Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Hold me longer tiny Riker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Small thing, I’m randomly seeing extra spacing between the username and reg date in some places. It will randomly occur midway down a page too.

A pair of quick and dirty screenshots, showing where it randomly happened in two different threads:

Current iOS 17.4, updated version of AwfulApp. Not sure if it started with the iOS update last night, but I’ve seen it off and on today.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

MarcusSA posted:

Hold longer

I did. :colbert:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Hold longer

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Embrace pinch to zoom. It’s a feature and a bug!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

You’ve got to hold it way longer than you think holy moly

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

It teaches patience

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Anyone else get an app crash when following an external link from the app?

Right now it’s crashing every time for me. I’m on the app store release, iOS 17.3.1.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Right now it’s crashing every time for me. I’m on the app store release, iOS 17.3.1.

I upgraded to 17.4 and the issue persists.

The app closes witout any error message whenever i touch a link. No matter if it’s a hyperlink or some other object that links out (like an embed).

Can I somehow generate a crash log for the devs?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'd try the testflight build since it's newer I think,

https://testflight.apple.com/join/530cS7a7

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

The app closes witout any error message whenever i touch a link. No matter if it’s a hyperlink or some other object that links out (like an embed).

Maybe try clearing the cache? Does iOS let you do that?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Are you set to use Awful’s built-in browser, or another app (like Safari)? It’s in the Settings page.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Maybe try clearing the cache? Does iOS let you do that?

there is a clear cache button in the awful app settings, but logging out of the app will also clear the cache

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Hold longer

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I was also getting this, started a few days ago, both in normal app and testflight. Switching to default ios browser instead of Awful seems to have fixed it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

chglcu posted:

I was also getting this, started a few days ago, both in normal app and testflight. Switching to default ios browser instead of Awful seems to have fixed it.

That worked for me, too!

I could have sworn I’d already set the app to use the default browser long ago.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’m sorry if this has been brought up already upthread.

Is anyone experiencing their “favorites” emojis on the SA app disappearing? I had about twenty of them in there and just noticed they were gone.

I readded some but the next time I opened the app, they were gone again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MrMojok posted:

I’m sorry if this has been brought up already upthread.

Is anyone experiencing their “favorites” emojis on the SA app disappearing? I had about twenty of them in there and just noticed they were gone.

I readded some but the next time I opened the app, they were gone again.
:mediocre:
Do not, my friends, become addicted to favorite smilies. They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence.

Kidding aside, yes that bug has been noted by others.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That worked for me, too!

I could have sworn I’d already set the app to use the default browser long ago.

I was fairly sure I had as well. Maybe that option getting reset is part of the same issue?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The latest awful.app on Mac OS crashes whenever you click on any link in a post. I'm running 14.4. This is on top of share sheets still crashing.

Also, here's a fun visual bug on iOS: If you press the settings button in view post while the screen is inertially scrolling, the setting box has weird growing behaviors. I've recorded a video demonstrating this.

https://i.imgur.com/Jn1eoa1.mp4

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I know it’s not exactly the app’s issue, but the upload shortcut has been throwing this at me all today:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I just noticed that too.

Had to resort to using the Imgur app to upload photos.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i was just gonna ask about it. did something change with ios 17.4?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

`Nemesis posted:

i was just gonna ask about it. did something change with ios 17.4?

I’m still on 17.3.1 so it’s not that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Emptying the cache still claims you've emptied 0.0Mb, go hog wild.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i think the imgur api is rejecting requests from apple shortcuts.

i messed around with the script and got it to ask me to log in to authorize the work flow, but any login attempt results in

code:
{"data":{"error":"Too Many Requests","request":"\/oauth2\/authorize","method":"POST"},"success":false,"status":429}
http 429 is rate limiting error as stated

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
They’re onto us :tinfoil:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
"lol let's buy an image host website and systematically make it as hard as possible to host images over time until we have no money and no community anymore"

Those idiots deserve to lose all their money lol

It's cool, attachments 2.0 will be launching Tuesday

Or maybe there will be an announcement Tuesday?

Or.. maybe Jeff will begin drafting an announcement NEXT Tuesday?

Just hang in there I guess

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

The big imgur apocalypse may have finally happened

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Use postimages.org they work so much better.

e: a link https://postimages.org/

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Yeah I have an account there I use when I'm on my PC, I need to see if I can repurpose my Imgur shortcut to use them instead

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tenkaris posted:

Yeah I have an account there I use when I'm on my PC, I need to see if I can repurpose my Imgur shortcut to use them instead

I looked a while ago at adding native support to them in the app, but they didn’t have an appropriate API for it. Hopefully that’s better now.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Midjack posted:

:mediocre:
Do not, my friends, become addicted to favorite smilies. They will take hold of you, and you will resent their absence.

Kidding aside, yes that bug has been noted by others.

And we don’t know of any fix, right? I tried offloading the app. I guess I can try to completely uninstall and reinstall also.

It’s the strangest thing. It worked for me for years with no issues until the a few days ago.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Was this just updated? It's now committing an unforgivable sin: defaulting to starting sentences with capital letters in YOSPOS. It used to correctly leave the shift button alone. Now I have to remember to manually unshift lest I look like a fool :argh:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

...! posted:

Was this just updated? It's now committing an unforgivable sin: defaulting to starting sentences with capital letters in YOSPOS. It used to correctly leave the shift button alone. Now I have to remember to manually unshift lest I look like a fool :argh:

isn't that an autocorrect setting in the defaults for ios itself

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arivia posted:

isn't that an autocorrect setting in the defaults for ios itself

The app forces it off for some forums but maybe there’s a bug. I haven’t noticed it, if so.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

The app forces it off for some forums but maybe there’s a bug. I haven’t noticed it, if so.

Oh, neat!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Subjunctive posted:

Sometimes Awful app will forget the current forums theme when resuming after it was memory-evicted. In yospos that means your reply's sentences will be shamefully auto-capitalized

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Grace Baiting posted:

Sometimes Awful app will forget the current forums theme when resuming after it was memory-evicted. In yospos that means your reply's sentences will be shamefully auto-capitalized

DON'T BELIEVE HER LIES, turns out I was misremembering and the auto-capitalization can be erroneously activated when you first load a yospos thread. No Awful app memory eviction/reload required! Nor does it appear to be necessarily linked to display theme errors!!

Still seems unpredictable because it went away when I closed and then tapped on that thread again. (And now that I'm reexamining my recollections, I'm also not sure when the last time I've seen a yospos thread get rendered wrong with the default forums theme... poooossibly this was fixed in more recent Awful app version?? And/or related to a newer phone mb?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I've noticed a fairly minor but annoying thing in the past few weeks, apologies if this has been mentioned already this is just a huge thread and I'm finally fed up with this:

I'm on iOS 17.3.1 on an iPhone 12 Pro, and you used to be able to long-tap on an image to open it bigger, especially in a quoted post with images. Now, it seems you have to hold your tap for several indeterminate seconds in order to have this happen. It eventually happens, but I can't figure out the timing now and it takes me several attempts to get it to work, successively holding down on the image longer and longer until it works. I'll try to get a video of it but thought I'd mention just in case it's something to which I'm just oblivious, but it drives me nuts.

EDIT: LMAO thread title. I'm guessing I should read the OP, got here via the Settings menu.