empire, not the republic.

This is because all the humanoid races are racist against tholians

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hunter Noventa posted:

Part 2 of the event campaign has been announced. Looks like the Vault is being updated to work a bit faster, and hopefuly they've fixed the issue in the Azure Nebula where sometimes not enough points worth of ships spawn in.
They're not updating anything, they just lazily copy/pasted a blog post from 2021 when they did make minor updates to the two TFOs.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

How would this game work for someone who doesn't know jack poo poo about star trek and isn't inclined to watch a single episode or movie ever?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

But why? Are you under the mistaken impression that this game is good?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Mr. Pickles posted:

How would this game work for someone who doesn't know jack poo poo about star trek and isn't inclined to watch a single episode or movie ever?

You will play as a character in funny pajamas that has several other people in funny pajamas that ride in your pew pew spaceship with you and also teleport to planets with you. You will kill millions of things. Occasionally people will talk at you in a very stilted way that makes it clear they’re referencing a specific event in an episode of a TV show that you never watched and that many who did watch won’t remember, and then you’ll kill more things. You’re the good guys.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mr. Pickles posted:

It wouldn't.

The entire thing is a love letter to Star Trek as a franchise, and if you're not invested in that there are dozens of other MMOs you'll probably get more out of.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Mr. Pickles posted:

Probably pretty poorly. The biggest draws are really nostalgia/love of the ST universe, space-barbie/the Cryptic character dress-up, and somewhat unique space combat/big number chasing, in that order.

If you don't already have an unreasonable affection for Star Trek and the characters/settings, there's not a ton to really draw you in. I don't know that any other game has really hit the same balance of easy/fun space combat, but that's not nearly enough of a draw to overcome the frankly annoying ground combat missions and writing that again absolutely depends on already loving the ST story philosophy.

The Cryptic character creator is its own wonderful thing, but so many of the costumes are locked behind story missions or require "actual" money (the cash shop points can be earned indirectly through gameplay) that it's also hard to say it would be a draw unless you liked ST already.

If you stripped all the Star Trek out, STO wouldn't have lasted past 2012, if it even launched.

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
Or trick them into watching lower decks, easily the most accessible trek show, and go from there

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The game has some fun space combat until you decide you want to get good at it and fall down a hole of spending

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'll put my hand up. Originally I never have two shits about any star trek apart from the original series (aka real star trek) and I just treated STO as "strange space mmo, better than 00s era asian mmos". Over the years I picked up on a lot of the star trek lore etc simply by osmosis. It didn't make me a bigger fan or anything but I "get it". Just nod and humor people until they calm down. I have seen bits of the newer stuff but never a complete series or even cared to watch in order.

i.e. I watched season 4 of enterprise first. Then season 3. Never bothered with seasons 1 or 2 because I just didn't care to. Haven't watched any of the newer stuff like STD but I do have season 1 of picard in disc on a shelf from an impulse buy bargain bin. One day I might watch it but I'm not motivated.

Can you enjoy the game without knowing jack or poo poo? Sure. It's basically better champions online.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

The game has some fun space combat until you decide you want to get good at it and fall down a hole of spending

Yeah, the space combat is unlike any other game on the market, and can be very satisfying.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

New Infinity Lockbox Ship is dropping, and it's a shocking choice. Seems to have a solid loadout.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah, the space combat is unlike any other game on the market, and can be very satisfying.

Part of the lure is/was that space part plays like streamlined version of the Starfleet command 2 and 3, looks better, and you can also visit places that aren't places outside space stations.

For a free-to-play game the "must pay real money" aspect is actually really toned down even if the top stuff is lootbox lottery; you can complete all content without ever buying anything, in theory you aren't restricted in any particular way, you don't need to grind for more content, and you don't have to watch commercials at any point. The game even gives you moneybux credits generated from stuff you can obtain for free, when the dill exchange works and you can score older paid-tier content every now and then.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Going from STO to neverwinter back when that launched was a real slap in the face with regards to monetization. In comparison STO really has a gentle touch on the wallet.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
As someone who started playing who had only ever seen Wrath of Khan, the more Star Trek you watch the more you'll hate:

1. People who told you Star Trek is worth watching
2. The people who worked on Star Trek
3. The game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hunter Noventa posted:

New Infinity Lockbox Ship is dropping, and it's a shocking choice. Seems to have a solid loadout.

For those who don't want to click:

Hull Modifier: 0.9
Shield Modifier: 1.3
Fore Weapons: 3
Aft Weapons: 3
Device Slots: 3
Bridge Officer Stations:
Commander Science / Temporal Ops
Ensign Science
Lt Commander Eng / Intel
Lt Tactical
Lt Commander Universal
Consoles: 2 tac 4 eng 5 sci
Base Turn Rate: 11
Impulse Modifier: 0.2
Inertia: 60
+20 Aux Power
Console - Universal - Temporal Anchor
Hangar Bays: 0
Ship Specialization Ability
"Molecular Reconstruction" Ship Mechanic
Secondary Deflector Slot
Subsystem Targeting
Sensor Analysis
Starship Mastery Package (Science Vessel)
Enhanced Particle Generators (+Exotic Damage)
Advanced Shield Systems (+Shield HP)
Enhanced Restorative Circuitry (+Healing)
Reactive Shield Technology (+Shield Regen/Hardness)
Temporal Artifact Scan (Starship Trait)

Console - Universal - Temporal Anchor
Activating this Console anchors the target Foes to their place and time, as well as dealing some Radiation damage via the massive release of chronotions in the area. After a delay, the Foes return to their position at the exact moment of activation and take the Radiation damage again.

Starship Trait - Temporal Artifact Scan
While this trait is slotted, your ship's sensors will scan the area for chroniton radiation coming from a Temporal Artifact housed aboard an enemy starship. Once the Artifact is located, defeating that ship will drop it into space as a pickup. Collecting an Artifact provides a significant bonus to Critical Severity until leaving the map. This effect has a long cooldown, but eventually another Artifact will be located.

Temporal ops science vessel, so guaranteed to be at least fine.