Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Batman 89 comics use Wayons Robin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really want to read a deep dive into the production of returns everything about that novie screams that it's five scripts slapped together

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
If that had happened back then, the people who whine on twitter about stuff like that would've had to write letters to the studio instead. That really was a better way to do things.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Blockhouse posted:

I really want to read a deep dive into the production of returns everything about that novie screams that it's five scripts slapped together

Really? I always saw it as Burton allowed to go nuts because the first movie was so successful.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The best part of Batman Returns is the kid playing Christopher Walken's son doing an impression of Christopher Walken at Christopher Walken.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Inkspot posted:

The best part of Batman Returns is the kid playing Christopher Walken's son doing an impression of Christopher Walken at Christopher Walken.

Take away Florence Pugh's awards for not doing it imo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

Really? I always saw it as Burton allowed to go nuts because the first movie was so successful.

Nah, it's an absolute mess that gets by on style and I genuinely think going back with eyes less enamoured with Burton after the last 30 years wouldn't be kind to it.

My hottest take is I actually think Batman Forever is a better movie. Definitely a better BATMAN movie.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Absolutely not. It's completely incoherent, characters just kind of completely change their motivations from scene to scene, there's clear subplots that don't really go anywhere, and I doubt at any point the original plan for the movie was to have the vast majority of Bruce Wayne's scenes be Michael Keaton looking concerned at a television.

There's like four different credited writers between the story and the screenplay.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Aphrodite posted:

Take away Florence Pugh's awards for not doing it imo.

Unironically, yes.

Gaz-L posted:

My hottest take is I actually think Batman Forever is a better movie. Definitely a better BATMAN movie.

Seconded. Batman Returns is a Batman movie that only kind of also surreptitiously has Batman in it. The likes of which we wouldn't see again until The Dark Knight Rises.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I must be nuts because I’ve always preferred Returns to ‘89, which imo is a totally overrated bore.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The Returns script is the most Written By The Guy Who Wrote Hudson Hawk dialogue since Hudson Hawk

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Kilmer's is the best Batman in the sense that if I lived in Gotham City and was in trouble, he's the Batman I'd want to come save me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I think of the four, my preferences are in order of release. I think '89 is a pretty good Batman film, Returns is incredibly Burton and bizarre but fun to watch, Forever is goofy and over the top and pretty fun, while & Robin is in my opinion Forever but taken too far to be charming.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

live with fruit posted:

Kilmer's is the best Batman in the sense that if I lived in Gotham City and was in trouble, he's the Batman I'd want to come save me.

Yeah him or Pattinson are the two best choices.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Happy 15th Anniversary of the day Sony announced Spider-Man 4 (which is still not officially cancelled) would release in 2011.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Happy 15th Anniversary of the day Sony announced Spider-Man 4 (which is still not officially cancelled) would release in 2011.

They should just do a non-multiverse-related Peter B. Parker movie and call it Spider-Man 4

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Batman 2 has been delayed until October, 2026

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, it's an absolute mess that gets by on style and I genuinely think going back with eyes less enamoured with Burton after the last 30 years wouldn't be kind to it.

It’s absolutely one of the better superhero movies and also a classic Christmas movie

Returns is an insane film that rules.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Returns really runs out of steam. All the set up is great but the story itself is boring. Batman takes the Penguin down with a recording.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

live with fruit posted:

Returns really runs out of steam. All the set up is great but the story itself is boring. Batman takes the Penguin down with a recording.

You really need the context there. In 1992 the idea of a political candidate being recorded insulting and belittling the people who were going to vote for him was considered to be a bad thing. In the year 2024 where that makes you the frontrunner in a major political party that might be hard to understand.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

live with fruit posted:

What's wrong with a bat using sound?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
OK but remember when Bruce Wayne is playing that recording and it's on a CD, and then he does a DJ record scratch thing with the CD?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jamesman posted:

OK but remember when Bruce Wayne is playing that recording and it's on a CD, and then he does a DJ record scratch thing with the CD?

Yeah it’s great

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Batman returns rules

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Inkspot posted:

It blew my mind to find out that that guy was Zangief.

Also Lobo in that fan film.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Batman Forever's plot is even worse and isn't stylish enough that it could get away with it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Forever isn't stylish enough?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Good thing about all those movies, like them or hate them, is that Gotham is actually Gotham and not just any eastern US city.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

Good thing about all those movies, like them or hate them, is that Gotham is actually Gotham and not just any eastern US city.

Hey, sometimes Gotham is Chicago.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I said "eastern" because I was trying to include Chicago.

I have no idea if Americans count it as eastern, but an attempt was made.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chicago is representative of the Midwest.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Gotham and Metropolis as cities across a small bay from eachother didn’t work for me at all.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

And are both Detroit.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The_Doctor posted:

Gotham and Metropolis as cities across a small bay from eachother didn’t work for me at all.

My DC cities hot take is that Gotham should be in Massachusetts. This has drastic implications regarding the accents of every Gothamite.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

My private take (which someone else may have come up with too) is that Gotham and Metropolis should be the same city. Gotham is the older part and more or less perfectly safe during the day. But at night it's when the monsters come out.

Metropolis is the newer part with the skyscrapers. That's when the big hitters come out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

My DC cities hot take is that Gotham should be in Massachusetts. This has drastic implications regarding the accents of every Gothamite.

Gotham doesn't have enough riots about its sports teams for that to fit.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

Gotham doesn't have enough riots about its sports teams for that to fit.

Well the Gotham Knights constantly win the title every year but the Gotham Knights are perpetual underachievers. And don't even get me started on the Gotham Knights who couldn't win a game if their lives depended on it (and their lives usually do).

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I always liked the theory that gotham is an ancient sprawling city with tight alleyways which impede sound and full of lead everywhere which is why Superman doesn’t go there unless necessary.

Metropolis is bright and open so of course Batman avoids it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The_Doctor posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Gotham as some kind of Boston/Baltimore mix fits well.