Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

PathAsc posted:

I'm way out of the loop, is mayhem always available now?

No! :comeback:

Oxyclean posted:

didn't they just dilute that rotator with some lame modes so they could have a second permanent 3v3 rotator?

Probably!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Bring back No Land Beyond.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Give me back my Ruin Wings

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

el B posted:

No! :comeback:

Probably!

Lol

Lol

:bungie:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RBA Starblade posted:

There was some Void Titan loadout you could combine with Ruin Wings and just constantly be farting out orbs and heavy ammo, wasn't there?

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Aren't all of Ruin Wings perks available as regular armor mods now? Well, if heavy ammo finder actually did anything...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Majere posted:

Aren't all of Ruin Wings perks available as regular armor mods now? Well, if heavy ammo finder actually did anything...

Ammo Finder mods do their job exactly as described. They just don't increment at all if you're getting ability kills and barely increment if you're getting special or heavy ammo kills. If you use an exotic primary, you'll notice them going off fairly often and if you use a scavenger, the bricks even give you an amount of ammo worth using.

Of course, Ruin Wings' true successor isn't ammo finders, it's Cenotaph and Aeons.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

fast cars loose anus posted:

nothing makes me want to scream like losing out on plat score by < 5k points because idiot pubbies kill champs with reckless abandon while im emoting at them

e: well some other things do and Ill luck into it before the week's out anyway but still. Stop being antagonistic to our score, teammates!

I really like the concept of "Here's a scoring based more where you're aiming for a high school on each run and get better rewards" -- I absolutely hate that they setup the highest score being "Emote + Finisher every Orange bar/champion" instead of poo poo like reaching the top tier of sprees or chaining different kinds of sprees. You know, things related to the gameplay and combat, not selling things from Eververse.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, the Insult to Injury meta has been a thing for like, 3 years now? And it hasn't gone away, so you can only conclude it's what Bungie wants Guardian Games to be.

In a sense, I get it? It forces a level of communication or at least shared knowledge between players and to at least a certain degree, it forces you to make yourself vulnerable enough to come to a stop in front of a champion and start an emote, before you finish them, which means both the champ and the other enemies can gently caress you up while you're mashing your d-pad like a yutz waiting for the emote to start.

But since the power delta is only like 5 levels, I feel like in practice, it just means you're all just standing there poking the champion with primary ammo while it's stunned to get it into finisher range and sometimes you stop shooting early and sometimes your teammate stops shooting early because you're both scared of killing the champion and it's just reaaaaallly slow and boring.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Champions are the part of the meta I like the least, aside probably from loving wyverns (at least champs have something they're weak to). Ironically if they made them tougher and made them minibosses like tormentors I don't think I'd mind as much.

Cue everyone saying they're not that bad, but my question would be not if people have trouble with them, but if anyone actually enjoys them or has anything positive to say about them.

They're the least fun part of a game that badly needs to be fun right now.

RBA Starblade posted:

You are a hunter
They don't even fit you

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I appreciate champs because they make loadout choices more interesting than "What do I feel like using" and "What's the surges?"

From actual gameplay, they're.... fine? I wish they were bigger, more visibly distinct. But otherwise they add a target worth focusing, that maybe requires some cooperation.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think "what are the surges" is a much more interesting question than "what weapon is this enemy unkillable without"

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
my only wish was champions is that I wish the status effects that also broke their Shields or stun them had the symbol attached to them as well.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

EVGA Longoria posted:

I appreciate champs because they make loadout choices more interesting than "What do I feel like using" and "What's the surges?"

From actual gameplay, they're.... fine? I wish they were bigger, more visibly distinct. But otherwise they add a target worth focusing, that maybe requires some cooperation.

I just kind of think it sucks how often I feel pigeon holed into certain weapons because of champion counters. Like this season, you have anti-barrier side arms, or you use an exotic. I don't really find the subclass verbs for anti-barrier to be easy and reliable enough to use them to fill the gap a lot of the time.

I also find it funny how many seasons/activities end up having the "wrong" champion for the loadout I want to play I'll be like "okay, I'm cool with running AB and Unstop.... oh I need overload, well gently caress I don't like any of my options for that." And now this season I'd be cool doing unstop/overload, but then it feels like every nightfall I've done in guardian games has AB.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Oxyclean posted:

I just kind of think it sucks how often I feel pigeon holed into certain weapons because of champion counters. Like this season, you have anti-barrier side arms, or you use an exotic. I don't really find the subclass verbs for anti-barrier to be easy and reliable enough to use them to fill the gap a lot of the time.

I also find it funny how many seasons/activities end up having the "wrong" champion for the loadout I want to play I'll be like "okay, I'm cool with running AB and Unstop.... oh I need overload, well gently caress I don't like any of my options for that." And now this season I'd be cool doing unstop/overload, but then it feels like every nightfall I've done in guardian games has AB.

Yeah, I wish they did a better job with seasonal artifact counters. It's clear they wanted to make Indebted Kindness extra valuable this season and that's why there's only Anti-barrier sidearm. Some kind of system where there's always at least 2 artifact counters, preferably at least one green ammo counter, would be ideal.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Champions suck because they are only 3 versions they never iterated on. There should be a shitload of them requiring different weapons, strategies, energy types, they should do different things, etc.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Champs wouldn’t be that bad if there was a state between having the mod and not. You either have the perk to break through them and they die near instantly or you just can’t kill them without a super.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Champions suck because they just stand out and bring the whole encounter to a stop every time they spawn. I like having some bigger enemies but if big units are the way they wanted to go over another enemy soecies they really need to integrate those units into existing species and designs and encounters.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
What counts as a "destiny stream" for the purposes of the diamond medallion bonus

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ex post facho posted:

What counts as a "destiny stream" for the purposes of the diamond medallion bonus

Any of the 500 streamers who put "drops!" in their stream title

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I like champions and their place in the game, I wish there was more iteration on the concept, but I think the main issue is the execution of how we deal with them, both in the artifact and our subclass keywords. I watched a video on Wish-Ender vs. Revision Zero that was in reality just a video about how insanely overpowered Wish-Ender is and how dominant it is as the anti-barrier weapon of choice and I wrote this in response.

quote:

The problem you discussed, how there's always one dominant method of Anti-Barrier, this season it's Polaris Lance, before that and after this it's Wish-Ender, before that it was Arbalest, I think speaks to an issue with how our subclass 3.0 keywords deal with Barrier as opposed to how they deal with Overload and Unstoppable. There's a lot of options to deal with the other two kinds of champions that can easily be specced into outside of exotic weapons. The reason Flint Striker is so good for dealing with champions is it gives your Radiant as part of your standard gameplay loop - by the time the champion is activating their barrier, you already have Radiant to break it just by playing normally. Otherwise, getting Radiant, Unraveling Rounds or Volatile Rounds can be pretty cumbersome, the latter two moreso than Radiant, since you at least have Ember of Torches and Acrobat's Dodge. I don't think the way to fix this is to nerf Wish-Ender (although, uh, we probably should still nerf Wish-Ender) because that would just bring back Arbalest or Eriana's or just make GMs more annoying and slow to play through. I think the solution here is 1) Make Volatile and Unraveling make barriers vulnerable to standard gunfire or 2) Give us more consistent ways into Volatile Rounds and Unraveling Rounds than just putting Volatile Flow on the artifact once a year.

As for Revision Zero, I think the issue is that it takes approximately 14 to 27 years to get the sniper rounds up. Malfesance and Polaris Lance make their big kabooms in five shots. Quicksilver Storm gets a grenade ready in like a second and I think Quicksilver should be the comp here and if anything, it should be FASTER than Quicksilver because Quicksilver has the full Strand synergy! You're giving up subclass synergy by using Revision Zero, so why is it getting its exotic perk SLOWER than weapons that also synergize with subclasses?!

And that's kind of exacerbated this season because of Anti-Barrier Sidearm being the only thing you're offered from the artifact, which doesn't feel good at all unless you're using Indebted Kindness, which is definitely a "the first weapon of its type in Destiny 2" kind of weapon. It's like, okay? But the perks are kinda poo poo and sometimes it feels pretty clunky and you can tell Bungie shipped it undercooked because it was a new weapon and they didn't want it to completely dominate the sandbox. There actually is one other option for special ammo sidearms that feels really good in Forerunner, but that is an exotic.

Maybe this is something episodes will fix, as I think each content drop is going to add new rows to the artifact? So maybe things will feel better if they're adding new anti-champion mods every month and a half.

ex post facho posted:

Pretty sure any stream in the Destiny 2 category counts.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

MJeff posted:

But since the power delta is only like 5 levels, I feel like in practice, it just means you're all just standing there poking the champion with primary ammo while it's stunned to get it into finisher range and sometimes you stop shooting early and sometimes your teammate stops shooting early because you're both scared of killing the champion and it's just reaaaaallly slow and boring.

I wish this part were true; every time my teammates refuse to stop emptying their clip while I'm standing there trying to draw runes in the thing's face and hit g before they kill it

EVGA Longoria posted:

Honestly I could really go for the loadout choices being "what do I feel like using" more often there's a lot of cool exotics and things I get to use way less often than I want

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Don’t talk about champs or waro will Kramer into the thread and tell you that they’re good, actually

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

champion mods should not change per season and you should have multiple weapons that stun them or class verbs.

Thanks for attending my ted talk

also we might be back in a 600 auto rifle meta:

https://youtu.be/LIX9_GPvsHw?si=V7yOPF_3KoWkUwSV

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think champ mods are fine, the issues is they give us a small selection. Each mod should be a double, give us overload ARs/pulses, sure, in one, and give us like AB sidearms and Fusions as well. Let us use some specials dang it. Full the first column with champ mods, but now it covers ten types of weapons, that's way nicer.

Honestly though, I just run Stasis with a solar weapon this season. I got so much slow and freeze/shatter and solar going radiant chunks off the barriers. I actually find myself using subclass verbs a tonne.

Also surges are cool, outside of high end stuff it's just bonus damage, but realistically you don't need it, especially with overcharged weapons etc. What they really need tho is to bump all primary damage on everything not just red bars. Hell just please include orange bars for loving once.

There's a big difference in optimising for damag and optimising so you aren't loving plinking away orange thralls, jfc.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Forerunner

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

RBX posted:

Forerunner

Yes there are exceptions (you could also use Bastion!) but that's not really a solution to the problem is it.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

I think champ mods are fine, the issues is they give us a small selection. Each mod should be a double, give us overload ARs/pulses, sure, in one, and give us like AB sidearms and Fusions as well. Let us use some specials dang it. Full the first column with champ mods, but now it covers ten types of weapons, that's way nicer.

Honestly though, I just run Stasis with a solar weapon this season. I got so much slow and freeze/shatter and solar going radiant chunks off the barriers. I actually find myself using subclass verbs a tonne.

Also surges are cool, outside of high end stuff it's just bonus damage, but realistically you don't need it, especially with overcharged weapons etc. What they really need tho is to bump all primary damage on everything not just red bars. Hell just please include orange bars for loving once.

There's a big difference in optimising for damag and optimising so you aren't loving plinking away orange thralls, jfc.

I think every champ mod should have a standard/special/heavy weapon to modify IMO. Make them not overcharge special and heavy weapons so surges still matter somewhat, but especially if you play solo, the champ mods are extremely confining for loadouts. I dislike that outside of weird exotics I practically need to take 2 primary ammo weapons into solo content with champs.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

haveblue posted:

Any of the 500 streamers who put "drops!" in their stream title

This worked after watching Datto and Aztecross for an hour each, thanks! It does appear you have to use one with "Drops!" though since it says this explicitly in the Twitch directions, it doesn't look like just any Destiny 2 stream would work necessarily.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

syntaxfunction posted:

Yes there are exceptions (you could also use Bastion!) but that's not really a solution to the problem is it.

It kind of is. If you have enough options, the current system works. And for overload and unstoppable, I think they're at a good place. Barrier is the one that's just wholly dominated by one or two options.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ACAB

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
All Cidearms Anti-Barrier.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

All Champions Are Bad

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

MJeff posted:

It kind of is. If you have enough options, the current system works. And for overload and unstoppable, I think they're at a good place. Barrier is the one that's just wholly dominated by one or two options.

Unless you don't want to use sidearms. Or god forbid someone simply doesn't have Forerunner or Indebted Kindness yet. I even like sidearms, but it isn't a good system, not with having literally one archetype alone to do it. And overload and unstoppable are good, *this season*. God knows it goes to poo poo other times.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

syntaxfunction posted:

Unless you don't want to use sidearms. Or god forbid someone simply doesn't have Forerunner or Indebted Kindness yet. I even like sidearms, but it isn't a good system, not with having literally one archetype alone to do it. And overload and unstoppable are good, *this season*. God knows it goes to poo poo other times.

Overload and Unstoppable are set in pretty much all seasons.

In anti-barrier land, you have:
- Radiant, which is currently dominating the sandbox via Flint Striker.
- Volatile Rounds where if you're a Hunter, locks you into Gyrfalcon's and if you're not, you can only get with one fragment tied to your grenade cooldown.
- Unraveling Rounds, which comes from exactly one fragment that is tied to your melee cooldown.
- Wish-Ender, the clear and obvious best option.
- Revision Zero, an okay pulse rifle whose exotic perk is way too slow.
- Eriana's Vow, a pretty decent gun, but it requires special ammo and is kinda situational otherwise.
- Arbalest, ditto.
- The Lament, which, yeah, sure, dude. Run up on an anti-barrier Colossus 25 levels above you with an exotic sword and stand still so you can rev it up. This is definitely a real thing real people will ever attempt to do.
- Second Chance, a Titan Exotic which is okay, but really situational.

Meanwhile, Overload has:
- Jolt, which has about one shitmillion ways to apply itself between aspects, fragments, exotics and Voltshot. It's the most ubiquitous and useful status effect in the game.
- Suppression, which is harder to apply, but not impossible. There's a grenade and a couple good exotics that apply it.
- Slow, which is almost as ubiquitous as Jolt. Every stasis class can apply it super easily, Ager's and Wicked Implement apply it really easily and failing everything else, you can just slap on Chill Clip Riptide.
- Le Monarque, one of the best primary weapons in the game.
- Divinity, one of the best special weapons in the game.
- Thunderlord, one of the best heavy weapons in the game.
- There's also Lucky Raspberry and Secant Filaments. This is probably your first time learning those have anti-Overload capabilities.

And Unstoppable isn't much worse off with:
- Blind, which is actually kinda cringe and hard to apply. Good luck getting an Unstoppable Champ with a Flashbang, they'll usually just walk right over it before it detonates. Queenbreaker and Grand Overture are decent power weapons? Vesper of Radius is pretty good? Blind fuckin' sucks.
- Ignitions, which every solar class can build into pretty easily either directly (Gunpowder Gamble, Consecration) or just by applying 100 scorch.
- Freezing, which in addition to having a bunch of ways to do, you can also just apply a lot of slow!
- Suspend, which is really powerful and ubiquitous for every Strand class and even has an exotic weapon that can do it for free.
- Malfesance, a really good hand cannon.
- Leviathan's Breath, a really good power weapon.
- Bastion and Devil's Ruin which..........are also in the game.
- Ashen Wake and Athrys's Embrace are also in the game.

Unstoppable isn't perfect, but it gets there by the versatility of Strand, Ignition and Freeze piggybacking off of other status effects and a couple good exotics and the artifact does the finishing touches to bridge the gap. Overload is absolutely awash with top tier extremely versatile options to the point where you can just totally ignore the artifact most seasons if you want to. Overload Rocket this season is really good, but if it wasn't there, would that stop people from using rockets? No, we'd just use one of the eight billion other great options to stop Overloads.

Anti-Barrier has....Wish-Ender and Radiant. And then a couple okay exotic special weapons and then a bunch of really mid stuff and two buffs that are really difficult to consistently activate. So when the artifact whiffs and the only thing it gives you is Indebted Kindness or Forerunner, it's a much bigger pain point, because most of your other options just aren't realistic.

The issues are that Bungie did anti-Barrier sidearms before sidearms were ready for that kind of role and because the other side of dealing with Barriers has been undercooked for a while. They could fix it by buffing those other options or by making sure there's more than two special ammo versions of the single anti-Barrier perk they're putting in the artifact. The system is fine as long as you have enough good options.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

ex post facho posted:

This worked after watching Datto and Aztecross for an hour each, thanks! It does appear you have to use one with "Drops!" though since it says this explicitly in the Twitch directions, it doesn't look like just any Destiny 2 stream would work necessarily.

For any twitch drop campaign the streamer you're watching must have drops enabled (which they will indicate by saying so as you said) not just be streaming the game the giveaway is for, yeah

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Also you have to claim the drop somewhere after you watch your two hours, it doesn’t show up in game until you do that.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

This season I like when the NF has Barrier and Unstoppable Champions because I can use Polaris Lance with Dawn Chorus and it takes care of everything thanks to the Artifact mods.

Today’s GG NF had bonus Rocket Launcher damage which made Gjally one shot all champions. I had the Overload mod on and the homing pellets also kill the Overloads very quickly.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

Mill Village posted:

There’s also netlimiters and lag switchers. They will report you for a bad connection and get you suspended from PVP. Great design there.

On the other hand sometimes they fly too close to the sun and DC at 4-4 in trials, lmao

The one that really pisses me off is the 3 stacks that exploit so they only get matched against solos, gently caress those guys. I'm not giving Bungie any money until they fix that poo poo, it's the most basic matchmaking possible and they still gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I do like mixing up anti-chump every season. There's tons of options now anyways, it's not like previously where you were very limited. For the last few seasons, solar subclass with a chill clip fusion covered all 3 if you were lazy.

But destiny is a land of contrasts. One build to cover everything gets stale, build crafting every few weeks is a good mixup, but still annoying that you need 3rd party apps/website to facilitate that.

Wtf else you gonna do with the 600 guns in your vault.