Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's understood by the BG to be a comprehensive library of ancestral memories.

It could be a very specific schizophrenia, transmigrated souls, time nonsense, subconsciously manifested urges, personification of genetic programming, or any of a thousand other things.

Possession and abomination as depicted in Children was a thing in the zeitgeist, with past lives and channeled entities being a big deal in New Age. It's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Beyond the Black Rainbow: secret Dune film?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Other Memory also left me with the feeling that it was an actual literal place or dimension that could be accessed, not just each person holding a repository of everyone who came before them in genetic memory. And prescience is part of that same space but with a different perspective. It's been rather a while since I read it but I seem to recall Paul actually "talks" with Leto II through their shared prescience/access to Other Memory right after Leto and Ghanima are born, like it's a room the two of them can step into and have a brief side conversation that nobody else notices. So it's also a little bit like the Akashic Records or some other kind of magic soul library, but anyone but a Kwisatz Haderach has limited access.

disposablewords fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 13, 2024

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

priznat posted:

Beyond the Black Rainbow: secret Dune film?

Villain is:
☑️ bald

☑️ in black leather coat

☑️ insane

☑️ has a knife

☑️ represents juiced up Cold War anxiety

☑️ trying to create a psychic overman through hard drugs + unorthodox child rearing practices

Yeah why not tbh

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Real talk I would watch a Dune spinoff by Panos Cosmatos. It would be wild poo poo.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

priznat posted:

Real talk I would watch a Dune spinoff by Panos Cosmatos. It would be wild poo poo.

Give him Heretics. The extended hypnobong sequence will be lit

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

skasion posted:

Give him Heretics. The extended hypnobong sequence will be lit

Oh hell yeah. I really liked his recent Netflix episode in that GdT cabinet of curiosities anthology show. He needs more work!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

disposablewords posted:

Other Memory also left me with the feeling that it was an actual literal place or dimension that could be accessed, not just each person holding a repository of everyone who came before them in genetic memory. And prescience is part of that same space but with a different perspective. It's been rather a while since I read it but I seem to recall Paul actually "talks" with Leto II through their shared prescience/access to Other Memory right after Leto and Ghanima are born, like it's a room the two of them can step into and have a brief side conversation that nobody else notices. So it's also a little bit like the Akashic Records or some other kind of magic soul library, but anyone but a Kwisatz Haderach has limited access.

Yeah the later books imply a lot of BG/KH stuff is explicitly paranatural instead of just being ludicrous body control and speed historical materialism

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's definitely a point where, for example, the BG's mastery of body language gives way to literal telepathy. But since this is all hogwash, it's subjective.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think it's fair to say that Dune starts as hard sci-fi and then gradually adds woo elements until you're in full blown space fantasy.

It's cool but people definitely get weird about changing lanes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
always viciously hard in the politics, always viciously woo in the science-qua-science

then again, politics is a lot more eternal than science has been. we kept like 0.1% of the ancient greeks' science but every single bit of the ancient greeks politics remains relevant for learning about modern politics

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dune was never hard sci-fi at any point.

"Every bit of ancient Greek politics is relevant today" is one of those wise statements that's true in a way that's devoid of real meaning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like once you reach a certain point in sufficiently advanced science it feels basically like magic. I think Arthur C. Clark had a quote about that...

Oh, right! "Reading computer manuals without the hardware is as frustrating as reading sex manuals without the software."

What a wise man.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

He was “reading” sex Manuels all right in his later years :barf:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

using the voice on my cat to try and make him get off the desk

it worked!!!

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

using the voice on my cat to try and make him get off the desk

it worked!!!

I'm pretty sure whenever my cat presses his head against mine he's stealing my memories. I'm not getting anything but I think that's working as intended.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Bene gesserit: Think they rule everything, great fighters, great companions, always headbutting things. Are the BG actually cats???

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Flinger posted:

Bene gesserit: Think they rule everything, great fighters, great companions, always headbutting things. Are the BG actually cats???

Meowing at you to feed them is just using the Voice

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

pussy magic...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A cat always landing on his feet is what you call pussy space magic

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

strange fascination with boxes, also

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Anne Frank Funk posted:

He was “reading” sex Manuels all right in his later years :barf:

gross, who even reads?

i just have moneo read all my sexy manuels while i lounge dicklessly on my cart bed

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not surprised this is the point where a lot of people peace out. My point is, Frank Herbert was a Republican and this is what those people are actually like when they have no filter.

I wouldn't necessarily say Herbert was a republican and more a specifically West Coast, ecologically small c conservative oddjob that really only existed between 1945 and 1970. He praised Nixon for reminding Americans to never trust politicians.

He was a kinda horrible person to his loved ones tho.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My PIN is 4826 posted:

strange fascination with boxes, also

put your hand inside the box

what's in the box

Pain.

It checks out

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Frank Herbert was a Republican. He was employed by the Republican Party and worked on several Republican campaigns over the course of at least a few years.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

may thy fragile knick knacks easily batted off the shelf chip and shatter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Frank Herbert was both absolutely a serious Republican and these days would probably be considered a center-left Democrat because he acknowledges things like "climate change is an actual thing that can happen" and "The horrible fat pedophile is probably not a great choice for a leader."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shageletic posted:

I wouldn't necessarily say Herbert was a republican and more a specifically West Coast, ecologically small c conservative oddjob that really only existed between 1945 and 1970.
Heinlein was similar - horny swinging libertarian grandpa who was also an ardent Cold Warrior.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The key to understanding these hippie conservative sci fi writers is that they were all white men born in the early twentieth century. They believed whatever mishmash of ideas made them feel cool and smart, and they had the talent to make them seem cool and smart, even when they were heartless and contemptibly stupid. See also: Ronald Reagan.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Gooney Halleck

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
m'young pup....

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Halloween Jack posted:

The key to understanding these hippie conservative sci fi writers is that they were all white men born in the early twentieth century. They believed whatever mishmash of ideas made them feel cool and smart, and they had the talent to make them seem cool and smart, even when they were heartless and contemptibly stupid. See also: Ronald Reagan.

Heinlein's big list of "things a human should be able to do" that could be shortened down to, "Have my life experiences."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tree Bucket posted:

Gooney Halleck

Paul: "I'm not in the mood."

Gurney wearing a "you laugh because i'm different" tshirt: "Mood’s a thing for SHEEP or for the act of euuuugh COITUS which I can't PERFORM because the Harkonnens CIRCUMSIZED me! THEY"RE BRUTAL!"

Paul: "ummmm"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

Niven, too - conservatarian 1960s-1970s Californian hippie point of view. Oh, and a partial heir to the Getty oil fortune.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Frank Herbert was a Republican. He was employed by the Republican Party and worked on several Republican campaigns over the course of at least a few years.

Ok?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
dunctoo... was ok

not very special and not as good as the first part

too many too similar battles

at least 0.5-1h could have been cut

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tree Bucket posted:

Gooney Halleck

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Not a Republican in 1965 having antiquated views on sexuality

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"talk about sex" in 1965 was the idiosyncratic progressive position, despite the homophobia and the creepiness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Lol come on now, this would be a completely unexceptionable remark to make about virtually any writer in any social context. Especially right after throwing shade for saying things that sound profound until you think about it. Bold bit explains Delany or Lem or Leguin or Mary W Shelley with the same facility as it explains En-hedu-ana. People communicate their points of view as a self-affirmation? Well I never!