Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah and that's not the worst thing, probes aren't that big of a deal as long as they aren't like months long. Like I got probed yesterday or the day before for continuing a derail and I deserved it and probing me help get the thread back on track.

Conversely, for the users who are breaking the rules deliberately to sabotage discussion or harass other users (like B B as mentioned earlier), short probations are explicitly not a disincentive because their goals are still being accomplished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

It's sabotage because it is specifically deleterious to a factual, educational, falsifiable discussion, basic good faith discussion, not "philosopher king discourse." Even if we weren't able to identify patterns in those posts themselves as Raenir identified and as I've already articulated, we can still see your rapsheets. We know you are doing this on purpose.

as someone who doesn't know any of the people involved, "WE CAN SEE YOUR RAPSHEETS" is infinitely more deleterious to assumptions of good faith than people posting their opinions repetitively or annoyingly. try blocking or simply ignoring them, if you think conversations involving them repeatedly end in a repetitive derail.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's sabotage because it is specifically deleterious to a factual, educational, falsifiable discussion, basic good faith discussion, not "philosopher king discourse." Even if we weren't able to identify patterns in those posts themselves as Raenir identified and as I've already articulated, we can still see your rapsheets. We know you are doing this on purpose.

What purpose. You have yet to explain this. I can tell you I argue with you not out of some amazing agenda but because you irritate me in a way that reminds me a bit of myself. Do you see how ridiculous this is though? The lengths of this paranoia?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Conversely, for the users who are breaking the rules deliberately to sabotage discussion or harass other users (like B B as mentioned earlier), short probations are explicitly not a disincentive because their goals are still being accomplished.

This is true, some people are obsessive about loving with D&D and 6 hours is not a hurdle to that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

As you can already see I am responding to and agreeing wuth extensively documented examples from Raenir Salazar. Also we can all still see y'all's rapsheets. The issue is not disagreement with consensus. The issue is making statements that are designed to sabotage discussion by shifting burdens, rendering falsification impossible, and repeatedly re-raising rebutted claims, actions that violate the rules and are not enforced on.

You've got a way longer rapsheet for consistently being an abrasive rear end in a top hat than most of the people you're yelling at.

I maintain my position from the last thread that anyone who posts like DV but with a "no joe" tag would have been forum banned long ago.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Discendo Vox posted:

With this and other posts you are claiming there is a grand conspiracy to sabotage the subforum. I think you are getting a little heavy into the paranoid style:

quote:

The enemy is clearly delineated: he is a perfect model of malice, a kind of amoral superman—sinister, ubiquitous, powerful, cruel, sensual, luxury-loving. Unlike the rest of us, the enemy is not caught in the toils of the vast mechanism of history, himself a victim of his past, his desires, his limitations. He wills, indeed he manufactures, the mechanism of history, or tries to deflect the normal course of history in an evil way. He makes crises, starts runs on banks, causes depressions, manufactures disasters, and then enjoys and profits from the misery he has produced. The paranoid’s interpretation of history is distinctly personal: decisive events are not taken as part of the stream of history, but as the consequences of someone’s will. Very often the enemy is held to possess some especially effective source of power: he controls the press; he has unlimited funds; he has a new secret for influencing the mind (brainwashing); he has a special technique for seduction (the Catholic confessional).

A final characteristic of the paranoid style is related to the quality of its pedantry. One of the impressive things about paranoid literature is the contrast between its fantasied conclusions and the almost touching concern with factuality it invariably shows. It produces heroic strivings for evidence to prove that the unbelievable is the only thing that can be believed. Of course, there are highbrow, lowbrow, and middlebrow paranoids, as there are likely to be in any political tendency. But respectable paranoid literature not only starts from certain moral commitments that can indeed be justified but also carefully and all but obsessively accumulates “evidence.” The difference between this “evidence” and that commonly employed by others is that it seems less a means of entering into normal political controversy than a means of warding off the profane intrusion of the secular political world. The paranoid seems to have little expectation of actually convincing a hostile world, but he can accumulate evidence in order to protect his cherished convictions from it.
More often I see you dragging the discussion down or trying to shut it down entirely. You can make interesting and informative posts -- I wish you would write more words about the FDA than chiding people.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

socialsecurity posted:

This is true, some people are obsessive about loving with D&D and 6 hours is not a hurdle to that.

Heck, you're incentivized to do so, because if you toss out a low effort post and bait like six people into responding to you, you traded one six hour probe for 36 hours on other people; it's like indirectly doing the thing that used to be a thing where you'd request a ban to get someone else banned, whatever that was called; except you're getting potentially several times the value.

Probably Magic posted:

There's no "evidence" or "facts" supporting this viewpoint. It's not "novel" or "thought-provoking." I can find the same thing on reddit and the MSNBC.com comment section. Weirdly escapes scrutiny.

Just to clarify are you disputing socialsecurity's claim that there's posters who despite being given similar facts are possessing obviously hypocritical positions because of ideology or are you saying something else? It isn't clear to me.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Valentin posted:

as someone who doesn't know any of the people involved, "WE CAN SEE YOUR RAPSHEETS" is infinitely more deleterious to assumptions of good faith than people posting their opinions repetitively or annoyingly. try blocking or simply ignoring them, if you think conversations involving them repeatedly end in a repetitive derail.

It's especially funny because DV has one of the longest rapsheets in D&D, stemming largely from probes IN D&D. If we're using rapsheets as a metric of poster worthiness, DV is one of the worst posters in all of D&D. Perhaps the worst over the past year.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

mawarannahr posted:

With this and other posts you are claiming there is a grand conspiracy to sabotage the subforum. I think you are getting a little heavy into the paranoid style:

More often I see you dragging the discussion down or trying to shut it down entirely. You can make interesting and informative posts -- I wish you would write more words about the FDA than chiding people.

You are misrepresenting my position; there doesn't have to be a grand conspiracy for there to be a group of users who enjoy Sartre's right to play. To wit, I am confident you know that I can't post more words about the FDA without being specifically harassed for doing so.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Also we can all still see y'all's rapsheets. The issue is not disagreement with consensus. The issue is making statements that are designed to sabotage discussion by shifting burdens, rendering falsification impossible, and repeatedly re-raising rebutted claims, actions that violate the rules and are not enforced on.

You have 80+ probations almost all of them for refusing to follow the rules of D&D.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

You are misrepresenting my position; there doesn't have to be a grand conspiracy for there to be a group of users who enjoy Sartre's right to play. To wit, I am confident you know that I can't post more words about the FDA without being specifically harassed for doing so.

whatever makes this harassment is so Byzantine and tortured I can derive nothing meaningful from either the post or the probation. and again this is better solved by you blocking the poster you say is specifically targeting you, given that this targeting appears to start and end at responding to your posts.

e: like I can't emphasize enough how uninformative this is:

B B posted:

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

In other food-related news, there's some more bad news about ultra-processed foods:

Hopefully we can see some more action in the future on the obvious dangers of ultra-processed foods.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I can't even tell from context, because no one appears to reply to the post. What point is being made here? Sometimes people are lightly antagonistic towards you in easily ignorable ways?

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 13, 2024

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

koolkal posted:

It's especially funny because DV has one of the longest rapsheets in D&D, stemming largely from probes IN D&D. If we're using rapsheets as a metric of poster worthiness, DV is one of the worst posters in all of D&D. Perhaps the worst over the past year.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You have 80+ probations almost all of them for refusing to follow the rules of D&D.

nobody does it better, baby. discendo vox is the undisputed king of D&D and my singular and sincere feedback is that DV should be made mod even if he doesn't want to. mod or permaban. full throttle get this poo poo loving cooking in time for the election.

otherwise good work Koos thank you & God bless

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

koolkal posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

You've got a way longer rapsheet for consistently being an abrasive rear end in a top hat than most of the people you're yelling at.

I maintain my position from the last thread that anyone who posts like DV but with a "no joe" tag would have been forum banned long ago.

I'mma be blunt and say that while DV should've been clearer and said something like "We can tell your intent from looking either at the relevant LC entries on your rapsheet or your past posts on the subject that can be easily searched for." since lots of people can have rapsheets for irrelevant things such as joke probes; this is all not actually engaging with the point, and is deflecting from the substance of the matter at hand; that yes, it is possible to make a reasonable conclusion about someone's intentions, and conclude that the aggregate pattern of posting amounts to bad faith by looking at the history of posting in its proper context. These posts don't respond to this point.

Probably Magic posted:

What purpose. You have yet to explain this. I can tell you I argue with you not out of some amazing agenda but because you irritate me in a way that reminds me a bit of myself. Do you see how ridiculous this is though? The lengths of this paranoia?

For the lols? Some trolls are more dedicated to their craft and have more free time than others, it isn't complicated.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Ironically, C Vann Woodward took Hofstadter for task for his paranoid treatment of the populist movement in works such as the Age of Reform, which Hofstadter more or less accepted as an accurate criticism.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'mma be blunt and say that while DV should've been clearer and said something like "We can tell your intent from looking either at the relevant LC entries on your rapsheet or your past posts on the subject that can be easily searched for." since lots of people can have rapsheets for irrelevant things such as joke probes; this is all not actually engaging with the point, and is deflecting from the substance of the matter at hand; that yes, it is possible to make a reasonable conclusion about someone's intentions, and conclude that the aggregate pattern of posting amounts to bad faith by looking at the history of posting in its proper context. These posts don't respond to this point.

For the lols? Some trolls are more dedicated to their craft and have more free time than others, it isn't complicated.

Trolling isn't "sabotage," Raenir. He's also used the term "abuse" before. These are highly-charged words for at worst can be termed "harassment." This framing, by DV's own metrics, are designed to manipulate the reader. Why does he employ it then?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Valentin posted:

whatever makes this harassment is so Byzantine and tortured I can derive nothing meaningful from either the post or the probation. and again this is better solved by you blocking the poster you say is specifically targeting you, given that this targeting appears to start and end at responding to your posts.

e: like I can't emphasize enough how uninformative this is:

I can't even tell from context, because no one appears to reply to the post. What point is being made here? Sometimes people are lightly antagonistic towards you in easily ignorable ways?

That DV was harassed in the past isn't in doubt and in context isn't hard to see the ways B B was deliberately trying to push DV's buttons and clearly DV is just using it as a recent example. No one replied because IIRC it got probed surprisingly quickly.

In general this is a good example of the mods doing their job, by correctly identify a attempt in context at bad faith trolling and responding adequately.

Probably Magic posted:

Trolling isn't "sabotage," Raenir. He's also used the term "abuse" before. These are highly-charged words for at worst can be termed "harassment." This framing, by DV's own metrics, are designed to manipulate the reader. Why does he employ it then?

You're being a little too obvious here in giving the game away, so I'll say to Koos that this is the kind of thing we're talking about.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 13, 2024

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

That DV was harassed in the past isn't in doubt and in context isn't hard to see the ways B B was deliberately trying to push DV's buttons and clearly DV is just using it as a recent example. No one replied because IIRC it got probed surprisingly quickly.

In general this is a good example of the mods doing their job, by correctly identify a attempt in context at bad faith trolling and responding adequately.

Yeah B B is a good example, he used to send PMs when you'd fall for his trap and get probed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I'd love to know what game this is.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

OED def. for troll posted:

To post a deliberately erroneous or antagonistic message on a newsgroup or similar forum with the intention of eliciting a hostile or corrective response. Also transitive: to elicit such a response from (a person); to post messages of this type to (a newsgroup, etc.).

OED def. for sabotage posted:

to ruin, destroy, or disable deliberately and maliciously (frequently by indirect means).

:confused:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

"Teasing someone, much like terrorism, is designed to provoke a response."

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean you can see from the rap sheet it got probed two days later. No one replied because it didn't matter, much like a one word dm reading "owned"

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

I'm left wondering what you actually mean when you use terms like "sealioning", "concern trolling" or "just asking questions", because I don't think you're using the common definitions.

If someone claims Biden's gaffes are due to his stutter, and you then post a link that has Biden saying "My gaffes are not due to my stutter", that doesn't really seem like nitpicking?

The exchange with MP you linked also is not "sealioning". MP claims "Similarly, the fact that anyone thinks a ceasefire will put an end to the Israeli genocide of Palestinians is a great example of just how effective propaganda has been all this time". Majorian says they don't know of anyone that believes that, and asks MP to provide examples. This is bog standard "I disagree with your premise".

He then basically says that he thinks MP gave bad examples of propaganda, and you interpret that as "concern trolling". It's not, it's disagreeing with an argument.

MP claims Biden did (or attempted) "radical stuff" and is responsible for "unprecedented progressive accomplishments", and Majorian responds with "In what way have Biden's policies/initiatives/expansions of presidential powers been "radical," exactly? Can you be specific?". That is asking MP to elaborate on or support their claim. This is not what "just asking questions" means.

The posts you're linking read like mostly ordinary disagreements to me, so your post comes off like you either don't understand what these terms mean, or you're grudgeposting.

Esran fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 13, 2024

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Probably Magic posted:

"Teasing someone, much like terrorism, is designed to provoke a response."

This is a truly DV-level of hair splitting

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

yeah, those two definitions are indeed clearly different, before you even reach the level of connotation. It's especially important to note the distinction between the way the trolling definition describes an actor's behavior neutrally, while the sabotage definition imputes malice and deliberate destructiveness to the actor's intent. I agree it's confusing to use them interchangeably.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 13, 2024

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

E: This is dumb, I'm being dumb.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 13, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Valentin posted:

I mean you can see from the rap sheet it got probed two days later. No one replied because it didn't matter, much like a one word dm reading "owned"

So I remember that it had a different probe reason originally but this was changed, so its possible that this would also change the probe date? I'm unaware of this is the case or not, but lets assume this doesn't change the probe date; okay so two days later and no one engaged with the obvious troll post.

I'm unsure what about my position in my post you're quoting are you disagreeing with exactly? What are you disputing? That its two days later doesn't change the other things I said.

The meaning of the words I used is clearly their regular meaning and I'm sure you have a working definition of them that matches broadly my working definition; but to repeat and perhaps clarify, I am not saying these posts individually are necessarily these things (although I'm sure some are); but that considering context, that clearly on the whole they aggregate their way towards being those things overall. Because obviously people can make a post that in isolation doesn't break the rules, or seem to be in bad faith, but once we consider context, such as post history; whether or not a poster based on prior discussion, posts, and positions, should really in fact know better then the ignorance a particular post seems to be all of a sudden implying; that there's some level of dishonesty motivating the posts.Thus just because a single post out of context to you seems fine, it should be clear given an unbiased observer, aware of their post history, who can do an investigation, who can look at it in context what makes it problematic.

Remember, again, I never said that "This post, this post, and that post should be probed." I'm pointing out the obvious undeniable pattern that these two-three particular posters are just two recent examples I am aware of; its dozens of posters and hundreds of posts over years and what makes them frustrating; I'm not asking for Majorian and B B to be probed, but for mods to be a more active presence in threads and to keep a closer eye on posters and their posting histories; because otherwise this sort of pattern can happen.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

I have a passing familiarity with Majorian's posting, and I don't consider them to be usually employing the tactics you mention.

I think it is unrealistic to ask for moderators to take post history, and the prior discussion, posts and positions of a poster into account when dishing out probations, especially when the posts you point to as examples are so non-obviously problematic that you have to retreat to "ah, but it's not these posts specifically, you have to consider the posting history" when I ask why you're calling these posts "sealioning" or "just asking questions".

I don't think after such a retreat you can honestly still claim that there's an "obvious undeniable pattern". It reads like you don't like this particular poster, and so when they make these perfectly normal arguments, it's bad faith JAQ'ing off, but if someone else had posted the same thing, it would be fine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Esran posted:

I have a passing familiarity with Majorian's posting, and I don't consider them to be usually employing the tactics you mention.

I think it is unrealistic to ask for moderators to take post history, and the prior discussion, posts and positions of a poster into account when dishing out probations, especially when the posts you point to as examples are so non-obviously problematic that you have to retreat to "ah, but it's not these posts specifically, you have to consider the posting history" when I ask why you're calling these posts "sealioning" or "just asking questions".

Isn't the whole point of ramping probes that they take post history into account?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Moderators are in fact supposed to take a user's history of probations and practices into account. In practice this does not reliably happen, because the moderators do not read the forum, because some of them are resistant to applying punishments at all, because there may be some sort of higher obstacle to bans and forumbans, and because there is such heavy turnover among DnD moderators (a self-perpetuating problem).

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Isn't the whole point of ramping probes that they take post history into account?

Sure, but I would expect the probed post to be problematic.

Which the ones Raenir linked weren't.

I'd like moderators to not probe for completely normal posting, just because someone disagrees with the opinion being expressed or is holding a grudge from earlier.

The dreaded rapsheet should not prevent posters from countering arguments, asking for elaboration or simply disagreeing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Esran posted:

Sure, but I would expect the probed post to be problematic.

Which the ones Raenir linked weren't.

I'd like moderators to not probe for completely normal posting, just because someone disagrees with the opinion being expressed or is holding a grudge from earlier.

The dreaded rapsheet should not prevent posters from countering arguments, asking for elaboration or simply disagreeing.

I was really only contending your idea that it is unrealistic to consider post history and prior posting into consideration, but since we agree it's not, problem solved forever :v:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i know that DV has refused modship, but what about adminship

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Esran posted:

I don't think after such a retreat you can honestly still claim that there's an "obvious undeniable pattern". It reads like you don't like this particular poster, and so when they make these perfectly normal arguments, it's bad faith JAQ'ing off, but if someone else had posted the same thing, it would be fine.

I'm not sure what you mean by retreat, my point and argument regarding Majorian's, and B B's, and to a lesser extent, Cpt_Obvious's posting still stands exactly as I said them.

You seem to have interpreted my explanation in a way that's at odds with the intention of my original post; I certainly never said "not these posts specifically", if I picked them out, its because they all on some level relevant to the point about there being a pattern, and every single one contributed in their own way, but to point out that they aren't by any means the full story and that the surrounding context is important for evaluating them.

Ultimately there's a few things happening here, (1) that you fundamentally misunderstood the argument and (2) and that your reaction here tells me there's no circumstance where you will, and consequently (3) that your intentions here are to try to muddy the waters by dragging out my post in obnoxious litigation from "what even is the meaning of sea lioning/jaq'ing off/etc" to "I demand you explain in meticulous detail why these posts are relevant, so I can then disagree point by point for every post, in which you then need to explain and refute those points in turn" forever; the irony would be hilarious if weren't so equally sad.

In short, I consequently don't need to explain Majorian's posts and why they're sea lioning, when your posts have subsequently served as a perfect self-describing walking definition of what it is and what the pattern is and why people do it. I couldn't have explained it any better than how you've provided a real in real time demonstration of it, thanks. :)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Raenir Salazar posted:

As a quick point I think the clearly delineated rules are a good thing at least from the perspective of helping posters clearly define and give context for when they report a post; so even if on one hand koos you decide that mods should have wider latitude for when to use their buttons, the written rules would still be good to have as more clearly and transparent guidelines for posters in general and to help posters when they communicate with mods.

So putting aside that it wasn't initially reported by anyone who posts in CSPAM, as a follow up to my earlier post I'm going to single you out here as you've specifically have been engaging in a pretty obvious pattern of sealioning. The thing your responding to here in this very post is a pretty good example of the kind of nitpicking you've been doing that seems designed to be a drag on discussion.

In particular posts like this, which are just insincere:

None of my posts that you quoted are at all controversial.:confused: Biden is old, and he can't afford to look feeble or demented when he's making speeches or doing interviews. That's an incredibly mild take, the sort of thing that you'll hear Democratic strategists tell mainstream media sources all the time. If that's something that drives you into an apoplectic fit, that's on you. Nor were those posts made with any sort of intention to derail a conversation about Biden's age that was already in progress. The one thing I'll admit to is that, like Dreylad and basically all of us, I sometimes have a problem disengaging from heated discussions and feel like I have to get the last word in. I'm working on that, but hey, I'm a work in progress.

There are two problems with throwing around the word "sabotage," as far as I can see: one, it assumes a degree of intentionality and premeditation that probably don't really exist when someone is posting an unpopular opinion among DnD regulars.

Two, there is already a word for that: trolling. Trolls are gonna troll. Probate or ban them when they're not funny or are saying bigoted things or whatever. Calling it sabotage makes you sound deranged because it projects a level of importance onto posting in these forums that, again, does not really exist.

quote:

In short, I consequently don't need to explain Majorian's posts and why they're sea lioning

No, I think you probably should if you're going to make the accusation.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by retreat, my point and argument regarding Majorian's, and B B's, and to a lesser extent, Cpt_Obvious's posting still stands exactly as I said them.

You seem to have interpreted my explanation in a way that's at odds with the intention of my original post; I certainly never said "not these posts specifically", if I picked them out, its because they all on some level relevant to the point about there being a pattern, and every single one contributed in their own way, but to point out that they aren't by any means the full story and that the surrounding context is important for evaluating them.

Ultimately there's a few things happening here, (1) that you fundamentally misunderstood the argument and (2) and that your reaction here tells me there's no circumstance where you will, and consequently (3) that your intentions here are to try to muddy the waters by dragging out my post in obnoxious litigation from "what even is the meaning of sea lioning/jaq'ing off/etc" to "I demand you explain in meticulous detail why these posts are relevant, so I can then disagree point by point for every post, in which you then need to explain and refute those points in turn" forever; the irony would be hilarious if weren't so equally sad.

In short, I consequently don't need to explain Majorian's posts and why they're sea lioning, when your posts have subsequently served as a perfect self-describing walking definition of what it is and what the pattern is and why people do it. I couldn't have explained it any better than how you've provided a real in real time demonstration of it, thanks. :)

You are clearly incapable of distinguishing disagreement from bad faith posting or people being out to get you, so I'm now less surprised about why your initial post was pointing at completely normal posts as if they were evidence of anything.

I think your input on moderation should be ignored.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah and that's not the worst thing, probes aren't that big of a deal as long as they aren't like months long. Like I got probed yesterday or the day before for continuing a derail and I deserved it and probing me help get the thread back on track.

You can't fool me. I was a mod: the shorter the probation the longer the PM. I know how this works!!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Majorian posted:

None of my posts that you quoted are at all controversial.:confused:

Considering the multiple posters who responded to you in a majority of those circumstances I don't think you can claim that your posts weren't "controversial".

You certainly put a lot of effort though to try to seem non-controversial that's true. Insofar as "controversial" here seems to have been picked to downplay the extent in which they are "disagreeable" or "contentious". Insofar as you're trying to say "Look it isn't like I said Tiananmen Square didn't happen, its not a big deal!" sure by that standard; but that isn't whats being discussed here, no one is suggesting banning or probing you for anything (or at least I'm not) either you don't need to do this or frame things this way.

quote:

There are two problems with throwing around the word "sabotage," as far as I can see: one, it assumes a degree of intentionality and premeditation that probably don't really exist when someone is posting an unpopular opinion among DnD regulars.

Two, there is already a word for that: trolling. Trolls are gonna troll. Probate or ban them when they're not funny or are saying bigoted things or whatever. Calling it sabotage makes you sound deranged because it projects a level of importance onto posting in these forums that, again, does not really exist.

There's actually zero issues with using the word sabotage, just as there would be zero issues with using the term "throwing" in the context of a video game; there's a clear casual colloquial use that's been regularly used in non-serious contexts everywhere all the time on these forums at the very least and no one is seriously confused by it and that going to this much effort to litigate it instead of just moving on and addressing the actual substance is just about dragging things out; perhaps on purpose.

quote:

No, I think you probably should if you're going to make the accusation.

Luckily for you you can just reread the original post then; I feel like it and the subsequent posts where I further explain really should suffice to explain a problem many posters have with posting in D&D and why many are very frustrating with how moderation is in terms for every step forward there's two steps backwards that the current rules don't solve.

And lets be honest; if I am correct and you've been engaging either knowingly or unknowingly (i.e cognitive dissonance, motivated reasoning etc etc) in bad faith posting you'd obviously not be inclined to agree to believe it or admit to it; because why would you? Few people are ever actually convinced to accept the opposite position they previously held by virtue of logical argument and evidence alone. That's just not how that works I'm not sure what you're expecting to happen asking for that. If anything its strange to me to frame it as an accusation, when for me it was tuesdayjust an example of a recurring problem and this isn't actually really about you except in a vague abstract sense; you just happened to be a recent example I remembered and was easy to search for. It could've just as easily been someone else, like B B.

Ultimately you're not the audience here and my job isn't to convince you, even if you understandably might take umbrage at being singled out like this; this is a feedback thread and ultimately my audience is Koos, and my purpose is to inform and give my feedback to him, about the things, I've experienced and observed as I've personally seen and observed them; not to appeal to "and other people clap/agree with me" but I don't appear to be the only one who feels this way or have been the only one to have observed these things, I'm just the only one who was willing to put themselves out there in going to the effort to dig up enough posts to provide some sort of evidence to provide to the mods without there being accusations of "vagueposting" that something more egregious is amiss than "this guy got probed for six hours, but this guy was probed for 24 hours for the same thing whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat"; and as we've seen providing specifics just means providing specific points to be litigated endlessly.

Remember the point here for me, my intention here, isn't for mods to be hammering your posts, or you, more often; that's never been the goal; but for there to be more active mods, actively participating in the thread, and if there indeed is some possibility; that I've done you dirty and pegged you wrong, that this is a false positive, then the best and most convincing thing you can do, to convince me, that you were completely honest and forthright the entire time; is to simply say, and go, "Hey, I don't think your observations of my posts are accurate, although I understand how it can seem that way, however for what its worth I do agree with your end goal, even if I think the evidence you choose was incorrect, I nontheless believe you have a genuinely intention to see things improve, and I agree with your conclusion nonetheless, I, Majorian, #1 Zhukov Enthusiast Extraordinaire, agree with you, Raenir Salazar, that mods could be more active participants with the aim to more passively discourage bad posting, to curate a better posting experience overall."

That would literally end the issue for me, regarding you, and I'd drop it forever at least insofar as I've involved you.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 14, 2024

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

probably good news overall that metacommentary on d&d is getting so dreadfully repetitive or eyes-glazed-over'ing

kinda means there's not a lot of actual ongoing problems

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Staluigi posted:

probably good news overall that metacommentary on d&d is getting so dreadfully repetitive or eyes-glazed-over'ing

That's true, it's basically the same one long problem it's been since what 2016ish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Staluigi posted:

i'm pretty sure it's just because the thread got taken over by three terribly tiresome posters who spent an entire page just yelling back and forth at each other about petty, highly personal disagreements nobody else cares about

kind of a perfect demonstration of how D&D works in general these days