Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

The author of this map seems not to understand the difference between the greater than and less than signs.

50 is the minimum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think that actually would go the other way; since being identified as a true city involves extra politicking, that means that higher up governments will drag their heels on acknowledging that a settlement has gotten big enough that they'd have to reckon with. And sometimes you'll have the reverse where places do extra politicking to get their privileges before they have the right to them, or maintain their old privileges after they've fallen from grace and their population has shifted elsewhere.

Historically though it used to be the reverse. In a premodern era before strong central governments, if you were a peasant on the land you were either somebody’s serf, owing feudal obligations, or you were a freeholder, without obligations but often without any political rights. Medieval and early modern cities actually had far more democratic and representative governments, so cities and city states often had far more developed concepts of citizenship or residency rights or permissions than the countryside, because political structures other than “that one guy runs poo poo” existed in cities and so levels of access to those structures - ranging from the ability to be one of the guys who runs poo poo through able to vote for them through not voting but can’t be asked to leave to allowed to stay, for now, if you pay, but that can change, all had to regulated in cities centuries earlier. Also, more prosaically, cities had walls, and so there had to be ways to control who was getting let inside them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

i say swears online posted:

50 is the minimum

But Lower Mesopotamia and the Hejaz were never part of the Roman Empire for anywhere approaching 50 years. Neither with Germania Antiqua

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

The author of this map seems not to understand the difference between the greater than and less than signs.

Of course they are, why would they not?

I think "approximate" covers both greater than and less than?

And people out there believe that the Roman empire ended with the Western Empire. Just the other day at lunch I had one coworker not know about Carthage and another insisting that the Roman Empire ended in the 400s even after I brought up the Eastern Empire. And I didn't even claim that the Ottoman Empire was Rome or anything. But yeah, I agree that it counts, it's just that a lot of people kinda forget that the fall of Rome the city was not the fall of the entire empire.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

If you want people to think of you as the Roman empire you need to start with making sure you have a Rome

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You don't have to be in Italy to make Italian food, you don't have to be in Rome to rule a Roman empire

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Sparkling Roman empire

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

BonHair posted:

And people out there believe that the Roman empire ended with the Western Empire. Just the other day at lunch I had one coworker not know about Carthage and another insisting that the Roman Empire ended in the 400s even after I brought up the Eastern Empire. And I didn't even claim that the Ottoman Empire was Rome or anything. But yeah, I agree that it counts, it's just that a lot of people kinda forget that the fall of Rome the city was not the fall of the entire empire.

lots of people are wrong about things

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The annoying part is that nobody on earth at the time or even long after disputed that the eastern empire was Rome. Even in the 1300s, Dante calls Justinian a Roman Emperor and includes the East in his quick overview...until 800 anyway.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
hmm, struggling to see the pattern

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
If they add Austria and Italy, it’s a full blockbuster and they win this round.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

TinTower posted:

If they add Austria and Italy, it’s a full blockbuster and they win this round.

there's norway in the north too

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

BonHair posted:

Eh, I mean the eastern empire was pretty different. I see they stopped using Latin as an official language around 600 AD. Sure there wasn’t any conquest and it was a reasonably amicable split / transfer between the two sides (with wars here and there), but to me saying it’s the same continuously would be like saying the British are still top dogs in the world because America is the leading country of the world, and DC is the new London.

I mean that’s a kinda lovely analogy that I know people in this thread can blow holes in, but you get the sentiment. Like no one says the Egyptian empire is continuous from 3200 BC to the present day, and they’re still in the same place, similar ethnically, and a few people still speak Egyptian (Coptic), and some actually spoke it normally up until like 1700 AD.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

drk posted:

hmm, struggling to see the pattern

oh hell yeah

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Saladman posted:

the British are still top dogs in the world because America is the leading country of the world, and DC is the new London.
Many Iranian conspiracy enthusiasts say this.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Saladman posted:

Eh, I mean the eastern empire was pretty different. I see they stopped using Latin as an official language around 600 AD. Sure there wasn’t any conquest and it was a reasonably amicable split / transfer between the two sides (with wars here and there), but to me saying it’s the same continuously would be like saying the British are still top dogs in the world because America is the leading country of the world, and DC is the new London.

I mean that’s a kinda lovely analogy that I know people in this thread can blow holes in, but you get the sentiment. Like no one says the Egyptian empire is continuous from 3200 BC to the present day, and they’re still in the same place, similar ethnically, and a few people still speak Egyptian (Coptic), and some actually spoke it normally up until like 1700 AD.

the roman empire was the same roman empire, but england isn't usa and the modern egyptian republic isn't the ancient kingdom

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
The Roman Empire fell in the 200s.

Then it got back up again.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Saladman posted:

there was a major invasion in the 600s that broke the continuity of egypt and caused some shakeups within the roman empire

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Saladman posted:

The Republic was pretty different from the Empire too (though not as different as modern popular culture would have you believe), that doesn't mean they were different states. The Christian Empire was pretty different from the pagan Empire too, still the same state. The later Empire continues the same organizational principles, the same institutions, the same philosophy, and the same ethnic identities that had existed in the combined Empire for centuries, with no break in between, because they're the same state.

The analogies aren't just kinda lovely, they're nonsense, because nobody in those places is even claiming to be the continuation of the same state. In the American case they are quite loudly stating "we are not the British, we are something else". You'll notice the population of the later empire never does this, for good reason.

BonHair posted:

Those symbols don't mean that though!

And yeah I know a lot of people think that but also that opinion is dumb and bad, and need not be taken seriously.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Approximate is ~

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Approximately greater than fifty, by which of course I mean “strictly less than fifty”.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

NYC is the fifth Rome.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Historically though it used to be the reverse. In a premodern era before strong central governments, if you were a peasant on the land you were either somebody’s serf, owing feudal obligations, or you were a freeholder, without obligations but often without any political rights. Medieval and early modern cities actually had far more democratic and representative governments, so cities and city states often had far more developed concepts of citizenship or residency rights or permissions than the countryside, because political structures other than “that one guy runs poo poo” existed in cities and so levels of access to those structures - ranging from the ability to be one of the guys who runs poo poo through able to vote for them through not voting but can’t be asked to leave to allowed to stay, for now, if you pay, but that can change, all had to regulated in cities centuries earlier. Also, more prosaically, cities had walls, and so there had to be ways to control who was getting let inside them.

Yeah so that means that there's an extra level of admin to go through when a medieval town or village organically grows pretty big. The area and people have to be extracted from whoever's dominion that they are under, which historically most medieval lords would not be happy about and may put up a fuss. It's not an automatic process. Nor is it automatic that every town can build its own fortifications, that's another thing that the lords will sometimes get angry about. There were times when kings would try to stop various subjects from building fortifications, which may have been difficult, but building big defensive walls could still be an inflammatory move for a polity,

It's also a misnomer to think of medieval local governments as "democratic". I'm pretty sure that some towns could even have lord-appointed mayors, but even the self-governing ones would have a whole host of options other than democracy to turn to. Drawing lots was more popular than it should've been. With medieval republics especially, don't think "republic" means "democracy". Often their leaders were chosen through ridiculously complex methods that were mainly just opportunities for all the powerful families to give their input so that the government would mainly be a weird balance between all the families (especially since if one family got too much prominence they could just declare themseves hereditary rulers, like the Medici did in Florence). Sometimes even the official top head honcho position title would even be rendered hobbled and nearly powerless, making it a bit more confusing where the actual seat of power was.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah if your bottom category is "greater than 50" then you got something wrong.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the last caesar died in the netherlands in 1941

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SlothfulCobra posted:

NYC is the fifth Rome.
:hmmyes:
Rome
Constantinople
Wandering HRE Capital
The Hague
New Amsterdam

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

:hmmyes:
Rome
Constantinople
Wandering HRE Capital
The Hague
New Amsterdam

mods ban this denier of the true fourth rome: belgrade

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah so that means that there's an extra level of admin to go through when a medieval town or village organically grows pretty big. The area and people have to be extracted from whoever's dominion that they are under, which historically most medieval lords would not be happy about and may put up a fuss. It's not an automatic process. Nor is it automatic that every town can build its own fortifications, that's another thing that the lords will sometimes get angry about. There were times when kings would try to stop various subjects from building fortifications, which may have been difficult, but building big defensive walls could still be an inflammatory move for a polity,

It's also a misnomer to think of medieval local governments as "democratic". I'm pretty sure that some towns could even have lord-appointed mayors, but even the self-governing ones would have a whole host of options other than democracy to turn to. Drawing lots was more popular than it should've been. With medieval republics especially, don't think "republic" means "democracy". Often their leaders were chosen through ridiculously complex methods that were mainly just opportunities for all the powerful families to give their input so that the government would mainly be a weird balance between all the families (especially since if one family got too much prominence they could just declare themseves hereditary rulers, like the Medici did in Florence). Sometimes even the official top head honcho position title would even be rendered hobbled and nearly powerless, making it a bit more confusing where the actual seat of power was.
Also, many towns and cities were tiny. Of the roughly 4000 towns and cities in Germany in 1600, 90% had less than a thousand inhabitants.The free imperial city of Bopfingen had a population of 1500 in the year 1634 - roughly the same as the imperial city of Aalen (which dropped to 300 after being plundered).

We often vastly overestimate the size of historical populations, which then leads to an overestimation of the size and complexity of governmental apparatuses in all areas.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

There's also a case for Austin, which then goes to NYC as fifth Rome after the American Civil War.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i wanted to make the argument that biden is the true roman emperor and wilmington the 5th rome via the dupont family but they left france 4 years too early :argh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Turks still refer to the ones in Turkey as Romans, since the modern identity of Greek was a creation of nationalists in the late 18th century and only became a thing in the 19th after independence. Rhomaioi was still a living identity into the 20th century, it didn't really go away until after 1923. The people who had been calling themselves Romans for a solid 1500 years, most of that living in the state of Romania (Land of the Romans) were, indeed, Roman.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

The analogies aren't just kinda lovely, they're nonsense, because nobody in those places is even claiming to be the continuation of the same state. In the American case they are quite loudly stating "we are not the British, we are something else". You'll notice the population of the later empire never does this, for good reason.
A core aspect of being British/American is insisting that you're a special and unique freedom-loving boy, and not at all associated with those other guys, so Americans loudly insisting they're not British is them carrying on an important British tradition.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

That's a separate branch of the Rome tree. Since there's no fifth Rome on the Belgrade-branch, it's fine to call NY simply the fifth Rome, rather than a fifth Rome.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

nobody in those places is even claiming to be the continuation of the same state. In the American case they are quite loudly stating "we are not the British, we are something else". You'll notice the population of the later empire never does this, for good reason.

Sure, but personally I’m not convinced that "Ottoman Empire is Rome" line of thinking, and I don’t think many other people do either. Of course the East-West break was more gradual, but Constantinople in 800 AD was ethnically, linguistically, geographically, and culturally descended from a different civilization than that of Ancient/Imperial Rome, even if culturally they were essentially cousins.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A core aspect of being British/American is insisting that you're a special and unique freedom-loving boy, and not at all associated with those other guys, so Americans loudly insisting they're not British is them carrying on an important British tradition.

That's a separate branch of the Rome tree. Since there's no fifth Rome on the Belgrade-branch, it's fine to call NY simply the fifth Rome, rather than a fifth Rome.

Perhaps it could be aided by doing a rename for the export version, Belgrade can be the fourth Rome and NYC can be seiken densetsu 5

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Rome died when everyone started wearing pants.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Byzantium was Rome in the same way that Taiwan is China.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The city of Rome has always been the only Rome and the dark ages are an entirely inaccurate description.

On an unrelated note the city of Rome went from having more than a million people to less than twenty thousand living among the ruins while still being one of the major settlements remaining in western europe.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Mar 14, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

The city of Rome has always been the only Rome
:wrong:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

If you think about it the Gaza strip has bit less than twice as many people as the city of Rome did during it's ancient height. Makes you think.

The mythical 6th Rome?

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Saladman posted:

Of course the East-West break was more gradual, but Constantinople in 800 AD was ethnically, linguistically, geographically, and culturally descended from a different civilization than that of Ancient/Imperial Rome, even if culturally they were essentially cousins.

That's only if you're comparing them to the pagan Rome of Caesar and Augustus, but of course centuries had passed since those two, and even by the 5th century AD the empire was very different.

Greek had been the second language of the elite since the late Republic, and it had been the lingua franca of the Roman East. Roman identity wasn't based on ethnicity, and as more people learned latin and greek, adopted roman clothing and customs and received citizenship all barrier between the original Romans from Latium and romanized peoples eroded. Obviously this goes both ways, as Italian romans received cultural influenced from the peoples they conquered. After Commodus, who died in AD 192, most emperors were of non italian origin:

Christianity was another great equalizer, since provincial identities had been closely tied with what gods people worshiped, and christianity wiped that away.

By the 5th century Romans were noticeably different from the times of the Republic, they wore different clothes, had different and more varied customs, christianity was the official religion, the army was different in the way it was organized and fought, etc.
By 800 AD people from the eastern empire called themselves Romans, called their land Land of the Romans and considered Constantine the second founder of their civilization. Roman identity had become closely tied with Christianity in the East AND in the West.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
You can see that the second most common origin for Emperors is present day Serbia because Illyria was the main recruiting grounds for the legions throughout the period.