Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lol at least one entry is a ripoff of an old short story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Potato Salad posted:

containment via declaration of war

https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-1761

Akumeoy
Aug 6, 2022

extremely large and incredibly huge
Contest is over. Seal of Approval won. Not what I would've picked, but whatever, these things never go quite the way I want them to.

As for the question of strategic voting, staff put out a statement here and are asking for user input. Five users are getting in trouble, and significantly more were deemed suspect. Seems the general consensus is that it's kinda killing the vibe.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I hope whatever wins the 9000 slot isn't sixty loving pages long.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Love from Ada was boring as gently caress

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Akumeoy posted:

Contest is over. Seal of Approval won. Not what I would've picked, but whatever, these things never go quite the way I want them to.

As for the question of strategic voting, staff put out a statement here and are asking for user input. Five users are getting in trouble, and significantly more were deemed suspect. Seems the general consensus is that it's kinda killing the vibe.
I’m fine with Seal of Approval winning. It’s a little long for what it is, but not unbearably so, and more importantly, it’s good at being what it is.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Akumeoy posted:

Incidentally, while people can express their preference, the contest rules specifically forbid doing it by voting. Like you said, it's inevitable so long as net votes are used to determine the contest winner, but anyone caught doing it is definitely at risk of disciplinary action.

I say 'risk' because the only mentioned consequence is disqualification, which obviously doesn't mean anything to people who don't have contest entries. I don't know whether it would count as "malicious downvoting", which is definitely punishable.

Huh -- sorry, I had no idea this was banned, which is fair. I still think it's gonna be kinda unavoidable in this format as long as contest status is wedded to the general voting module, though.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Tunicate posted:

lol at least one entry is a ripoff of an old short story

Which one?

Also, congratulations to Seal of Approval.

The downvoting patterns were pretty disgusting, I'm glad they were able to detect them and adjust accordingly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The one where they find a crack in the earth and lower a platform down and start communicating with underground dwellers by writing paper messages, a second person starts feeding them meat with the platform, then after they request something different to eat, a person goes down to meet them and gets eaten, and the last message is thst person was delicious.

It is a pretty obvious copy of "Hey, you down there" by Harold Rolseth, which was adapted by Spielberg for Amazing Stories as "Thanksgiving"

I

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
mostly surprised that djkaktus's entry isn't yet another jon stewartesque piece of biting satire

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
after thinking it was too long i ended up reading 8ball again anyway and i think it was my favorite, possibly because there were two(2) pictures of a cat

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My favorite part of SCP is when you get a comment on one thats like "this is incredibly well written and genuinely made me cry but it had an orb in it so I'm going to have to downvote"

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
That’s my favorite too.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I have to wonder if it's intentional that Seal of Approval is long and the titular anomaly is also really long

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

As long as it's not longer than the really, really, really long fish

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've posted in this thread before, but I've read on the SCP wiki on and off.

What the hell is this mess? https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-7002

In the comments over there, the author says it deals with themes of exploitation and food scarcity, but it doesn't work when the comet is destroying crops (food scarcity) that the aliens are compelling humans to grow (exploitation). It makes no sense, unless there's something I'm totally missing.

So am I missing something, or are these aliens are stupid as they seem?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

"Channels of luminous matter or energy, flowing between Earth and the unknown planet" implies that they are somehow stealing those resources. I don't really like the idea of the Foundation being in charge of dealing with that kind of thing though, it seems like once everyone on earth knows about a threat governments would take over more directly

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Filox posted:

I don't think I've posted in this thread before, but I've read on the SCP wiki on and off.

What the hell is this mess? https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-7002

In the comments over there, the author says it deals with themes of exploitation and food scarcity, but it doesn't work when the comet is destroying crops (food scarcity) that the aliens are compelling humans to grow (exploitation). It makes no sense, unless there's something I'm totally missing.

So am I missing something, or are these aliens are stupid as they seem?
The withering seems to be beneficial to the aliens somehow.

It is very common for "famines" to take place in countries producing more than enough food to feed themselves because the food is being produced for export. It's a pretty straightforward commentary on this but it's also not very good because the fantastical elements were poorly chosen and obfuscate/obscure the events.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

The withering seems to be beneficial to the aliens somehow.

It is very common for "famines" to take place in countries producing more than enough food to feed themselves because the food is being produced for export. It's a pretty straightforward commentary on this but it's also not very good because the fantastical elements were poorly chosen and obfuscate/obscure the events.

Yeah, but that isn't well expressed. It was a promising entry till the writing got fuddled up.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Call me back when the SCP wiki has ranked choice voting like god intended.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I guess I mean it's mediocre at best, but I actually did like Seal of Approval like, a lot more than a whole lot of the other entries I read over the last few weeks?

What I really hope happens as a result is that the very long seal becomes the official therapist for the foundation, full benefits, full vacation package

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

Call me back when the SCP wiki has ranked choice voting like god intended.

I’m afraid that methods of voting other than FPTP are anomolous, hence the campaign to suppress them.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Splicer posted:

Huh, every time I vote two votes show up the other way.

MUST... TELL... O5 MCCAIN!

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Akumeoy posted:

https://twitter.com/Shaggydreds/status/1766853868615299293

will this drama blow up or fizzle out?? vote now on your phones

if they're really using the on-article voting system rather than a separate ranked choice poll page, they asked for this problem to manifest

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

if they're really using the on-article voting system rather than a separate ranked choice poll page, they asked for this problem to manifest

"This is a contest to see which entry wins the prize, and it's determined by your voting on this thing here! Don't consider that when voting though. It's against the rules to think about why you're reading this in the first place when voting."

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
The system is a cognitohazard!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The ratio of interesting horror fiction to petty internet drama coming out of SCP has gotten dire over the last year.

Akumeoy
Aug 6, 2022

counterfeitsaint posted:

The ratio of interesting horror fiction to petty internet drama coming out of SCP has gotten dire over the last year.

It's always been pretty dire, you just didn't have someone with severe brainworms (me) reporting on the drama here. I doubt the complaints about contest voting would have made their way over to this thread if not for me.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

its pretty weird now that like 10-15% of every given series is now on a specific theme because of the contests

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
i dunno i think its fair to hope people voting on a relatively small online creative writing contest would just handle it in good faith, which was the case for a long time. they gotta figure out something different for the next one though

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
'Upvote the ones you want to get the X000 slot, but don't downvote the ones you don't want to get the X000 slot' isn't exactly immediately intuitive.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
They really should put together a new voting system. Considering how hacked up the wikidot is already though, doing so might cause the site to erase itself.

poo poo's the goddamn radium code of wikis.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

If they could just hide the results on the contest entries that'd be a bandaid fix. It'd stop people suddenly downvoting the current leader if they think it shouldn't get the slot, because they don't know what's winning.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Zereth posted:

If they could just hide the results on the contest entries that'd be a bandaid fix. It'd stop people suddenly downvoting the current leader if they think it shouldn't get the slot, because they don't know what's winning.

that, and disable downvoting

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Honestly yeah, removing downvotes entirely seems fine to me?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kitfox88 posted:

Honestly yeah, removing downvotes entirely seems fine to me?
It's the easiest quickfix. If you really like a few entries upvote those ones, if you really hate a few entries upvote everything else. There's other stuff they could do that would be better but they'd be harder to hack into wikidot and using something third party makes dealing with botting even harder.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think a big problem here is that there is no way whatsoever to distinguish the following from one another:

-People who took a look at the highest-rated contest entry, decided that it doesn’t deserve to win as much as their favorite entry, and downvoted it. (Against the rules! Bad faith! Not allowed!)

-People who took a look at the highest-rated contest entry, genuinely did not like it, and downvoted it. (Totally within the rules! Good faith! Very much allowed!)

Both of these cases result in the article receiving a downvote that it wouldn’t have received if it wasn’t the highest rated entry, but only one is against the rules. It is totally pointless to apply different standards of legitimacy to completely indistinguishable actions.

To me the obvious answer is to disconnect contest voting from the upvote/downvote system altogether. Articles entered into a contest should have upvote/downvote buttons with no effect on contest outcomes as well as a button you click to say “I think this deserves to win the contest.” This would completely eliminate the problem. The biggest hurdle as far as I can tell is the Wikidot software, which I understand to be outdated and cumbersome.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Mar 14, 2024

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
I think I should pick the winner and it should be me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumeoy
Aug 6, 2022

Ariong posted:

This would completely eliminate the problem. The biggest hurdle as far as I can tell is the Wikidot software, which I understand to be outdated and cumbersome.

You're correct on all accounts. The most natural workaround would be to have a forum thread where users can post their vote, in whatever form that takes (I'm personally a fan of approval voting, but ranked choice and some wonkier systems are good too). I think virtually every other proposed solution is either inadequate or overly complicated.